Buffet or waited meals?

We are on the Voyager later this year and the one thing I like is to be waited on at the table. I just don't do 'buffets' unless I have to. My question is is there a restaurant that serves you breakfast, lunch and dinner or are some meals always a buffet?

I enjoy 'social meals' in the company of others that linger, with good conversation, lots of laughter and of course excellent food. :)

Sit down breakfast and lunch are always served in Compass Rose. I've enjoyed many leisurely breakfasts and lunches with friends and family.

In addition to La Verandah which has a buffet breakfast and lunch, there is the Pool Grill with wonderful steak sandwiches etc, and often barbques on deck.

We're with you. We don't cruise to stand in buffet lines. We love a leisurely sit down meal prepared to order and elegantly served for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Compass Rose is open for this purpose for all three meals. The menus are wonderful. The service perfection. (This is the case with The Restaurant on the Silversea ships too.) We are in the minority regarding buffets. But we are a substantial minority. And WE OWN Compass Rose in the morning and mid-day. It is glorious. Only the Paul Gauguin on Regent essentially requires you to stand in a buffet line at lunch. Pat

I also love to be waited on at the table - but - there is not a lot of buffet to be had. Even if you go to the buffet, most things are served by a waiter. My DH loves the buffet, and I prefer the Compass Rose for breakfast and lunch. So we use the buffet on even days and the Compass Rose on odd days. Don't worry, you have you pick - and who know, some day you may want to try the buffet.

I can see that you will eat breakfast and lunch at the Compass Rose. And you will love it. Service is good, food is great! For dinner you have all the options - Compass Rose, la Veranda which becomes a Mediterranean bistro/sometimes a steakhouse (oh yes - well the antipasti are served buffet style, but that is it. The rest comes ordered and served!), Latitudes and let's not forget Signatures.

Perhaps from what you say the icing on the cake will be that you can not only eat anytime you like at the CR but you can also choose to eat with others - or not - as you wish. So you can get that good company too!!

Never waited in line at the buffet. Maybe one or two people in front of me. Just more choices at the lunch buffet but you can go to the buffet area and ask a waiter to bring you a plate of food or something from the pool grill .

We go out of our way to avoid buffet.

That is a real positive on Regent ships where you

can always go for a sit down meal.

Heck if you go to the pool grill and just want a

hamburger or something and just want to go to a table

they will come over and take your order.

Don't have to go up to the counter if you don't want to.

So Jim, do you do that on the PG too?

For me, on the Paul Gauguin, the scenery and the weather trump table service. I love Le Grill for breakfast and lunch, because I just love to be outside in that environment. But you can sit out on the balcony of La Veranda and have table service too, although I guess the selection is limited.

Don't forget room service. The company is usually the best! ;)

Can anyone comment on quality of food by the time when it arrives to the cabin? I mean is it still warm, and would meat/fish be overcooked?

Thanks.

Actually, Jim B, you can't always go for a sit down meal on Regent in the sense that I think you mean that. You can on Voyager or Mariner and, I think, on Navigator, but not on the PG. At lunch on the PG, you must "dine" in a buffet venue. Now Regent and others will assure that there is a menu option in the buffet venue on the PG. And that is technically true. But the "menu" is a five by eight preprinted card sitting on your table on which is listed a few room service standards like hamburgers and hot dogs and "catch of the day." (This is the kind of "menu" you find at truck stops minus "catch of the day.") Classy! The "catch," Mahi Mahi, is awful and served poorly plated and at room temperature with a boiled vegetable and steamed rice, cheap cafeteria stuff. And the Mahi Mahi option never changes, at least that was the case when we were aboard and when a friend cruised on the PG about six weeks later. The "menu option" appeared, in my opinion, designed to highlight the attractions of the PG lunch buffet. In that respect it was a smashing success. Pat

Can anyone comment on quality of food by the time when it arrives to the cabin? I mean is it still warm, and would meat/fish be overcooked?

Thanks.

We usually have breakfast in our suite and find it quite good. They are a bit challenged with soft boiled eggs. . either too hard or too soft. The temperature of the food is okay - coffee hot. . . There is something about leisurely eating breakfast (especially on the balcony -- weather permitting). . . having the table set up perfectly. . . . really happy that we'll be on the Mariner this Friday. While dining in Compass Rose is amazing, we're not quite ready to give up our morning room service. Hopefully someone will post about meat/fish (think I'll try lamb chops for breakfast on this cruise). :)

We've had room service on both - not usually for breakfast but mostly for days when we have been out all day sightseeing and are very tired when we get "home".

No complaints - at all! - re warmth of food (nor variety, since you can order off the menu from the Compass Rose at mealtimes), nor speed of service, nor speed of clearing. AND - I was shocked to find, the first time we were on Mariner that you can simply order a bottle of whatever red or white they are pouring that night. I thought we would be brought a glass of red, and when dinner arrived - there was a whole bottle (and we weren't driving!!)

Best room service of all - during our Panama Canal transit. We were up at 5.30 on Deck 12 and watched - outside on our feet - for three hours as we came into the first lock and the dawn broke. At 8.30 I was not only tired, but famished (though there was a continental breakfast being served in the Observation Lounge). We retreated to our own balcony and ordered smoked salmon and bagels and coffee. Sat on the balcony really enjoying the view of the locks when my husband said "Hey - we're eating lox in the locks"!! It was truly an unforgettable moment!!

Our experience on the PG goes back a few years to 2004 & 2005. At that time table service indoors or outdoors in La Veranda for breakfast provided a wide selection of choices as did room service. In fact, we found that we could write in food choices on the room service menu that were not printed on it and they always arrived with our meal. (Papaya with lime for example)

I don't mind the lunch buffets on the PG at all. No waiting at any time and often had waiters graciously offering to carry my plate to a table for me.

Archived