Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

1200 children? That's not a cruise, that's a sentence! Hope you had a good time anyway, Dan.

Had a good time. RCCL tries extremely hard to please... I think we will be combining 2 of our usual mass market cruises, and booking an extra SB cruise in the future though!

Host Dan

Had a good time. RCCL tries extremely hard to please... I think we will be combining 2 of our usual mass market cruises, and booking an extra SB cruise in the future though!

Host Dan

If it wasn't summer or school vacation, it would have been very different. Once a group of families from Boca asked us to join them on Navigator of the Seas over Christmas break. The first day in Johnny Rockets I had screaming babies, kids and Spanish screaming Moms on both sides of me. I wanted to get a gun and blow my head off.

If it wasn't summer or school vacation, it would have been very different. Once a group of families from Boca asked us to join them on Navigator of the Seas over Christmas break. The first day in Johnny Rockets I had screaming babies, kids and Spanish screaming Moms on both sides of me. I wanted to get a gun and blow my head off.

Your first mistake was ever walking into a Johnny Rockets! Worst burgers on the planet! ;)

Host Dan

MarianH,

Since you are obviously very interested in which Seabourn cruises I have been on lately here's a list of the ones I remember.

53 days on the Odyssey World Cruise

Odyssey maiden voyage

22 days on the Spirit in the Far East in Feb/March 2009

Legend Crossing (can't remember whether it was 2008. Think so)

Fjords on the Pride (can't remember exact dates but in the last three or four years)

Baltic on the Pride (same)

Panama Canal on the Legend (same)

Hope this helps you.

Thanks so much. Looks as though I was wrong. I thought our paths may have crossed on the Sojourn. Not to worry, as we are clearly both keen on patronising Seabourn the opportunity may arise in the future. Actually, our regular Caribbean escape this year will not be on Seabourn( problems with dates) but on Silversea ( Spirit). No doubt we will be back with Seabourn next year!

MarianH,

Since you are obviously very interested in which Seabourn cruises I have been on lately here's a list of the ones I remember.

53 days on the Odyssey World Cruise

Odyssey maiden voyage

22 days on the Spirit in the Far East in Feb/March 2009

Legend Crossing (can't remember whether it was 2008. Think so)

Fjords on the Pride (can't remember exact dates but in the last three or four years)

Baltic on the Pride (same)

Panama Canal on the Legend (same)

Great trips...we may have connected on a few of those cruises. We were on the Spirit Feb. 14 from Singapore to HK in 09 but we stayed on for the next leg to Shanghai....you are a good one to speak on the Odyssey vs. the sisters, but you have already said things and this is a topis that gets beat to death. I'm still curious because we have yet to do the big ships.....next year! We have done all the cruises, except the Fjords. It's on my list plus a crossing!!

redheadednancy,

I was on that February 14th Spirit cruise and also stayed on to Shanghai. I'm sure our paths must have crossed.

I'm sure it did ......that was such a port intensive trip and we didn't want to miss a thing...only thing I would like to have missed is the cold weather in Shanghai. And of course I had my usual two days in bed when we crossed the China Sea...the motion got me. We didn't bring enough warm clothes for Shanghaii. We stayed on a week in Shanghai at the Intercontinental. We also did a week in Singapore on the front end. Just a great trip. I do remember a couple from California...Montecito and another one from San Francisco where our guest lecturer, Roy Willis was from. Would you share what area of CA you are from to jog my memory?

If I could figure out how to post a picture on my redheadednancy page, I'd post a picture....I have a Mac and use Iphoto.

If I could figure out how to post a picture on my redheadednancy page, I'd post a picture....I have a Mac and use Iphoto.

Nancy, I also use Iphoto on my Mac and I have had some luck in putting the picture on my desktop then go half way down on this page and ck manage attachments hopefully you can download your picture from your desktop. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And if it doesn't work maybe someone with more computer skills can offer advise that we both can use.

Shirley

Nancy,

I'm from Palm Springs. I didn't find Shanghai too cold but Wuxi was freezing. We only stayed in Shanghai for two nights, having been there before. Also a few days in Singapore precruise as well. I agree, one of the best cruises.

Nancy,

I'm from Palm Springs. I didn't find Shanghai too cold but Wuxi was freezing. We only stayed in Shanghai for two nights, having been there before. Also a few days in Singapore precruise as well. I agree, one of the best cruises.

Well I found you in my book and your name is familiar but I can't put with a face. I am sure we visited probably for a few minutes sometime!! I agree Wuxi was awful but the wind in Shanghaii was awful. It was our first trip there and we were determined, cold or not, to do it all! Enjoyed reading some of your comments on the SS board. The nice thing is with cruisers, eventually paths may cross!!

I'm sure ours will cross.

Did you play trivia on that cruise?

We did, but we are not the greatest. We had a fun team that came in last! Some were so serious, I couldn't believe it. We enjoy the fellowship and the fun but if I was on the Sojourn in December I would just have to watch....too many good ones there, I can tell by posts!!! However, we did have an occasional moment of brilliance and got one that NO ONE knew (my husband is an engineer/ numbers man) so that sort of redeemed us. Luckily our team was NOT serious. I am sure YOU were on the winning team and that may be where I remember your first name from.

I much prefer trivia on the small ships. And I like the way the CDs on the triplets run it much better as well. That particular cruise was lots of fun. I honestly can't remember of our team won or not. What's another bookmark?????

I much prefer trivia on the small ships. And I like the way the CDs on the triplets run it much better as well. That particular cruise was lots of fun. I honestly can't remember of our team won or not. What's another bookmark?????

I will look forward to it at Christmas on Legend and then probably be disappointed in the TA crossing on the Quest, but it will be another experience...all are good in the end...not a bad life!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting that Jane.

I had just been trying to decide on places to try in Singapore. I will mainly do Hawker food I think but for my final special meal before I have to return to the real world this sounds lovely.

Regards, Julie

For those stopping in Singapore, the restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental, Dolce Vita, received a good review here;

http://www.johnmariani.com/current-issue

I stayed there a while ago and enjoyed it very much. But I did not eat there. There are so many small vendors in the malls and in the street with dekicious food sold so cheaply. It is a shame not to sample them.

Good as I'm sure it is I would certainly not travel to Singapore to eat Italian food.

That is why our first night off the ship I will be indulging in Chilli crab and Kang Kong at a great little stall I know in Lau Pau Sat. My husband will probably have whole marinated chilli grilled fish on it's own little coal fired grill. Most of our food over three days will be Hawker or Indian in Little India.

But our final full night it will be nice to have a romantic meal in lovely sorroundings before we go back to the (enjoyable) mayhem of children, dogs and large family Christmas.

Regards, Julie

Nor Italy to sample Singaporean cuisine.

Although in London I found a great restaurant that purportedly serves the cuisine of Singapore, The Bugis Street Brasserie at the Millennium on Courtfield Street, near the Gloucester Road Tube Stop. I wasn't to sure about the authenticity, never having traveled there, but it was very good!