SUN PRINCESS "DAY BY DAY" CRUISE REPORT..ASIA..21st MAY...

S&D

At the end of the day AWS/tipping/gratuities !! is a personal thing, as has been said correctly above 'It is your hard earned $.' AND no one should tell you how to spend it.

As for me I have always reckoned $10 per cabin per day is fair. $10 per person per day is a bit over the top. Anyway that is my opinion only.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Good on you, Les, I'm on the 28 day SP in October and I definately won't be contributing $560 of my hard earned just so Princess/P&O can continue to pay peanuts for good work. I'll happily leave $280 in the kitty and those that deserve it will get a non cash gift for their efforts.

Frank

Thanks Crown prince, I am well aware of the policy on tipping and how it works. The fact is, as Geoff has said automatic tipping in Australia is unheard of, in fact tipping of any description is the exception rather than the rule. We did what we were comfortable with as the customer is entitled to and have absolutely no regrets at all. Whether the money was put in the pool or not at least we personally presented it to those we felt had provide exceptional service to us and wanted to make sure they knew this.

All I wanted to do was share our experience of what the options were so that others could decide for themselves what they wanted to do.

Cheers

I think the bottom line is... its YOUR money give it to whoever YOU want and if u dont want to tip.......DONT..........

What u do with you money is no one elses business so there ...

Well said, Icy.

This has been a great thread with a lot of work by sandra taken out of her hard earned holidays.

Please lets not let one persons beliefs spoil it as there is so much great information here it would be a shame for it to go poof!!!

Hi, thanks for all the replies on this thread, we are settled in - back home now - and about to throw ourselves into planning our next cruise (and the one after that too) of course!..:D :D

Thanks to everyone who posted their kind contributions, and for making this an interesting item for all the CC'ers to read!...:)

KASEYOZ....thanks so much...our thoughts entirely!!...:) :)

Sincerely....

S&D

0019-0402-0403-0506_TN.jpg.d6de9b96140679ab429f120e92672b1d.jpg

Hi Beryl

Although we removed the gratuities from our account we thought it prudent to tip those with whom we had direct and the most contact particularly where they gave excellent service e.g. our cabin steward Danilo who was a wonderful person and nothing ever seemed too much for him. We were in cabin B517 on Baja deck. We also tipped our table waiter and his assistant although not so much as Danilo. I guess at the end of the day we gave what we felt comfortable with and yes we probably saved some money over the usual tipping charge. Tipping is not a culture Aussies have been brought up on so it is a personal thing I guess. We bought a 42" LCD TV in Singapore and saved about $800, so we tipped the taxi driver generously because he was very helpful in getting it and us to the ship in the tight time frame we had.

Guessing, I would say we probably tipped overall an amount near to what Princess had originally added to our account anyway, except we directed it where we wanted it to go.

One other thing we did was to register with the future cruise consultant an intention to cruise again. By signing a form we signified our intent to sail again within 4 years. This cost us nothing at the time but gets us several advantages; Up to $150 PP on board credit on the future cruise, a full refund up to the due date of the final payment and the ability to make one change to another cruise after we had booked without penalty. Also the deposit is 50% of the stated brochure deposit. Any other benefits offered on specific sailings would also be ours to obtain. We thought this was a good deal, given we didn't have to pay anything up front and will ensure we eventually get our Platinum Captain's Circle membership, we got our Gold level on this cruise and are 1 day short of Platinum :-(.

Cheers and happy cruising.

Hi Annette & Jeff

Thanks so much for your reply and I didn't mean to start everyone giving their 5cents worth. All I wondered was if the tipping policy was different whilst the Sun was sailing as a P & O Ship. As I said in my first post we Aussies find the whole tipping thing difficult and I know when you book some cruises sailing from the US, but book in Australia, a lot of the time pre-paid gratuities are part of the price. Personally I find that quite good because then I don't have to think about it again.

I couldn't agree more with some of the comments that we all do what we feel comfortable with and that is that. Please don't think I was judging; I absolutely wasn't.

The future cruise credit is a great idea; we have done that previously and makes a big difference. How annoying to be just 1 day short of platinum - now if you were in the US you could do a 3-day cruise and get it! Never mind, all the more reason to book another cruise soon.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Beryl

The future cruise credit is a great idea; we have done that previously and makes a big difference. How annoying to be just 1 day short of platinum - now if you were in the US you could do a 3-day cruise and get it! Never mind, all the more reason to book another cruise soon.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Beryl

There are some 2 nighters coming up on Sun Princess between Syd & Melb. Not sure it is worth the plane flights to pick up that extra day for platinum though. :)

Have just got back from a trip to Thailand and was sitting on our balcony in Bophut fishing village on Koh Samui,and who happened to sail past?

The Sun princess! On the 1st of june I think it was?

I wanted to go on this Cruise but didnt have enough money so opted for a Thailand trip instead.

I got 2 photos but its a bit far away and once I get them into my computer I will post them.

Den

Kathy....lovely to hear from you...your upcoming cruise list looks great...looking forward to cruising with you again soon ..love to you both..XXXX

Den..well...that's great...we could have met up for drinks!!!:D ..anyway...consider the 2 weeker to Asia on the Sun...good prices and calm seas!!! and GREAT shopping...

Geoff.....we are clawing our way up to Elite..we have 2 more cruises to go..we are on Platinum now....about 120 days so far...not too long until the free laundry..woo hoo!!!:eek: (any excuse to avoid THOSE laundromats hee hee)

S&D

orchid.gif.42e8f98408455f82c4bff3a6d3e693fa.gif

Hi S&D,

Glad you had a wonderful time on your recent cruise through Asia, it was great to read your day to day happenings on board.... and at the wonderful shopping destinations, it really is every girls dream isn't it shopping..,shopping.. and more shopping.:D

I see you have booked your next cruise, so the excitement will be building for you again soon.;)

Thanks again for the great report, it really was a fantastic read.:)

Regards Sandie:)

Hi Frank...

the coffee is good in the dining room, also room service coffee is great - and the latte and cappucino is lovely from the bar. We bought a cappucino card for a few $$$..it lasted quite a while.

The buffett however is another story..:o ...coffee there is not too good..no problem, we just got cups of boiling water from the urn and popped our Gold Blend..;) in ourselves from a small jar we take with us...that way we start our day off right!!

Happy cruising..

S&D

111_o2.gif.8c60263ff838109e7f56144b0169f092.gif

Well done S&D. Have enjoyed your posts. A quick question? Is the coffee really as bad as I've heard. We are on the 28 day to Tahiti in October and I LOVE my coff in the morning.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I guess Sandra's endorsement is similar to our and others I have read here and on the Princess board.

When we were chasing info on the Princess board, I was amazed at the comments about buffet coffee. I thought that no place could serve coffee that bad. From experience, I know now the comments have been accurate, and I am reading similar experiences with recent SP cruisers.

I am not a coffee snob. I love a great expresso, but can also drink most instants and takeaway coffees.

In my life, I have only been served 2 coffees that I would consider totally undrinkable. The first time was in the early 80's, and the old style percolated coffee at Maccas. It was horrible & bitter. The shift manager apologised & refunded. He wasn't sure if it was the same pot that was brewing before his shift started - 5hrs earlier. The 2nd is Horizon Court on Sun Princess on 28th Dec. Don't know why it is so bad in the buffet. Like Sandra, we found the room service & dining room coffee to be OK, and the latte's / Cappucino's in Patisserie to be a good coffee.

Take your own stash if you want a coffee with your buffet meal.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your assessment of the coffee. I am not a 'coffee snob' either, and I was wondering if the average person would find the coffee undrinkable. Your comment makes it appear as if the answer is "yes". I have only had one undrinkable cup of coffee in my life - it was in a restaurant and it tasted as if it had been made with salty water. Yuk! I'll think about taking our own, although my dear husband will probably say it isn't worth the bother. :)

Sandra and Dave, good to see you still posting with your 'land legs on. !'

Thanks again for all your great info on SP. Just packing the Coffee bags and cappucino sachets right now for SP next week !:p And the Hawaiian shirt for island night.

We have also booked SP for 'Treasures of Asia' 17 June, '09. Those ports you visited sound fascinating.

Yes, you will soon hit the magic 150 days for the FL - free laundry, we will be using it.! Be interesting to see what beverages they put in the fridge.

I hope to burn a little free, SORRY !..no extra charge internet time with a couple of postings from SP from 26/6 to 14/7.

Not lon

Yes TommyH - Cruisingalong..that matter of ordering the drinks for the fridge has been taken care of..12 bottles of minerals water...Hic, I mean beer, wine and scotch !

Yes, 1 week today, sailaway.

Hi Sandra and Dave,

I have just enjoyed 3 cups of good coffee and a fab read here. Darn noro robbing you of a few days....I wonder if it's ever left the SP? I did take note of the new tips like dry cleaning cloths, personal Nescafe cache and the half price cappucino (on card).

You description of the island night took me to Raiatea and the fresh leis and garlands that will be available there...it's still too long to wait.

From your wrap, Asia looks pretty good for us some way down the track. Thankyou, Sandra (and Dennis) for giving up so my much of your holiday time to the cause...bravo.

Kind regards,

Anna

Hi Anna....

.. thanks for that!..we had a great time, and are now looking forward to the Diamond in Feb...we are also planning the next cruise for 2010 ... and - as we "cwooz a holics" all know...there is ALWAYS another one in the planning!!!:D

Happy cruising

S&D

0130-0604-2919-5357_TN.jpg.041df8cb99d858e360efba4bdc64c5a7.jpg

S&D,

Thanks so much for your detailed and informative posts, as we are doing this cruise next year have been hanging on your every word. Couple of quick questions, is there tea & coffee making in the cabins? Have been on P&O UK and they have them, coffee in the buffet must be the machines they use I think, was pretty bad on Adonia and even worse on Oriana this year. Do they do chocoholics afternoon tea? Got to have the chocolate, did you have many formal nights and theme nights. :o

Hi there Witchymob...

no kettle in cabins, just the room service coffee, which is very nice! Coffee is a little dismal in the buffett unfortunately:(

Afternoon tea is in the dining room, did not have a choccy one specifically..but always some nice choccy item up for grabs at the tea - ...cake, biccys etc.

Theme nights...Country and Western...Rock n Roll...Island/Hawaiian Night...all very good fun too...:)

We had 3 formal nights as I recall..quite dressy too!

Have a lovely cruise!

S&D:)

0037-0707-0920-3004_TN.jpg.7cdb64673549b3c0d977cea7cec346dc.jpg

Archived