Airline Carry-On Question

lovebug33

Okay, what is the rule for liquids again? I have some sticky goop (not quite a liquid, but not quite solid) that is vital to my hair beautification regiment. I don't want to put it in my checked luggage because if it gets tilted, it gets messed up and doesn't work. It is two ounces of goop. Will I be able to carry it on? TIA!

The TSA regulations state you can carry 4 ounces or less of liquid; it must be in a one quart ziplock bag. U should be good to go

Incorrect

It's called the 3-1-1 Rule because you may have containers of three ounces or less, in one quart bag, one to a passenger.

All liquids and gels in your carryon luggage, must be in containers that hold 3 ounces or less. All these containers must be in a 1 quart ziplock bag. This ziplock bag must be removed from your carryon when going thru security.

The TSA regulations state you can carry 4 ounces or less of liquid; it must be in a one quart ziplock bag. U should be good to go

Sorry to have to correct you.

The TSA rule is that you can take as many containers of up to 3 ounces of liquid, gels or aerosols as you can fit into a one-quart zip-lock plastic bag. Remember that even if you are taking 2 ounces of liquid or gels it must be in a container that will hold no more than 3 ounces. I saw TSA personal confiscate a 10 ounces shampoo container containing less than 3 ounces of shampoo from a very vocal and indignant women who held up the security line for at least five minutes before TSA ushered her a side I assume for becoming belligerent and combative. How ignorant of her.

There are a lot of exceptions to the rule so I post the following link and information from the official TSA website at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Air travelers may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

• Click here to download our
    prohibited items brochure
    (PDF, 112 KB)

The following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols carried through security checkpoints.

1. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
  2. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
  3. Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

There are exceptions for baby formula, breast milk, and other essential liquids, gels, and aerosols, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines (see details below).

Please keep in mind that these rules were developed after extensive research and understanding of current threats. They are intended to help air travelers bring essential toiletries and other liquids, gels and aerosols for short trips. If you need larger amounts of liquids, gels and aerosols such as toothpaste or shampoo, please place them in your luggage and check them with your airline.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

• Baby formula, breast milk, and juice for infants and toddlers.
  • All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Frozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Frozen gels/liquids for any other purpose are not permitted.

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
  2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
  3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

We have also taken steps to ensure the security of the boarding areas after you pass through our security checkpoints. Therefore, any liquid, gel or aerosol, such as coffee or soda, purchased in the secure area beyond the security checkpoint is allowed aboard your plane. Please note that if you have a layover and are re-screened at your connecting airport the current rules (see above) for carry-ons apply. For more details, get the 3-1-1 for carry-ons.

A printable version of the prohibited items listing is available. Prohibited Items List (PDF 112 KB)

To effectively communicate important security information, we translated these changes into a variety of languages. Security Information In Other Languages

You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids.

Thanks! I am laughing at the water bra! That is funny that they allow that. The goop is in a 2 ounce container, so I am okay! Huzzah because it does not travel well in a checked bag and costs 16 bucks a bottle!

Archived