Traveling with your Birth Certificate

Hi-

We are headed to Mexico on the Pride...We decided to just use our Birth Certificates instead of getting Passports. Since they are not madatory until 06/09... Any advice?

Should we take an extrac copy with us out on Port or just leave it on the ship?

Thank you,

secretv2:confused:

First, make sure your birth certificate is an official certified copy (usually with a raised seal) and not the one issued by the hospital.

Then, you must also take government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license.

When getting off the ship in port, all you need to bring is your photo ID (becuase most local port authorities will not let you into the secure area around the ship without checking your photo ID first), and the Sea Pass that the cruise line issues when you register.

PS: Those under 16 years old do not need photo ID.

Hi-

We are headed to Mexico on the Pride...We decided to just use our Birth Certificates instead of getting Passports. Since they are not madatory until 06/09... Any advice?

Should we take an extrac copy with us out on Port or just leave it on the ship?

Thank you,

secretv2:confused:

As Donna indicated make sure that it's the official birth certificate. The raised seal has been replaced with a watermark in many jurisdictions.

Boarding will be denied if you do not have the correct BC.

Charlie

The only time you need the BC is for boarding--you will NOT need it in port for any reason. Leave it on the ship. Do take your DL ashore, as some ports (not the ship) require it to get back into the port/boarding area.

Good for you! There's no reason to purchase a passport until they are needed, or until YOU need one! I'm all for saving money!

The only time you need the BC is for boarding--you will NOT need it in port for any reason. Leave it on the ship. Do take your DL ashore, as some ports (not the ship) require it to get back into the port/boarding area.

Good for you! There's no reason to purchase a passport until they are needed, or until YOU need one! I'm all for saving money!

Needing one or not can be relative ... if one misses the ship at a port call or, heaven forbid, needs to fly home on an emergency basis, one would need that passport.

You also will need the official BC and DL to get back into the USA. As was pointed out below, if for any reason you have to fly home from a foreign port, you must have a valid passport. Passports may not be required until next year for cruises to the Caribbean but are needed for all other travel. The passport is good for 10 years (adults) and really is not all that expensive. Europeans and other foreign nationals have been using passports most of their lives. It is new to us in the USA that have not had to use them before for travel in North America but that is changing. I would rather carry my passport when out of the country instead of my DL because it has less identifying personal information on it making it harder for the finder to use the information to access my credit/bank accounts.

OK - let's address the comments that you must have a passport if you need to fly home in the case of an emergency, or if you miss the ship in port.

First of all, you need to minimize the risk of missing the ship. Either take a ship's excursion, because if it is late returning, the ship will wait for you. Or, if you plan to go off on your own, stay near the port area, or take a morning tour with a reputable private tour guide (as recommended on the Cruise Critic port of call board.) Plan to return to the ship two hours or more before the "all aboard" time, which is usually one-half hour before the ship is scheduled to sail away. Missing the ship is very rare, and those who do take risks that cut it too close to sailaway time.

One of the things I forgot to mention that you should take ashore with you is the contact information for the port agent at each place. This is usually listed in your ship's daily newsletter. The port agent is the one who will help you if you encounter problems while ashore. There are provisions in place for USA citizens to be able to return home even if they don't have a passport. It involves getting in touch with the US consolate in that country, and getting a temporary passport. This could be a hassle, but you won't be stranded.

For the past three cruises, my husband and I have been traveling with expired passports, and our children didn't have any at all. (We've since gotten new passports for all four of us). We never felt that the risk was so great -we were cautious while ashore, and understood that in the rare event that the unthinkable happened, we'd be tied up at the US embassy in that country for several hours sorting it out.

OK - let's address the comments that you must have a passport if you need to fly home in the case of an emergency, or if you miss the ship in port.

First of all, you need to minimize the risk of missing the ship. Either take a ship's excursion, because if it is late returning, the ship will wait for you. Or, if you plan to go off on your own, stay near the port area, or take a morning tour with a reputable private tour guide (as recommended on the Cruise Critic port of call board.) Plan to return to the ship two hours or more before the "all aboard" time, which is usually one-half hour before the ship is scheduled to sail away. Missing the ship is very rare, and those who do take risks that cut it too close to sailaway time.

One of the things I forgot to mention that you should take ashore with you is the contact information for the port agent at each place. This is usually listed in your ship's daily newsletter. The port agent is the one who will help you if you encounter problems while ashore. There are provisions in place for USA citizens to be able to return home even if they don't have a passport. It involves getting in touch with the US consolate in that country, and getting a temporary passport. This could be a hassle, but you won't be stranded.

For the past three cruises, my husband and I have been traveling with expired passports, and our children didn't have any at all. (We've since gotten new passports for all four of us). We never felt that the risk was so great -we were cautious while ashore, and understood that in the rare event that the unthinkable happened, we'd be tied up at the US embassy in that country for several hours sorting it out.

The only part that I would have any disagreement with is that the ship will wait. While this is generally true they are under no obligation to do so. It's in the fine print of the contracts of every cruise line that I have checked. OTOH you do have a better chance of the ship holding for you if you are on the excursion sold by the ship.

Charlie

The only part that I would have any disagreement with is that the ship will wait. While this is generally true they are under no obligation to do so. It's in the fine print of the contracts of every cruise line that I have checked. OTOH you do have a better chance of the ship holding for you if you are on the excursion sold by the ship.

Charlie

Technically, you're right. If the ship's excursion is running very late, the ship may not be able to wait for you. They do have to leave the berth at the pier (or tender spot) by a certain time, or pay heavy port tax fines. Generally, though, if you are on a ship's excursion, they take responsibility for helping you catch up with the ship. We've been on sailings where the Captain took the ship a few miles offshore, and then a tender boat or a patrol boat brought the late passengers to meet the ship.

The key is to minimize the risk by not taking full-day excursions far away from the port, and leaving yourself a cushion of several hours to get back in time. (We usually are the first ones off the ship, take early morning, half-day private tours, and get back to the ship in time for a late lunch.)

Missing the ship is very rare, and those who do take risks that cut it too close to sailaway time.

Hmm, I don't think it's all THAT rare - seen plenty of stories about it here just on CC. On our '06 Explorer cruise a teen was left in St. Martin and the couple in the cabin next to us were left in San Juan.

There are provisions in place for USA citizens to be able to return home even if they don't have a passport. It involves getting in touch with the US consolate in that country, and getting a temporary passport. This could be a hassle, but you won't be stranded.

Not quite right. I think it's misleading to make it sound like it's no big deal, breeze down to the embassy, pick up a new passport and head on out. You WILL be stranded at least for awhile - and not hours but days. And if it's a weekend or holiday, unless it's life or death, you are unlikely to get the duty officer to do anything. First you have to get to the US Embassy, then you have to prove that you are actually a US Citizen, then they have to do paperwork and issue an emergency passport (takes time and is expensive), then you have to find and fund a way out of where you are back to USA. And - you have to live in a hotel and eat while all this takes place.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1197.html

I don't want to cause an argument, Allie, but ease up on your critcism.

We've also seen people left ashore in Jamaica and in Grand Cayman. But, compared to the number of people who go ashore from these mega-ships, and the two or three times I've seen in happen in 8 cruises, the ratio indicates that it is indeed very rare. As well, these are people who took risks - they were drinking and lost track of the time, or they just cut it too close. The point of my post was that it is very important to minimize these risks, esp if you are traveling without a passport. I stressed leaving yourself several hours cushion by taking early morning, half-day tours that will get you back in plenty of time, or just staying very close to the port.

I never said it was a breeze to get clearance to leave a foreign country without a passport, and my post is not misleading. In fact, I said it was a hassle. The point of my post is that there are provisions in place and you won't be stranded even if you don't have a passport. I never said it was going to be easy, just that it's doable.

My post was very clear that if someone plans to travel without a passport, they need to take extra precautions to minimize the risk, and provide some sort of direction for anyone who finds themselves in a situation where they need to fly out of a foreign country without a passport.

Although I didn't ask the original question, I appreciate all the feedback. My husband and I are cruising on the Valor leaving 10/12 and have decided to use our birth certificates (with raised seal) and driver's license. Can't see paying $200 if not required. That $200 came in handy when reserving a room at a Disney resort next year :) ;)

Bonnie

All of you taking birth certificates instead of passports, you should be aware that the name on your birth certificate had better match the name on your DL (or other government ID). If you are a married female or was adopted while a child, your birth certificate may have one surname and your DL will have another. Saying that your are now married will not impress the government official. S/he may well ask to see the original copy of your marriage certificate or adoption papers.

All travelers reentering the USA will need a passport next year (assuming they do not delay it again which I seriously doubt). Saving money on a passport now may be a short sighted savings.

Having a passport is not really that big of a deal. Foreign nations have been doing it for decades. Your DL is not an accepted form of identification in most parts of the world, your passport is accepted.

It is highly recommended that you make a photo copy of your passport and leave it with someone back home who can fax it to a USA embassy/consulate in case you loose your passport. Having a photo copy with you can do the same and will facilitate a quicker replacement at the USA embassy/consulate. Photo copy of your passport is not an acceptable form of identification just like a photocopy of your birth certificate is acceptable.

All of you taking birth certificates instead of passports, you should be aware that the name on your birth certificate had better match the name on your DL (or other government ID). If you are a married female or was adopted while a child, your birth certificate may have one surname and your DL will have another. Saying that your are now married will not impress the government official. S/he may well ask to see the original copy of your marriage certificate or adoption papers.

All travelers reentering the USA will need a passport next year (assuming they do not delay it again which I seriously doubt). Saving money on a passport now may be a short sighted savings.

Having a passport is not really that big of a deal. Foreign nations have been doing it for decades. Your DL is not an accepted form of identification in most parts of the world, your passport is accepted.

It is highly recommended that you make a photo copy of your passport and leave it with someone back home who can fax it to a USA embassy/consulate in case you loose your passport. Having a photo copy with you can do the same and will facilitate a quicker replacement at the USA embassy/consulate. Photo copy of your passport is not an acceptable form of identification just like a photocopy of your birth certificate is acceptable.

Indeed, if the government holds fast on the deadline people are going to need a passport soon anyway. Plus, with the cost of everything going up, who's to say that it won't be cheaper to buy the passport now instead of later at a (possibly) higher price.

One other suggested method of having a copy handy is to scan the necessary pages and email them to yourself before leaving. If needed, you could retrieve it from anywhere that internet is available for the Consulate to use.

Charlie

Along with taking our Birth Certificates & Driver's License, I am taking our Marriage License. (I got a Certified Copy with a Raised Seal on it. It is scanned along with our application, License and Certificate)

The travel agent did mention it to me and said it would be a good idea in case of an emergency.

What else would be wise to take along for proof of Citizenship and identity?

Thanks for the tips!

secretv2:)

I never said it was a breeze to get clearance to leave a foreign country without a passport, and my post is not misleading. In fact, I said it was a hassle. The point of my post is that there are provisions in place and you won't be stranded even if you don't have a passport. I never said it was going to be easy, just that it's doable.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you a thousand times over!

I get so tired of the notion that you are DOOMED if you travel without a passport. The US government is dumb, but they are not plum dumb. They are aware that people travel without passports (they permit it) and may need to fly home, immediately. This whole passport thing is their idea anyway. People on CC really belittle you if you do not currently have a passport. When one is needed, all will have. Even with this new passport card. There will be provisions for air travel out of a county.

Hello please help!! im know im probably worrying over nothing but heres my story. My girlfriends birth certificate was lost so we ordered one online from texas department of state health services. The vital statistics, and paid about 40 dollars total for it expidited, anyways the birth certificate i guess looks real all it is is a bunch of info on the top and two little state of texas seals that feel slightly raised at the bottom. and when you hold the document up to the light it says vital record. is this oky or does it sound like a fake, i mean i got it right from texas's website directly

Hello please help!! im know im probably worrying over nothing but heres my story. My girlfriends birth certificate was lost so we ordered one online from texas department of state health services. The vital statistics, and paid about 40 dollars total for it expidited, anyways the birth certificate i guess looks real all it is is a bunch of info on the top and two little state of texas seals that feel slightly raised at the bottom. and when you hold the document up to the light it says vital record. is this oky or does it sound like a fake, i mean i got it right from texas's website directly

You've got the real deal. (I'm in TX, too.) The certified copies of my boys' birth certificates look pretty cheesy, too - looks like something I could have whipped out on my own computer! And I walked into the vital records office and got them in person!

I don't want to cause an argument, Allie, but ease up on your critcism.

You stated your opinion, I stated mine. Only difference is mine is backed up by direct information from a US Gov't website.

We've also seen people left ashore in Jamaica and in Grand Cayman. But, compared to the number of people who go ashore from these mega-ships, and the two or three times I've seen in happen in 8 cruises, the ratio indicates that it is indeed very rare.

I'm sure it is in terms of overall pax - but not per ship - either way if you are one of those people left behind, that isn't much consolation now is it?

As well, these are people who took risks - they were drinking and lost track of the time, or they just cut it too close.

And sometimes it's not either of those things - like several posts I've seen where a pax was injured ashore and missed the boat - so it's not always a case of "you were foolish and deserved it". So what's wrong - in either case - of telling the person(s) the most efficient and most likely way to get back home?

The point of my post was that it is very important to minimize these risks, esp if you are traveling without a passport. I stressed leaving yourself several hours cushion by taking early morning, half-day tours that will get you back in plenty of time, or just staying very close to the port.

I think most posters here are adults and are smart enough to realize to do these things. The "I should strive to not be left behind" isn't in question here. It's how to get back to the US when you have been left.

I never said it was a breeze to get clearance to leave a foreign country without a passport, and my post is not misleading.

You implied it was no big deal, and I think that is misleading. I'm entitled to my opinion and to warn others reading your post as to what is actually involved.

In fact, I said it was a hassle. The point of my post is that there are provisions in place and you won't be stranded even if you don't have a passport. I never said it was going to be easy, just that it's doable.

The only way is to get a replacement passport. People need to know you can't just walk into a US embassy and walk out an hour or two later with a new passport - doesn't work that way in the majority of cases. And you will be stranded in another country possibly for days.

My post was very clear that if someone plans to travel without a passport, they need to take extra precautions to minimize the risk, and provide some sort of direction for anyone who finds themselves in a situation where they need to fly out of a foreign country without a passport.

Please do tell - just how do you fly out of a foreign country back to the US without a passport? Cuz according to the US gov't if you lose your passport or don't have it - you need to get another one issued - so that is not flying out without a passport.

Please do tell - and with appropriate links to gov't - not just your opinion please - where are the provisions to fly back to the USA without a passport?

The only provision is to get a replacement passport at a US Embassy. Occasionally if it's truly life and death a duty officer may give you a letter to try to get you on a plane, but it's not guaranteed, nor is "I missed my boat" a life or death situation.

The US Gov't website clearly states the passport card is good only for land crossings with Mexico and Canada.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you a thousand times over!

I get so tired of the notion that you are DOOMED if you travel without a passport. The US government is dumb, but they are not plum dumb. They are aware that people travel without passports (they permit it) and may need to fly home, immediately. This whole passport thing is their idea anyway. People on CC really belittle you if you do not currently have a passport. When one is needed, all will have. Even with this new passport card. There will be provisions for air travel out of a county.

Allie, you are working on an assumption in a couple of posts that the stranded person concerned, has 'lost' a passport...........

What is the position for someone who has to have a 'brand new' passport issued because they don't have an existing one and they only have the minimum travel ID info such as B.C. etc? Will the US embassy issue a passport or attempt to get the person(s) concerned back to the mainland? I would hate to have to risk this in some of the quieter places that cruise ships visit. It's a challenge to get the embassies to work efficiently at the best of times.

The only government position I know of that has been documented is found here:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/tools/fud.html

(thanks to Theron, CC poster for creating the webpage and investigating this exact issue)

And the only situation of this nature posted thus far, where we know the specifics, is that of the Cortes family, who did not have passports, was removed from a ship on a Tuesday night at 11 pm, paid $455 for five passports and was back home telling the news media about it on the following Friday (three days).

Passports and travel insurance are very similar in this regard; an extra expense until you need them. People choose to travel without them and others choose to travel with them.

Archived