Wheelhouse Bar

braemar12

Which of the Princess ships has the best Wheelhouse Bar in terms of decor?

Also which one has the best memorabilia?

Thanks in advance for your help.

They are all decorated the same. As far as best memorabilia that may be a personal preference. Although all have similar collections of books, photos and ships models. The only difference is on the new Gem Class ships, Crown Emerald and Ruby, is the Wheelhouse layout is larger and less intimate. Also the Princess Theater empties into it and acts as a walk through back to the atrium.

We found the Wheelhouse bar to be a nice place to hang out in the evenings and really enjoyed spending time there last year on the Caribbean Princess, There was a great band playing "Phoenix Rising" and kept my DH and I entertained all night long!! We are about to see our second Wheelhouse in October on the Crown and hope the band they have playing is just as good as "Phoenix Rising". was last year. Maybe we will get lucky and they will be on the Crown!!!

The Wheelhouse is my favorite evening spot. Last year on the Star, I was surprised by the large, open feeling of the Wheelhouse. It's not as broken up by columns as on some of the other ships.

Colo,

I agree. After having travelled on the Golden, I think the layout of the Wheelhouse Bar on the Coral and Island is much better, and as you say larger. The Wheelhouse Bar on the Golden was long and narrow and did not appear overly appealing.

Ciao for now!!!

The Wheelhouse is my favorite evening spot. Last year on the Star, I was surprised by the large, open feeling of the Wheelhouse. It's not as broken up by columns as on some of the other ships.

We're avid ballroom dancers, and spend most of our evenings in the Wheelhouse. I like the layout of the Diamond/Sapphire and Island better than that on the Dawn.

Does the Star have a dance floor in the Wheelhouse? We'll be taking the Star in 2010.

We're avid ballroom dancers, and spend most of our evenings in the Wheelhouse. I like the layout of the Diamond/Sapphire and Island better than that on the Dawn.

Does the Star have a dance floor in the Wheelhouse? We'll be taking the Star in 2010.

abbydancer,

Yes, to my knowledge all Princess ships I have sailed on the Wheelhouse Lounges have dance floors. I cannot speak for the Royal, Tahitian or Pacific as I have not traveled on any of those class of ships.

I prefer The Wheelhouse on the Grand Class (Grand, Golden and Star) because it's not a "pass through". It's somewhere you "go" not somewhere you end up.

On most of the ships I've been on it's located outside a theater and when the shows empty out there is a steady procession through The Wheelhouse distracting from the band performing there.

Perhaps the question should be which ship HAD the best Wheelhouse Bar. When we first began cruising with Princess we were enthralled with the Wheelhouse Bar. To us it was so traditional, conservative and club-like in appearance. Beautiful leather wing-backed chairs surrounding elegant classical tables. The room was adorned with original nautical scene paintings and complimented with brass light fixtures and ship artefacts.

We had noted the decline in the Wheelhouse but on our most recent sailing all the wing-backed chairs were gone replaced with standard bar chairs. The Butler tables had been replaced and prominece is now given to loud dance music compared to the previous music to enhance conversation.

Yes, we're old fuddy-duddies when it comes to traditional sailing but the neon effect of other lines is fast finding it's way into the Princess fleet.

Perhaps the question should be which ship HAD the best Wheelhouse Bar. When we first began cruising with Princess we were enthralled with the Wheelhouse Bar. To us it was so traditional, conservative and club-like in appearance. Beautiful leather wing-backed chairs surrounding elegant classical tables. The room was adorned with original nautical scene paintings and complimented with brass light fixtures and ship artefacts.

We had noted the decline in the Wheelhouse but on our most recent sailing all the wing-backed chairs were gone replaced with standard bar chairs. The Butler tables had been replaced and prominece is now given to loud dance music compared to the previous music to enhance conversation.

Yes, we're old fuddy-duddies when it comes to traditional sailing but the neon effect of other lines is fast finding it's way into the Princess fleet.

Just curious which ship or ships are you referring to? DW & I have been on several ships over the last year including the new Crown and Emerald and are still finding the same decor IE wing backed chairs and butler tables. The entertainment is soothing as well. We still find two bands alternating the early and late sets. Usually a duo and jazz trio or quartet.

Thanx,

Which ship, please? I'll have to remember not to book on her!:eek:

I recall reading a while ago that Princess has cut back on the live entertainment, having only one band in the Wheelhouse instead of 2 alternating ones. So I guess they pipe in music to fill in the gaps. On the Diamond last year we were trying to read and it was loud enough that we asked a passing maintenance man to turn the volume down (there I go, turning into my mother). He was happy to oblige.

Of all of the Wheelhouse bars that I have been to they all look alike, even the memorbilia.

Marilyn

Some have more model ships and other memorabilia than others. I believe the ships that pre-date the Caribbean Princess have the best Wheelhouse Bars. It is one of our favorite places on the ship.

Was on the Sea Princess four weeks ago and they had two bands alternating in the Wheelhouse. While they were very good, they weren't the old three/four piece band but two singers with the music on computer. Still better than the disco or the piano bar.

Are you sure you were on a Princess ship? We were on the Caribbean

Princess last year and thougt the Wheelhouse decor to be very nautical....loved it!!! no glitz at all ...that's for Carnival!!!

As far as Princess cutting back on the entertainment they may have of the , from what I have learned they have one band that plays twice every night on some of theri ships.

Just curious which ship or ships are you referring to? DW & I have been on several ships over the last year including the new Crown and Emerald and are still finding the same decor IE wing backed chairs and butler tables. The entertainment is soothing as well. We still find two bands alternating the early and late sets. Usually a duo and jazz trio or quartet.

Thanx,

This would be the original location of the Wheelhouse on the Grand, Star, next to Sabatinis. It was narrow opening up to the back area and it was just down from Explorers and where the Crown Grill is now on the Emerald/Crown/Ruby. :)

Which ship, please? I'll have to remember not to book on her!:eek:

I recall reading a while ago that Princess has cut back on the live entertainment, having only one band in the Wheelhouse instead of 2 alternating ones. So I guess they pipe in music to fill in the gaps. On the Diamond last year we were trying to read and it was loud enough that we asked a passing maintenance man to turn the volume down (there I go, turning into my mother). He was happy to oblige.

Sorry for the delay in response. We were on the Grand in April-May. But we have since been corrected in that there were two remaining winged-backed chairs found in the smoking section and they in bad need of repair. Our amour of the Wheelhouse started first with the Sky Princess and then the Regal Princess and since then we have sailed the Diamond, the Crown. Each sailing reveals a further loss of the elegance that once was.

And as for volume of music found in the last sailing, when we asked a staff member of the Princess Cruise director to have it turned down, we were told that this did not fall into his responsibility. We left the bar for more pleasant surroundings. We have the Diamond coming up next and can only anticipate even further losses to the once elegant Wheelhouse.

Archived