Should I be upset

AR 4030

We booked a 2 week cruise thur a local travel agency. I did most of the work, because I wanted to make sure I received the most for my money. I don't mind this. What I am a little upset about is that I never heard from the travel agency again. The cruise was last Oct into Nov. I feel I should have received an e-mail, a phone call or a note, asking if my husband & I enjoyed our trip. I was waiting for some contact from them to see if we were ready to plan another trip. I was hoping that they wanted our business again.

I can't ask friends or family for their thoughts, we are the travelers in our family & group of friends.

How do you know if you have a good travel agent. (see comment above)

Are you upset they did not contact you after the cruise?

My TA's always send an email or letter to see how things went.

I guess that sort of answers your question....they are not the TA for you;)

Ask friends or co-workers who they use and if they were satisfied with the services

I have changed my TA several times because they did not help out or follow up when we had a problem on a cruise

My TA actuallyl has called me a time or two about a week or so after our cruise, wanting to know if everything was satisfactory, and if there was anything else she could do for us. No wonder I have used her several cruises!!:D

I have had the same agent for 8 cruises and 2 land tours. She usually does not send an e-mail and ask how it went. If I happen to call her to arrange something else when I get back from a trip she will ask. We have a gift of some sort waiting for us on the ship from her which is greatly appreciated.

What's important to me is fast response. Knowing what I want (non-smoking, two beds, etc.). Her experience. Her ability to resolve a problem which has happened twice. I did try another agent that was highly referred to me and I was not impressed. Things went well but no gift in the room, no contact after to see if things went well, nothing. I would expect contact of some sort after the first cruise or trip just to make sure things went well, to find out what you liked or did not like about the trip or specific line, and to offer their services for any future travel. Some people might want e-mails with future offers or events, or specials and others may not. I'm a hands on planner and have learned to book the cruise and keep it in my name till the very end. If I want to change something I can but then I can transfer it to her. Hopefully she is getting credit of some sort for taking it over. I have asked her if she wants to take it over she can, if she is getting something for it, otherwise I have no problem doing it on my own. Hopefullly it is a win-win for both of us that way.

Yes, I was unhappy with the 1st TA I used. Paid what I would have if I had booked directly with the cruiseline. Didn't hear a word from her after. No, I didn't book with her again.

Booked with a TA someone recommended. Not local but only a phone call (or 2) away. Gave us the best prices and believe me, I checked constantly. Gave each cabin a bottle of wine, very nice. And called after to see if we had fun, what did we do, etc. Yep, I used him again and have recommended him to others.

You obviously chose the wrong TA. A good one will always follow up with their customer. Try again! I hope you find a good one. I'd gladly give you mine if we were allowed to do that here.:D

I wouldnt necassarily expect a call from a TA after a trip...but then again I dont use TA's...I just dont see the need...I just shop around and book my own stuff...it seems to work out everytime...but if you had a good trip and got a good deal I wouldnt be upset that the TA didnt acll

The online TA I used, did send a follow up survey, oh joy. If you answer the survey you get a free bottle of wine on your next cruise, which they charge full price for. Oh joy again.

I really dont want them bothering me. If I decide to cruise again, Ill call them.

Not everyone wants follow up. Iv since changed TAs to one I now call when Im ready.

hello,

The key here is...did you have a nice time, at a reasonable price. Did you conclude, after thinking about your trip when you returned home, that the travel arrangements in addition to the cruise portion (flights, hotels, rental cars and so on) were satisfactory?

You cannot ask the impossible of a TA, only that they provide you with knowledgeable, prompt, and helpful service.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

We booked a 2 week cruise thur a local travel agency. I did most of the work, because I wanted to make sure I received the most for my money. I don't mind this. What I am a little upset about is that I never heard from the travel agency again. The cruise was last Oct into Nov. I feel I should have received an e-mail, a phone call or a note, asking if my husband & I enjoyed our trip. I was waiting for some contact from them to see if we were ready to plan another trip. I was hoping that they wanted our business again.

I can't ask friends or family for their thoughts, we are the travelers in our family & group of friends.

How do you know if you have a good travel agent. (see comment above)

That was my experience a couple years ago but from a well know national agency and their local branch. The TA wanted me to pay to have my cruise docs delivered as they were sent to his office. So I had to go downtown and pick them up. He never called nor bothered to send a holiday card. I now book direct through the cruise or an online agency that actually has good customer service. Btw, they never sent me a card but I have two more cruises booked with them and their is a substantial savings. The most important thing is the good service.

I am in a small town. I don't have to call the majority of my clients when they return. I usually see them within a few days of their return at the grocery store, school functions or the following week in church. I have even gotten calls from those I know very well at home to tell me all about the trip. There is something to be said about small town service.

If you did the work--why did you even use a TA?

It's so easy to do this stuff yourself--true, you can't give yourself an OBC, but is that really worth it? IMO, having control of my own arrangements more than makes up for $100 OBC!

I had the same experiences with my previous TA. 4 cruises booked, and some of them pretty major...the only good thing about her service was the rapid response time.

I never got anything after the cruise was booked, and never received a welcome home letter, or any kind of small gift or anything in the cabin.

I never received anything but the exact quote I was looking for...(she never thought to look a week earlier or ahead for a better fare, or a category cabin higher or lower for a few dollars more or less).

I never got any kind of questions answered, except for a short, quick email, and I never received additional information about shore excursions, transfers, insurance, etc.

SO, after 4 cruises with my TA, and realizing, I could do this so much better, it's exactly what I decided to do....to better help myself and others.

A good TA should believe in service AFTER the sale. It's the service that will create client loyalty. It's going above and beyond that people are looking for! Nowadays, anyone can call the cruise lines or buy using a booking engine..but the TA's need to realize that they are creating value by their SERVICE, and then they need to provide it.

Each client is different..if one doesn't want certain things, or more of something else..a TA ought to be aware and make adjustments.

I am sorry you had a bad experience..I hope the next one will be more fulfilling!

First, we have NEVER used a TA and we have gotten some incredible deals. (Most recently just by my partner calling and establishing rapport with one of the Carnival cust service reps!)

Like a few others, I don't want phone calls from people I don't know. That's why we are on the Do-Not-Call registry.

And if I received a thank-you letter, I would start to consider all of the costs for postage, stationary and man-power. Logic would tell me that the expense of my thank-you letter was probably preventing me from getting the best deal possible.

D.

To me, a good cruise agency:

gives me a great discount, or a great OBC if the cruise line doesn't allow discounting.:D

gets the details of the booking right:rolleyes:

emails me with the details of the booking.:cool:

sends me my docs :)

I go on my cruise, everything is just as it's supposed to be and....

I'm so happy, I book with the same agency for my NEXT cruise!:D

First, we have NEVER used a TA and we have gotten some incredible deals. (Most recently just by my partner calling and establishing rapport with one of the Carnival cust service reps!)

Like a few others, I don't want phone calls from people I don't know. That's why we are on the Do-Not-Call registry.

And if I received a thank-you letter, I would start to consider all of the costs for postage, stationary and man-power. Logic would tell me that the expense of my thank-you letter was probably preventing me from getting the best deal possible.

D.

Actually, the costs for things like this usually come out of commissions.

Hello,

Persons who are very experienced travelers and knowledgeable about cruises can make their own arrangements. However, if there are problems you better be able to handle these as well.

I use a TA even after many cruises and years of travel. I like having a back up person in the travel business to provide me with assistance when needed. And there have been a few occasions when he was of great help to me.

The key here is to do your research and then use a TA. You will know the cruise prices and so on, and yet, you will have someone to help you if needed. Sadly, there have been many stories about inexperienced travelers booking cruises through the Internet and getting hammered by crooks.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

It sounds like you're most upset that they didn't send you a card after your trip? Personally, I wouldn't waste one minute of mental energy fretting about that.

Ditto. As long as all of details are taken care of prior to the cruise and they are there for any questions, could care less about any post cruise formalities.

I had one TA I used from '87 to '98 for most big trips. I don't think she ever called or sent me a card after my trip. My returning business was enough to let her know I appreciated her efforts and hardwork. I didn't cruise in those days, so no OBC or small gifts. Just good service.

Now with the Internet, I make most of my own reservations for cruise, hotels and airfare. Planning the trip is half the fun of it for me. I enjoy looking all the things up and reading about where we are going and what I want to do.

So to answer original OP, NO, I wouldn't be the least upset.

I did not want a thank you. I wanted at least an e-mail acknowledging that they had booked a trip for me. (even tho I am the one who did 90%-95% of the work) My main problem is that I had hoped they would let me know in some way that they wanted my repeat business, by sending me information on up-coming cruise deals. Also a small survey on what I liked about their service & what I didn't.

Thanks, You are all very helpful to me. I wish I could ask friends & family, but we are the travelers in our circle of family & friends. I booked the pre-cruise hotel, found my flights & times, & then paid her to book them. The cruise was 2 weeks, we were gone for 20 days. I used a travel because I felt that IF something went wrong I would be able in better shape to get it fixed then if I did not use a travel agent. Your thoughts Please

Archived