Regent Seven Seas to Stop Operating Paul Gauguin

Goldryder

She could be put into FP from December till May to keep the RSSC presence. Then move her to Europe for the summer. Star Clipper has done this type of repositioning and now has a ship there.

I think the Navigator could be an acceptable fill in until such time as RSSC could either lease an acceptable ship or build a new one.

As for doing FP...I'd sail Star Clipper before I would do Princess, its no luxury product, but the idea of a sailing ship fits the region in a unique way.

Really enjoy the Navigator being where she is -- especially during the months when the Voyager and Mariner are going around the world (sometimes stopping in the Tahiti).

Perhaps Regent just does not want to compete in that area any longer. With SS being there (a good alternative), Princess, etc. there may not be a need for another luxury ship in that area.

We have been to FP four times -- the last time on the PG (loved it). The area is becoming so crowded -- overrun with huge resorts... if we wanted to return, we'd definitely book SS.

As most of us who have cruised several times on the PG know, she was specifically designed for the waters of Polynesia. She has a shallow draft and a relatively flat bottom so she can go through the "shallows" and anchor inside the reefs that surround most (but not all) islands there. As a result, the PG is not designed to handle rough seas at all. These are rare in Polynesia, but the few times the PG has hit fairly rough water, the ride is very rough. As a result, she just isn't suitable for cruising in most other areas.

I recall when GCT first bought the PG, there was an announcement that GCT planned to cruise her around the South American "horn". Never happened, and it would have been a joke, as the waters there are among the roughest on earth! The fact that this was even contemplated by GCT was a reflection of GCT's total ignorance of cruising and ships.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the PG after the first of '10 -- something nobody knows. It will also be interesting to see how (and whether) Regent equips itself to continue Polynesian itineraries.

Richard, as Wendy points out and as reported on the other board, the PG

will be staying in FP but under different manangement (beginning in 2010) than Regent. As Ngaire pointed out a former Regent VP who knows the PG will run the PG for this mgmt company.

Colonel Wes is correct. A VP who used to be with Regent and now is involved with the PG is coming to see me in early November to discuss the future of the PG. So if have more news that may be helpful I will post after that meeting.

Paul Gauguin holds 2010 rates for limited time

21/10/2008

Paul Gauguin Shipping Ltd. announced 2010 itineraries and said it will hold rates at 2009 prices for bookings made by Dec. 31, 2008.

The Paul Gauguin in 2010 will again operate its signature seven-night cruises to the Society Islands plus a range of longer cruises throughout the South Pacific. The seven-night cruises operate year-round and depart from Papeete to Raiatea, Taha’a, Bora Bora and Moorea.

In addition to the Society Island itineraries, the ship will sail several nine- to 17-night cruises to Fiji, Tonga, New Caledonia, Australia, Cook Islands, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Australs and the Society Islands.

Thanks for the info Canadagal...where are the 2010 sailings found?

I read this article this morning and it says that reservation information will be released shortly.

Pat

Paul Gauguin to stay in Tahiti after leaving Regent Seven Seas

(Tahitipresse) - Next year will be a farewell season for the 332-passenger Paul Gauguin as a Regent Seven Seas Cruises ship, but the vessel will remain based in Tahiti for its 12th year in 2010, according to an official informed source.

The Paul Gauguin, which celebrated its 10th anniversary of cruising in French Polynesia waters on Jan. 15, will be operated from its Papeete Harbor base by its Boston-based owners, Paul Gauguin Shipping Ltd., starting in January 2010, the source told Tahitipresse on Friday.

The ship's farewell season as part of the Regent Seven Seas Cruises (RSSC) fleet was announced on Oct. 23 by Travel Agent Central, the official Internet Web site for Travel Agent, which provides multimedia intelligence for travel professionals.

The article making the announcement, quoted Mark Conroy, RSSC president, as saying, "We are extremely proud of the incredible product we created in French Polynesia. For more than 10 years, the magical and unique qualities of the Regent Tahiti experience have provided countless indelible memories for discerning travelers of all ages.

"As we look to the future and consider our position as the leader in the luxury cruise segment, we have chose to focus on the all-suite ships that are the core of four fleet, which are undergoing a $40 million refurbishment project beginning December 2008."

The Paul Gauguin will be outfitted with new upholstery and carpeting and 26 added private balconies to existing staterooms, Travel Agent Central reported. This will occur during the ship's scheduled 12-day dry dock in Australia in January.

"Special offers for remaining Regent Tahiti sailings in 2009 are available on select sailings, including free airfare from Los Angeles, third guest sailing free, category upgrades, inclusive hotel packages and Seven Seas Society savings," the Web site article reported.

Paul Gauguin Shipping Ltd., a holding company controlled by Boston brothers Alan and Hank Lewis, will soon announce reservations and sales information for the Paul Gauguin for January 2010 cruises in French Polynesia and the South Pacific, Travel Agent Central reported. The Lewis brothers also separately own Grand Circle Corporation and Vantage Deluxe World Travel.

The Paul Gauguin was built at the Chantier de l'Atlantique de Saint Nazaire in France. Its owner, a French transport company, took delivery of the vessel in the fall of 1997. The ship was baptized at Fort Lauderdale, Fla., with the presence of Maria Gauguin, the great-granddaughter of the famous French painter the vessel is named after.

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises began operating the Paul Gauguin's schedule of inter-island cruises in French Polynesia. It became Regent Seven Seas, a part of the Carlson Group in Minneapolis. Carlson later sold Regent to Apollo Management, the owner of Prestige Cruise Holdings.

The Paul Gauguin is one of Regent Seven Seas' fleet of four small to mid-size luxury cruise ships.

The Jan. 15 celebration of the ship's 10th anniversary in Papeete Harbor, complete with a 10-minute fireworks display, was the second anniversary celebration for the ship. The first occurred a week earlier at Hiva Oa in the Marquesas Islands as part of an 11-night "President's Cruise". The ship was welcomed at sea by a traditional sailing canoe.

The Paul Gauguin is due to leave Papeete for Brisbane, Australia, on a 17-night cruise before going into dry dock. It will leave Brisbane on Feb. 5 for a 17-night cruise back to Tahiti.

There will be eight seven-, 10-, 11- and 14-night cruise departures from June 6 through Aug. 22 being featuring Jean-Michel Cousteau's "ambassadors of the environment youth program". There also will be nine-night Cousteau cruises leaving Papeete on Dec. 19 and Dec. 28, according to the RSSC Internet Web site.

This will be our first cruise on PG, and from what I've heard from all of you 'veterans' I am more excited about this cruise than any other (ok, except our honeymoon on Song of America in '84!)

I was curious to see what other information was out there and found this link http://goldringtravel.blogspot.com/2008/10/paul-gauguin-future.html

The poster there says that he has spoken to "Roy Grimsland, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Paul Gauguin Shipping Limited, the owner and soon to be exclusive operator of the Paul Gauguin"

Apparently, from his site, "the plan seems to be to keep everything that works and to keep the staff as well. So, the liquor inclusive policy, Ambassadors of the Environment, scuba program, etc. are all anticipated to remain in place. Similarly, the idea appears to be to keep the present staff on the ship."

Let's hope so! I'm already certain that we'll want to go back and I'd hate to see them mess with what by all accounts is already a very good thing!!!

Although it would be nice to think that everything will be the same, the takeover of the PG is over a year away. . . a lot has to be worked out before it happens. Travel agents do get what they perceive to be "insider information". . . however, the information is from one individual -- not the corporation that owns the PG. The same "blog" that you quote has stated that Regent will probably cut back on the upgrades of the Voyager and Mariner. The drydock is only a few weeks away and I seriously doubt if any major cutbacks will be forthcoming.

If someone wants the Regent experience on the PG, they have until December 31, 2009 to get it.

I think I pretty well agree with you Travelcat. The new 2010 Paul Gauguin product may be very nice, and I will be looking forward to hearing reports of how it goes, but...

Having been on the PG in mid-2005 and hearing about the fights that were going on between ownership and management (Grand Circle versus Regent) over things like daily food budget per passenger, I am skeptical.

Archived