Kusadasi Leather

There are many shops right at the port and several have leather. My recommendation is to go to each one and compare. You will see that the quality of the leather and the overall quality of the coats varies. Know ahead of time what you want to pay because it doesn't matter where they start the price from. In the end, it comes down to what you think it would cost in the states and what you will pay there.

The same applies to purses. When my wife and I were there last she bought a beautiful purse. I could show you the same purse in five other shops but it came down to the details. Some were quite a bit nicer than others.

Again, when you get off the ship, you will be amazed at how many store are just a short walk from the pier. Again, look closely at the quality and know what you want to pay.

Keith

We chatted with a couple who looked at jackets in Kusadasi. The owner brought out two jackets, named a price ($1650 I think) haggling ensued, they began to leave. Then he dropped the price to $950 for both, more haggling because they only wanted one. Then he said final price, $350 for one. They didn't really want the jacket that much. They walked out, down the street, same jacket, $200, no haggling. They had been in the first shop nearly an hour.

My details may not be completely accurate but the point is, buyer beware. Don't buy something expensive until you have looked around, then figure a price in your head you wouldn't mind paying and stick to it.

Cruise Junky-I don't know if you plan on stopping in Rhodes,but that's where my DH found his leather. He bought 2 leather jackets and because the shop was closing for the season(we were there in Dec.),we got a really good deal!

Wish I could remember the name of the shop-seems to me it's across from the main square with the fountain-a little Mom and Pop shop.

Good luck! Shelly:)

Cruise Junky-I don't know if you plan on stopping in Rhodes,but that's where my DH found his leather. He bought 2 leather jackets and because the shop was closing for the season(we were there in Dec.),we got a really good deal!

Wish I could remember the name of the shop-seems to me it's across from the main square with the fountain-a little Mom and Pop shop.

Good luck! Shelly:)

Hi we are in Rhodes, thank you! We'll be there late September though so probably not the deal that you got, but I'll check out the prices.

Tx

We went to a leather store last October in Kusadasi. We found the leather poor quality, especially compared to Florence. And the prices (even when we bargained) were not that good. Personally I would rather buy leather in Italy and Spain before Turkey.

We went to a leather store last October in Kusadasi. We found the leather poor quality, especially compared to Florence. And the prices (even when we bargained) were not that good. Personally I would rather buy leather in Italy and Spain before Turkey.

We spent a lot of time in Italy last year and went to some great leather stores, but honestly, they don't compare to the coats that my friend brought home from Kusadasi, they're amazing. I guess it depends where you look.

We spent a lot of time in Italy last year and went to some great leather stores, but honestly, they don't compare to the coats that my friend brought home from Kusadasi, they're amazing. I guess it depends where you look.

I think your friend was lucky..as other's have stated I didn't like the leather there either and most of the time it never passed what I called the smell test.Maybe you will be as lucky as your firend,but I would be very careful.

I think your friend was lucky..as other's have stated I didn't like the leather there either and most of the time it never passed what I called the smell test.Maybe you will be as lucky as your firend,but I would be very careful.

Good to know, thanks. They're off in Hawaii otherwise I'd ask them for the card of the store that they bought them in.

Good to know, thanks. They're off in Hawaii otherwise I'd ask them for the card of the store that they bought them in.

Now that I think about it..they were opening up some really nice shops right near the pier,and I can't say that I checked them out as there were not that many at the time,and I had more fun in the bazaar (that has soem pretty smelly leahter,but they have had the better stuff away who knows),and some of the other shops on the main street.It could not hurt to check out the newer shops.If you go to Cadiz again or have never been and will go they used to have some great (buttery) leather at good prices.

My husband keeps going back to a shop in Florecne called Nao ( I think),and they have some great stuff,but I thought the prices were high..IMHO.I'd Like to be in Hawaii right now:D

Cberge:

Tell me please about the smell test.

I read that a lot of places spray the merchandise so that it does smell like leather.

This is just my test you know..to me good leather should have a rich smell if it has to have one,but when the leather..belts,bags,coats etc, smell like it just died or has a really strong odor I leave it alone as generally the smell will not go away.I learned this from a leather maker in Italy.To late for one $$$ bag I bought in Sweden howver made of Italian leather and beautifully done I may add,BUT it smelled of fish oil,and I was told it would go away,and that it was put on to preserve the leather blah blah blah...guess what...it took years,but I won..I still have the bag,but it lead me to ask a lot of questions re leather,and this old guy told me to always do the smell test.Works for me.:D Funny too, as some of the leather shops I have been in watchg me and all of a sudden some better quality items appear. The fish oil actually used to be used back in the day.Not scientific,but works for me;)

I bought a beautiful suede jacket in Marmaris, Turkey five or so years ago for $125. The thing is so heavy, I only wear it when I want to show off. To get that price, I tried about a dozen leather shops and negotiated so firmly one shopkeeper claimed I damaged his health. I would expect the prices to have gone up substantially, because of the decline of the dollar, but I doubt that one could get an equivalent value anywhere in Europe. On the other hand, if value were not a consideration for me and I just wanted the highest quality without regard to price, I might look in Europe.

Our Trafalgar tour guide reommended that we visit a shop called Sultan in Kusadasi. She said she bought all of her leather coats there. My husband got a beautiful coat there and it is his favorite coat. He gets compliments on it all the time. Very worthwhile purchase for him and the leather is sooooo soft.

One of the issues regarding the "smell test", is that in some countries, animal urine is used in the curing/tanning process of the leather. I know this to be the case in Pakistan which I visited in the late 80's. From an economic/cultural standpoint, Turkey and Pakistan are probably somewhat similar. Can't really comment on Italian leather, but I would guess that this would not be a common practice in Italy.

One of the issues regarding the "smell test", is that in some countries, animal urine is used in the curing/tanning process of the leather. I know this to be the case in Pakistan which I visited in the late 80's. From an economic/cultural standpoint, Turkey and Pakistan are probably somewhat similar. Can't really comment on Italian leather, but I would guess that this would not be a common practice in Italy.

I haven't used the smell test in the past, but you can bet I will now.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I bought leather coats in Kusadasi years ago. We found similar items but lesser quality leather in Nordstrom. My wife's street length fur trimmed coat was $500 (you can tell how long ago ! ) and @ Nordstrom $1450. My leather still gets comments on the fine leather. We are returning to Kusadasi in a few weeks and look fwd to some fine shopping.

Several years ago when we visited several Scandinavian cities, my wife bought a leather jacket in Copenhagen that she still wears in the winter. Guess where it was manufactured? Turkey! My thought is that women who are good shoppers may have trouble with jewelry or rugs, but leather goods may be another thing. On our Kusadasi port call, we have planned to visit a leather wholesale center with our guide after our half-day customized tour. Value may be obvious, I'm most certain that MDW will know a good purse when she sees one.

Best in planning,

David

Has anyone had any good buys of leather coats? We had friends who bought back 3 each and they feel sooooo soft. What are the prices like?

We visited a leather specality shop and the quality and price was impressive.

I think if you are interested in high end leather the quality and deals are there. Problem with the higher end leather is that they are very "fashionable" I was looking for very high quality basic wear and all I found was the cheap stuff. If you are looking to spend a couple hundred I'm less convinced you'll get a deal you'll be happy with. If you are targeting spending 500 and higher you can get some very good deals.

Archived