Camouflage

jerrytammy0721

I know that in at least a few Caribbean ports you are not allowed to wear camouflage (don't know if it's just a local custom or a law). When we visited Barbados for example, they were very specific about the fact that we could not wear camouflage off the ship. It was listed in the compass, they made constant announcements, etc. When we got down to the gangway though someone tried to leave the ship with some camouflage on and they weren't allowed to leave.

Best advice is when leaving the US leave anything camouflage at home - leave the camouflage for hunting trips.

It is plain and simply illegal i some countries. I know this is true from Barbados (It is considered the equivalent of impersonating a member of the Barbados military -- something they take quite seriously).

Being a Brit, why would anyone other than military want to wear camo, or is it a macho thing?

Camo is very popular in the USA. Especially with girls, my daughter has green camo shorts and pink camo pants. It's not as popular with the boys anymore.

Being a Brit, why would anyone other than military want to wear camo, or is it a macho thing?

I can't speak for elsewhere, but here in the southern US wearing camo is extremely popular for both males and females. And they don't confine it to the deer woods or duck blinds. To many people here, it is no different than pulling on a pair of blue jeans and a golf shirt, in fact you are more likely to see people wearing camo, than a polo type shirt.

My camo capris are just like pulling on a pair of khaki capris. They are just another pair of pants. I hope it's okay to wear them on BOARD. I was under the impression that I shouldn't wear them to port, but they are so comfy that I brought them for wearing on the ship.

2866477121_c46b3e56de.jpg

I have a camo T-shirt that has fingers on hands numbering my age. It says "I'm this many". When I wore it at Cozumel some soldiers ask me if I was military. Like, what country would have an out-of-shape, 57 year old soldier in a T-shirt with white hands printed all over the front. I had to laugh, but I explained to them that it was a birthday present. I don't take it on cruises anymore.:o

In many Carribean, countries and many other coutnries in the world it is against the law not just a local custom. do not take this law lightly, they will fine and imprison a person first and ask questions later, that is why cruise ships will not allow people to disembark wearing this type of clothing. The reason this law was put into effect is because the governments believe that insurgents and rebels wear this type of clothing therefore anyone caught wearing is assumed to be an insurgent or rebel. Leave the camouflage at home.

Thanks so much for your posts. We are also from the South and wearing camo is very common. We had purchased a camera bag with camo but we won't be taking it now or wearing any clothing with camo. We would not want to offend anyone or draw any unwanted attention to ourselves.

Archived