Do any of you carry your own luggage onto the ship?

My son is worried about the small chance our luggage would be lost. We have cross packed and will not be bringing a carry on. He figures, why turn it over to men who have thousands of other bags to deal with when we can wheel it on ourselves? We'll be arriving around 2:00 and our cabin will be ready. We'll also be taking it OFF the ship ourselves any on departure day. Would that look odd to bring our own luggage on the ship?

My son is worried about the small chance our luggage would be lost. We have cross packed and will not be bringing a carry on. He figures, why turn it over to men who have thousands of other bags to deal with when we can wheel it on ourselves? We'll be arriving around 2:00 and our cabin will be ready. We'll also be taking it OFF the ship ourselves any on departure day. Would that look odd to bring our own luggage on the ship?

Some do, as long as it will fit through the opening of the xray machine you can carry it on. More info here

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more that 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

This option is looking better to me all the time. While I usually do self assist on the last day, I havent taken my own luggage ON the ship.

Personally I am getting tired of being told by the pier workers that if I don't tip something could happen to my luggage. Then that brown paper bag appears and I feel obligated to put my mandatory...er...bri...errr tip inside.

These guys are union and already make a decent living. Look how much tax free money they make on cruise days by picking up a suit case, taking two steps and throwing it in a cage.

This option is looking better to me all the time. While I usually do self assist on the last day' date=' I havent taken my own luggage ON the ship.

Personally I am getting tired of being told by the pier workers that if I don't tip something could happen to my luggage. Then that brown paper bag appears and I feel obligated to put my mandatory...er...bri...errr tip inside.

These guys are union and already make a decent living. Look how much tax free money they make on cruise days by picking up a suit case, taking two steps and throwing it in a cage.[/quote']

Biggest problem with carry on is that most luggage will not fit through the scanners. If they were bigger the problem would be solved.

i bring as little as possible on the ship with me...check it all curbside( excluding camers, and meds)....you really dont want to drag it around with you when you get on the ship, unless you plan on arriving after 1:30 when you can get into your cabin......make sure your tags ar on all your suitcases and that they are labeled well and you shouldnt have a problem

Some do, as long as it will fit through the opening of the xray machine you can carry it on. More info here

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more that 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

The measurements of our largest bag say 29"h x 14"w x 15"d.

Maybe my "height" is their "length" and my "deep" is their "height". No? I'm pretty sure if it wouldn't go in the X-ray machine one way it would go another. The bag doesn't look extraordinarily huge to me.

I always carry mine on and off the ship. I'm a flight attendant, so I just use the two pieces of luggaage that I use for work and there's no problem with the size of the luggage. LOL, I can live out that luggage for quite a long time.

I carried my own on last year, and won't ever do it again! What a pain. Even though it was on wheels etc. It was cumbersome and made my whole embarkation miserable. I was so tired and hot by the time we finally got on, I refused having my picture taken and only wanted to get the cabin and get rid of that thing!!! this year, just a small carryon that fits as a shoulder bag. I want to be comfortable this year!!

Because we like to arrive so early for the cruise there is no way I would ever want to carry my own luggage on....I would have to carry it with me until my room is ready - which sometimes isn't until around 2:00pm (getting one at 12:00ish). So I bite the bullet, pay the bribe...er...tip and trust that my bags get there...and they always have.

We did try disembarking with our luggage last year...not sold on it but will try it again this year....but will definetly hire a porter!!! They take you (push you) to the front of the line.

We once did a carry on each, so that we could carry it on. You say you are not bringing any carrys ons, I would bring one to have the stuff with me that you will be wanting right away like bathing suits and cameras.

Anything bigger than a carry on you will have to check.

The measurements of our largest bag say 29"h x 14"w x 15"d.

Maybe my "height" is their "length" and my "deep" is their "height". No? I'm pretty sure if it wouldn't go in the X-ray machine one way it would go another. The bag doesn't look extraordinarily huge to me.

Another party said the guidelines are 16"h, 24"w and 30" L.

Sounds like it would fit, doesn't it?

Those dimensions given were for CHECKED baggage. Carryon baggage must meet the same size guidelines as airlines, as they use the same x-ray machines. And they have the siz guides outside the terminal. And they will stop you and require you to check it if it does not fit. This is from the Baggage info on the Carnival site:

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

EM

On our last cruise the 4 of us (all adults) carried our bags on. I think all of our suitcases were pretty standard sizes and they all fit.

The case of "water" made it safely through Security as did 4 bottles of wine (in one suitcase) although they did ask to see the bottles to make sure it wasn't hard booze and my Rum Runner Flasks (1 flask in 2 different suitcases) also made it through the x-ray machine without any issues.

I don't know if I would carry them on again as we got on the ship around lunchtime and had to babysit them until the rooms were ready. It was a bit of a pain but also nice to not pay bribes or have to wait hours to get my clothes back.

No way. That would be work and I'm on vacation. I want to start my vacation and get on the ship as soon as I can. If I have to lug my suitcase around with me until the cabins are available, I am not on vacation. Even if I weren't able to get on until 1:30 or so, I still wouldn't because then I'd have to carry it through the terminal, up escalators and so on and that also seems like too much work for a vacation when I can tip a porter a couple bucks to get it on the ship for me.

Mom and I split a rolling carry-on with clothes for dinner, make-up, valuables, etc... Otherwise, I will wait until my luggage arrives and unpack it at night before bed when I have nothing else to do but sleep...

I carry my own luggage on board sometimes. It depends on what time I board. If I get to the port early I check my luggage because I don't want to carry it around with me. If I get there after 1:00 I carry it on since the rooms are usually ready by then. I pack lightly so I only have one small piece of luggage (on wheels). Whenever I've checked my luggage I received it pretty quickly...always before the ship leaves port.

Not worth carrying all of your luggage onboard and chancing hurting yourself before starting your cruise. Also its hard to get a elevator for you and your luggage as half of them will be shutdown for luggage porters and the others will be full with people, your other option is to use the stairs.

As soon as I board the ship, I have a carry-on with me and its time to relax.

Fred

I don't udnerstand why you would want too. Just the idea of standing in check in lines and get in and around terminals with luggage is too tiring for me. I want to be on vacation.

In July, we will have 2 pieces of luggage for 4 people. It is getting checked. Considering what we are spending on this cruise, $4 won't break us.

Archived