Celebrity will probably lose my future business

San Diego Ellie

My Dec. 5 Mercury cruise has now gone down to less than half what I paid for inside in a happy hour type sale. Even outside is only slightly more than half what I paid. Celebrity will not adjust all, will not allow rebooking without a huge pealty, and will NOT issue any onboard credit. This on top of the fact that they had $900 of my money since May, and the rest at final payment date. My TA was on the phone with Celebrity and Celebrity supervisors for a long time today, to sympathetic listeners, but no result. Celebrity is penalizing their loyal base, and not everyone will stand for it. I will probably cancel the May Alaska cruise I have booked with them, and in the future, will only consider Celebrity cruises within a 60 day prior to sailing period if a great bargain, and if I miss out, so be it. Princess and Carnival have much more liberal policies, and also allow me to combine stockholder credit and other onboard credit. In this bad economy, RCCL is making a huge mistake.

My Dec. 5 Mercury cruise has now gone down to less than half what I paid for inside in a happy hour type sale. Even outside is only slightly more than half what I paid. Celebrity will not adjust all, will not allow rebooking without a huge pealty, and will NOT issue any onboard credit. This on top of the fact that they had $900 of my money since May, and the rest at final payment date. My TA was on the phone with Celebrity and Celebrity supervisors for a long time today, to sympathetic listeners, but no result. Celebrity is penalizing their loyal base, and not everyone will stand for it. I will probably cancel the May Alaska cruise I have booked with them, and in the future, will only consider Celebrity cruises within a 60 day prior to sailing period if a great bargain, and if I miss out, so be it. Princess and Carnival have much more liberal policies, and also allow me to combine stockholder credit and other onboard credit. In this bad economy, RCCL is making a huge mistake.

.....and if the economy boomed.....and the cruise fares went up......and Celebrity sent you a bill for the extra fare to equate your fare with the late commers.....you'd sent them a check for the increase......right....;)

Maybe Celebrity should follow Crystal's lead...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=859734

Crystal Assurance Plan Offers Risk-Free Return On Investment

Line's Reputation for Excellence is Augmented by New Deposit, Cancellation Plans

LOS ANGELES, October 14, 2008 - As savvy travelers continue to seek secure return on their investments, Crystal Cruises is introducing a collection of incentives to support its commitment to its guests' satisfaction. In combination with its existing price guarantee, the line is reducing cruise fare deposits and cancellation periods.

"Crystal is pairing its consistent delivery of incomparable vacation experiences with a program that showcases just how secure an investment the Crystal Experience is," said Bill Smith, senior vice president of sales and marketing. "Luxury cruisers recognize the value of selecting a line whose performance is tried-and-true, to ensure they're getting the best from the best."

Guarantees and booking and savings incentives include:

Price Guarantee - Crystal will continue to protect guests by giving them the best applicable fare offered by Crystal Cruises even after they've booked;

Cruise Deposit - Reduced cruise deposit from 10% to 5% for all 2009 itineraries except the Full World Cruise;

Cancellation Period Reduction - Formerly a 75 day restriction, guests can now cancel their cruise up to 45 days prior to sailing without penalty;

Extended Options - Guests now have an increased period from three to seven days before a deposit is required;

2010 World Cruise Deposit Reduction - Deposits for the 2010 World Cruise have been reduced from 20% to $1,000 or $1,500, depending on stateroom selected;

Here... why don't you go lament with these guys who have the same complaint. What's new. Cruise lines have last minute sales just like any other retailer with a perishable product.

This one's from NCL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=856806

This one's also from X

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=856344

JLC@SD - I could not agree more. That's just the way the game is played!! You book early - good for you! Celebrity still needs to fill the ship, so they drop the fares. If you're willing to wait until the last minute and take whatever cabins are available, then do so! You just might get a better price. You can't complain about it, it's pointless!

What am I missing here? Celebrity has always adjusted the price of our cruise if it goes down prior to sailing. Could it have something to do with the "happy hour" sale price you got in under? I wasn't aware that they had changed the rules.

We book well in advance for most all cruises. And, we're bargain hunters. We've cruised enough that we know when a certain cruise/ship/cabin category.

IMHO, all of the lines are feeling a pinch right now just like many of us. They are doing everything they can to stay afloat:) If economic times were different you may have received a different response. Then again, if times were different you may not have seen the huge last minute discount that you did.

Just my perspective.

Charlie

It's unreal how people think they deserve EVERYTHING..It's all about "me..me..me"..You can't even go one thread without seeing another complaint lately on CC. I would be amazed if they even enjoyed being on a cruise since there so wrapped up about surcharges, OBC and I didn't get this or didn't get that.

It's unreal how people think they deserve EVERYTHING..It's all about "me..me..me"..You can't even go one thread without seeing another complaint lately on CC. I would be amazed if they even enjoyed being on a cruise since there so wrapped up about surcharges, OBC and I didn't get this or didn't get that.

OP's facts would irritate the 'reasonable passenger'. The line isn't treating its loyal core passenger group with any economic consideration. It partly the numbers of cabins being offered (a significant percent) at such huge discount.

To the those that say, 'if the fares went up, you'd be happy to pay more [eyeroll]'; of course not - after all the line has been using these early booker's money to finance operations for the better part of a year or more. The price 'lock' is merely use of your money compensation.

To not offer up something (some modest OBC) to take away the sting when they start 'giving away the ship' en masse is simply poor business strategy.

To say that a line loyalist funding operations with long term bookings wants 'something for nothing...me me me' (something like roughly - even very roughly - comparable treatment to Johnny Come Lately(s) is just snarky.

OP's facts would irritate the 'reasonable passenger'. The line isn't treating its loyal core passenger group with any economic consideration. It partly the numbers of cabins being offered (a significant percent) at such huge discount.

To the those that say, 'if the fares went up, you'd be happy to pay more [eyeroll]'; of course not - after all the line has been using these early booker's money to finance operations for the better part of a year or more. The price 'lock' is merely use of your money compensation.

To not offer up something (some modest OBC) to take away the sting when they start 'giving away the ship' en masse is simply poor business strategy.

To say that a line loyalist funding operations with long term bookings wants 'something for nothing...me me me' (something like roughly - even very roughly - comparable treatment to Johnny Come Lately(s) is just snarky.

So just because someone decided to book a ways out and now they are having a sale they should be entitled to those special prices?? Give me a break. If you want a specific cabin, a specific ship or have your heart set on a cruise you want to do then book early and deal with the price you paid. If you want to get on board at a sale price then take your chances and wait. You can't have the best of both as some think they deserve.

I could not disagree more. The reasons that most pax book early include taking advantage of the early booking discount while ensuring that they are on the cruise that they want and that they are in the cabin that they want.

Certainly the cruise line has use of your deposit money; in the current interest environment, it really has virtually no bearing. The purpose of the deposit is much more geared to having customers make a commitment than for the cruise line to earn interest.

I also believe that there is enough information available that the cost concious consumer should know that the weeks leading up to Christmas are traditionaly slow times for cuises, and that most years there are deals to be had. The trade-off is that there is not the same selection available at the last minute, cruise or cabin, and many (most) people can not alter their work schedule or other commitments quickly enough. There is also less oppourtunity to find an airfare bargain.

I guess I believe if we buy a cruise early, and are happy with the decision and price, I am not going to begrudge someone else's good fortune. I have been on both sides of the coin, and can honestly say that there are advantages and disadvantages to both options.

Ken

There is some validity to the nay sayers position. Great validity in a 'normal business environment'; but this isn't a normal business environment (I think we can all agree on that).

With very atypical abberant price disparities present, the line has made a business decision to disregard the position of the long term booked passengers. Does this make business sense? Absolutely... but only in the short term. It sends a powerful negative long term message to a very valuable customer group. This customer group has future booking options.

It is evident that the OP and many similarly situated will be exersizing those options. It seems to me that goodwill far in excess of say $100 OBC would be preserved by an initiative like that. No body - even the OP - has demanded price parity, just consideration in an unusual situation.

But X has sent their message, OP and others are now aware of more consumer friendly policies on other lines, and they'll consider that (together with the bitter after taste of X' policy) when making their future cruiseline selections. That doesn't make OP wrong nor X right.

IMHO, Celebrity could have upgraded passengers who have made their deposits well ahead of time and then put those cabins in the fire sale! They already have their full price for the cabin, now they can resell those at the FIRE sale! Give the LOYAL cruiser a break, some would change cabins, others wouldn't, BUT a choice would have been nice. Nancie:cool:

I think people are bothered by this because it is a change,

RCI/Celebrity typically for many years has usually pretty much done a low price guarantee. Occasionally they have had a few sailing get the last minute flash. This year almost all of Celebritys sailings have had to do a last minute sail, leaving the folks used to the previous policy of adjusting their early price out in the cold compared to how they were used to being treated. So most of us see this as a change to how early bookers are treated.

So yes if you want to cruise Celebrity on a particular itinary in a particular cabin book early, otherwise keep your money in your pocket and wait. I know I booked for next Oct with the usual unofficial assurance that if the price drops I would get the price drops. I will be cancelling very soon and wait till later to rebook if at all.

fyi Carnival did honor the price drop for my 5 day cruise in Dec. Upgraded the cabin and OBC for about a 15% value.

JMHO

I'm surprised at what I'm hearing. We are booked on the Solstice Maiden Voyage. The price went down & I just got my credit card statement that showed Celebrity adjusted our charge by $190.00. I saw the price difference on the website, called my TA, all done. We have always gotten an adjustment if it goes down.

I'm surprised at what I'm hearing. We are booked on the Solstice Maiden Voyage. The price went down & I just got my credit card statement that showed Celebrity adjusted our charge by $190.00. I saw the price difference on the website, called my TA, all done. We have always gotten an adjustment if it goes down.

That's good! So if after always getting the reduction in the past, if you did not get it this time, What would you have thought? I think that is what is going on that many who normally get a reduction are not. And I think part of it is that their prices reduced by 50% i.e. probably more than $190.

Am glad they did you right.

If I didn't get it, I probably would have been okay. That's kind of the way it is with all businesses now. I know that because we are CC Elite didn't matter because our friends going with us got a credit as well & they aren't Elite yet.

I believe the new super discounts announced are for "new bookings" only. The Solstice wasn't part of this sale. Your reduction, like mine, is available to all bookings as it has been in the past when the price goes down.

IMHO, Celebrity could have upgraded passengers who have made their deposits well ahead of time and then put those cabins in the fire sale! They already have their full price for the cabin, now they can resell those at the FIRE sale! Give the LOYAL cruiser a break, some would change cabins, others wouldn't, BUT a choice would have been nice. Nancie:cool:

I think you have a great idea! It would make LOYAL cruisers very happy and it would allow X to sell the less expensive cabins at deep discounts. This is what X did years ago.

Cruises after thanksgiving and before the actual holiday cruises are always the lowest prices of any other time of year. This is the one time when it always pays to book late. The best cabins are even available within 60 to 90 days of sailing for these cruises.

This is the only time of the season that I hold off and wait to shop..

Same thing with all inclusive land based vacations.

Just a thought here. Airline prices are adjusted daily and change depending on demand. If you purchased airfare 6 mos ago and find it today for half the price, you wouldn't get it lowered either.

It is interesting to read all the various responses to what happened to me. In answer to the immediate previous poster, the airlines WOULD allow you to rebook, with a penalty, either $100 or $150 per ticket as I understand, depending on airline. I would gladly have paid $100 or $150 each to have rebooked my cabin on this Celebrity Mercury cruise at the new prices.

I will see what the present policy is on CCL (particularly Princess which I very much enjoy), and will probably concentrate on them in the future. One of the posters suggested that Celebrity ought to have given us a kind of "goodwill" OB credit, and that is true. Even $100 each OBC would have made us feel that a gesture was made in the right direction.

Thank you all for your responses.

There's a business opportunity here.

Somebody should start offering "price insurance." Cruisers buy the insurance and if the price goes down, the insurer pays you the difference.

Now if only I could figure out the premium(s) to charge ...

:confused:

Just a thought here. Airline prices are adjusted daily and change depending on demand. If you purchased airfare 6 mos ago and find it today for half the price, you wouldn't get it lowered either.

NOT true! I don't know why this myth keeps being perpetuated! I have had 2 occasions booking with Delta where the fares went DOWN and I received a CREDIT for the difference. I just think most people either a) don't look or b) feel like there's nothing they can do so they don't ask.

In all the hullaballoo about these fire sales, this has been quoted often and is a ridiculous defense of Celebrity's consumer un-friendly policies.

I'm sorry, but I have just had it up to HERE with Celebrity apologists saying they are doing everything right and there is no reason anyone should be upset because someone else got a better deal. That is not the point at ALL! Oh, forget it, why do I even bother.

I totally agree. I don't mind the fire sale as such. I do mind not having the option to upgrade categories at a nominal rate. In the past, upgrades were available at the pier for a real savings if the ship was not full. I will continue to sail with Celebrity because I like their product. I will however change my booking habits to take advantage of the way Celebrity will give the best rates to people who have the most patience. We have already cancelled 6 bookings in hope of better prices available for future sailings. It's not the sale that bothers me. It's the feeling of having made a bad investment and I've had lots of those lately.

From a business perspective if a ship had 100 cabins that they sell for $1000 a cabin the total revenue would be 100 *$1000=$100,000. If they sell only 80 cabins the revenue is $80K. They could sail with 20 empty cabins or try to sale the 20 cabins at a 50% discount at 20 *$500 = $ 10K. That would total 80 @$1000 plu 20 @ $500 for a total of $90K revenue. Of couse this is a last minute new booking fire sale. If they reduced eveyone to $500 like is being suggested the total revenue would be only $50K, so they would be better off just leaving the 20 cabins empty instead of reducing everyone's rate. If the company does not try to maximize their revenue the overall costs for everyone goes up or the company has to shutdown.

What would you do if if was your ship? I certainly would not reduce everyone's rate. It would not really be fair to reduce only the ones that complain and ask for it. If the policy of a last minute fire sale after final payment was offensive enough to a lot of loyal customers, I would sail with empty cabins. Then of course, I might upgrade some people if that was the option.

Worrying about what other people get is a no win situation for a business.

IMHO

Archived