Let's try again - Is this dress O.K. or too young?

k.hill

I agree with everyone who said you have a great figure...you definitely do.

Having said that, I don't think the dress is very flattering on you. It's too young, too shiny, too much frou frou, and too Carmen Miranda. I'd look for a dress with clean lines in a more sophisticated fabric.

That's my humble opinion.

You asked for honest opinions, so I'm giving mine. That dress puts the "tack" in tacky, unless you plan on taking the stage and doing a flamenco dance after dinner, there is is no excuse for wearing that creation. Every good designer has dresses in size 0's or 2's. (try online) ( try j crew)As for the "prom" idea, I showed it to my 17 yo DD, she says if anyone showed up at school dances wearing that thing, they'd be laughed out the door.

You look great. Can't say the same for the dress. It's too, too much. Too shiny, too ruffly, too gathered.

You can carry off a sophisticated and fun dress that's not just ho-hum black. Don't go backwards to age 16. My advice is to take it back and keep looking.

i personally i know what i like.. and would ask my hubbie or my best friend dont think id ask in a forum unless you "really " wanted to know good or bad <shrug> yes your figure is good but the dress is a little snug across the tummy area and the color i think needed to be a darker color the aqua/ baby blue makes it look cheaper yes im honest but some times people want honest good luck im sure youll do what you want in your heart:D :D

I think the dress fits you well...definitely not too tight as someone else said. The ruching (sp?) of the fabric on the side is what is creating the gathers in front. So I'd not be concerned with the fit.

For me...I just think it's a bit "brassy" looking...not something I would consider myself or for even someone younger. But this is for you...and hey it's a cruise, not a formal wedding, and it will probably put you in a "fun" mood wearing it. ;) So while I would not wear it myself, I do think it fits you well, and if you like it on you, then go for it. :)

Oh can you move the rumple to go across the little part of your tummy? If not and you love it, it is pretty. I think it would be even better if we can see the whole picture of you in it so we know your coloring too.

Wear it, own it...you can't be shy in that dress. go for the whole package.... Hair,Makeup,Shoes. Wonderful color. Bold is beautiful but you have to wear it with confidence. I love it. You're just over forty not dead! Show those young girls what they have to look forward too.

And geez.... What is wrong with the mambo??? A very cool dance that one could have fun with in a dress like that... Dont make fun of something you have not tried.

A little tight across the tummy.... You guys cant be serious ????

Yes, but can the OP mambo?:D

I would like the dress a whole lot better if the bow could be untied to let down the rouching, then if would be a nicely fitted dress with a flouncy bottom. Doubtful that this is possible.

The opinions are probably 50/50 but if the OP needs to ask, makes me wonder if there is some hesitation for wearing it. If she is not really questioning wearing it, loves it and feels good in it, then wear it.

Don't think it's tight across the tummy either. Those gathers, which some could mistake for tightness are the rouching, can help camouflage some not so perfect areas, but it doesn't look like the OP needs any help.:)

I think it looks tight because in the side pose pic the rouching lays nice. In the straight on front shot it looks like the rouching is pulled. It does not have the fullness that you see in the side pose.

Maybe it is the clingy, shiny fabric. I am guessing by what I see in the juniors dept. that the fabric does not have much body.

Kelly

I like it. It looks like a fun dress, I too am tired of the classic little black dress. I feel like everyone is in mourning all the time. I like the dark shoes you are wearing with the dress as opposed to the models light coloured shoes. The transition from the bright blue dress to the white or silver shoes was just too jarring & it took away from the dress & made it look cheap. It is a cruise you are going on, not a formal dinner with the queen. Let loose & have some fun with your dress & your pictures will look great.

First off... the dress fits you beautifully.

I know its a great price. Ask yourself this...if the dress had cost $150 would you still love it and want to wear it? If you wouldn't love it and wear it if it had cost more, then maybe its time to do some more shopping.

Second...and you asked my opinion. I just don't care for the dress. It looks like like something a teen would wear to a school dance or maybe a costume for a theater or dance production. It think its the shiny material or something.

PS...I am not "cruz guy"....I'm his wife, just checking in on the fashion forum.

I agree that you have a beautiful figure and anything probably looks good on you.

But, as a 25 yr old, I probably wouldn't wear the dress. It, to me, does look like a school dance dress that I would have worn when I was 16 or 17. Again, I think you look good in it, just not a fan of the style, fabric or color.

My take on it: Just because something fits doesn't mean you should wear it. There's a reason its on the $15 rack.

There are just so many prettier more sophisticated dresses out there. I'd recommend just keep looking. You have a dynamite figure. It should be fairly easy to find several dresses that would really be a WOW on you.

O.K. This is ridiculous. I am a big-time tomboy and rarely, if ever, dress up, and wanted a few honest opinions of whether the dress seemed too much like a prom dress. I also wanted to see how many would think this dress was too young for a 40 year old. Thank you very much for those who posted, (well most..that is). I respect those that were able to convey their opinions well and thanks very much for the input. Conversely, I did not expect the few mean, hateful, tasteless or hurtful remarks....and unfortunately....a few of those were thrown in.

For the record...this is a $150.00 dress...extremely well made...material is not at all cheap....just a little promy-promish - the dress was on clearance for $15.00, along with many others. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on dresses for each cruise since we cruise up to twice a year and I will never rewear many that I have purchased. I COULD buy any dress / any$ I want, but I'm not wasting money for something that will be worn only ONCE. What I wanted was something to show of my fairly newly regained figure and NOT BLACK AND BORING.

THE DECISION - I have major nerve...and hate to look like everyone else and I WILL wear the dress...it's hot...it's bright...it's fun and I still like it... for a future cruise. My DH (whose opionion counts more than any)said it was "sexy, young," and "loved the color" - Unfortunately for now...the dress will be shelved out of respect for the other women cruising with me. My cruisemates for my upcoming cruise have chosen to tone it down and we will be doing more casual sundress/toned down cocktail dresses for this cruise - so this dress will be worn - next cruise.

My suggestions for others: #1 DON'T ask for opinions if you can't take it....some people have NO TACT and therefore are unable to post an opinion without being hurtful and really a bit rude.

#2 please....DON'T wear black...unless you have to....it's sooooooooooooooo boring... 3/4 of the women on the ship will have black/navy on and it is NOT the best color for many of the beautiful ships portraits...have fun....it's a cruise....I hate when the whole room REEKS with the "night at the opera" look.

#3 Wear what makes YOU happy...well you....and the man/woman who might want to jump your bones when the garment is finally removed.

Thanks to all...hope you'll all be cruising soon. See you on the high seas.

Thanks again for everyone's time, opinions, shoe advice (I'm crappy at shoes)....it's been...well interesting. I am truly hoping that this ends the debate and what has become an alarmingly long thread.

Why do you think black is boring?

Black can be stunning, sophisticated and very sexy.

I try to dress thinking about what I'll feel about a photo of myself 10 years from now. I stay away from trendy and too bright colors for just that reason. Fortunately there are no pics of me from the 70's with huge shoulder pads or leg warmers.

I am guilty of having curly perms, though. Hate those pictures, but my teens get a laugh out of them.

Archived