Formal nights

janesm

That is what I do too. Wear my bulky dress shoes.

Only other problem is I also take a pair of tennis shoes since we walk a lot

around the upper deck of the ship. They are a little bulky but I also stuff them full of things for traveling. Pair of sandals, maybe reef shoes if needed and we are set.

Bring a lightweight black pair to go with the suit and wear them with slacks and a nice shirt on Country Club casual nights. Same goes with the belt.

Here's my shoe list for a short trip:

- Lightweight black loafers (more fancy than just penny-loafers)

- Running/walking type shoes (wear on plane)

- Water-proof, closed toe sandals (works at pool, on reef, etc.)

If packing is not too tight I also bring a nice pair of casual shoes that go with dress shorts for during the day on the ship or in a more formal port.

Ha-ha, I just had a vision of all the guys on the ship looking like clones after reading this thread...

Is a blue blazer with tie and charcoal trousers considered passable on a formal night? I'll be on Voyager for the Rome to Ft. Lauderdale itinerary in November and there are two formal nights, one on each of the 8-night legs.
NO NO NO if I have to pack a suit or tuxedo so do you...formal means dark SUIT or tuxedo....PERIOD...you will always find those who ignore protocol and they stick out like a sore thumb... don't be one of them unless you just don't care and you obviously do or would not have asked!

OK, having allowed my travel agent to lure me away from Oceania. I am now concerned about the whole formal nights thing. While the proud possesser of several very nice sportcoats, my wardrobe hasn't seen a suit since...well I can't remember. Will I be condemned to have dinner in the cabin that night. Can I get away with the nice tan Perry Ellis up for grabs at the resale store?

Help....!

I know there has been a big debate amongst some of us (generally discussing whether or not Regent should even have a "formal" night). However, I was on the Mariner in May and watched the parade of passengers entering Compass Rose on formal night. There absolutely were men with sports jackets. There were also men wearing tuxedo's and some with dark suits. Hope you are not scared off by those who feel everyone should wear a tux (although they are entitled to their opinion as well):)

As I said before. This time I am only taking a solid Black or Navy, (can't decided), blazer. I will were it with dark grey slacks for formal night.

Will also have a pair of tan slacks for informal nights.

Won't be taking the dark suit this time.

OK, having allowed my travel agent to lure me away from Oceania. I am now concerned about the whole formal nights thing. While the proud possesser of several very nice sportcoats, my wardrobe hasn't seen a suit since...well I can't remember. Will I be condemned to have dinner in the cabin that night. Can I get away with the nice tan Perry Ellis up for grabs at the resale store?

Help....!

Paris, I feel for you. My husband went through this when we first went on the Diamond 4 years ago. He did not own a suit, had not owned one since his first wedding in the 60's (not to me). He had a beautiful wool/silk sports jacket, but he had outgrown it (ahem). He ended up with a cheap but nice looking dark blue suit, with a pair of gray slacks as a second pair of pants, so he can wear the jacket as a blazer. He managed to collect a small set of ties over the years, which I supplemented. He never wears these clothes anywhere but on a cruise (although I could see him wearing the jacket to a wedding.)

You *can* just have room service on these nights, but beware of the lounges, you might get turfed. I'm sure the open deck would be fine.

Wendy, my DH did the same thing in terms of formal wear. However, I have to disagree about lounges and getting turfed out. I was watching men still in shorts at 6:30 p.m. in the Observation Lounge on the Mariner on our recent Alaska cruise. By 7:00 p.m., a few in t-shirts were still there (on formal night). It has been obvious on my previous two cruises that, while Regent's written dress code has not changed, people are dressing less formally.

In addition to sports jackets on formal nights, there were some men without jackets on informal night (nice slacks -- long sleeve shirt). :o

Of course I can always hope that Regent will change its tune in the next year or so, as I am not travelling until November 15. Or the local resale store will come up with something fabulous in my size, before then (that is assuming my size doesn't change).

At least several pieces of one of my formal outfits came from the local second-hand store!

Cat, I was basing my remark on one incident where DH got turfed from the Observation Lounge on formal night (after eating at La Verandah). He just went back to the room and threw on a jacket.

At least several pieces of one of my formal outfits came from the local second-hand store!

Cat, I was basing my remark on one incident where DH got turfed from the Observation Lounge on formal night (after eating at La Verandah). He just went back to the room and threw on a jacket.

It seems like they were taking the rule a bit far.:( I was surprised to see the apparent recent relaxation of dress codes. When I'm on the Voyager (5 1/2 weeks -- but, whose counting). . . I'll make it a point to notice. Just realized that we have no formal nights - but we do have "informal" and will be dining at Signatures (does that have the "formal" designation? -- don't recall).

This will be our first return to the Voyager since 2006. There are several issues that have appeared on this board that I want to check out. I will post from the ship -- but, nothing as detailed as I did from the Mariner as this is a shorter and more port intensive cruise.

Archived