starboard side people

We have always booked portside balcony cabins and have such for our Oasis reservation. Now the info we are getting is that this ship will always dock starboard. Before we change to the other side, I was wondering about those out there who always book starboard and why. Maybe we will like being on the non-docking side for a change.

same as in real life.....left is port, right is starboard...the Fore end of the ship points UP to the top of the page....

we almost always book starboard...no reason...maybe cause I am right handed??? can't speak for behemoth--er SORRY, Oasis OTS, but, on one ship, when the Capt was asked why the port side didn't always face the dock he said they docked whichever way the-and the pilot-felt like docking that day......

THUS...sometimes we saw the pier, others we saw the water....(and frankly, sometimes the pier side is not all that interesting...)

as long as i have a balcony, and it's not under the pool or WJ, i don't care what side i am one.....you're either ON the ship or you AREN'T!!:D

We actually prefer being away from the dock, unless there is another ship alongside (which happens in some ports!) as you have more privacy! I don't like sitting on the balcony while folks on the dock are looking up and staring...the side of the ship away from the dock usually has great views and less "hubbub!" (Unless, like I mentioned, there is a ship right beside you--then you become close friends with the passengers of the other ship!)

Looking towards the front of the ship from the back:

Port is LEFT (easy way to remember 4 letters:p ) & Starboard is RIGHT...:D

Thanks Jill for explaining this!! :D I always TRY to remember but can't when the next time comes. :eek:

And you have to remember that it's when you're on the ship and looking toward fore.

We had a TA try to tell us it was the opposite because you were outside the ship looking toward the aft. We no longer use that agency--obviously not well versed in cruising!

"Looking towards the front of the ship from the back:

Port is LEFT (easy way to remember 4 letters:p ) & Starboard is RIGHT...:D "

I Like it !

When I was trying to get my boat licence this is what my dad taught me . Is there any of that red port left. He probably needed a stiff port to get me to comprehend the markers in the channel. (I only drove a ski boat and a run about)

We prefer Starboard when travelling in the South Pacific because on the return to OZ we get to watch the coast line on the last morning. Just a quirky thing we like to enjoy.

When we book our next cruise on board, between us and the LA, we always seem to book starboard side. In all our many cruises, I can't remember the last time we booked port side. Maybe it was on Disney. And, 95% of the time when we dock, we are viewing starboard, and it is always a better view from our balcony. It can be a crap shoot, depending on circumstances described above. Good luck to you.

Rick and Deirdra

"Looking towards the front of the ship from the back:

Port is LEFT (easy way to remember 4 letters:p ) & Starboard is RIGHT...:D "

I Like it !

When I was trying to get my boat licence this is what my dad taught me . Is there any of that red port left. He probably needed a stiff port to get me to comprehend the markers in the channel. (I only drove a ski boat and a run about)

We prefer Starboard when travelling in the South Pacific because on the return to OZ we get to watch the coast line on the last morning. Just a quirky thing we like to enjoy.

Did he ever mention to you, "Red, Right, Returning to port".

:D

(Unless, like I mentioned, there is a ship right beside you--then you become close friends with the passengers of the other ship!)

ah yes, but isn't it FUN to make silly faces at them.....(and try to see in the cabins to see if THEY are better than US???);)

Thanks to all for the info. I was just about decided to stick with starboard side and then I read Clarea's post that starboard seems to be the "smoking" side. Why would that be? Someone please explain. No one has ever asked me if I smoke or not when I book a cabin!

Forget that post. Smoking is severely limited on RC ships now, and has nothing to do with where your cabin is on the ship.

Archived