New Solstice Picture – Looking good!

Xcruiser

Don, I don’t think that information Wikipedia is correct. From the way they are painting Solstice in the shipyard I think it will look like the renderings on Celebrity’s website. Solstice will have a blue stripe that runs the length of the promenade (that is really not on the promenade deck but on the outer Entertainment deck:rolleyes: ) and covers the specialty restaurants aft.

You guys are probably right, I just found it accidentally and threw it out there...

There has been water in the dock for awhile now and the Funnel has had an exhaust out of the building dock because they have already been running engine tests. This week early on Sunday morning they are planning to undock her and head her over to the finishing dock. The really big deal will be the transfer down river to Ems Hafen (end of September) from where she will undergo seatrails before all thoses of you eagerly waiting to board her get your turn.

Thank you for posting the link - that's an amazing picture.

It's so difficult to get a real feel for the scale of what we're looking at. If you didn't know, you'd almost thing you were looking at a small garage or workshop with an oversize model or something. All the visual cues are misleading: for example, that blue structure beyond Solstice's bows could almost be a set of shelves made out dexion or something similar.

Then you look closer and notice that there are staircases between each of the 'shelves'; there are a few tiny figures, and a rubbish skip, on Equinox's Lido deck; and you realise that the building must be about 350 yards long!

Link to the MeyerWerft press release on Solstice undocking:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1578

Link to the latest Hi-Res picture of Solstice – she dry again:

http://redaktion.meyer-neptun.de/exfiles/8/celebrity%20sostice/s%20675_hires.jpg

Enjoy!:)

She looks great in that last picture...

I noticed they have also removed part of the temporary exhaust tubing from the funnel casings.

I hear the funnels will be attached next Monday. Can't wait to see her out of the shed and complete with funnels!

Ernie

Does anyone have a definitive idea whether the lifeboats are visible from the midship Continental Deck verandas or are they "tucked in" on the promenade deck. A call to Celebrity Captains Club resulted in a definite maybe, gleaned from looking at the brochure picture. Not a good enough answer.

I'll be at the Jersey shore on Sunday. I need to remember the float out!

She's looking great! I wish she would have the current Celebrity livery, but she still looks good.

I agree with Xcruiser, by far the best looking modern cruise ship.

tipster42,

The lifeboats are in their fixed position. You'll be able to see them from the Continental deck balconies behind them, but I'm pretty sure that they won't obstruct your view. You won't see the ocean surface right below the balcony (They're set back anyway) but you'll be able to see straight out.

The lifeboats actually sit on the Promenade rather than being suspended above it. So, don't worry, your view should be fine!

Does anyone have a definitive idea whether the lifeboats are visible from the midship Continental Deck verandas or are they "tucked in" on the promenade deck. A call to Celebrity Captains Club resulted in a definite maybe, gleaned from looking at the brochure picture. Not a good enough answer.

I certainly don't have anything like a definitive answer, but the lifeboats as pictured in the latest Meyerwerft webshot seem to be placed exactly where they are located on the deck plan for the Entertainment Deck on the Solstice. It looks like a lot of us with midships cabins will be looking down on the lifeboats, as opposed to directly down into the briny.

Another thing I've noticed, now that more of the tarps have been removed:

Looking at where the white stanchions for balconies have been placed for the (9?) forward cabins on the Sunrise deck , it looks as though the ship's designers have decided not to increase the depth of balconies, even though it seems as if there would have been room to do so.

If the white stanchions mark the line for installation of the stateroom balconies, then it looks as if those forward cabins will have an area of deck protruding beyond their balconies. Wouldn't this be incredibly unsafe? (Looking at the shadows, there might be an outside chance that this "lip" is angled downward, to discourage thrillseekers who might think to take a "walk" outside the line of the balconies. There also appear to be a series of much narrower silver uprights at the farthest edge of the protruding lip of deck. Would these carry chains, as in the area atop the bridge?) There is a similar "lip" on a portion of the deck below, and a few cabins further aft.

It seems so very strange to me, with such potential for disaster, that I must be reading the photo completely wrong. I would appreciate anyone else's interpretation.

Looking at where the white stanchions for balconies have been placed for the (9?) forward cabins on the Sunrise deck , it looks as though the ship's designers have decided not to increase the depth of balconies, even though it seems as if there would have been room to do so.

If the white stanchions mark the line for installation of the stateroom balconies, then it looks as if those forward cabins will have an area of deck protruding beyond their balconies. Wouldn't this be incredibly unsafe? (Looking at the shadows, there might be an outside chance that this "lip" is angled downward, to discourage thrillseekers who might think to take a "walk" outside the line of the balconies. There also appear to be a series of much narrower silver uprights at the farthest edge of the protruding lip of deck. Would these carry chains, as in the area atop the bridge?) There is a similar "lip" on a portion of the deck below, and a few cabins further aft.

It seems so very strange to me, with such potential for disaster, that I must be reading the photo completely wrong. I would appreciate anyone else's interpretation.

If you notice, some of the balconies on Continental deck have this same thing.

I noticed this and made a thread about Solstice maybe having the extra-large forward balconies like the Millenium class' "Sweet 16". I guess they aren't extending the balconies to the edge. It seems kind of dumb from a design standpoint, because if they did increase the balconies to the edge of the ship, they could charge more for the extra space. And I'm sure people would pay.

I guess when I sail on Equinox we'll have a white metal section in front of our balcony. Doesn't bother me, though.

As for the lifeboat issue, even if the lifeboats were set back in the ship, people on their balconies would still look down onto the promenade since the rooms are set back from the edge of the ship.

And like I said above, the lifeboats sit lower than the balconies so they shouldn't obstruct the view.

I might have to stay up and watch that! I think they are 6 hours ahead of us, so here on the east coast, it'll begin at 1:30 pm.:eek:

Garry

I already made this mistake; I think the undocking will begin at 1:30am EST right?;)

I hope they have the float-out in re-run archives. I won't make it. :o

You might have to wait until you get onboard Solstice for re-runs. Celebrity has plenty on their cabin TV’s. :p

I also hope they add a little color to the ship. I think it needs a little something, something.;)
I was thinking along the lines of NCL only in a Celebrity fashion they could paint a giant martini on the bow. Each Solstice class ship could have a different flavor to set them apart, what’s u think? :D

Archived