Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

I'm thinking Marja meant not posting on CC, not "no longer with us" as in passed away!

I know many who aren't as active, as they aren't cruising right now... Then their are the die hards (pardon the pun) who post whether they are cruising or not!

Host Dan

Thank you for explaining what I meant Dan - you understand most everything I mean these days....:rolleyes:!

Have a nice day!

Marja

• 3 weeks later...

Who's the Best?

ahttp://www.avidcruiser.com/blog/2009/08/03/the-razor’s-edge-who’s-the-best-luxury-cruise-lines-square-off/?utm_campaign=Luxury-Cruise-Square-Off&utm_medium=press-release&utm_source=press-release

q712156779_3077.jpg

Marja Koenen-NatDear Zanele! How are you and Sikho doing?

Not only I am wondering, but a lot of people on Cruise Critic (fans of yours) too!

All going well I hope?

Love

xxx

q597776839_8600.jpg

Zanele Zwane We are doing well thank you. Am eight months pregnant now and cannot wait to see him. Am bored though of staying at home. God Bless! Much love!

7 minuten geleden

q712156779_3077.jpg

Marja Koenen-Nat We all wish you (both) all the best Zanele! One more month! Promiss to show us the photos soon. "He" will be a very pretty baby for sure!

Much love,

Marja and family and Cruise Critic Seabourn Board members!

2 seconden geleden

This "Conversation" speaks for itself I think!

Marja

Sorry. His site is a mess. Try this link and you will see a link to the article.

http://info.avidcruiser.com/luxury_cruise_line_review/?utm_campaign=luxury-cruise-report-landing

Thanks for adding the note from Zanele!

My link was working fine already Jane, but yours is a different one! Check it if you like!

Marja

• 2 weeks later...
5 Star Luxury Hotels dropping stars to improve bottom line:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a0Jx2BsWXajo

I do hope this trend stays with the hotel chains and doesn't impact the luxury cruise lines. (Although I highly doubt they would ever make such changes public as the hotel chains have)

Host Dan

Celebration New York: Empire State Building in Orange!

400 years ago the Dutch ship "De Halve Maen" arrived in Manhattan.

The Dutch royal family is in New York to celebrate as well as a replica of that ship and many more.

Though the Dutch flag is red-white-blue, our national colour is: Orange!

Marja

m1dz0qeae6en.jpg.cd2aac1b0caea46c3a3452f094965772.jpg

Celebration New York: Empire State Building in Orange!

400 years ago the Dutch ship "De Halve Maen" arrived in Manhattan.

The Dutch royal family is in New York to celebrate as well as a replica of that ship and many more.

Though the Dutch flag is red-white-blue, our national colour is: Orange!

Marja

And the Dutch football team beat Scotland 0-1 this week, too. Truly a blessed people! ;)

Has anyone used the Mobal GSM World Phone - International Cell Phone? I will need a cell in October. I know they work only on land, and that is what I need. I have Verizon and have been told they don't have international service. I don't want to get a new service. I am also not sure about buying a 'cheap' phone when I get to Italy, but I could. My other option is to rent one from ZVS which I understand works very well but is more expensive. Thanks.

Edited by JaneBP
Addition

Jane:

I bought one a few years ago when I was going on several overseas trips, "just in case" I needed it. (I had Verizon at the time, too!)

It's good that you only get charged for the calls you make (after purchasing the phone, or renting it...), but I don't believe I ever used it. Now, since I changed to AT&T a while back (and added international calling), it just sits in its box.

It may be cheaper just to get a local phone in Italy, if that's the only spot you'll need it any time soon...but if you'll need a phone internationally for the next few years, it might be worth it.

Just my thoughts!

Paul ;)

We used the rental service prior to having our own AT&T Raser that I love. The rental worked out well...to\\it was shipped to us and they have the box ready for you to ship it back. It worked well. It was a bit cumbersome as opposed to the tiny cells like mine, though that may have improved through the years. Lola

I have Verizon and have been told they don't have international service.

Jane -- you might want to check with Verizon on that -- may be they have added international service since you last inquired. My wife's Verizon phone works fine throughout the Caribbean (though not in Europe). If you are outside N. America, take a look at the Verizon web site and you will see they work on Seabourn ships as well. Might be just access on the ship is OK?

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

BTW -- the issue is the technology involved. Verizon (and Sprint) use CDMA, while the rest of the world uses GSM. My business phone, which I travel with, is a quad-band phone to take care of that problem. Probably your phone is CDMA only. Again, the shipboard option doesn't care which.

on the subjecty of communications..I will be taking my first cruise on Seabourn next year. How does one stay in touch with back home when on a boat? We're sailing on the Legend.

thanks

Number one clue..DO NOT use the telephone. It is costly. If you cell is GSM contact your company and see if the area you are in is covered. The other option is renting...SB can help you there. Buying phone cards at your ports works well too. There are computers aboard..you have to pay for the time used..and there are faxes too..though expensive. I'll bet you are really excited..the Legend, by the way, is our favorite. :)

Thanks LaPaloma for the advice.

I am excited and nervous at once. Legend looks fantastic, I just hope it will live up to our expectations. We have resisted cruising for years in favour of land based travels. I think we have to adjust our expectations and understand that it will be a different experience. My MAIN worry is that when I travel I like to IMMERSE myself into the local culture (OK, somewhat immerse, nice hotels, certain buffers for sure), but generally speaking when I visit a country I like to soak it up and I'm afraid that with a cruise it won't be that way. Let's face it, everyone will be speaking english at dinner, I kind of like to hear families and couples speaking the local dialect. but the tradeoff is to be on the water, I've never done that before, so that will be very special. Pluses and minuses right?