What does Disney have that SeaDream does not?

Jim Avery

What policy should SeaDream set?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What policy should SeaDream set?

• Current policy, kids any time, any where
    • Adults only. 21 or over to sail
    • Designated adults only areas (ie: Top of the Yacht & Bali Beds.

Considering that FT is chasing the cowboy for the next two nights you should be okay. Mr DJ missed the article this morning so he did not share the info with FT on their ride back to GSO:p

I understand that they listened to "Demons" quite a few times:D We sure did miss you in CLT last night!!

I wish I had not had class, but Kenny is not my style of music.

As you know FT is spaing next week so maybe I can hide USA Today from her and toss it before she gets back!

LOL

I wish I had not had class, but Kenny is not my style of music.

As you know FT is spaing next week so maybe I can hide USA Today from her and toss it before she gets back!

LOL

while this is off way off topic --- too late, I've already seen and used my coupons for the fall collection.

bringing it back somewhat -- Jim & Lois -- hope the few things fall into place so you can join us in March 09. Still think you ought to make the Transatlantic this November.

DJ -- have you plotted out our tour of St. John yet? I hear from your DH that you have some pretty high expectations for your guest list/entertainment next March!!!

off to do some more stalking . . . , mean observing live music

FT . . .

We are listening to the cowboy on XM right now ... wishing that we were tailgating with y'all!

Glad that you and Mr. DJ understand my expectation for our day in STJ:D

I am sure that Capt. T and the hotel manager (oh please be Christophe) will make sure that our vow renewal/reception/25th anniversary cruise is special!

Enjoy your week at the spa!

We are listening to the cowboy on XM right now ... wishing that we were tailgating with y'all!

I am sure that Capt. T and the hotel manager (oh please be Christophe) will make sure that our vow renewal/reception/25th anniversary cruise is special!

I'm glad you guys are cluing me in on the St. John plans.

I do hope there will be beer.

FT is in charge of the reception so I am sure there will be plenty of champagne and beer:p

Jim, when do you and Lois sail on HAL to Alaska?

We had to cancel. It was to have been August 2. Had to go out to Arizona so got a couple of days in Sedona.

Let us know the latest info for this trip. We know you will provide diet tonic!;)

So far the provision list includes beer, champagne, diet tonic and of course scotch:D

Details to follow!!

Hope that you enjoyed Bermuda! Mr DJ is jetting off to Montreal for business tomorrow while DD starts 10th grade:eek:

To keep us on topic ...

Hey Jim ... Disney has the classic characters while SD has plain old characters;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have read this with interest as someone who doesn't appreciate unruly kids and has a child herself. While I would not bring my 3 year old on a Sea Dream cruise, someday when he's in his teens, my husband and I may want to bring him. I can guarantee he'll be better behaved than many adults, so if you want to start regulating behavior, you need to not discriminate by age. I think your "poll" showing 86% wanting to change the kid policy is pushing a personal agenda and based on very little data. I would hope management is not so short-sighted as to change a policy to please a few vocal people. I personally would not be happy with being on a cruise with out of control children, but I also don't like being around obnoxious adults either. That's a risk one takes when being in public.

ps-The SD cruise we took last Jan included some young children and some teens, and they were all perfectly behaved.

What "personal agenda" would you be referring to? I am only one vote so I can only assume that there are a few other misguided souls out there that simply want what SeaDream markets-55 couples. Kids can and do change the experience even if they are like your kids, perfect.

All the best,

Jim.

To Jim and all the other repeat Sea Dreamers, if you want to regulate who cruises when you are onboard, why don't you charter it so you can do what ever you want. Otherwise, put this poll in the recycle bin where it belongs.:rolleyes:

Chill out, NASCAB..... cut the regulars (who after all keep this board afloat) a little slack:rolleyes:

We all know that this is entertainment and no one expects the management to pay much--if any--attention to Jim's poll. But we do like the fact that this thread and others keep us connected~

alita (who has no personal interest to declare);)

This issue is not exclusive to SeaDream (check out Holland America and others) and has also been raised on Seabourn. There is a constant in all the threads, regardless of the line. The people that would like less/no kids on board give reasons in a rational manner (we all have kids too) but the "pro kid" faction responds with immature attacks like "buy your own yacht" (done that) or "charter the boat and then write your own rules" (don't have enough spare cash) or rants about a "personal agenda" (can't imagine what that agenda might be). This shows a real insecurity or maybe separation anxiety for their children. As mentioned ad infinitum, SeaDream markets itself as for "55 couples". Why blame us "Moms & Dads" that want a nice getaway for the two of us? These types of getaways are very good both for the Moms & Dads as well as the kids. Kids thrive and grow on time out from under your thumb, believe it or not. Then there is the issue of spending $10,000+ for a "couples" week and being expected to share the pool, hot tub, bars, etc. with your perfect children. It is very uncaring for the rights of others to think that your wishes trump what is being sold to others. I love my silky terrier and think all others should too but I don't bring her on SeaDream to lick all over you. It's just not appropriate. SeaDream, when it is providing the marketed SeaDream experience is the best there is. With a bunch of your kids on board, it is something quite less.

All the best,

Jim.

Jim Said:

"There is a constant in all the threads, regardless of the line.... or rants about a "personal agenda" (can't imagine what that agenda might be)"....

"As mentioned ad infinitum, SeaDream markets itself as for "55 couples""....

"I love my silky terrier and think all others should too but I don't bring her on SeaDream to lick all over you. It's just not appropriate"....

"SeaDream, when it is providing the marketed SeaDream experience is the best there is. With a bunch of your kids on board, it is something quite less"....

Excellent points Jim:

-My "personal Agenda" is to avoid the Balanese Beds being used as a changing station, (Yes I have seen it), or a mini day care centre.

-The 55 couple concept is exactly what draws many of us to this line and the size, composition and structure are important in order to execute the experience most of us expect when we book SD.

-I love dogs as well, but thanks for not bringing the Terrier, when I need to get Licked all Over, I'll book Carnival ;) Jello Shots anyone?

Best Regards,

Dimitri T.O.

This issue is not exclusive to SeaDream (check out Holland America and others) and has also been raised on Seabourn. There is a constant in all the threads, regardless of the line. The people that would like less/no kids on board give reasons in a rational manner (we all have kids too) but the "pro kid" faction responds with immature attacks like "buy your own yacht" (done that) or "charter the boat and then write your own rules" (don't have enough spare cash) or rants about a "personal agenda" (can't imagine what that agenda might be). This shows a real insecurity or maybe separation anxiety for their children. As mentioned ad infinitum, SeaDream markets itself as for "55 couples". Why blame us "Moms & Dads" that want a nice getaway for the two of us? These types of getaways are very good both for the Moms & Dads as well as the kids. Kids thrive and grow on time out from under your thumb, believe it or not. Then there is the issue of spending $10,000+ for a "couples" week and being expected to share the pool, hot tub, bars, etc. with your perfect children. It is very uncaring for the rights of others to think that your wishes trump what is being sold to others. I love my silky terrier and think all others should too but I don't bring her on SeaDream to lick all over you. It's just not appropriate. SeaDream, when it is providing the marketed SeaDream experience is the best there is. With a bunch of your kids on board, it is something quite less.

All the best,

Jim.

Jim

I think that you know my opinion. None of us who advocate an adults only experience dislike children. As you said most of us have them, but there needs to be a place for adult time.

SD markets itself as for 55 couples. Not some number of couples and their children. Yes, if your children are grown (ie, of legal age at a minimum) then by all means bring them with you, but on SD minors and infants just don't work well, no matter how well behaved people believe them to be. (Even well behaved children are children and SD is just not equipped to handle them on the yachts.)

If people want to cruise with their children then by all means as is being advocated they should charter the entire ship and have a good time, but if that is not a viable alternative then consider a mass market line. The children will enjoy themselves much more on one of them. Get a suite and enjoy yourself.

I second your opinion Jim. We took our first SeaDream cruise this past June for our 30th anniversary. We were pretty shocked at the numbers of kids on board-family groups made up nearly half the ship. The kids took over the hot tub, pool, TOY bar every night and they had Wii nintendo for them in the lounge several afternoons. They were also all over the sports/water toys. We still had a lovely cruise but it was not what we were expecting at all. I vote for designated family reunion weeks with special rates for the kids that dont drink(on our cruise lots of teenagers were drinking). This way, those of us that prefer to have a bit of peace and quiet will not be disappointed. We have gone on 5 Windstar cruises, a Regent Cruise and a Silver Sea cruise. On the last two there were only a single baby/toddler and it was no problem. There were kids on our two Windstar Holiday cruises but they were pretty mellow-no problem at all. I also agree that these boards are here to help so it is rather counter-productive to bash those with whom we disagree!

We'd do a lot more cruises if we could bring our dog! He would be quite the star at the TOY bar, as he loves people and especially sitting in their laps (he's only a little 85 lb Doberman...). Has a taste for caviar too.

But seriously, we're finding a lot of the higher-end hotels are now starting to welcome dogs, even offering in-room dogsitting while you are out (thanks Paris!). I wonder if cruise lines might find a way to accomodate them? Some of the mega ships now have grassy parks :eek:

From the *current* Seadream website:

5-Star Service

Only 55 couples are pampered by an award-winning crew of 95.

SeaDream’s award-winning 5-star service is second to none. From the moment you are welcomed aboard by the Captain it feels as if you are being welcomed onto your own private luxury yacht. With only 55 couples and an award-winning crew of 95, the 1 to 1 crew to guest ratio provides each guest with SeaDream’s incomparable style and the oh, so important attention to detail. The service aboard either of SeaDream’s twin mega yachts is comfortably transparent, like the way the bartender knows your name and what you would like to drink, or how the waiter knows how to surprise you with your favorite dessert.

Once you experience SeaDream's inimitable service, you will be, “Splendidly Spoiled” and you may never want to go on a cruise ship again.

This is really tricky, you know I take our nieces and nephews with Jean and I when we travel the Carribean on Sea Dream but we have never done that on our European trips.

Maybe designating family weeks would work out for everyone....but segregating the ship, making certain areas off limits would be difficult given how small the ship is

I am little taken aback by Jim's comments that those promoting children on the cruise always have unreasonable comments....I dont think I am unreasonable in bringing my neices and nephews with us when we cruise and I have always promoted having them on board in post after post without ever insulting anyone -

I am confused why the "designated family week" idea did not generate more traction, it would seem to allow those of you who don't want children the opportunity to plan accordingly and those of us who do wnat to bring them along know that we will not be infringing on someone's ideal trip by bringing the kids...it would obviously force Sea Dream to change its marketing material around those trips so no one would feel deceived by advertising the 55 couple thing...

Hi carlylecat:

Sorry if I caused discomfort, none intended to you but if you read the many posts on many different cruise lines, including all our favorite, you will see many of the types of responses by the pro kiddie brigade that are rather hostile. I do like your idea of family cruises and the opposite, all adult cruises. People do need to know more of what to expect as it can make it so different on board. One question. If SeaDream were to go all adult only, would you stop sailing?

All the best,

Jim.

Well, Seadream finally convinced me that the Dec 12 cruise has no big groups nor many children (yet), and with the price and itinerary of the cruise we decided to give Seadream a try.

This particular cruise is very port intensive, without much time in transit from island to island, so we'll be ashore a lot. Plus, all the shore time should wear out any kiddies aboard :)

We're looking at this as a floating hotel room and inter-island transport. If it turns out to be great cruising, then that'll be a bonus.

Well, Seadream finally convinced me that the Dec 12 cruise has no big groups nor many children (yet), and with the price and itinerary of the cruise we decided to give Seadream a try.

We're looking at this as a floating hotel room and inter-island transport. If it turns out to be great cruising, then that'll be a bonus.

Great approach Ragnar -

I think that part of the disappointment of those of us who have been on a SD cruise with a significant number of children, some of who were unsupervised and unruly, was the expectation factor. We truly had no idea that it was possible to get that many children on board and since this followed an ideal adults only SD experience, it was a bit of a shock. Again, that was several years ago and SD made a fairly significant pricing change afterwards, so I think your risk gets much lower with each passing week.

When you go in with eyes open, its much easier to focus on the fun and not any negatives.

Should you encounter unpleasant guests - we found that since almost all the passengers (including kids) were off the ship during the day on excursions, that was the one time we had the staff and TOY, Bali beds, pool, etc all to our adult selves. It may be hard for the DHs to drag Disney Jen and myself off SD on our March cruise (though I hear Disney Jen's DH isn't much for moving off his Balinese bed either) so we'll see if this approach continues to hold up.

Have fun

look forward to reading your review.

FT

Archived