Wheelhouse Bar

braemar12

The Regal didn't have a wheelhouse bar? I don't think the sky did either - it was a highlighted new feature when the Sun debuted.

Thanks Chris, I thought I'd gone 'round the bend. The Wheelhouse became the fleet's "trademark bar" when the Sun was deployed in December 1995.

Unquestionably we stand corrected. We won’t say too many cruises on too many ships for that could never be. However remembering them all at this age is another problem. But we have been aboard the Grand on three separate cruses over the years and without question there has been a depleting of décor noted especially on this last cruise. We found that the Diamond's adaptation of the Wheelhouse did not live up to the standard of that of the original Grand and it will be interesting to experience the Diamond again to make a similar comparison.

They are all decorated the same. As far as best memorabilia that may be a personal preference. Although all have similar collections of books, photos and ships models. The only difference is on the new Gem Class ships, Crown Emerald and Ruby, is the Wheelhouse layout is larger and less intimate. Also the Princess Theater empties into it and acts as a walk through back to the atrium.

The Princess Theatre empties out through the Wheelhouse Bar on the Dawn Princess, too.

I prefer The Wheelhouse on the Grand Class (Grand, Golden and Star) because it's not a "pass through". It's somewhere you "go" not somewhere you end up.

On most of the ships I've been on it's located outside a theater and when the shows empty out there is a steady procession through The Wheelhouse distracting from the band performing there.

Sharon, that's exactly it. I couldn't put my finger on why it seemed more open on the Star - because it isn't a pass-through.

abbydancer,

Yes, to my knowledge all Princess ships I have sailed on the Wheelhouse Lounges have dance floors. I cannot speak for the Royal, Tahitian or Pacific as I have not traveled on any of those class of ships.

No Wheelhouse bar on the R3 ships, but each has a deck 10 forward lounge with a dance floor.

I just got off Sun Princess last Monday..its wheelhouse bar on Deck 7 - Promenade deck is nice, just aft of Princess Theatre. Wheelhouse Bar on SP has ship models, including P&O's Iberia on which I met my wife in 1970, now I had to take a pic of that.!

Nice leather furniture in that room too.

Cheers..Les:cool:

We have danced at many, many Wheelhouse Bars, and they all seem to be, basically, the same - with the exception of people walking through from the Princess Theatre on some of the new ones.

We would be really disappointed if they eliminated one of the bands. The reason we travel with Princess so often (26), is because they offer a selection of bands and venues for dancing.

IF THEY COULD ONLY MAKE THE WHEELHOUSE NON-SMOKING, LIFE WOULD BE GREAT.

Lyntony

We have danced at many, many Wheelhouse Bars, and they all seem to be, basically, the same - with the exception of people walking through from the Princess Theatre on some of the new ones.

We would be really disappointed if they eliminated one of the bands. The reason we travel with Princess so often (26), is because they offer a selection of bands and venues for dancing.

IF THEY COULD ONLY MAKE THE WHEELHOUSE NON-SMOKING, LIFE WOULD BE GREAT.

Lyntony

I too would like to see the Wheelhouse become non-smoking,cruise and if enough of us request this on the comment cards to Princess, they may eventually make it non-somking. There was some talk sometime ago about Princess cutting down on the bands on their ships, but

I haven't heard anything lately. Hopefully it was just a rumor.

The Wheelhouse was our favorite place for before-dinner drinks on our recent Diamond cruise to Hawaii. The atmosphere is quiet, the seating comfortable and arranged in conversational groupings, and the service excellent without being "pushy". The live music was in a corner of the room, and with the layout, if listening and / or dancing were what you wanted, you could sit in that area. If conversation was what you were seeking, you could sit in another area and not have your chat overwhelmed by the music.

The small (about 3 tables) area was in an area near an open doorway, and the smoke did not seem to drift into the rest of the room, but also was not noticeable in the hallway outside that doorway.

Aloha Y'all,

Well, I'll give a little different perspective and tell you which is our favorite Wheelhouse to PLAY in...it would have to be the Dawn Princess....the ship we're on now. The stage is a nice size for us, the dance floor is a good size for the ballroom folks and the layout has the smoking section off to the side and the tables not too far from the stage but not too close.

We've played on the Caribbean, Golden, Crown, Island, Diamond and now Dawn in the Wheelhouse, and they all have something to speak for each of them. (We've also done the Tahitian, but that doesn't count, as the lounge is upstairs on 10, and it is the only lounge on the ship besides the showlounge) While I agree with Sharon, (who along with Bruce has shared a couple of Wheelhouse's with us) about the Caribbean and Golden being "desitination" lounges, the Dawn is still our fave so far, and it does have a "pass through" desihn.

Although we'll be leaving the Wheelhouse for the Hawaii season to play on deck on the Golden, we always look forward to getting back in...it's a great place to play and to hangout.

Malama Pono,

Dave

Elua

Aloha Y'all,

Well, I'll give a little different perspective and tell you which is our favorite Wheelhouse to PLAY in...it would have to be the Dawn Princess....the ship we're on now. The stage is a nice size for us, the dance floor is a good size for the ballroom folks and the layout has the smoking section off to the side and the tables not too far from the stage but not too close.

We've played on the Caribbean, Golden, Crown, Island, Diamond and now Dawn in the Wheelhouse, and they all have something to speak for each of them. (We've also done the Tahitian, but that doesn't count, as the lounge is upstairs on 10, and it is the only lounge on the ship besides the showlounge) While I agree with Sharon, (who along with Bruce has shared a couple of Wheelhouse's with us) about the Caribbean and Golden being "desitination" lounges, the Dawn is still our fave so far, and it does have a "pass through" desihn.

Although we'll be leaving the Wheelhouse for the Hawaii season to play on deck on the Golden, we always look forward to getting back in...it's a great place to play and to hangout.

Malama Pono,

Dave

Elua

Do you have any plans to play on the new Ruby Princess? Would love to see you again.

We love the Wheelhouse on the Island. I just wish they would make it non-smoking since the smoke does travel around when lots of people are smoking. The smoke kept us out of the Wheelhouse on the Emerald.

The Island/Coral have the biggest and the best layout IMO. :D

Star/Grand/Golden have much smaller ones. ;)

Colo Crusty as much as it pains me to say it, you are correct and I agree 100%. The best Wheelhouse bar is on the Island/Coral Princess.

Aloha Y'all,

Malama Pono,

Dave

Elua

We will be on the Crown for their starting Caribbean season and can't wait to hang out in the Wheelhouse. Have you played on it and if so, how do you rate it?

Sorry we won't have the pleasure of enjoying your music, we have heard some wonderful reviews!!! I called the entertainment deptment to inquire who would be in the Wheelhouse but they said it was to early to tell me.

Sun Princess in Australia (just got off last week) has smoking restrictions to comply with Australian standards. The Wheelhouse Bar was non smoking as were ALL other bars etc except Shooting Stars nightclub. You could smoke on Promenade Deck portside only.

:p Cheers..Les:cool:

We will be on the Crown for their starting Caribbean season and can't wait to hang out in the Wheelhouse. Have you played on it and if so, how do you rate it?

Sorry we won't have the pleasure of enjoying your music, we have heard some wonderful reviews!!! I called the entertainment deptment to inquire who would be in the Wheelhouse but they said it was to early to tell me.

I can't answer for Dave (Elua) but we love the Crown Wheelhouse, we did the inagural on her and were fortunate enough to be with Elua, we have danced with them on several trips and they are fantabulous, we also love the wheelhouse on the Crown, Diamond, Sapphire......much larger than on the other Grand class......also Crooners is much larger on the Crown and also has a nice small spot to dance.......which we utilized a lot as we had Maurizo, another favorite of ours, on the piano.

Archived