How long is to long for saving chairs

Canadianhey!

To be introduced on an X ship near you, 2 hours maximum sitting time, 5 minute audible warning then:

_1619856_martinbaker-seat-150.jpg

Phil

but this guy has clearly also been smoking where he should not, silly to conceal his ciggy there :D

If this were a perfect society we wouldn't have the chair hog problem but I have a hard time giving up our seats when just going for lunch at the buffet. Yes, I realize that it'll be more that 20 minutes before I get back- maybe 30 or 40 minutes at times, but relinquishing a seat means not having any seat when I return. We wouldn't think of it if we were off to another activity except lunch but I can't see any other way of doing it. Also when at the pool I sometimes spend much more than 20 minutes in the water at a time. Obviously I'm not going to give up my seat when I'm gone! There are no clear cut answers to the problem as I see it, so I guess we'll just have to hope that people will be more considerate.

"We" do not have to do anything confrontational and can address the issue with the pool staff. That is what they are there for. Want a chair that seems to have been unoccupied a little too long, reach out to the pool staff. Want to leave your chair to run to your cabin for something, let the pool staff know you will be back.

A lot of latent hostiity lurks on the pool deck if this thread is a gauge. :eek:

Finely, I do hope you are not referring to me about the "latent hostility". I made it pretty clear in my post that I DO use the attendants. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work - as is evident by the two incidents that happened to me. So while I don't go out seeking confrontation, I will not run away from it if I am faced with it. I will stand up for myself.

You also can't count on just "reaching out to the pool staff" to ensure your stuff is there when you get back. They aren't always around - they aren't just sitting there watching your chair.

I found the idea of the note on my chair to the be most civilized, and the least trouble on anyone else.

Rcacace - I'm not going to get into a debate with you, but I just wanted to point out that you are probably going to get pilloried in this thread, as what you describe is considered classic chair-hog behavior. If you leave your chair for longer than 30 minutes, it's no longer "your chair". Chairs are meant to be used, not left empty while you do other things for long periods of time. It's really not fair to the other passengers for you to leave your chair empty while you go off to eat lunch. When I'm taking a day at the pool, I'll go get some food and bring it back to my chair. If I want to go have a sit-down lunch, I do the polite thing for my fellow passengers - I take my stuff with me.

The cruise line actually has a specific rule on this - and I'm pretty sure it's 20 minutes. This is one rule that exists for the benefit of all passengers, and one I wouldn't dream of breaking. If a chair isn't being used for a long period of time, there is just no reason why it should sit there empty when there are other passengers wandering around with no place to sit.

Last March we were on the Connie and watched a gentleman and his wife sit in the sun near the pool, meanwhile they also had two chairs reserved in the shade with their personal items on them, and they would alternate between them periodically, so I moved their stuff and sat down on the chairs, when they came over and asked what happened to their stuff I told them the attendant had it. CHAIR HOGS TO THE ULTIMATE.

Last March we were on the Connie and watched a gentleman and his wife sit in the sun near the pool, meanwhile they also had two chairs reserved in the shade with their personal items on them, and they would alternate between them periodically, so I moved their stuff and sat down on the chairs, when they came over and asked what happened to their stuff I told them the attendant had it. CHAIR HOGS TO THE ULTIMATE.

I have to say, this is one of the biggest reasons my husband and I prefer a veranda cabin. We're not squished in like sardines with people attired in manners we'd rather not see, drinks are only a phone call away, and we can leave our stuff on our chairs ALL DAY LONG and it will be there when we return!

My opinion and I believe the general ship rule is you don't 'save' a chair. You use it and only leave it and leave your book/towel to enjoy the pool/hottub, hit the restroom or get a snack and immediately bring it back. I disagree with saving the chair while having lunch. I'm afraid I definite that as 'hogging' spots around the pool. You don't go to your room, socialize somewhere else or go eat breakfast or lunch. You use the chair while you are at the pool and take your towel/book when aren't staying.

The point is, the chair isn't your chair to save, it's to be used while you are at that venue and then given up when you leave, even if you plan to return- we are all going to return sooner or later.

Denny

Totally agree Denny. Funny thing is if most people did not save chairs there would always be chairs available - maybe not the ones right at the pool. That said, we only go to the pools on port days when the ship is emptly. We always get a balcony cabain and spend our afternoons on the balcony. Besides saving chairs, I do not like the crowds and noise around the pool. Not criticizing anyone - just not what we consider a relaxing cruise.

I'm a pool person...meaning, I really enjoy spending a day at the pool. I enjoy sunbathing, reading my book, and having a nice cool pool to jump into when I get hot. I usually spend less than ten minutes floating around in there...just long enough to cool off and enjoy the floating, and then I'm back to my book. I also enjoy the activity around the pool, and the people-watching. To me, this is a perfect sea day. :)

The downside of this, of course, is that I am one of the folks who can be impacted by chair hogs. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't had too many problems finding a chair further away from the pool, which is not that big a deal - it's just a bit of a further walk. But I have had to move chair-hog artifacts on more than one occasion.

And I will continue to do so.

Gee - just think how many free chairs there would be if everyone took their stuff with them when the left for more than 20 minutes. You'd always be able to find a free one when you came back!:D

Thank you C-Bunny. :) That is exactly what I was going to point out.

Simple answer:

Any inordinate amount of time.:eek:

Like laws they too have to be enforced. Otherwise people would think they are above the laws....eh...;)

Self enforcement hardly works well... look at all the perfect drivers on the highways...

:eek:

I'll say it because the one thing that bothers me about certain X loyalist elements is the pronouncement of 'class' superiority...

Of the ten cruises I've taken (only a couple on X which is an excellent mass market line IMO) far and away the most boorish inane chair hog behavior has been on X.

All big ships suffer the problem to one degree of another, but on the M-class cruises, the bahavior I experienced was the most flamboyant

I have to say, this is one of the biggest reasons my husband and I prefer a veranda cabin. We're not squished in like sardines with people attired in manners we'd rather not see, drinks are only a phone call away, and we can leave our stuff on our chairs ALL DAY LONG and it will be there when we return!

I too get a veranda but there are times you just want to go for a dip or watch the activities at the pool

Rcacace - I'm not going to get into a debate with you, but I just wanted to point out that you are probably going to get pilloried in this thread, as what you describe is considered classic chair-hog behavior. If you leave your chair for longer than 30 minutes, it's no longer "your chair". Chairs are meant to be used, not left empty while you do other things for long periods of time. It's really not fair to the other passengers for you to leave your chair empty while you go off to eat lunch. When I'm taking a day at the pool, I'll go get some food and bring it back to my chair. If I want to go have a sit-down lunch, I do the polite thing for my fellow passengers - I take my stuff with me.

The cruise line actually has a specific rule on this - and I'm pretty sure it's 20 minutes. This is one rule that exists for the benefit of all passengers, and one I wouldn't dream of breaking. If a chair isn't being used for a long period of time, there is just no reason why it should sit there empty when there are other passengers wandering around with no place to sit.

Like you say let's not get into a long debate about it because we both see it differently & neither of us will probably change our ways. The rule is only made only to let people know that they shouldn't claim the chair for the whole day & they had to come up with some time limit for an example.

1. The only time I abandon my chair for slightly more than 20-30 minutes is a lunch at the buffet. Is that so bad? I'm sure there are many more people who do likewise & I don't blame them one bit. If they're gone for bingo, lecture, shopping talk, nap yes, I agree that they should vacate the chair but not for a quick bite at the lunch buffet. (not dr lunch)

2. What about the time limit if you're in the pool? The rule surly can't apply during that activity or would you have someone just leave their stuff with the pool attendant until they're out of the water?

Finely, I do hope you are not referring to me about the "latent hostility". I made it pretty clear in my post that I DO use the attendants. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work - as is evident by the two incidents that happened to me. So while I don't go out seeking confrontation, I will not run away from it if I am faced with it. I will stand up for myself.

You also can't count on just "reaching out to the pool staff" to ensure your stuff is there when you get back. They aren't always around - they aren't just sitting there watching your chair.

I found the idea of the note on my chair to the be most civilized, and the least trouble on anyone else.

No, not pointed at you. (Are you stepping up? :D )

However I have made the observation that many seem to really want to take this battle on personally and you can see how really worked up people are getting about it, and it's not just you.

The staff makes notes, and the staff can leave a warning ticket, that's what is fair and right, no one else should interfere. I'd say most offenders and complainers would be happy to embellish timelines on either side of the equation. What's 10 minutes taking a restroom break or getting a lemonade to you is 25 minutes to someone complaining about the empty chair so they can justify the fight to win it, so the pendulum swings both ways in that war.

If one wants to mention to the staff they are stepping away, and the time is then noted by that staff person, there will be no contest if when returning to the chair someone is found in it and you have the pool staff assist in managing the process since they already have the record of your good intentions!

There is absolutely no need for anyone to have to bother with confrontaion at all, and it's kind of scary to me to see how many are just very willing to mix it up with somone else at the pool deck, and I have seen some unfortunate events occur and been made very uncomfortable by them.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to have to bother with confrontaion at all, and it's kind of scary to me to see how many are just very willing to mix it up with somone else at the pool deck, and I have seen some unfortunate events occur and been made very uncomfortable by them.

Oh I have too...my two encounters were absolutely mild compared to a few things I've seen around the pool! A couple have been somewhat uncomfortable, but several times it's been downright entertaining.

And if this thread goes on much longer, I'm going to have to post my National Cruisographic's Chair Hog Safari essay! :D

Boy, that's no kidding!!!:eek:

No amount of being "right" is worth gettin' my butt kicked by angry chairhogs who see me in one of THEIR chairs!

Like you say let's not get into a long debate about it because we both see it differently & neither of us will probably change our ways. The rule is only made only to let people know that they shouldn't claim the chair for the whole day & they had to come up with some time limit for an example.

1. The only time I abandon my chair for slightly more than 20-30 minutes is a lunch at the buffet. Is that so bad? I'm sure there are many more people who do likewise & I don't blame them one bit. If they're gone for bingo, lecture, shopping talk, nap yes, I agree that they should vacate the chair but not for a quick bite at the lunch buffet. (not dr lunch)

2. What about the time limit if you're in the pool? The rule surly can't apply during that activity or would you have someone just leave their stuff with the pool attendant until they're out of the water?

Perhaps it is. It would appear that you believe that saving a chair while you have lunch in another area of the ship is not actually saving a chair. Are you saying that the ship rules/guidelines that state that one is not to save chairs is meant to say that you can save a chair while leaving the area as long as it is for lunch or breakfast outside of the pool area? Isn't this one of the reasons that they offer lunch in the pool area for those that want to have lunch while in the pool area?

Perhaps it is. It would appear that you believe that saving a chair while you have lunch in another area of the ship is not actually saving a chair. Are you saying that the ship rules/guidelines that state that one is not to save chairs is meant to say that you can save a chair while leaving the area as long as it is for lunch or breakfast outside of the pool area? Isn't this one of the reasons that they offer lunch in the pool area for those that want to have lunch while in the pool area?

I realize that this is stretching their 20 min rule to some degree but really how many people are actually put out by it. It's not like I was leaving the chair for 1/2 the day. It's only quick lunch break. If I were ever questioned about the action (and I doubt if I ever will) it would be relatively simple to get around their hard & fast rule by getting my plate of food at the buffet coming back within the lime limit & eating at the chair. Perhaps that would appease people who consider this being a chair hog and make everyone happy.

I realize that this is stretching their 20 min rule to some degree but really how many people are actually put out by it. It's not like I was leaving the chair for 1/2 the day. It's only quick lunch break. If I were ever questioned about the action (and I doubt if I ever will) it would be relatively simple to get around their hard & fast rule by getting my plate of food at the buffet coming back within the lime limit & eating at the chair. Perhaps that would appease people who consider this being a chair hog and make everyone happy.

If anything, I think you should be more concerned about coming back to your chair after being gone for so long, and finding another warm body in it. The fact is that people are just not tolerating chair-hoggism as much as they have in the past. So if you want to keep your chair on a busy day, you probably want to make sure you are actually using it.

As for "getting around the hard and fast rule", the only hard and fast rule here is the time limit, which I firmly believe is perfectly appropriate. Bringing your lunch to your chair isn't getting around the rule - it's abiding by it. :)

The bottom line is, regardless of what you are doing, if you leave your chair for more than 30 min, you no longer can claim it. Continuing to save it beyond that time is chair-hoggism, plain and simple.

If anything, I think you should be more concerned about coming back to your chair after being gone for so long, and finding another warm body in it. The fact is that people are just not tolerating chair-hoggism as much as they have in the past. So if you want to keep your chair on a busy day, you probably want to make sure you are actually using it.

As for "getting around the hard and fast rule", the only hard and fast rule here is the time limit, which I firmly believe is perfectly appropriate. Bringing your lunch to your chair isn't getting around the rule - it's abiding by it. :)

The bottom line is, regardless of what you are doing, if you leave your chair for more than 30 min, you no longer can claim it. Continuing to save it beyond that time is chair-hoggism, plain and simple.

I suppose I could limit my lunch to the 30 minute window. One more question, upon returning to the chair, how long must I occupy it before the counter gets reset & I can leave for another 30 minutes?

I suppose I could limit my lunch to the 30 minute window. One more question, upon returning to the chair, how long must I occupy it before the counter gets reset & I can leave for another 30 minutes?

22.76 minutes. If you are there for 22.75 seconds or less, then you must add the amount of time that you were previously away from your chair to the amount of time that you will now be away from your chair. Then take the square root of pi, divide by 16%, and you'll have your answer.

See how easy that is? :D

Archived