Tuxs vs suits for Formal nights

Mysteryfan

If you are going on a cruise of 21 days or longer you will find many more tuxes. If you go on a voyage of 35 days or longer I think you will find 65-75% Tuxes and, or, dinner Jackets....The demographics change dramatically as the cruise length increases......Also, It has been my experience that the Prinsendam tends to a bit more formality and tradional atmosphere....hope this helps.

If you are going on a cruise of 21 days or longer you will find many more tuxes. If you go on a voyage of 35 days or longer I think you will find 65-75% Tuxes and, or, dinner Jackets....The demographics change dramatically as the cruise length increases......Also, It has been my experience that the Prinsendam tends to a bit more formality and tradional atmosphere....hope this helps.

Puzzled??? I do not know the difference between a Dinner Jacket & a Sport Coat???:confused: Help Please Dee

Puzzled??? I do not know the difference between a Dinner Jacket & a Sport Coat???:confused: Help Please Dee
...Hi Dee, A dinner jacket is a white formal jacket worn with Tuxedo pants, cumberbund etc....Tony Martin made them famous and popular in the late 40's and 50,s....Remember now???

My husband wore his tux on our recent 7 day cruise to Alaska, and was definitely in the minority. We dined in the Pinnacle on both of the formal evenings, and noticed that most men were dressed in suits.

I own my tux but was wondering on HOlland America what is being used more, business suits or tuxs for formal nights???

When I first wore my first tux in the 70's I paid around $75.00 for one night. 30 years later the tux at $89.00 for a week is a great deal and allows you to treat yourself to look sharp. Leave your own tux at home and just rent. It lightens your suitcase. :p

My husband wore his tux on our recent 7 day cruise to Alaska, and was definitely in the minority. We dined in the Pinnacle on both of the formal evenings, and noticed that most men were dressed in suits.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises.

And our Westerdam Alaskan cruise in May was the same way -- very few tuxedos.

DH still wore his.

Just got off a back to back cruise on the Zaandam. On the first 7 day segment the Tux population was under 10%. It was the lowest Ive ever seen. On the return voyage the ratio climbed to about 20%. I like to wear a tux but it appears to be on a rapid decline. Alaska has always been low on the tux population.

I am starting to think about our packing for our upcoming Maasdam cruises and can't decide whether to just bring Dh's tuxedo or to also bring his white dinner jacket. He will definitely be wearing one or the other on formal nights.

We find for Canada/New England sailings there are at least 50-60% gentlemen in tux or dinner jacket.

With all this talk about the low% of men wearing tuxes on formal night, let me just point out a little-know fact:

Wearing a tuxedo on formal night improves a husband's chances of "getting lucky" with his DW by approx. 85%.:D

'nuff said...:o

With all this talk about the low% of men wearing tuxes on formal night, let me just point out a little-know fact:

Wearing a tuxedo on formal night improves a husband's chances of "getting lucky" with his DW by approx. 85%.:D

Maybe amongst the newlyweds. You know those married less than 25 years. :rolleyes:

Okay I have to tell this humerous story. Last year while cruising on the Volendam we had a Deluxe Veranda. The cruise director had told us that "we had the James Bond suite"; it seems that two cruises before an actor who had portrayed James Bond had used our suite. So on the first formal night upon return to the room I had gone out on the Veranda to see the sights and upon my return to the room my lovely DW was already close to turning the lights out. There I was IMO looking great in my tux at the foot of the bed and I said--'BOND JAMES BOND" --my DW wife looked up to me with her beautiful sleepy eyes and said 'YOUR NO JAMES BOND AND I'M NO PUSSY GALORE GO TO BED':eek:

So the moral of this story is there is never a guarantee whether your James Bond or not.:mad:

:D We will celebrate our 39th Anniversary on our upcoming Maasdam cruise and DH still wears his tux or dinner jacket on all our cruises. ;)

We celebrated our 35th in May, and DH always wears his tuxedo/dinner jacket on all of our cruises. He's no dummy.:D

Archived