Solo to the Mediterranean

dolfndreams

Has anyone done a solo to the Mediterranean. I ended up finding a excellent price for a balcony on Norwegian Gem for Sept 2009. I did go solo to Alaska and really loved it. However I picked my way through cruise critics before and was able to find some great local excursions that kept things small and intimate.

I guess my hesitation is even with the great price for the balcony I have to factor in airfare and there is a lot more in logistics getting from the airport to port in Barcelona.

Reading their excursions on the Norwegian site and cruise critics I haven't found the smaller tours I can join up with like in Alaska and am not quite comfortable enough to just wing it and go on my own in a country I don't speak the language this cruise is mainly in Italy except for Barcelona.

Anyone tried this? Any recommendations on good excursions/tours to try.

Any advice would help, I keep wavering on doing this versus just looking for something closer to home.

Already done the Caribbean , Alaska and am going to the Mexican Riviera and a short Bahama cruise (after a Disneyworld vacation on the Disney line with my sisters. Can you tell I'm quickly getting addicted to this:)

Now I want another cruise all on my own just to even things out:rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice,

Nan

I haven't done a solo cruise to the Med, but I did do a solo land vacation to Italy last year. It was fine. I didn't have any problems. I was in Rome and Florence, taking a train between the two. I just decided to wander around and see what I could see. Honestly, I think you'll be fine. You have to go into it with a sense of adventure. One thing I did was to be sure that I dressed not like a "tourist". I dressed a little more upscale than I usually do so that I would blend in a little better, especially in Rome. It does help to take that "tourist target" off your back and keep the hawkers away. Walk confidently, like you know where you're going, even if you don't. I felt comfortable enough to be out walking in the Pantheon neighborhood (where I was staying) and Piazza Navono until 11 at night.

... Reading their excursions on the Norwegian site and cruise critics I haven't found the smaller tours I can join up with like in Alaska and am not quite comfortable enough to just wing it and go on my own in a country I don't speak the language this cruise is mainly in Italy except for Barcelona.

Anyone tried this? Any recommendations on good excursions/tours to try...

Nan,

You might want to research our Ports of Call - Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western Forum.

Click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

You should find all sorts of tour information as well as feedback from other Cruise Critic members there. Please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature on the forum with your key word or words. You can see if your inquiry topic has already been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif

I suggest you do not try a search with too many or too common of key words at one time. This will sometimes overwhelm the search feature with too many threads to scan and it will time-out. From time to time, you may receive an error message that says "Search function is down". PLEASE TRY AGAIN in a few moments. This message will often pop up during the busiest times of the day. Also, once you type in your key word or words, click the Go button. Do not click Advanced Search. It has been disabled.

Hope this is helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I can't be of much help at the moment but I am cruising solo in Nov 08 on RCC Voyager of the Sea in the Med...

This time I have promised faithfully to post a review of my trip so will keep some of your queries in mind :)

I really am not uncomfortable with being in Italy, just wondering if the fun will justify the price and the long, long flight.

I will keep watching the Mediterranean thread on port of call and watching the trip reports and I know I'll eventually find all the info I need. I guess I'm just looking for something to push me over the edge so I am committed to it.

My biggest problem with search (other than the fact its usually down) is even knowing what to ask about as I'm less familiar with the Mediterranean than I have been my other ports. Of course I've lots of time to study up. I will keep trying it though

I would post the price, but from what I've read here you can't post any prices unless it is from the actual cruise line and unfortunately this was a internet travel agent sale, actually it really was a great rate and I haven't seen it again. Is there a way to post great prices found without getting in trouble on the boards? I've never actually found the best price from the actual cruise line site...still learning though:)

Thanks for the advice though everyone. I'll keep on reading and studying up.

Nan

I've done more European cruises than I can count and when I'm in an area where I might feel a little uncomfortable, I stick with the ship's tours. Is there any reason why you're not considering those? As a solo, you're going to need to be a little more careful in terms of security especially around the most popular tourist sites in Barcelona. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful elsewhere, but on my three stops in Barcelona, the ship talked more about safety than for any of our other stops.

You'll have a great solo cruise in the Med. I've enjoyed all of mine and I know you will also.

Actually I am considering the ship tours especially if nothing else turns up.

I know I had truly enjoyed the smaller groups when I went with the Alaska private tours and that is why I asked here. I wouldn't even have known of them had I not had Cruise Critic members go before me and they were wonderful.

I'm sure if I choose to go I will probably stay with the Ship tours but always want to be sure there isn't another option since I have no idea when I will make it back.

As long as I can see both the Sistine chapel and St. Peters I will be happy:)

Thanks for the reassurance. I hadn't even checked the Barcelona tours since it was the start and stop of the cruise, I'll look into that also.

I know it will be magnificent, thanks for the reassurance.

Nan

Hi Nan

I have cruised and visited the Med lots solo and loved every minute (ok I'm a little bit closer to it than you are!)

Barcelona is a city you can do on your own without any problem, hoho buses or the metro make things easy and walking of course. A fabulous city - I'm there again in 10 days and can't wait.

I would definitely do a ship's tour in Rome and in Florence unless you can get a tour organised on your roll call - both are quite a drive from the port.

If you are visiting Naples then again I would suggest ship's tour or one you organise on your roll call - try and visit Pompei it is just fabulous.

Have a great cruise.

Pat

Hi Nan:) One day I want to do this itinerary but its not

in the cards right now for me.

But I was going to suggest the exact same thing

as Darcie:D (great minds and all that;) ). I was

going to say try a ship's tour.

I know so many people are negative about that but

I use the ship's excursions quite often and usually

I come away feeling very good:)

I hope you have a fabulous cruise!:)

I agree, if this is your first time in Italy take the ship tours. I travel solo a lot and am comfortable travelling on bus and train independently but as it is your first time it may be easier for you to take the tours. The Europe board has a lot of information.

Having said that I agree the HOHO bus in Barcelona is very easy to do. The ship shuttle drops you off at the HOHO bus stop and then you can see what you want to see. I love Park Guell. I am going again in Nov this year and plan to use the metro this time.

I'm travelling solo in Oct to the Med. for 14 days (Venice - Barcelona). I am doing some ship's tours and I'm also doing 3 private tours. I found a small group of 5 on my roll call and they had everything planned and it was all things that I wanted to see, so they had room for one more.

I really am not uncomfortable with being in Italy, just wondering if the fun will justify the price and the long, long flight.

I will keep watching the Mediterranean thread on port of call and watching the trip reports and I know I'll eventually find all the info I need. I guess I'm just looking for something to push me over the edge so I am committed to it.

My biggest problem with search (other than the fact its usually down) is even knowing what to ask about as I'm less familiar with the Mediterranean than I have been my other ports. Of course I've lots of time to study up. I will keep trying it though

I would post the price, but from what I've read here you can't post any prices unless it is from the actual cruise line and unfortunately this was a internet travel agent sale, actually it really was a great rate and I haven't seen it again. Is there a way to post great prices found without getting in trouble on the boards? I've never actually found the best price from the actual cruise line site...still learning though:)

Thanks for the advice though everyone. I'll keep on reading and studying up.

Nan

I have done two transatlantic cruises and loved them. I do not like to fly very long distances but this was worth the time. It made it better that I only had to fly long distance one way but I would do a round trip if the price was right. At first I was very nervous about this type of cruise but after the first, I booked another a year later. I did do all the ship's excursions since I didn't really feel comfortable trying it on my own. Of all my cruises, Alaska is my favorite but these are not far behind. Have fun.

I agree, if this is your first time in Italy take the ship tours. I travel solo a lot and am comfortable travelling on bus and train independently but as it is your first time it may be easier for you to take the tours. The Europe board has a lot of information.

Having said that I agree the HOHO bus in Barcelona is very easy to do. The ship shuttle drops you off at the HOHO bus stop and then you can see what you want to see. I love Park Guell. I am going again in Nov this year and plan to use the metro this time.

Hi Maryann,

There are several HOHO bus companies in Rome as well and I used one to complete my last adventure of Rome to see stuff I may have missed while walking to almost everywhere.

The problem is, if you are on the ship for a day you must get to Rome from the port so take that into consideration. The ship Maryann and I were on ended in Rome so we had plenty of time to get transportation to Rome. Rome was great and I stayed in a B&B for the first time in my life and thought it was great for Rome. As others have said, you can do things on your own there but be confident (as said) and just be careful and don't let you guard down. BTW, the worst place for pick pockers is suppose to be the main train station and that one popular public bus (can't recall the number now). The HOHO are not public buses and they cost more so that probably keeps most of the Pick Pockers off.

• 3 months later...

I did my first solo Barcelona to Lisbon...now I confess I let the sip to the air and hotel so all I had to do was pack and travel...it was wonderful...Crystal adventures in Barcelona...I did some shopping on my own the 2nd day before the bus took me to the ship....while crusing I did a number of golf excursions and the ship excursions...one port I just went on my own walking a bit and took a cab..totally comfortable (in Las palmas the Canary Islands) but the rest I did the ship excusions.

I have booked a trip in Feb Costa Rica to Miami...I will do the ship hotel in Costa Rica but have arranged my own transportation and hotel in Miami and have yet to book an excursion...

I am getting brave

Has anyone done a solo to the Mediterranean. I ended up finding a excellent price for a balcony on Norwegian Gem for Sept 2009. I did go solo to Alaska and really loved it.

I guess my hesitation is even with the great price for the balcony I have to factor in airfare and there is a lot more in logistics getting from the airport to port in Barcelona.

Reading their excursions on the Norwegian site and cruise critics I haven't found the smaller tours I can join up with like in Alaska and am not quite comfortable enough to just wing it and go on my own in a country I don't speak the language this cruise is mainly in Italy except for Barcelona.

Any advice would help, I keep wavering on doing this versus just looking for something closer to home.

Now I want another cruise all on my own just to even things out:rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice,

Nan

Italy is wonderful. Go - you'll love it.

As far as some of your concerns, all ship announcements will be English. In Italy, you will have no problems communicating at restaurants, shops, museums, etc. They're all tourist friendly and you will always find someone working there who speaks English. You'll even find yourself picking up a little Italian in no time at all.

There are no real logistics in getting from the airport to the dock. It's a 15 minute cab ride. Write the address down on a piece of paper to give to the cab driver, you'll have no problem. If you're not comfortable with that, arrange for bus transfer with NCL.

If you stay a few days in Barcelona (and you should consider doing that, it's a great town), you will be able to get by in English.

Archived