Gaucho Pants on Formal Night?

Well, seems my formal clothes have "shrunk" since our last cruise. :(

I'm trying to avoid having to buy something else, since we dress formally so infrequently. So, I've searched my closet and came up with possible alternatives. I need your advice - I've got a really nice red short-sleeve top that's adorned w/black and gold beads. Very fancy and certainly appropriate for formal night. My question, would gauchos be appropriate? The 2 pieces look good together, but I'm not sure if the pants are too casual?

If it's a go, my next question is now - hose or no hose? I normally don't wear hose w/them, but based on what I've read on other threads here, have come to feel hose should be worn on formal night. (I know there are some that don't agree with that, but that's not my question here.)

I'm wanting to know - gauchos or no? Then if yes to gauchos - hose or no? (Close-toe shoes definitely if hose).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

It's so hard to visualize without a picture.

My first instinct would be to say that gauchos are too casual, but that's not fair to say without seeing the outfit.

While cruise line formal nights are nowhere near formal events on land any more, most women do wear long dresses or short cocktail dresses. Evening pants are acceptable, could you maybe invest in a pair of flowy, long pants?

The only way I can possibly see gaucho pants remotely looking dressy is if they are very loose and flowy, almost like a skirt.

Whatever you choose to wear, have a lovely cruise :)

Agree that a picture would help but....the description of your top sounds very dressy as you said. I think gaucho's would be just fine especially as the other poster said if they were "flowy". I personally would wear open toed sandals/shoes...something dressy and snazzy with a good pedicure and no hose (if you've got a tan!!).

IMHO, whether the gauchos are appropriate or not would depend on the fabic, as well as on the cut. For example, linen--no, chiffon, yes.

If they do turn out to be OK, I agree with the recommendation of dressy sandals and no hose.

As others have reflected, gaucho's are usually considered casual. However, I own a pair of black Chico's Travelers gaucho's that are more "like" a skirt and fall just below the knee. I am 5'6". I wear them with a matching cowl neck and jacket and flat sandals or wedge sandals.

This is a great time of year to check out "end of season" bargains especially in the formal department. A pair of formal black split pants could probably be found for less than $20. Wish we were closer, I have out grown (the good way) a nice pair of Car Wash Pants size 16 that I've only worn twice.

Wear sandals also on a Caribbean cruise. Come to think of it, I've never brought closed toe shoes for evening on any cruise.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Hi:) , as you can see there are varying opinions

about your question.

I hope I don't get flamed by offering mine:eek: but personally,

I don't think gauchos are formalwear.

Lois R, I would not flame you, or anyone for responding when I ask an opinion - especially if that opinion is offered respectfully as yours was. I have been mulling over my own question all day, and I think I'm agreeing with you. But I'm still eager to see what others have to say. I'm open to the feedback - that's why I asked. I'm thinking the gauchos may be more appropriate with a more casual top for the non-formal nights. Who knows what I'll end up doing. I've still got 2 months to see if I can do something about my evening dresses that "shrunk". :eek:

I'm thinking the gauchos may be more appropriate with a more casual top for the non-formal nights. Who knows what I'll end up doing. I've still got 2 months to see if I can do something about my evening dresses that "shrunk". :eek:

personally, I agree with Lois R and I think paired with a more casual top, your above idea is really nice for non-formal night; and I think the gauchos with a pair of strappy sandals would look good. Do you have a nice skirt or dressy black pants/slacks to go with your formal top?

Lois R, I would not flame you, or anyone for responding when I ask an opinion - especially if that opinion is offered respectfully as yours was. I have been mulling over my own question all day, and I think I'm agreeing with you. But I'm still eager to see what others have to say. I'm open to the feedback - that's why I asked. I'm thinking the gauchos may be more appropriate with a more casual top for the non-formal nights. Who knows what I'll end up doing. I've still got 2 months to see if I can do something about my evening dresses that "shrunk". :eek:

Hi:) ...thanks for the reply. You never know how others will

reply to posts.

Anyway, I have some very cute ones that are casual and

yes, I think would be much more appropriate on those evenings.

I sail 5 weeks from today:D

rarescrambler, You sound like a lovely person. Some people ask a question and then are offended if everyone does not agree or support their query.

This is what this board is all about, asking questions and getting different opinions by people who actually care. Without any hurt feelings :)

This is off-topic, but I see a couple of you are from California! That's my home state and where my & my husband's families all live. Happy ks, where in California are you? I grew up (and my family still lives) in Anaheim, then Whittier when we got married. Then the high desert (Victorville area) before moving out to metro Atlanta 11 yrs ago for my husband's job. Miss the families (esp. my sisters) a LOT. But they and their husbands w/b joining us on this cruise. First time we're all cruising together! W/b a very special time.

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll weigh all your opinions and advice.

I live in Mission Viejo, for 19 years now. Before that was El Toro (now named Lake Forest...pity) and before that an assortment of apartments in my 20's. I grew up in Garden Grove when it was still a nice town to live in. My sister still lives in Anaheim and we go to her house frequently.

We were originally from New England, my parents moved here to CA when I was 6 years old, so I barely remember it. It's lovely to visit there and our closest (in feelings, not geographical!) cousins are in New Hampshire.

For many years my husband and I have been Disney fans, this is the first year in many we don't have an annual pass, but if you look at my sig, we've been working and saving all year for our cruise in October, to Italy and Croatia (first time to Europe :) ).

I have a niece who is working out in Victorville right now, she loves it.

How do you like the Atlanta area?

Personally, I would not wear gaucho trousers on formal nights. I think that it's inherently a casual style that would look better with a pretty blouse and cute sandals. I'm always in favour of wearing skirts or dresses for evening events, but if you feel more comfortable wearing trousers there are several styles made out of chiffon with flowing legs, etc.

Cheers,

Persephone

Wear the gauchos, ditch the hose! As someone else suggested, some nice strappy sandals would suit the tropics! If you like the gauchos, and they go well with the top, I don't see anything wrong with wearing them to formal night.

On the Valor this last January, I saw everything from ball gowns to pantsuits. Dress for yourself, and don't worry about what others think.

Archived