Consumption Fee ???

MadCnty

We would like to know which ships charge this fee for EACH bottle. In other words when we were on the Serenade, they charged $9.50 for every bottle that we took back to our stateroom. When we asked the "gentleman" when this became policy he said "it always has been" in his year and a half with RCI :confused: . We then proceded to tell him that on our two prior sailings (Sovereign & Majesty) that if you purchased 4 bottles only ONE fee ($9.50) was charged. His response "You must have dealt with someone nicer than me". Boy did that open him up :D , but we still were charged the fee 3 seperate times on the Serenade. So, is it just because of the longer cruise, that this was the case, or does all of RCI ships now charge a $9.50 per bottle fee??? We are wondering what to expect on Mariner...

In the not so distant past, (Sept. 2003) the one charge of $9.50 was good for multiple bottles bought on the first night of the cruise. I was on Voyager and spoke with a couple who were buying serveral bottles and who I observed paid only $9.50. However, on my August 28 sailing on NOS, when I inquired about the charge it was emphatically stated as per bottle. I've seen some other threads on the subject. I believe that the old policy was fleet-wide and so is the new policy. Has anyone recently, in the past month, gotten the old one charge for all bottles on first night? I think this is just another case of tightening up to generate more income for RCI.

It maybe a "tightening up"...lol. We thought that maybe the length of the cruise might have had something to do with it??? You know save themselves the last night delivery and you weren't going to drink it all onboard anyways, but on the 7 day they want to make sure to get your $$$ because they know you can finish a few...

"Should you choose to consume alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee will apply at the time of purchase."

Seems pretty open ended to us:confused: . Maybe a good tip helps the "person" be "nicer" :D .

I would agree with a previous poster suggesting they are tightening up. On the legend last month it was $9.50 per bottle. I think the policy was poorly communicated/ enforced in the past which has spawned all the deliberation here. I believe the price was also recently bumped up from $9.00. Expect to pay per bottle and hope you stumble upon a naive employee....

What are you guys talking about?? I have NEVER paid any type of bottle fees on any of my cruises! The last being on the Constealltion, where I took 5 bottle of wine onboard. On our one and only RCL Cruise, we took 3 bottles of wine and a case of beer onboard during embarkation. Never stopped and no fees paid!

Just got off a 11 day hawaii cruise on the radiance. The charge was $9.50 per bottle. If you buy 4 they will give you a bottle of Vodka, gin, or burbon for free. It still was cheaper for us Canadians even with the extra charge.

If you bring your own on, there is no charge

From what I've read on these boards, enforcement of consumption and corkage fees is inconsistent. While most of the major cruise lines reserve the right to apply them to every bottle carried or purchased on board, they don't exercise that right in every case.

We (sort of ) just got back off the Empress.Sept. 25th..There was a 9$ charge the first night for your entire order,after the 1st night it was 9$ per bottle! I believe it's still a decent deal considering the price of some of the drinks!!! IMO....:D

Even with $9.50 fee price is even or less than on land.

When we sailed on Splendour in Med fee was $9.50 per 2 bottles during the first night. But we also had to pay taxes.

Well on the Serenade we paid the fee even the first night for 2 bottles... We are still hoping to hear from a person recently on the Mariner, because we would like to know what to expect for our upcoming cruise.

What are you guys talking about?? I have NEVER paid any type of bottle fees on any of my cruises! The last being on the Constealltion, where I took 5 bottle of wine onboard. On our one and only RCL Cruise, we took 3 bottles of wine and a case of beer onboard during embarkation. Never stopped and no fees paid!

You took them onboard. You did not buy them on the ship. They can't charge you for consumption for what you buy before boarding the ship.

I have read reports from passengers who say that instead of confiscating their carry-on liquor, as RCI's policy would require, the crew simply charged them the corkage fee, and thereby permitted consumption of the carry-on liquor. However, as I mentioned earlier, enforcement of consumption and corkage fees is very apparently inconsistent.

I have never heard of anyone being charged a consumption fee for bringing your own booze on board. I know they can take it but I've never seen that happen either. If you bring your own wine to the dining room they might charge you corkage fee. Maybe I've been lucky and hopefully will continue to be...

Archived