Are one piece swimsuits too frumpy?

Octoberbride08-

I was an October bride in 1998, so 10 years is coming up soon!

You will see a huge assortment of body types and suits on-board ship. I've seen everything from 'butt floss' to almost old-timey dresses, assorted across the spectrum from tiny twigs to REALLY large ladies. One one trip, I saw a lady that went about 350lbs wearing a bikini.

The pool area is not Baywatch, by any stretch of imagination.

I'm a big gal myself (5'6", 250), and wear a one-piece to try to keep most of the ingredients inside. I'm a diver, and peeling lycra and wet suits on and off needs something underneath that is fairly stable to keep the 'girls' from oozing out. I actually prefer a sports bra and swim shorts, but haven't been able to find a pair of swim shorts that fit since my last pair dropped to bits.

Go with whatever makes you comfortable! (and making hubby happy wouldn't hurt either ;) )

Wendy

I've seen many very sexy one piece suits... I love the ones that have that hint of 40's glamour to them (often a halter neck, perhaps some ruching...)

Confidence makes you sexy! Wear what YOU feel good in.

I gather from your posting that you're in need of a swimsuit with good support up top- very much understood! I find that Victoria's Secret swimsuits have many styles available (bikini and one piece) with underwire cups. Best thing ever!

My husband says I'd look great in a bikini (bless his heart) but I know better. It is just not me.

A one piece suit can be just as sexy as a bikini, probably more so, as it leaves more to the imagination. Wear what you feel comfortable in, and take a surprise sexy nightie along just for him.

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

Well, I can tell you and your fiance that I'm a normal, 24 year old and I bring a variety of swimsuits on cruises. I bring a 1 piece, a tankini and maybe a couple bikinis. You should bring what you're comfortable in and not what "everyone else" will be wearing.

If I'm snorkeling, I'm definitely wearing a one piece. It's just more comfortable.

You may want to look into a tankini also for a slightly different style that also offers coverage.

But you'll also be fine in your one pieces.

Octoberbride08-

I was an October bride in 1998, so 10 years is coming up soon!

You will see a huge assortment of body types and suits on-board ship. I've seen everything from 'butt floss' to almost old-timey dresses, assorted across the spectrum from tiny twigs to REALLY large ladies. One one trip, I saw a lady that went about 350lbs wearing a bikini.

The pool area is not Baywatch, by any stretch of imagination.

I'm a big gal myself (5'6", 250), and wear a one-piece to try to keep most of the ingredients inside. I'm a diver, and peeling lycra and wet suits on and off needs something underneath that is fairly stable to keep the 'girls' from oozing out. I actually prefer a sports bra and swim shorts, but haven't been able to find a pair of swim shorts that fit since my last pair dropped to bits.

Go with whatever makes you comfortable! (and making hubby happy wouldn't hurt either ;) )

Wendy

Wendy,

Check Juonia (http://www.juonia.com) to see if they have some swim shorts that you like. I used to buy from them for workout tops, but they have a full clothing line with a decent selection of swimwear for those above a size 12.

Having been a teenager during the time when French-cut maillots were considered the be-all and end-all in sexiness, I've always leaned toward one-piece suits as being sexier, not frumpier, than bikinis. (Anyone remember the famous Farrah Fawcett bathing suit poster. Every guy I knew in high school had one in his locker....)

Anyway...here is a link to a fashion blog with some images of sexy one-piece suits if you keep scrolling down you'll see more....

http://blog.like.com/index.php?tag=swimwear

P.S. Tankinis are not universally flattering. I have not found one that looks good on me yet and I've probably tried on 30+ in the last 5 years......when you are built like a rectangle (e.g., bust, waist, hips not much different!) they just don't flatter.

This doesn't seem frumpy to me ..........

sc_haltsun_lg.jpg

After seeing once a young twenty soemthing woman in a string bikini who was a sz 16-18 I wished she had picked something like this. The girl could have been very attractive, even with the extra weight, unfortuantely the bikini emphasied her flaws.

To the OP, your fiance may find you sexy and want you to let it "all hang out", I understand because my hubby was that way. At age 30, I gave birth to my daughter and I went from a size 6 to a size 12. I chose NOT to wear bikinis after this weight gain, even though he wanted me to still wear bikinis. I would though, pick a nice one piece suit that showed off my cleavge, something I did not have when I was a size 6! there are some advantages to weight gain! LOL! I found that hubby was pleased, because I had picked a sexy suit!

I got that suit in a size 10 .. and I don't have much extra weight .. but it is so well made and it does have that tummy control and at 57 after two kids a little tummy control is a good thing ... no sense jiggling the places that shouldn't be jiggled...

But aside from the fact that I thought the suit had some glamour .. I love not worrying so much about that damned bikini line!!!

I got that suit in a size 10 .. and I don't have much extra weight .. but it is so well made and it does have that tummy control and at 57 after two kids a little tummy control is a good thing ... no sense jiggling the places that shouldn't be jiggled...

But aside from the fact that I thought the suit had some glamour .. I love not worrying so much about that damned bikini line!!!

I bought a two piece skirted tankini yesterday at Diliards that was becomming to a size 14 and age 54 year old woman. Although it was more attractive on me then other styles, I do believe on a gal 30 years younger then me and my size, it would actually be stunning on her! LOL!

What made me the happiest is I got this $150 suit for $40! I needed another suit. I had ruinned my favorite suit last year, going in that heavily chlorined therassy pool on the Consellation! Now I loved that pool! and if I book another crusie that has that pool, I will simply wear a cheap suit in that pool!

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

Wear what is comfortable for YOU!! If someone looks at you and thinks unkind thoughts.... that is THEIR problem!!! Be comfortable and have fun!! Your husband thinks you are beautiful.... no one else matters!!

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

Well, tell him that 24 year olds wear what they are comfortable wearing and don't pay attention to what others may choose nor do they wear something because they think they "should"......

There are plenty of women who wear one piece suits onboard......and many, many others who should.:confused:

I switched to tankinis in 2005 and have 3 that I can mix and match. I switched for comfort and ease of bath-rooming, not style. It also makes wearing your suit under clothes a lot more convenient.

This past Saturday however, I bought my first swim dress to try. (I never thought I would like one, or thought that I was old enough:D)

A brown miracle suit at an Eddie Bauer warehouse sale, reg. $178, got it for $10, didn't try it on in the group check room and my DH loves it on me.

185095772_auroraswimdress.jpg.5aad851cf9b5110e8313d2c0f1c14423.jpg

I have two great websites -- one is for large-chested women who'd still like to wear either a bikini top or a tankini top, and the other is for really cute boardshorts you can wear as a bottom or over the top of your bikini bottoms and they come in a gazillion colors and prints and three different lengths -- check it out - I bought the 5" length shorts and am buying the #604 & #701 for the tops.

Check these out:

http://www.exelnt.com for the tops and,

http://www.boardshortsworld.com for the bottoms...

I don't normally recommend any particular websites, but ladies, you really owe it to yourself to check these two out.

I think one piece suits can look much more classy than a bikini especially on those of us over 35 or so. The right swimsuit can make you look like a million and feel terrific if it fits well and is stylish. Add a few touches like sarong, sunglasses, metallic flip flops and big hat and you are ready for the cover of a magazine!

I think one-pieces are more in style this year than ever before. I especially love the Jantzen retro one-pieces, they have a great pinup girl look. They're 75% off at Dillards now too!

LOVE that!!! And yes Debathome - big hat and everything - now that's what i am going to do now hahaha. :D ;) :p

What I have always tried to do is ask myself truthfully what looks good on, and what I feel comfortable in. I do care about how I look, but I'm far from a model with needing a size 14 bathing suits. The girls, uh, take up a lot of room! :eek:

You need to feel good about what you wear. As fun as it is to please the hubs, I have a mind of my own. I wouldn't wear something just because he wants me to, nor would he expect it. Maybe he's thinking it will be a dowdy style? Why not surprise him with a sexy one piece that you feel comfortable with! ;)

Lands End has a really cool feature. You create a model by putting in your weight, height, some measurements, hair color, and hair style. You can even fine tune it with more measurements. My model came out pretty darn accurate looking. You can then proceed to try on all the suits you want and see what they will look like on you.

To find the feature, go to swimsuits and click on any, then look below the sizing chart for Try It On, My Virtual Model. For some reason it doesn't seem to come up under every suit so just try another until it does come up. That will open a window to create you model. Try it, it's lots of fun.:)

Archived