Sea Days - Love Em or Leave Em

Ginny-Lo

Then you should definitely be able to find things to do together. ;) Seriously, sea days are a great time to get back to the basics of just knowing each other.

I see that you just did a Tahiti cruise - did you post a review?

Thanks for the positive responses!

I am totally cruised obsessed. I can't decide on a cruise and stick with it. I book a cruise, still look, and decide on another. Then I book that ... and on and on ...... Very crazy!!

Anyway, I am questioning my cruise that I have booked right now. Pacific Princess - 9/09 - Hawaii/Tahiti. Because of sea days. Just me and my DH. He likes to be busy, but isn't thrilled about ports that are really overwhelming crowded. I considered Europe and changed to this one because thinking of crowded ports.

Opinions would be good - do you love them, or not, and why - What do you do on those sea days (just to get this out of the way - I know what we could or should do!! ;) )

We're going through the same thing....I'm torn between Hawaii - Tahiti or just spend a week in Hawaii and then fly to Tahiti and do the 10 day sailing of Tahiti...price wise it's comparable. I don't mind sea days, just a bit concerned about 5 in a row, I'd rather be spending my time on the islands not getting to them.

OK for all you who like sea days better. How about a cruise where the boat goes out 12 miles. Stops for the length of the cruise then goes back to port.

Think of how much fuel they will save. No more talk of a fuel mammcharge.

My husband has been touting this one for years. He calls it a Cruise to Nowhere, and thinks the perfect thing would be take a cruise from Port Everglades to Princess Cays, anchor it, and run shuttles back and forth every hour or so all day long, for the length of the cruise, then go back to Port Everglades. He wants the food, activities and entertainment of a cruise with the beach of an all-inclusive.

Me, I love sea days. Had 20 once on a cruise and they still weren't too many. But I love my port days too, especially when it's a port I haven't been to before. I guess I'm happy either way.

My husband has been touting this one for years. He calls it a Cruise to Nowhere, and thinks the perfect thing would be take a cruise from Port Everglades to Princess Cays, anchor it, and run shuttles back and forth every hour or so all day long, for the length of the cruise, then go back to Port Everglades. He wants the food, activities and entertainment of a cruise with the beach of an all-inclusive.

On the next round of boats there will be a "Empty" deck which will be make up like the next port they are going to. That way one doesn't have to leave the boat to enjoy the port.

In addition to doing nothing on sea days, the ship will offer a number of activities. These MAY include things like golf putting, shuffleboard, trivia contest, bingo, ice carving demos, tours of the kitchen, port lectures, lectures by a naturalist or a historian, movies, and other

I love both days at sea and at ports. We always try to plan the first day of the cruise at sea just to sleep and read and do a whole lot of NOTHING. Seems all of us need to catch up on sleep!

If there's another day at sea, we can join in the group activities and games, nap, then do some more group activities.

I love sea days and so does my dh they are so relaxing just to look out and see nothing but ocean. On our cruise last year we had 3 sea days and we are looking at booking the Emerald 10 day cruise which has 3 sea days.

Got to love those sea days, no stress no worries priceless.

Christine

Count us among loving the sea days. We also did the Tahitian Princess Tahiti to Hawaii cruise and loved the 5 sea days (we did stop at Christmas Island for 4 hours). This summer it's the Caribbean Princess out of NYC with 2 seas days at the beginning and 2 sea days at the end!

OK for all you who like sea days better. How about a cruise where the boat goes out 12 miles. Stops for the length of the cruise then goes back to port.

Think of how much fuel they will save. No more talk of a fuel mammcharge.

Why not lease a barge..... have folks bring their RVs aboard.... tow it out to sea the 12 miles.... then come pick them up in a week...... ;) That would be a real cheap cruise. :rolleyes:

You could even have "swim days" like the Navy. :D

I am aaaaaaaaaaaall about sea days...love 'em, love 'em, love 'em! Ships are seldom in port long enough to enjoy the island/city anyway and I am not much for getting up at dawn just to spend a few hours in port. Give me a transoceanic crossing any day!

I have a love/hate relationship with sea days. On the 3000+ passenger ships (CB and later Fincantieri Grands) there is not a quiet place on the ship to go to while your waiting to have your room made up. I tired to find a quiet place to read on the CB during the sea days last month and there was not one to be found. Skywalkers was running a trivia contest, blaring music for a childrens party or some kind of presentation in the atrium so even the library was loud, MUTS, music, basketball by the Lotus, events in the explorers and club fushion lunges, promenade no deck chairs available, and Churchills was empty but you had the slot machine musical playing right across the hall. The only quiet place on the ship was on our balcony after the room was cleaned. Needless to say, I dislike the sea days on the big ships.

On the smaller ships (Sun Class and old Royal) I loved the sea days as there was always a quiet place to read a book or just watch the ocean go by. We did a 9 day Fort Lauderdale to Southampton cruise with no stops and absolutely loved it. I brought 6 books and ended up buying another on board about the Panama Canal and finished them all by the time we arrived in England. It was the most relaxing cruise we have been on. If the ship is not stuffed to the gills, I will take a sea day versus a port day any day.

I know some people hate them, but I love, love, love sea days. Give me a good book and something good to drink, I'm golden!

Just got back into cruising the last couple of years, and have been blessed with being able to go on a lot of land vacations to many islands and Europe and being fortunate enough to see many wonderful sights. Now at this point in my life, nothing can soothe me more than sitting on my balcony, listening to the sea and just plain R&R.

My last cruise was really port intensive (5 ports over 7 days) and I really found that while it was fun, it was very hectic.

I prefer a cruise that goes port, sea day, port, sea day, that is the best of both worlds.

Have you looked at River cruises? Few "river" days and few crowded ports. A great experience, different, but great! TJ

And the nice thing about river boat cruises is ................ you don't get sea sick........:D

LOVE 'EM!!!

I don't plan anything particular for them - just sort of wing it. Depends on what's listed in the Patters or what suits my fancy that day. I love to read, lay by the pool, watch movies, hang out on the balcony, go to the spa, people-watch, crafts, or pretty much anything relaxing.

sea day or port day, any day on a cruise is my favorite :)

On sea days it is fun to lounge around and do whatever suits you. Read, enjoy tea, play bingo, watch the sea go by and just think about how wonderful it is to be on a ship ( and not at work).

Ahhhh so nice....

Fortunately everyone in my family loves sea days. 10 of 'em on our last cruise. The girl goes to the fun zone or the pool. Hubby brought his guitar on the last cruise and found a spot on the Promenade deck to play, and even jammed with a couple of other guitarists one day. I bring some books and hanker down on a deck chair, but one of my favorite days was when a bunch of us went from one trivia contest to another all afternoon long.

Have you looked at River cruises? Few "river" days and few crowded ports. A great experience, different, but great!

TJ

I never thought of a river cruise, but sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions as to cruise line or destination?

The ship is a floating hotel. I cruise for the ports and dislike sea days - Boooring!. :o

"Sea Days" cruisers can always pretend that a port day is a sea day by simply staying on board. You'll have a poolside lounger and no wait in HC.

Conversely, if I want to visit a port during a sea day the captain has to lower a lifeboeat and crew. They're kinda reluctant to do that.

On the serious side, if you sail for the sea days why not just book an AI resort? You can even leave the "compound" if you wish to see local sites.

I really feel like a prisoner during sea days. There's little on board I can't do at a resort, or even at home, in more comfort.

My last Crown cruise was near perfect, two weeks, two sea days. My next on Sea Princess even better, a ten day cruise with one sea day. Yay!!! :)

I'm looking to book a two weeker on Grand for next February. There are four sea days (Booo!), but five of the nine ports are new to me (Yay!), so I guess I'll hafta suffer the sea days for new snorkeling opportunities.

Archived