Let's try again - Is this dress O.K. or too young?

k.hill

Well, they might throw garbage at you for posting an honest opinion!:eek:

I hate to be different, but I don't like the dress. Maybe too promish.

You would have to be super slim to wear the satin and the ruffles.

sorry:p

Honey, you look beautiful in that dress! You have the figure, and legs for it, be proud and wear it!

I think it is good for you to ask what we think, us girly girls sometimes need an OP from others, so keep on asking.

This dress is not too old for you at all!!!!! Wear it as often as you can, because it was made for you!!!!!

THE DECISION -

please....DON'T wear black...unless you have to...

Wear what makes YOU happy...

I tactfully disagree with these suggestions. For me, black IS what makes me happy. Black is my best color (Some of us remember the "Color Me Beautiful" trend years back - some of that information is still relevant today. I am a "true winter" that looks BEST in black rather than those with winter tendencies that CAN wear black) When I wear black it is NOT boring (according to the compliments I receive) and I definitely do not look like I am in mourning. For one thing, I choose something that has a great cut and fabric and fits my body type. Then I accessorize with a couple of items that contrast and set it off (a festive shawl or wrap, dazzling or intricate jewelry - I'm petite, so a little dazzle goes a long way). I do occasionally find something in a bright jewel tone such as true red or deep sapphire blue, but usually prefer to use these as accent colors with black (again, a little bright goes a long way).

I agree in the sense that black CAN be boring if it does not suit a person's coloration (and there are many people for which this is true),

or if the style or fit of the garment is wrong for the wearer's body type. or if it is not well-accessorized.

By all means, if you're sick of black, don't wear black. From what I can see of the OP's coloration in the picture, she is not a "true winter" , so probably doesn't wear black best.

Hey OP,

Sorry for all the back lash! I usually don't post on topics like this, but I am too a frugal shopper and like to have new dresses for each occasion. Recently I bought a dress in the junior's department for cheap. I loved the color of the dress and the cut, but didn't care for the bow or the ruffle down one side of my dress. Since the ruffle was in the seam I just had my seamstress (my mother :p ) take them off for me and it made a world of a difference! The funny thing was when I went to the event, the first person I saw there was a girl wearing the same dress, but she had the bow and ruffle on there! If you think it's a little younger looking, just remove the bow (you could probably do it yourself) but if you love the bow keep it! Either way, you look great!

Oh and as a fairly thin person myself and shinny fabric at the wrong angle doesn't flatter anyone, I just bought some spanx-like shorts for underneath and that seemed to do the trick!! Just make sure they don't have a seam down the middle because you will see it right through the dress!

Have fun on your cruise and enjoy your dress! I wish you the best recovery from your surgery!:o :)

Personally, I don't think anyone cares about the dress anymore! Her mind was made up without our help.

Ditto to that remark - especially considering she posted a second thread with a different title after she didn't get validation with the first one.

Missed that one..which thread was that?

Ditto to that remark - especially considering she posted a second thread with a different title after she didn't get validation with the first one.

This is the second one. That's why it's let's try again.

I think if you like something and want to wear it go ahead. But if you ask for opinions be ready to take the good with the bad. Especially on this board. We all have our own opinion. That's a good thing or we would all show up in the same dress!

Kelly

Missed that one..which thread was that?

The first thread was titled Is this dress O.K.? maybe too prom and was posted just a few hours before this one was started. Most replied (tactfully) that it WAS to promish, flashy or costumey. I think the word "Tacky" was used somewhere as well. So she reposted and bashed the "honest opinions" she had asked for in the first thread in her new one.

. So she reposted and bashed the "honest opinions" she had asked for in the first thread in her new one.

The reason she reposted was to show how the dress actually looked like on her as opposed to a stock photo with a model wearing it.

Maybe they were "honest opinions" but some of them were unnecessarily rude.:( How many of those people would really say those things face to face to a friend? I'm sure they would find a nicer way to say THEY didn't like it.

This reminds me of an old "I love Lucy" episode when everyone said Lucy couldn't be honest, so she decided to fool everyone and tell them her honest opinions. She told her friend Carolyn Applebee that "your hat is the ugliest hat I've ever seen" and a few other things.

I am not afraid to be blunt and tell a close friend how a dress really looks on her. My friends are used to my sense of humor and how I say it, so to them it's not offensive.

Why is it so "tacky" to use a word like "ugly", "unflattering", "unbecoming"..truth is truth!

Mama always said if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen!

The reason she reposted was to show how the dress actually looked like on her as opposed to a stock photo with a model wearing it.

Maybe they were "honest opinions" but some of them were unnecessarily rude.:( How many of those people would really say those things face to face to a friend? I'm sure they would find a nicer way to say THEY didn't like it.

Half the time, I think when someone posts for feedback on a dress they already have their mind up they are going to wear it...even if it looks awful on them..and they are just looking for someone to justify their decision to wear it...THEN they get a bug up their butt because someone disagreed with them.

Exactly!! I'll never understand why anyone would buy something that they then want everyone's opinion about. If you're not sure, don't buy it, there's millions of dresses out there at don't need everyone's blessing.

:D

I've reread in the first thread those posts that were made before this one was started. IMO I didn't see any that were unnecessarily rude ( a few were humorous and duly indicated). They did confirm though that the dress WAS too promish, flashy, and costumey. All of them, even the later one that used the work "tacky" , sounded as if they were worded the way the poster would have said the same thing to a friend or relative. In fact most of us would have spoken more bluntly to a loved one:D

I undertand that the OP wanted us to see the dress on her (and you will notice I posted -honestly- that the dress looked better on her than in on the model). But she insured she'd get the answers she wanted by changing the question from "too promy" to "too young". Most of us won't touch the age issue with a ten-foot pole!

Be careful with your post..someone might get offended!:eek:

Exactly!! I'll never understand why anyone would buy something that they then want everyone's opinion about. If you're not sure, don't buy it, there's millions of dresses out there at don't need everyone's blessing.

I think that dress looks great and is very flattering on you and would be a fun option for a formal night. If it was me, I would wear some silver or neutral colored shoes rather than black. Have a GREAT time!!

I agree..

Silver would be my choice.

Cute dress, love the color, looks great on you.

Archived