Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

Yes, the info in this thread is a little dated, but overall I think most of it is still pertinent. I will do some checking this week and next to see what new things we can add to the JaxPort experience.

FYI... I just returned from a Port Canaveral departure on the Carnival Dream, and I have to say, PC has the best embarkation/debarkation procedures that we have ever used.

Hopefully, JaxPort will take heed and if/when we get a permanent port, they can try to match or exceed the facilities and staff at PC.

jw:cool:

Hi jw, I would like to ask for advice about Jacksonville/St Aug that is pre cruise related...will you fire me an email please

jambyfire@yahoo.com

Thanks

Gary

Guys,

You have certainly provided alot of info on the Jax part of the Cruise and I have about 3 pages of notes! :)

My question is (since the posts are a bit dated), our family (me, wife and 16 year old son is going on our first cruise August 15th, 2011 and I am now working on booking the hotel. I would like to take advantage of a cruise package.

I have been looking heavily at the HIE-Blount Island, but the reviews and such are somewhat outdated. Can anyone tell me if this is a good resource for a hotel for a cruise out of Jax? Where is the best place to book this? (I looked on priceline and all, but don't see where they offer a deal on cruise packages). Should I just book through the hotel directly?

Thanks to all of you who take the time to answer questions for first time cruisers!

Tommy

P.S. my email is tominator_425@yahoo.com if you want to email your reply. It seems that I am not all that proficient at subscribing to my posts (or they are messed up). Thx!

Here's the latest fact sheet I could find on the HIE at JaxPort. You'll need to call to find out more about the cruise packages they may offer. This HIE is about 1 mile from the Cruise Terminal.

0001.gif

1 800 315 2621

JACKSONVILLE - BLOUNT ISLAND

10148 NEW BERLIN ROAD hor_div.gif JACKSONVILLE , FLORIDA32226 hor_div.gif United States

Hotel Front Desk: 904-696-3333 Hotel Fax: 904-696-5700

HOTEL FACT SHEET

Check-In/Check-Out

• Check-In Time:3:00 PM
  • Check-Out Time:12:00 PM
  • Minimum check-in age: 18
  • Late checkout available

• Closest City: JACKSONVILLE
  • Distance From Hotel: 12.0MI
  • Local time zone: GMT-04:00

Pet Policy

Service animals allowed <="" span="">

Internet Options

Rooms

• High-speed Internet Access
  • Wireless Data Connection
  • Analog Dial-up

Business Center

• Analog Dial-up
  • PC

Public Space

• Analog Dial-up
  • PC

Parking

• Number of parking spaces80
  • Well-lit, oversized parking lot. All parking is within a short distance from an entrance.

Facility

• 3 Floor(s)
  • 73 Guest Room(s)
  • 28 Single-Bedded Room(s)
  • 45 Double-Bedded Room(s)
  • 43 Non-Smoking Room(s)

Accessibility

• Service animals allowed

Credit cards

• American Express
  • Carte Blanche
  • Diners Club
  • Discover
  • Master Card
  • Visa

What's Nearby

JaxPort Cruise Terminal

• Anheuser-Bush Brewery
  • Beaches
  • Jacksonville Municipal Stadium
  • Museum of Science and History (MOSH)

Dining

• Kids Eat Free

Driving Directions:

From North of Jax or Airport area:

Take I95 South to Hiway 9A South. Exit at Hecksher Drive, hotel is on the right.

From the South or West of Jax:

Take I95 North to Hecksher Drive East, and got about 8 miles, hotel will be on the left at Hwy 9A intersection.

Here's the newest link to the Jax Cruise Terminal's Web page with almost everything you need to know to get there and board the Fascination!

http://www.jaxport.com/cruise-ferry/cruise-terminal-info

I will try to get some updated hotel information posted, but most of that info comes from other cruisers, like you!! ;);) Please post your recent experiences at the area hotels...

Thanks..

Here's a link to some updated info from the VisitJacksonville web pages. Hotel packages and other various activities.

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/search/results/af7af3c214cfd2632b186174f0a15de7/

My concern is finding an hotel that has shuttle from and to airport as well as to terminal..

also one that has a resturant either in it or close by (walking safe distance). We will be spending 2 night there before we cruise.

Thanks and I am very happy I found this thread.

My concern is finding an hotel that has shuttle from and to airport as well as to terminal..

also one that has a resturant either in it or close by (walking safe distance). We will be spending 2 night there before we cruise.

Thanks and I am very happy I found this thread.

Hi,:) there are at least a dozen hotels along "Duval Road" (which I

call "Airport Road";)...I know Fairfield Inn and Springhill

Suites both have airport shuttles. Now, I cannot say for sure they

have a shuttle to the ship but a cab should not been too expensive.

We also have a new mall near these hotels with lots of restaurants

and shops.

There is also a nice Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn (I believe they

also both have airport shuttles), Comfort Inn, Residence Inn,

Courtyard by Marriott too.......these are just a few hotels I know

are out there:)

I live here and hope you have a nice visit:)

Edited by Lois R

Here's a link to some updated info from the VisitJacksonville web pages. Hotel packages and other various activities.

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/search/results/af7af3c214cfd2632b186174f0a15de7/

Well, I did it again, posted a search link that apparently expired.

To find some of the hotels with cruise packages, go to visitijacksonville.com and then enter "cruise" in the search window. You should get a list of hotels that may offer cruise deals/packages.

There are several as Lois R said above, near the airport, and only one at the port. The HI Express is about 1 mile from the port, call them to find out more about their services.

jw

Edited by jwjax

• 3 months later...
Hi

We are flying in late at night and think we will stay close to the airport. Does anyone have any idea how much a taxi would be for two to the port?

thanks inadvance

I don't know the exact fare, but I suspect it will be around $30 from the airport area. That is based on my last taxi ride from the port to my house which is about 5 miles closer, and it ran about $25.

You may want to check into which of the airport area hotels offers shuttles to the port. There is a lot of info in this thread about which ones do and don't offer shuttles. Just search for shuttles and hotels...:)

Hi,:) there are at least a dozen hotels along "Duval Road" (which I

call "Airport Road";)...I know Fairfield Inn and Springhill

Suites both have airport shuttles. Now, I cannot say for sure they

have a shuttle to the ship but a cab should not been too expensive.

We also have a new mall near these hotels with lots of restaurants

and shops.

There is also a nice Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn (I believe they

also both have airport shuttles), Comfort Inn, Residence Inn,

Courtyard by Marriott too.......these are just a few hotels I know

are out there:)

I live here and hope you have a nice visit:)

Just spoke with Springhill Suites yesterday. Very nice people and round trip shuttle to port is $20.00 per person. Airport shuttle no charge. Person said taxi is around $25.00 each way.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hyatt Place A/P after checking out from the Jax Plaza (it was filthy).

We loved it. Great service, pickup/dropoff at the airport. We had the cruise package & were dropped off & picked up at the port. They also offer free shuttle service anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Extremely useful since there is a nice size shopping mall close by with many shops/restaurants.

Would stay there again if we're in the area.

Does anyone know how the Comfort Inn is on Airport Road. Safety, cleanliness, what is close by, etc.

I am not personally familiar with it. If you are asking about the Comfort Suites, here is a link what I found on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60805-d120138-Reviews-Comfort_Suites_Airport-Jacksonville_Florida.html

There is a shopping center very close by any Airport Road hotels, the River City Marketplace. Stores, Restaurants, and more are there. Only about a mile from anywhere on Airport Road.

It must be new, or a renamed hotel, as I have not heard about it before today. Then again, my head is mostly on the golf course these days, so I am not keeping up with the rest of the area around here as much. :)

• 1 month later...

I drove by the Jax cruise terminal last weekend and the parking lot just outside of the port has lowered their price to $5 a day. The lot is lighted and fenced in, and was jam packed with vehicles. I will try to find out the name of the place, as I didn't catch it as I went by.

Would love some recent hotel reports.

Sailing 11/26, last minute booking. I'm going to drive (the whole reason I booked was because the fare was incredibly cheap), but my cruise cousin lives another 3 hours from me, so she may fly.

If we were just driving, I was going to stay at the HIE. Cruise parking rate is about $145.

But I didn't know about the $5/day place.

If she decides to fly, maybe we'll just stay at the Hyatt Place, then park at the off-site lot.

Actually, if she decides to ride with me, we may stop farther north, finish the drive on Saturday morning, and park at the cheap lot.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether that seems like a reasonable idea?

When I sailed from Jax before, the HIE was new and wasn't offering a cruise parking package, but the regular Holiday Inn just off I-95 (airport?), which DID offer that package.

I stayed at a Hyatt Place before my last Miracle cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and really liked the hotel.

Apparently Fascination is arriving late this morning - seems they're having problems lately with high tides and being unable to get under the bridge.

This makes me think more that I'll take it easy driving down on Friday. I stayed at an HIE off I-95 at GA Rt 21 that was very nice.

But if I go on to Jax, I'm thinking the Hyatt Place. I'll check prices for all three.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by NCTribeFan

I drove by the Jax cruise terminal last weekend and the parking lot just outside of the port has lowered their price to $5 a day. The lot is lighted and fenced in, and was jam packed with vehicles. I will try to find out the name of the place, as I didn't catch it as I went by.

I found this info on the $5 parking just outside the cruise terminal gates.

CRUISE PARKING

(904) 210-3900

3500 Zoo Pkwy

Jacksonville, FL 32226

This link should take you to a map showing the location, which is at the corner of Zoo Pkwy/Heckscher Dr and August Dr. ( the cruise terminal is 1/4 mile further down August Dr)

http://jacksonville.citysearch.com/profile/map/604930472/jacksonville_fl/cruise_parking.html

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've booked at the Hyatt Place and the VIP/jaxparkandcruise yesterday. I didn't realize there was a $5/day place near the port, but it really shouldn't matter. The VIP lot is only about a mile from the hotel (if I can trust mapquest).

Anyone have any updates on either the hotel or the parking?

OK, I've booked at the Hyatt Place and the VIP/jaxparkandcruise yesterday. I didn't realize there was a $5/day place near the port, but it really shouldn't matter. The VIP lot is only about a mile from the hotel (if I can trust mapquest).

Anyone have any updates on either the hotel or the parking?

The Jax park n cruise now known as VIP pak & ride is awesome I would say are only under 15 minutes away but well worth it , when I arrived their staff got us checked in helped tagging our bags and loaded them on a big 40 passenger shuttle bus an we were on our way , when we arrived from the cruise they were waiting for us outside the terminal with their shuttle *buses ,once we got to their facility our cars were ready with they trunks open so we can put our luggage in and keys ready on the driver doors ,believe me when I say the new location is alot better than their old one they had. Again I will say it I WAS IMPRESSED with the service and location and will defintly use them again on my next cruise in March,Also I had some friends that unfortunatly parked on the small lot outside the port after I adviced them not to bcuz last time they scratch and dented my car bcuz they cram cars in their lot bcuz it's so small I e heard rumors that they even park cars outside on the sidewalk after people leave , when I parked there earlier this year, anyway I felt so bad for my friends especially when I was boarding my nice shuttle, and they were still waiting with over 60 people to be picked up while they were arguing over who was there first bcuz their shuttle vans are so small for that lot....sorry guys I warned you about them and they didn't listen"