Signs of slowing demand & pricing weakness

Mikel1733

They have stopped making plans for new cruise ships to let demand catch up to the prices they need to charge to make a profit.

Europe demand is not down that Iv heard, and they have already moved a lot of ships to Europe, especially RCL.

The only place demand really might slip is where there is more competition, on the East Coast of Florida and Calif. Prices are up from Galveston from this time last year.

I still think Carnival Cruise Line will do fine in this environment. People who are dedicated to cruising will move from the higher-priced cruise lines to value-priced CCL.

Of course, many of those other cruise lines are owned by Carnival Corp.!

They have stopped making plans for new cruise ships to let demand catch up to the prices they need to charge to make a profit.

Europe demand is not down that Iv heard, and they have already moved a lot of ships to Europe, especially RCL.

The only place demand really might slip is where there is more competition, on the East Coast of Florida and Calif. Prices are up from Galveston from this time last year.

How many ships can they send to Europe before they have excess supply there? They can't send all of them. I don't think competition is that big a factor either. I think that airlines charging to take ANY bag:eek: and cutting down on flights will hurt cruiselines more, as well as a weakening economy. People who live close enough to afford to drive to a port and can still afford to cruise will benefit from all this.

I think that airlines charging to take ANY bag:eek: and cutting down on flights will hurt cruiselines more, as well as a weakening economy. People who live close enough to afford to drive to a port and can still afford to cruise will benefit from all this.

I agree! I was checking prices again today and for our week we always do in Dec the prices have come down considerable in the Caribbean. Balcony cabins of our choice in the 6 and 7 hundred figures. We have never paid that price for the same week ever. Now add the higher air fare you will probably come out about the same:p The only cruises that have not dropped are like Firefly says out of Galveston. I think we will see some awesome deals in the months to come......I'm holding out:D

How many ships can they send to Europe before they have excess supply there? They can't send all of them. I don't think competition is that big a factor either. I think that airlines charging to take ANY bag:eek: and cutting down on flights will hurt cruiselines more, as well as a weakening economy. People who live close enough to afford to drive to a port and can still afford to cruise will benefit from all this.

I hope you are right!!! I wouldnt mind a price reduction on my 09 cruises, have 3/4 planned.

I don't think a lot of people realize how many people have been cruising on debt borrowings. Now today it is reported that many people are in such bad shape financially they are selling their life insurance policies for 20 cents on the dollar for liquidity. Many folks borrowed against the equity in their home and that game is over. And I agree you can only send so many ships over to Europe.

Agreed!

Slowdown is inevitable. When people have trouble paying bills, buying groceries and gas, buying goods and services, they aren't going to plan what is still considered a high-end vacation. Around where I live, near Philadelphia on the Southern New Jersey side, they are talking about "Staycations"......staying home.

Rentals at the Jersey and Delaware beaches are way, way down...with prices lower than the past 4/5 years. Seems many people are planning to stay home and do day trips to local attractions....

It's also inevitable that the cruise companies will go where the money is. Our dollar is certainly not favorable on the world market while other countries are enjoying the best rate in years. It makes economic sense that those companies who can, will repo to European ports. There's a lot more people in Europe -- a bigger market...and their economies are still going. They've been paying outrageous fuel prices for years and have long ago adapted.

Hopefully, this will mean real bargains for those of us who still manage to get on a ship a few times a year. I look forward to the possibilities.

They've been paying outrageous fuel prices for years

and have long ago adapted.

Love that pearl of wisdom and truth.

Recent surcharges are just a convenient excuse/"reason" to nickle and dime us some more.

Cruise ships often dawdle from port to port' date='overnight,

using next to no fuel for propulsion.

[i']The generators use more than the engines do![/i]

I cruise solo so there is no such thing as a lower price. I would like to pay 150% of the single fare, but no, I get stuck with 200%. I have moey in the bank and monthly savings from my pay to cover all costs, but it is still pricy. I don't have anyone else to go with, rather I prefer going alone because I don't have to work around someone else as to when they want to get up/go to bed, eat, tours, etc....

I can hope the prices go down for cruise fare and airline because I want to do my 40th birthday in style next year....

The Europe cruise we have booked for August has gone down in price $700 per person. That is a lot of money to be discounted. There are lots of cabins still available for the 8/26 sailing in every catagory. My TA said the Europe cruise demand is down due to the weak dollar. The prices are getting lower with the hope that more people will then book them.

The Europe cruise we have booked for August has gone down in price $700 per person. That is a lot of money to be discounted. There are lots of cabins still available for the 8/26 sailing in every catagory. My TA said the Europe cruise demand is down due to the weak dollar. The prices are getting lower with the hope that more people will then book them.

Nice! Keep your eye on the price til the very end. You might be getting more back.........or obc:)

You guys are scaring me lol, now I dont know if Im doing the right thing to book in advance or not.

you really can't go wrong with booking in advance though. If the prices go down, you simply contact your T/A or PVP & have your rate reduced and if the prices go up, you're already locked in. Either way, you are good.

you really can't go wrong with booking in advance though. If the prices go down, you simply contact your T/A or PVP & have your rate reduced and if the prices go up, you're already locked in. Either way, you are good.

Thats not 100% true, its mostly true. I cant name sites, but I just went ahead and paid for one today that is totally non refundable period.

The others there would be no point in putting up so many deposits if you really think the price will go down, then why have 4 cruises booked, 3 of which Iv fully paid for. One left to pay for. Might as well leave the money in the bank.

What you believe will determine if you book ahead of not. Im flexible so could grab a good last minute deal if I thought that was smarter, up until now that hasnt been the right thing to do.

Hi I booked the Splendor sometime in december for the November 21st sailing for our honeymoon. We paid 1199 a person for an aft balcony. Right now prices are 1429. Is there a reason why this cruise has jumped in price so much yet others are dropping.

Hi I booked the Splendor sometime in december for the November 21st sailing for our honeymoon. We paid 1199 a person for an aft balcony. Right now prices are 1429. Is there a reason why this cruise has jumped in price so much yet others are dropping.

Splendor is the newest ship. They always start out higher then the others.

Archived