Tinting of Prescription Glasses

On the spur-of-the-moment last night, we stopped into one of those in-store eyeglass stores (inside WalMart) to check out what a pair of rx sunglasses would be. We plan on spending all our port time on the beach on our upcoming cruise this October. And let's face it, our eyes aren't getting any younger. :eek: Because of the fact that it's more frustrating to keep switching back and forth between sunglasses and my eyeglasses, I've just done away with the former for the past few years.

But my husband suggested we check into this, so we went in there yesterday and I found out something that I think could really be a bargain, and wanted to others to weigh in on this.

The price of a pair of rx sunglasses would be $150 on up. This is hard for us to handle - we don't really wear sunglasses at home, so it would be spending $300 (for both of us) to have these for the week during our Western Caribbean cruise. Then the girl suggested that they could take a pair of old rx glasses and tint them - for $15!! I think it depends on whether the lenses are glass or plastic - not sure which one wouldn't work. But we each have a couple pair of old ones where the rx isn't that much different from what we're currently wearing. This is really exciting news - if it'll work! We're going to stop by there this afternoon on the way home from work and see if they can do this. But in the meantime -

Anyone have experience doing this? If so, what do you think?

Yes, that's what we plan to do. Was just wondering if anyone had done this before and what their opinion is. I agree, it's not much of an investment to potentially save a whole bunch - just mostly making conversation.

Appreciate your quick response/input.:)

The $15 price sounds intriquing and could well be an answer to your problem.

My only question would be: Will the ``old rx'' glasses you hve tinted be the same Rx or almost the same as the glasses you normally wear? Asking this only because I have had to bring an older pair of eyeglasses out of retirement to wear before while waiting on a new pair of my current rx glasses. The slight change in rx gave me a headache after only a couple of hours wearing the older glasses.

DH & I both wear bifocals and don't want the extra expense of separate rx sunglasses. Our optometrist set both of us up with rx eyeglasses that have tiny magnets directly above the hinge on each side. They come with a set of non-prescription sunglass clip ons that have a tiny piece of metal on the underside of the clip on sides that matches up with the magnets.

Instant rx sunglasses when we need them and easy to clip on in the sun or take them off and pocket the sunglass clip on when we don't need them.

Dianne

First, I disagree about clip-ons. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's a good idea because it might tend to distort. As I said I don't know for sure.

Now to the question. I have worn glasses ever since I was 11 and believe me, that was many decades ago. I don't wear them now because I had cataracts removed. I digress. I always wore sunglasses and had extra glasses that were spares brought in for tinting also. Indeed you can do it and it works very well. Actually, when you order RX glasses, they come in with clear lenses and they tint them in the store.

I've never had this done, but I would venture to say it more than likely depends on the condition of your old sunglasses (scratches) and the skill of the person applying the tint material.

The last time I got glasses made, I took my old frames in and had them turned into sunglasses...with my current script. I don't recall the exact cost, but it was nowhere near $150.

I've had my old glasses tinted in the past and have been very happy with the result. I do not wear glasses all the time (I need them for distance), so most of the time I end up wearing them on my head. As long as the prescription is close to what you normally wear, I would think it would be worth the $15. Jan

First, I disagree about clip-ons. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's a good idea because it might tend to distort. As I said I don't know for sure.

The clip-ons don't distort your vision. I am friends with several opticians and they all recommend them if you can get a pair of clip ons that work with your frames. The key is to get a pair of clip ons that are designed to work with your frames like 98charlie did.

The key is to get a pair of clip ons that are designed to work with your frames like 98charlie did.

Yes, that's the key. Tried for years to use ``over-the-counter'' clip ons and hated them because my vision seemed distorted. Back then I only needed my glasses for distance vision.

When optomistrist suggested these magnetic eye glass and sunglass clipons I thought he was crazy but was guaranteed I could return the full eye glass/sunglass pkg for full money back if I didn't like them.

They have been a God send to me now since we cruise so often. I love to read out on our balcony or on deck but need the added sunscreen benefit from the sunglasses as cataracts have started developing. That, coupled with my aging eyes that now need bifocals, kept me from enjoying my reading time out on deck during cruises.

These magnetic clip ons that come with my eye glass frames fit like a glove and there is no distortion. Added benefit is that I don't have to carry around an extra pair of glasses everywhere I go, just the flat clip ons that I can pop on or pop off in a second.

Will admit there's one downside to the magnetic frames for those that cruise. If you forget and pop your magnetic clip ons off and shoe them into the same pocket where you carry your Sign & Sail card, you could be finding yourself standing in line at the customer service desk for a new S&S card.

Those magnets may look tiny but they can zap that magnetic strip on your S&S card in the bling of an eye.:D

Dianne

For years both my husband and I would have our old lenses tinted when we needed a new prescription. This was both for regular, bifocals and the newer multi focal lenses. We were happy with the results.

But more recently I tired of having to bring along this second pair of glasses and found a pair of sunglasses designed to WEAR OVER my regular glasses. While not too glamorous, they sure work for me. This way I simply push the sunglasses up on my head when going indoors. They're especially great for shopping or touring when you're in and out of the sun frequently.

I lost many clip on over the years.

Oh, so many good responses - and now choices :eek:

I'm on the phone w/our eye doctor right now to see about the magnetic clip-ons. I think that's a good idea so you're still able to see if/when you go inside and have to remove your sunglasses. Let's see what they have to say . . .

Ah, bummer - I believe it was mentioned before - but won't work on ours as the frames themselves have to have the magnet in them. Oh well, back to Plan A. She did warn that any scratches that are in our old glasses w/b more prominent when they're tinted. Just an FYI for anyone else interested in this.

I do believe we're going to give this a go. Guess nothing is perfect for every situation, but I think this is the best option for us at this time.

Thanks to everyone for your input - as usual - very valuable suggestions.

i wear 2 pair of glasses for driving and reading ( other times i dont wear them ) and i tried bi focals and didnt do much for me esp when ive had vertigo before and i dont wear them all the time :) i dont do clips i have the pair of big sunglasses that fit over top of my reg glasses and since there bigger you dont see the sides of glasses matter of fact you cant tell i have them on lol ( presp glasses)

Look and see if they have non magnetic clip-ons that would fit your glasses first. Unless they are an unusual shape, Wal-mart should have them.

I wear glasses and also have prescription sunglasses. If I go without glasses for too long, I end up with a headache. I would also check prices at other places for prescription sunglasses. If you're a member, Costco or Sam's Club may end up being more afforadable, depending on if you have single vision, bifocals, etc... Or like someone suggested, they may be able to put new tinted lenses into old frames for you that would be the correct prescription that would cost you less since you wouldn't need to buy the frames.

I've tinted presecription glasses and my last 2 pair of glasses have the magnetic clips. Pro - they're great like previous posters say - IF the script doesn't change very much - watch out if it does - as for the clips -one clip per glasses - only problem - i keep loosing the clip and they are $$$ to replace because they need to be custom ordered. End of story - my tinted old glasses are in the car and used as spare - my clip stays in the case with me. Hope this helps.:o

I just started wearing glasses last year, and I got clip-ons for the glasses I bought. Besides the fact I ended up not liking the glasses (they're now my home/working in the garden glasses) I don't like the clip-on sunglasses because they don't offer enough protection. I prefer a smaller frame eyeglass, and sunglasses that size just don't protect my eyes from the sun enough! I still wear them in a pinch, but for long times in the sun, they are far from ideal. So I would have the same problem were I to tint an old pair of regular rx eyeglasses. I ended up buying new eyeglasses (in a frame I'd loved from the beginning but my mother said was too nerdy--says the woman who wears Harry Potter glasses:p ) and I LOVE them. And I got a cheap (relatively speaking) pair of rx sunglasses as well--larger than the eyeglasses I prefer (still not talking a Jackie O look--they're a tortoiseshell like my regular eyeglasses too though) and they keep more of the sun out of my eyes.

The last glasses I bought from a regular eyeglass place cost $306. The ones I ordered a few months back (WITH magnetic shades, case & shipping) cost $40 from zennioptical. All you need is your perscription, choose the glasses (I got a "designer" pair- many are cheaper!) and they ship in a few weeks.

I've told everyone I know about this great site.

http://www.zennioptical.com

I have worn the clip-on style (you cannot tell if someone is wearing the clip-on style - it's unnoticeable) for years. I have an appointment tomorrow and was planning to get new glasses that change when you go from sunny conditions to indoors. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

A good friend loves those light sensitive lenses BUT it seems to me they take a long time to adjust to indoor light. I've noticed that it often appears that a person is wearing sunglasses for some time before they adjust.

Before purchasing I'd ask to see how they work and note the length of time needed to change from sunshine to indoor light.

A friend of mine has those light sensitive glasses. One thing she doesn't like about them is when driving in the car. Since she's inside of a car, they don't get dark enough.

I've tinted old prescription sunglasses before, many years ago. Didn't have an issue at all. I just spent over 300 on prescription sunglasses. I totally forgot about the tinting. :eek:

A good friend loves those light sensitive lenses BUT it seems to me they take a long time to adjust to indoor light. I've noticed that it often appears that a person is wearing sunglasses for some time before they adjust.

Before purchasing I'd ask to see how they work and note the length of time needed to change from sunshine to indoor light.

I wore those Transitions lenses for two years and loved them because I wasn't always having to switch from indoor glasses to sunglasses or to clip on magnetic sunglasses which I have done also. The optician did tell me that humidity can affect the speed of transition from light-to-dark and vice-versa, but the lenses have improved over early models.

The price has gone up, so last time I had my prescription changed I went back to the clear glasses with tinted clip-ons. Big mistale. I am so sick of having to take those clip ons off and put them on. Plus I lost the clip ons recently--$70 bucks to replace them! Ouch!

I'm going back to the transitions lenses next time I change prescription. They'll probably be even better by then.

By the way, I live in South Florida, so sunglasses are a year-around requirement for me.

I just picked up my new glasses yesterday!

I've worn Transitions-type lenses for years! Rarely have I had an issue with then not transitioning from dark to light fast enough, but when I do, I just take them off altogether! But then, I can still manage to see without them! :)

I did find out the plastic have the tendancy to stay lighter, while my older glass lenses have become slightly tinted over time even when I've had them in the case.

However, my brother tried the transitional-type lenses and didn't like them (not dark enough for him). He switched to the clip-on type made to fit his glasses. He may even have the magetized ones now. I don't see him often enough to notice!

Archived