Aqua or Aft must decide today

bahi

Blu has a rumored $30 fee for non AQ pax. Any word on whether AQ pax will be able to carry their Blu "credit" over to other specialty restaurants?

Wow! If that were true I would have booked Aqua Class in a minute. I love my aft cabin big balcony or not. Just for the view alone.

I have 2 cruises booked on the Solstice. I am not 100% sold on what kind of food Blu will have. I will try it as a Specialty Restaurant in Dec and then decide if I want AQ on my next cruise.

There is not too much of a price difference between AQ and CC1.

I am also looking forward to the new menus, china and silver in the main dining, as well as the other people at our table.

So those of you on the cruises this Nov., please report back on the details of AQ style cruising.

Cote d'or: You said it!

Sounds like we're all in about the same "confusion" boat.

I too was going nuts over what type of cabin to choose....c1, c2, Aqua...My big considerations are balcony size & food....With no input/feedback, it's so hard to make the decision....Ended up going for the c2...found cabin 9366, which looks like it might have a slightly larger balcony for a c2. Is it my imagination, or do you have to "downgrade" out of concierge class to get a larger balcony? Seems that way by the schematic.

Cote d'or: You said it!

Sounds like we're all in about the same "confusion" boat.

I too was going nuts over what type of cabin to choose....c1, c2, Aqua...My big considerations are balcony size & food....With no input/feedback, it's so hard to make the decision....Ended up going for the c2...found cabin 9366, which looks like it might have a slightly larger balcony for a c2. Is it my imagination, or do you have to "downgrade" out of concierge class to get a larger balcony? Seems that way by the schematic.

Y'know, you really can't trust those schematics. The cruise line is saying that every single standard balcony will be the same size...but of course we know that won't be precisely true. However, you can't judge by the drawings. Since neither of these ships are actually completed yet, the only thing we can do is look at pictures - and there are some GREAT threads in here with lots of pictures of the Solstice at various stages of construction. That's how I determined that the aft cabins are NOT going to be bigger than standard...if you look at all the photographs of the transom under construction, they really do appear to be the exact same size. The only standard balconies that I can see that seem to be extended are the ones on the angle of the hump.

While none of us can tell exactly what the food will be like on Blu, I think there's a reeeeeeally good chance that it will be on par with the other specialty restaurants, meaning that it will be significantly better than the main dining room food. Just the fact that all of the specialty restaurants are clustered together, and thus are probably sharing a galley, says a lot. AND the fact that they are (reportedly) charging $30 a head for non-AQ pax to go there - it damn well BETTER be much better than main dining, or what are they paying for? That right there was the selling point for me, because at this point the price less than $200 more than CC (which we knew we wanted anyway), which WAY MORE than covers the $30 pp fee. Mine is a 13 night cruise, so if we wanted to eat in a specialty restaurant all 13 nights that would be an additional $390 pp!

I was a little hesitant about the hump rooms because of wind. Unfounded?

I chose under the acupuncture area.

There will be an overhang I believe that might make the cabin a little less lit up from the sun as a result, it will be quiet I would think due to the nature of the business from above. Unless there are some crazy storms or crazy winds that are blowing into that side of the ship, you probably won't notice much effect.

We are on Nov. 30 Soltice as well. We chose C1 at the back of the ship..deck 9. After our recent experience on the Infinity, we won't book another cabin under the pool deck. Unfortunately, all of the AQ staterooms are located under the pool deck on the Solstice. We always love the aft...it is usually very quiet and great views..Those C1 cabins, aft, are about 192 sq ft with a 57 sq ft balcony..big enough for a couple of chairs and a table. Actually on that ship..the standard verandah, CC class, Aqua Class and Sunset Ver. are all the same size. Only difference is the location, and in the case of Aqua Class..the spa/Blu priviledges. Hope this helps..

Restaurant wise - have heard that Tuscan Grille surcharge is $10 and Silk Harvest is $25.

Room wise - does anyone have any ideas regarding the metal work at the aft of the ship. I have got 2C #6302 on hold because it looks like a huge balcony on the plans. Just worried that half of my balcony will be covered with metal. Thanks.

Lee: Let me say, first, that I've read some of your posts, and I don't understand why some ppl have flamed you for no reason...So there!!! LOL...

Well, according to the schematic, the balcony of the cabin I referred to "corners off," so it seems to have a bit more room...sort of hard to describe....you'd have to look at it....There are only two c2's I found that are like that. Sort of in the category of the "secret cabins" of the M-class, possibly, but for all I know, there will be a giant pole in front of my balcony! LOL. Seems the difference b/w C1 & C2 is location....I'm a strange duck, tho, and prefer aft to mid ship, so C2 works better for me (anyone: correct me if I'm wrong)....

Lee: I think you're right in that the food in Blu should def be a step up from the regular dining room. My hesitation was based on the following: a) I'm not really a "spa" person, so I probably wouldn't take advantage of the spa perks, b) I'm not sure my boyfriend would appreciate the "clean" cuisine as much as I would and c) I think it would bug me a little to pay several hundred more for aqua class and then on top of that pay extra to try the other specialty restaurants....oh, plus, if my balcony does in fact provide the "extra" room I'm seeking, that's an added bonus to my c2. Again, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm missing something, as I have plenty of time to change!!! I've only cruised X once & was fortunate enough to grab cabin 6144 on Millie....a magnificent CC cabin tucked among the suites...amazing.

While it's so exciting to be cruising a new ship, I'm an info hound, and wish we had more to go on...but I guess we will after November!

There will be an overhang I believe that might make the cabin a little less lit up from the sun as a result, it will be quiet I would think due to the nature of the business from above. Unless there are some crazy storms or crazy winds that are blowing into that side of the ship, you probably won't notice much effect.

Aren't the hump AC cabins and royal suites still under the pool deck ?

bumpcabinssolsticeil6.jpg

In what I have read about the Blu menu's I don't think it's clean in that it is more fitful or healthful than any other menu on board. I never thought the Aqua Spa was often times either. By way of example, the desserts were neither low fat or sugar free. They had a fruit garnish. I can get that on the reqular menu. I am not complaining I know what to eat and what to avoid, I am just of the opinon that gourmet is not necessarily heathful.

Aren't the hump AC cabins and royal suites still under the pool deck ?

bumpcabinssolsticeil6.jpg

The poster indicated hers was under the acupuncture area. I'd have to go to the deck plans and see where it is...these humps that are directly on the hump that you have here are suites, the angled ones might be AC, there are also other angled in a second area that might be under the spa area.

We are on Nov. 30 Soltice as well. We chose C1 at the back of the ship..deck 9. After our recent experience on the Infinity, we won't book another cabin under the pool deck. Unfortunately, all of the AQ staterooms are located under the pool deck on the Solstice. We always love the aft...it is usually very quiet and great views..Those C1 cabins, aft, are about 192 sq ft with a 57 sq ft balcony..big enough for a couple of chairs and a table. Actually on that ship..the standard verandah, CC class, Aqua Class and Sunset Ver. are all the same size. Only difference is the location, and in the case of Aqua Class..the spa/Blu priviledges. Hope this helps..

Jazmyn, can I ask what it was about being under the pool deck that bothered you the most? I'm going under the assumption that the primary noise issue has to do with night-time or early-morning noise, waking you up...and since I sleep with earplugs that doesn't concern me. But if it's disturbingly noisy all the time, that might alter my opinion...

You are correct that all the standard balconies are the same size...with the only difference (as far as I can tell) being those angled hump cabins, which seem to have a larger balcony (albeit with an overhang).

Little Brittain - Having stared at those construction photos, I cannot see any aft balconies that look ANY larger than the standard. Look at the shots, you'll see what I mean. DON'T trust the "plans" or drawings.

Real Deal - garsh, thanks! I have my theories why some of those folks flamed me - most of them were probably TA's that didn't like it that I was suggesting people should shop around to get a better deal, as it might cut into their profits. Others just...well...like to argue, I guess. ;) Anyway, what did you use to determine the size of your balcony? I've been repeatedly told not to trust the schematics. Have you looked at the photos? What cabin # is it?

I agree that it's frustrating we don't have more info - but on the other hand, this gives us lots of opportunity to discuss it ad infinitum in here! LOL! Hey, I gotta have something to do while I wait for my cruise.... ;)

The poster indicated hers was under the acupuncture area. I'd have to go to the deck plans and see where it is...these humps that are directly on the hump that you have here are suites, the angled ones might be AC, there are also other angled in a second area that might be under the spa area.

The angled ones are definitely AC. Those are the only cabins, according to the photos, that appear to actually have larger balconies, due to the fact that they are angled. Hang on - I'll go find a photo to post to show you what I mean...

Unfortunately, all of the AQ staterooms are located under the pool deck on the Solstice.

Only the AC cabins in the midship part between the two elevator/stairs shafts are under the pool deck, the rest isn't.

You confused me because you were mentioning an overhang, and the AC cabins under the acupuncture (we booked one too) don't have one. I hope.;)

Since this'll be our first "veranda" or balcony booking - can someone please tell me more about the preferences over aft veranda cabins to regular veranda cabins? Are they more expensive than regular veranda cabins on the side of the ship?

From what I have read on aqua, it sounds really nice...but since I've never had aqua nor aft cabin, I feel I am not qualified to comment on that.

We had the same experience you had, on the Constellation, with noise from the pool deck.

I think the AQ class have some very interesting aspects to consider. I am waiting for the first cruises to get back. Then I can judge the soundproofing under the pool on the Solstice and how the Blu restaurant is.

For now we will enjoy the great views of the ocean from an aft balcony.

Okay I've found some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about with the aft cabin and hump cabin balcony size. Not the best shots, but I didn't want to spend hours searching!

Here's a shot of the angled hump cabins. Note how the balcony is extended because the balcony is angled, but the door into the room is not - so it's the balcony gets stretched out as it gets angled out. (If that makes any sense - oh just look at the picture! :rolleyes: )

DSC_0498-1.jpg

And here's a shot of the stern - note that the balconies all appears to be the exact same size as all others, they do NOT appear to be extended.

solsticeaft.jpg

Johnjen, aft cabins often have larger-than-normal balconies because of the way the stern is designed on many ships. However, this does NOT seem to be the case on Solstice-class ships.

We've got an aft cabin booked for our Equinox cruise. We love aft balconies but sure wish that they were large enough to have a lounge chair instead of just two standard chairs. We got spoiled on RCI's Radiance class ships that have those huge aft balconies that actually have 2 lounge chairs & 2 regular chairs and a small table.

We've considered changing to the aqua class but am having trouble giving up the aft... the more I read the more confused I get.

By looking at the deck plans it would appear there are a handful of cabins here and there that would appear the balconies might be larger. I really can't wait until some Solstice cruisers return and post photos so we can get some "for-sure" looks at those that appear by the schematics that they have larger balconies.

For now, I'll keep reading and see what happens....even tho our Equinox cruise is 18 months away the cabins can be gone in a flash.

~Happy Cruising.

Jill

Okay I've found some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about with the aft cabin and hump cabin balcony size. Not the best shots, but I didn't want to spend hours searching!

LeeAnne:

I think they're great shots (thanks Gitte).

You took a picture of my cabin choice # 8228 on the "angle" in the hope that the balcony is larger.

Johnjen, aft cabins often have larger-than-normal balconies because of the way the stern is designed on many ships. However, this does NOT seem to be the case on Solstice-class ships.

Thanks, Leejnd! We still have over a year out to consider...but you know, design of the ship plays a huge part...on RCL's Explorer, for example, two of our friends had an aft balcony, and they complained a lot about stack soot!

Here's a shot of the angled hump cabins. Note how the balcony is extended because the balcony is angled, but the door into the room is not - so it's the balcony gets stretched out as it gets angled out. (If that makes any sense - oh just look at the picture! :rolleyes: )

DSC_0498-1.jpg

Thanks for postings these pictures, Leejnd4. These are the forward hump cabins (left is forward ship). There are 2 angled AC balconies on each side, like you can see on the deckplans (port side under the Aquaspa cafe, starboard side on the edge of the Solarium) :

acbumpforwardyu2.jpg

Archived