Evening Shoes & Hosiery for formal Night Helps Girls Leaving in 4 days

Ok, I was raised in the generation that with a dress you always wore hosiery. I have purchased these evening shoes that are (hope I can describe them right) Clear across the top of your foot with a row of sparkle stones and black strap on the heel and they are open toe.

I'm wearing a little below the knees solid black dress with a sparkle jacket for Formal night. Now my off black stockings don't look right.

What to do? No hosiery? (my Mom if still living would say NO) I have a good tan and the shoes look better with out the off black stockings.

Please Help leaving in 4 days.

Marcy

Run to the pharmacy and get some of that Bandaid clear slippery stick stuff that prevents blisters. Feet tend to swell on board for many of us, and if you end up not wearing the hose, you may still be able to slip your feet into the shoes. Why black hose? Why not just tan color?

Thanks barelegged is what I needed to hear. Just thought people would think I was awful not wearing hosiery formal night. I have tried dress and shoes with and without and as far as the shoes goes they fit fine with or without the hose and look better without.

Thanks,

Marcy

definitely go barelegged. The last time I wore hose was when my mom made me do it with an easter dress when I was about 13 (I'm now 29). She never picked that fight again :p Shave - and show off those great legs of yours. You'll probably be more comfortable anyway. Have a great time.

I think I do know the type of shoe you are talking about, I have a pair myself. If these are the plastic type of clear on the top I want to warn you that they are extra hard to get into if your feet swell on the ship. They just do not have much give. You might want to purchase a clear ped or something along that line just in case.

Sorry - but I too think hose with a formal dress - I wear very sheer, thigh hi's, natural color with sheer toe, with all of my formal dresses, black, berry, red, etc.

I vote for sheer hose - it is a much more refined look - but hey - it is your show.

Hosiery is not "in" or "out", it's simply that we have options now that we didn't have in the past.

Generally speaking I think that a formal night dress looks more finished, polished and well....more formal..with hose.

But that doesn't mean that barelegged isn't okay as well.

The shoes you describe - clear with open toes - definitely would look odd worn with hosiery whether black or nude.

So if you have the legs for it, go for bare legs. Red polish on your toenails would give the shoes a nice look too.

While I agree hose looks good with formal wear, there is nothing IMO worse that hose (even very sheer) with open toed shoes. So, assuming your legs are in good shape, get a little tan (even some spray-on) and go bare legged. BTW, you CAN purchase toeless and spray-on hose if you feel you really must have your legs covered.

I always wear hose with dressy shoes. My feet are a little sensitive and hurt too much without hose no matter how expensive the shoes are.

I think shoes/sandals with hose look far better than someone limping along or walking barefoot just because their shoes hurt too much...just make sure at home you can handle the shoes without hose for an eening.

If you want to wear hose, but not off black I typically find jet black which is deeper black and looks sharper with a black dress. As far as bare legs or not, I don't go that way normally as I don't have the legs or tan for it and feel more comfortable in hose with a dress.

Sindee

I NEVER wear hose on a cruise, even on formal night! There is something about being on a ship that seems to make me think hose just isn't necessary!

Just do what you feel comfortable with. There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to go.

With what you described, I would DEFINITELY go hose-less if it were me. Show off that tan, girlfriend!! :D

• 1 month later...
Your mom would also say wear gloves and a proper hat. I'm assuming that you're wearing neither. Some items simply go out of style. Forgo the hose and step into the the 21st century!

Excuse me, but I am 32, and I still wear hats, gloves and stockings. True elegance never goes out of style, and considering some of the atrocities I have seen in the 21st century (G-strings hanging out of cut-off jeans, exposed belly fat, dirty feet clad in rubber flip-flops, etc.) I much prefer the style of Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly. They are still admired today, and I doubt that will happen 50 years from now to today's starlets.

i was at a wedding over the weekend. almost all the women were wearing hose, at least the dressier ones. the only ones that werent were the 'cell phone" girls that were wearing flip flops.

You know, sometimes folks get so tangled up arguing over the nylons/pantyhose issue that they tend to forget there are those of us who wear the dratted things upon the advice of our doctors.

I'd love to go bare-legged but medical issues this past year have wreaked havoc on my legs, causing IMHO ugly varicose veins to appear. I'm a nurse and on my feet alot and simply refuse to wear the heavier stockings my doctor insists would be best for me.

I have found that wearing the Sheer Energy support hose in the sheerest style works well for me, increasing my peripheral circulation adequately and decreasing the heavy-leg feeling I get when I don't have them on.

It's not unusual for me to wear an old pair of support hose when I have shorts on at home, to garden, wash the car, etc., because at the end of the day my legs don't hurt.

I'd love to be brave enough to wear them with shorts on my cruises and I'd even wear them with my swimsuit if I though I could get away with it! But even though wearing support stockings of some type are a medical necessaity, could you all imagine what the fashion police would have to say about that!!!!!

Archived