Courtesy Hold Cancelled After One Hour Instead of 24

jratly

On the morning of Oct 6, I put a courtesy hold on the 10/12 sailing of AOS. We subsequently confirmed and paid for the reservation later that evening. The next night, I saw another good deal on a balcony cabin show up around 11PM which I put a courtesy hold on for my parents. The next morning, when I went to finalize the cabin after talking to my parents, it was gone! The email I had received stated I had 24 hours to finalize the reservation. There were now no cabins available anywhere on this cruise. I called customer service and was told that within a week of sailing, you only have ONE hour to make payment. I told them that was not what the email said and they said it was wrong. I asked to escalate the problem because she seemed to have no answer. My call was transferred to the Resolutions Desk. Long story short, after going through that office and calling the Corporate Guest Relations desk, they said they were sorry and when pressed then offered $100 OBC to my parents for a future sailing. While I can understand that there is nothing they can do on this sailing if the ship is indeed full, I was surprised at this pitiful offer for compensation when they have ruined a family cruise for their own error. Any suggestions? By the way, if any of you decide to put a courtesy hold on line within a week of sailing, be forewarned that the problem has not been corrected and you will still receive and email stating you have 24 hours to book. In fact, I was told that this is a problem that “will take a while to get worked out.” Wow. I guess as a loyal customer, we expected more from this corporation.

Wait a minute.....

You're trying to book a cruise ONE WEEK BEFORE SAILING DATE :eek: , and you think you have the right to force them into giving you a cabin that somebody else has already paid for.??????:rolleyes:

And now you want to blame RCI "they have ruined a family cruise for their own error".

It couldn't possibly be because you waited too long to make a decision.

"Any suggestions?"

Yes, I have suggestions, but you wouldn't like them, and you would probably want me to offer you compensation for "ruining your day"!

"In fact, I was told that this is a problem that “will take a while to get worked out.”

If I was RCI, I would make sure it took longer than a week.

Wait a minute.....

You're trying to book a cruise ONE WEEK BEFORE SAILING DATE :eek: , and you think you have the right to force them into giving you a cabin that somebody else has already paid for.??????:rolleyes:

And now you want to blame RCI "they have ruined a family cruise for their own error".

"Any suggestions?"

Yes, I have suggestions, but you wouldn't like them, and you would probably want me to offer you compensation for "ruining your day"!

"In fact, I was told that this is a problem that “will take a while to get worked out.”

ROTFLMAO

jc:D

I agree that they should get their emails correct, it is very annoying to be just told they are wrong. However, if it was really a family holiday, wouldn't you have booked both cabins at the same time? You can't really blame them for 'ruining a family holiday' when that doesn't seem to have been your initial intention.

Wait a minute.....

"Any suggestions?"

I don't know what post you read but it wasn't the same one I read.

In what way did the OP even suggest RCI should "force them into giving you a cabin that somebody else has already paid for"

How did the OP wait to long ? There was a room available, RCI responded

saying it's yours but pay within 24 hours. The OP was living up to their end by trying to pay within the 24 hours but RCI decided not to live

up to their end.

Plenty of people book at the last minute. RCI encourages this when

they drop the rate as the cruise approaches and rooms still need to be filled. I have friends who have just decided at the last minute to join

us on our cruise because the rates have dropped so much.

A lot of you people really seem to enjoy not only defending RCI but then

go even furher by jumping all over the person that was wronged.

This person is entitled to compensation if RCI cares about treating

customers properly. If a company wants to build customer loyalty

it has to stand by what it says.

"If I was RCI, I would make sure it took longer than a week."

Very cute comment. What did the OP do wrong ? If you were RCI

I don't think I would be sailing your cruise line again.

Very well said.

In what way did the OP even suggest RCI should "force them into giving you a cabin that somebody else has already paid for"

saying it's yours but pay within 24 hours. The OP was living up to their end by trying to pay within the 24 hours but RCI decided not to live

up to their end.

they drop the rate as the cruise approaches and rooms still need to be filled. I have friends who have just decided at the last minute to join

Thank you Mark. I was beginning to feel a bit beat up on and originally decided not to respond to those remarks. There are reasons why we waited until the week before but I didn't feel the need to justify that. I certainly didn't feel that $100 OBC was in any way compensation for what was a huge error on the part of RCI. Mistakes happen - everyone makes them and there are consequences. They did indeed look for a cabin yesterday and today in hopes that one would become available but we certainly don't expect them to take it away from another paid customer! Not sure where that idea came from. What I had hoped to get from this board was another avenue for voicing this problem with RCI or find out if anyone else has had a similar experience. I've read of customers being compensated all the time and actually expected more. In fact, nothing was originally offered except an apology. There must be a misunderstanding about the problem taking a long time to be fixed. Their customer service rep told me that these emails continue to be sent out and will be for some time with the incorrect time frame to respond on a courtesy hold. That's not just my problem - it must have been or will be a problem for others as well.

If you were just "Thinking" about it and someone came up with the cash who do you think is going to win?

Could you then explain what a COURTESY HOLD for 24 hours means.

If you entered a contract for 24 hours why does RCCL not have to honor that agreement. When things go wrong they sure quote their contracts to the offended party, you just can't say that wording is wrong and walk away.

up to their end.

I certainly agree with this post... What in the world is wrong with you people who jump all over someone who followed the rules as written! It is posters like you that need to get a life.. If you do not have something positive to say, to add, to help... then for goodness sake .. calm down and try just for once being a nice person...:)

the situation gets muddled. there is a 24 hr hold on line or a 15 minute hold on the telephone. i called a few days before the LOS sailing 09/20/2008 for a guaranteed cabin offered on line which was available for a 24 hr hold. service rep told me they could hold it for no more than 15 mins. i booked within 10 minutes and then it was no longer offered. so maybe those on a hold for 24 hrs got no cabin.

Not trying to stir the pot, but did the OP receive a "the standard e-mail" that said 24 hours? You all know the one that is automatically generated when a booking(hold) is generated? I am surprised there are holds for 24 hrs the week prior to sailing. One time I called and tried to do something simular and RCCL told me I had to pay then or they couldn't hold anything.

By the way I happened to just get off the phone about a cruise with Celebrity and they just told me that they no longer have 24 hour courtsey holds! Could Rccl be going the same why?

Anyway I am sorry to the op for this problem and I hope you get it straightened out. good luck

From what I am told, week of sailing all holds are one hour. Unfortunately the cruise lines cannot allow everyone to hold cabins week of, as nothing would be able to sell. When a hold is cancelled in one hour, it is in anticipation that the guest will likely not pay. If the guest calls back, they will usually get back their cabin if it is still there. If it isn't, it is because it has been sold.

To the original poster, I would suggest you watch to see if any cabins become available, and then insist you have your booking reinstated.

It is unfortunate that the email confirmations say 24 hours, because that is clearly not the case during week of sailing.

By the way I happened to just get off the phone about a cruise with Celebrity and they just told me that they no longer have 24 hour courtsey holds! Could Rccl be going the same why?

Anyway I am sorry to the op for this problem and I hope you get it straightened out. good luck

you can't call and get a hold, the only way you can get a 24 hour hold is on line.....(or so i was told by an RC rep)...

OP...sorry...good luck! rc's IT dept has a long way to go!

everyone else....BE NICE!!! sheesh!

I once asked about a courtesy hold and was told that I had to put a deposit down, and if I decided I did not want it anymore than I could cancel. I know it really doesn't apply to the OP, the canceling part since they are only a week out without losing money, but my point is, they wouldn't let me hold any cabins at all. The cruise I was questioning was over a year out. Just my experience.

Chris

Wait a minute.....

"Any suggestions?"

Wow...that's gotta be one of the nastiest, not to mention utterly inaccurate, posts I've seen for a while. Sheesh, what did the OP do to you? You completely misinterpreted and misrepresented what he said, and even added some things that you seem to have conjured out of thin air. The OP never said a thing about taking a cabin from someone else! That's just off the wall. Having a bad day or what?

Obviously, the cruise line made a specific, provable, undeniable error in sending an email stating that they had 24 hours. I'd be PO'd too! What if they'd actually booked air, based on the belief they had this cabin held? I can see that happening - someone might not want to pay a non-refundable fee for a cruise until they can confirm they can get a flight...and that email stated the cabin was theirs for 24 hours.

To the OP - given the current state of RCI, that's about as much as you're gonna get - and to be honest, you should be happy with that. There would have to be much more measurable harm to you beyond the fact you didn't get to take a vacation you'd just started planning. People have gotten much less for far greater injuries. But please know that I do agree that they ARE 100% in the wrong. And I'm sorry some folks on here dumped on you for absolutely no reason. :rolleyes:

up to their end.

Spot On Mark!

On the morning of Oct 6, I put a courtesy hold on the 10/12 sailing of AOS. We subsequently confirmed and paid for the reservation later that evening. The next night, I saw another good deal on a balcony cabin show up around 11PM which I put a courtesy hold on for my parents. The next morning, when I went to finalize the cabin after talking to my parents, it was gone! The email I had received stated I had 24 hours to finalize the reservation. There were now no cabins available anywhere on this cruise. I called customer service and was told that within a week of sailing, you only have ONE hour to make payment. I told them that was not what the email said and they said it was wrong. I asked to escalate the problem because she seemed to have no answer. My call was transferred to the Resolutions Desk. Long story short, after going through that office and calling the Corporate Guest Relations desk, they said they were sorry and when pressed then offered $100 OBC to my parents for a future sailing. While I can understand that there is nothing they can do on this sailing if the ship is indeed full, I was surprised at this pitiful offer for compensation when they have ruined a family cruise for their own error. Any suggestions? By the way, if any of you decide to put a courtesy hold on line within a week of sailing, be forewarned that the problem has not been corrected and you will still receive and email stating you have 24 hours to book. In fact, I was told that this is a problem that “will take a while to get worked out.” Wow. I guess as a loyal customer, we expected more from this corporation.

yes, that close to sailing 24 hour holds are not the norm, the response you got was probably generic... As for ruining your family vacation, is that really the case as you just decided to do this a day or so ago??? I think the $100 OBC was quite acceptable. I know you are disappointed, but you will still have a good time I am sure.

Nita

Not trying to stir the pot, but did the OP receive a "the standard e-mail" that said 24 hours? You all know the one that is automatically generated when a booking(hold) is generated? I am surprised there are holds for 24 hrs the week prior to sailing. One time I called and tried to do something simular and RCCL told me I had to pay then or they couldn't hold anything.

sounds like that is exactly what happened. I really think the OP is over re-acting...

Nita

you can't call and get a hold, the only way you can get a 24 hour hold is on line.....(or so i was told by an RC rep)...

OP...sorry...good luck! rc's IT dept has a long way to go!

everyone else....BE NICE!!! sheesh!

Is that a relatively new policy? I got a 24 hour hold on our cabins when I booked our June Med cruise on Independence by phone.

Archived