Jewel E1 Cabin Deck 7 vs. Other Decks

borg1of2

I have only been on the Radiance in a JS and am looking at Jewel and was curious if the balcony's on Deck 7 E1 Cabins are really that much larger. The ship diagram shows them bigger. What is it about Deck 7 that makes the balcony's larger and are there any negatives associated with Deck 7. I am looking at the aft secsion around 7658.

Scott

AVOID THE AFT Deck 7 balconies. You will have a skating ring type obstruction in front of your balcony. The forward deck 7 balconies have a double depth balcony that looks straight down at the water. Timer went off. dinner. Maybe photos later.

Here is a photo of the deck 7 forward cabins. There are on the bottom left of the photo. There is no extra furniture, and only a half rail divider in the front, but they are a nice deep size: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/SOTS_Alaska%20089.JPG

The photo looking towards the aft is not on our website, and I can't find it. As you can see in the deck plan, the aft deck 7 balconies also have a deeper balcony, but beyond that they have this strange sort of pit structure with rails around it...even worse than the lifeboat covers. I would sort of tend to avoid them. :)

Thanks for the input. It looks like the Aft, 7658 area also has the extended balcony just like the forward. So, I don't think I'll be dealing with the skating rink overhang.

We've only done one JS. However this was kind of last minute thing and when you look at $1649 for an E1 or $4350 per person for a JS, we had to go with the lower cost. I think we'll be fine, but want to give it a try as we'll be doing a D1 Aft for our 20th Anniversary in Alaska, and this will give us a good feel of what it will be like.

The aft balconies on deck 7 are not like the forward ones. That's what I was trying to explain. Have fun on your cruise....

Here is a shot of the forward deck 7 E1 balcony on Radiance and as you said and showed in your above photo of the rear E1 you don't have as much of a cover blocking your view down towards the water.

RadE1Balcony.jpg

If you've been booking JS's, adn are going down to an E catagory, you're going to be sorry! A JS is 3x as big as an E!!! Doesn't matter where it is! An E is tiny!

An JS on Radiance class is 293 sq.ft. with a 66 sq.ft. balcony and a E1 on deck 7 with a double size balcony has 179 sq.ft. with a approximately 82 sq.ft balcony. I don't think 98 extra sq.ft (114 more inside 16 less outside on balcony) is worth $2700 extra per person. We had an forward deck 7 E1 on our last cruise and it was quite nice and not tiny. On our first RC cruise we had an inside 117 sq.ft. cabin on Empress and that was tiny.

borg10f2

We had the slightly larger E balcony on the Radiance and enjoyed it. The divider only goes half way up at the railing area so if you are at the rail – your neighbors can likely see you – and likewise. I really don’t believe any balcony is truly private and treat the situation as such anyway. I don't understand the post about a skating ring obstruction.

As for the E being tiny - it certainly is NOT. We find an E to be sufficient for 2 of us. We have absolutely no problem in ANY non suite cabin.

Some folks will tell you that you must have a JS or above and I can tell, you that with about 40 cruises, that simply is not the case. Is the extra space and larger bathroom nice – you bet!. Most cabins, especially a balcony regardless of category, are space efficient and very nice.

Enjoy

M

borg10f2

We had the slightly larger E balcony on the Radiance and enjoyed it. The divider only goes half way up at the railing area so if you are at the rail – your neighbors can likely see you – and likewise. I really don’t believe any balcony is truly private and treat the situation as such anyway. I don't understand the post about a skating ring obstruction.

As for the E being tiny - it certainly is NOT. We find an E to be sufficient for 2 of us. We have absolutely no problem in ANY non suite cabin.

Some folks will tell you that you must have a JS or above and I can tell, you that with about 40 cruises, that simply is not the case. Is the extra space and larger bathroom nice – you bet!. Most cabins, especially a balcony regardless of category, are space efficient and very nice.

Enjoy

M

I agree completely. Jeesh, we've only been in inside cabins up until now, and that is with four of us.

We have an E3 balcony booked on Jewel and are really looking forward to it.

Tiny is a relative term of course. Compared to a regular room in a hotel it IS tiny, but compared to your broom closet at home, its HUGE!.;)

AVOID THE AFT Deck 7 balconies. You will have a skating ring type obstruction in front of your balcony. The forward deck 7 balconies have a double depth balcony that looks straight down at the water. Timer went off. dinner. Maybe photos later.

We're sailing on the Jewel late November and have cabin 7038 which by the look of the deck plan is forward. Shouldn't we be worried by movement of the ship if the seas are choppy?

borg10f2

I don't understand the post about a skating ring obstruction.

M

IMO it refers to the wide cover over the lifeboats beside the E3 balconies in the center (1st photo) and the smaller cover and second outside railing beside the rear E1 balconies (2nd shot) on deck 7.

120071429EdVKBV_fs.jpg

Rad007.jpg

I've been in a deck 7 balcony over the lifeboats and when I looked out to the ocean I had a fantastic view. I also had the larger deck 7 and enjoyed that balcony too.

enjoy

M

Do you remember the cabin numbers? I'm trying to locate our cabin #7038 on exterior pictures of the ship.

OK. Let's see if I can explain this better. :D Please open the image below:http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/plhunt2/Testphotoofserenadecopy.jpg

Since I don't know how to insert an arrow....the area we are discussing is marked by the top of the "rabbit ears" on the V in the photo. This glassed in section is (I believe) the side windows of the Colony/Safari club on the Radiance class ships. If you have an aft balcony cabin on deck 7 in this section......you will have a deeper balcony. However, extending BEYOND your balcony railing is the rooftop of the glassed in section. To me, it looks more annoying than the lifeboat covers, but you can judge for yourself if you book one of these. I'm just trying to explain the difference between the forward/aft deck 7's. :)

Only the forward cabins on deck 7 have a deeper balcony and a view straight down to the water. :D (No lifeboat covers, no obstructions.

Thanks everyone for your comments and assistance. I did some googling today looking for pictures and found the images about the cover over the lifeboat, but realized the aft cabin I had would not be one of those. I looked at pictures of the aft section and didn't think the view down would be obstructed.

We decided, for different reason (closer to elevator) to move to 7534. We are really excited about the larger balcony and hope our next door neighbor chooses not to peer around the partition, but if they do I'll have to charge admission. LOL

• 5 years later...
We're sailing on the Jewel late November and have cabin 7038 which by the look of the deck plan is forward. Shouldn't we be worried by movement of the ship if the seas are choppy?

We've been in either 7040 or 7540 a total of four times on Jewel and have never been disturbed by the motion. Actually I think 7038 is a little better - I believe it has a different muster station and meets inside, but I'm not sure - the change begins with either 7038 or 7036.

We never minded the muster process until my husband began having serious lung problems and has to travel with oxygen. We tend to be rule followers, so we show up when they ask us to; then we wait and wait and wait for the slowpokes before they do the presentation and dismiss us. When it's out in the heat, it really takes a lot out of him. We may complain, but we won't quit cruising!

Enjoy the Jewel - it's our favorite ship.

Margy

Edited by Margy23
Clarify sentence