Regent Seven Seas to Stop Operating Paul Gauguin

Goldryder

This isn't a surprise as it was announced on our May cruise by Regent executives. We had been hoping that the rumor about Regent purchasing the ship was correct. As soon as I heard that it was going into drydock for a 5 million dollar refurbishment I knew it was on it's way out. Had Regent purchased it, they would have done a complete refurbishment at a cost of at least 15 million (as they are doing with the Voyager and Mariner).

It wouldn't surprise me if it stayed in French Polynesia. What is doubtful is that it will remain a "almost" luxury all-inclusive:mad:

To me, this is really sad news.:( So glad that we booked a long voyage with them. We may now have to try to edge one more in before the complete changeover. Agree with Travelcat2 that the "almost luxury all inclusive" may be a thing of the past. Just glad to have experienced her under Regent. Cannot wrap my mind around Princess at this point. Been there and do not like that. We cannot goback to signing chits. But this is just my opinion, and does not reflect on anyone else. I feel the Regent product is great, so move over Voyager, Mariner, and Navigator. Here we come!

Oh boy Vaitape, yes indeed! I'm just hoping that the staff will not be too bummed out this December. When I was on in June 2005, morale was at rock bottom with the takeover and wrangling about costs. I suspect it will be fine for a while, but wonder what this will do to bookings in 2009, since morale is bound to descend.

Yes Wendy.....we were on in 2005 too when they got word that things were changing and that jobs were in jeopardy.... We of course received the usual wonderful, personal, fun service but staff were obviously concerned. Just can't get my head around a ship any bigger than the PG in FP......and certainly don't want to go back to signing chits. Oh well, we are lucky that we are able to return this year and will be sad to think that this will be the last time for us.

See you in December Wendy........!

Wendy, I was thinking exactly the same. I was a fan of the Windstar line until it was sold, and the same thing happened. Morale was very low, as many staff did not know what their fates would be. There was also a bit of confusion as to how situations were to be handled based on whether it was done with the old owners style or the new owners. The transition was not very kind, and actually the line lost a lot of their faithful as can be seen on their boards. It seems to be getting better, but transitions in management take time as we know.

I have heard this same rumor every few years since the first time we booked on the PG. On every occasion, we too have jumped on the "I'd better book another sailing for next year 'cuz it's going to be the last" bandwagon. Each and EVERY time, amazingly enough, there has been a last minute agreement between RSSC and GC.

Don't get me wrong, if I am REALLY convinced that she is no longer going to be managed by RSSC, I will mortgage the farm to do JUST ONE MORE sailing. BUT, as for now...I don't believe it.:confused:

This does sound like what has happened in previous years. However, Grand Circle Travel (owners of the PG) was sold to Court Square Capital Partners in the first quarter of 2008. So, the scenario is quite different this time as Regent was no longer negotiating with GCT. It does sound like the prices will be going up (based on the upcoming refurbishment and addition of balcony suites). The ship is so small that it could fill up fairly quickly for 2009.

Regent has additional competition now also with Silversea's Prince Albert II about to do Tahiti when it finishes South America. Will be interesting to see how Silversea does in that market.

The Crystal Serenity visits too, but she's too big...I prefer the PG.

The strange thing about this is that the PG's flat, shallow hull makes here suitable to cruise few places in the world, except Polynesia. The PG and the entire experience associated with her has been a huge marketing success. People taken her time and again, even on the same itinerary. The PG has served as an "introduction to Regent" for many of us.

I hope that the free market will work this time, and Regent or some other comparable line will see the opportunity in the PG's itinerary and mode of operation, so that when she is gone, she will be replaced with something VERY similar.

I have heard this same rumor every few years since the first time we booked on the PG. On every occasion, we too have jumped on the "I'd better book another sailing for next year 'cuz it's going to be the last" bandwagon. Each and EVERY time, amazingly enough, there has been a last minute agreement between RSSC and GC.

Don't get me wrong, if I am REALLY convinced that she is no longer going to be managed by RSSC, I will mortgage the farm to do JUST ONE MORE sailing. BUT, as for now...I don't believe it.:confused:

I suggest you believe it and squeeze in your one last trip!

It is true..

Jancruz1

Just received!

Paul Gauguin to leave RSSC fleet in January 2010

Today we are announcing that the 332-guest Paul Gauguin will depart the RSSC fleet in January 2010 upon completion of our management agreement with Paul Gauguin Shipping Limited (PGSL), the owners of the vessel. Our last sailing will be the December 28, 2009 - January 6, 2010 cruise.

We are extremely proud of the success we have had in French Polynesia for more than ten years, and there is no doubt that much of this is due to your continued effort in choosing us for your clients' sailings. As we look to the future and consider our position as the leader in the luxury cruise segment, we have chosen to focus on the all-suite ships in our fleet, which are undergoing a $40 million dollar refurbishment project beginning December 2008.

We look forward to celebrating one last year on the Paul Gauguin in 2009, bringing more than 10,000 guests to Tahiti and providing them with the same luxury experience and six-star service levels that have won RSSC countless awards. This is the perfect time for your clients to experience Tahiti with RSSC. For the final year under the Regent flag, our guests will benefit from a scheduled 12-day dry-dock in January 2009, when the ship will receive technical and cosmetic upgrades and the addition of 26 private balconies to existing staterooms. In addition, we have protected any guests that are currently booked in these Category D staterooms, ensuring they will not pay any additional money for their new balcony.

We are proud to present special offers for our remaining Regent Tahiti sailings. On select voyages, your clients can still take advantage of Free Air from Los Angeles, third guest sailing free, category upgrades, inclusive hotel packages, Seven Seas Society savings and more. For more information or to book your client's Regent Tahiti sailing, please contact RSSC Reservations at 800-285-1835.

We look forward to welcoming your clients back again and we thank you for your continued support.

Kindest regards,

Mark Conroy

President, Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Regent Seven Seas Cruises | 1000 Corporate Drive, Suite 500, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33334 | Call RSSC at 866.225.5010

Unsubscribe from the Regent Seven Seas Cruises newsletter.

Sounds like TA's were the last to know:confused: As mentioned previously, Regent announced it in May on the Mariner. It's still questionable as to whether next years cruises will have the same negativity from staff as there was in 2005. Hope passengers in 2009 will have a positive experience.

Having experienced that negativity in 2005, I can't imagine it's going to be unalloyed bliss next year. But it will still be pretty nice. The staff will have a certain sadness as the year progresses, but at least they have certainty, whereas before there was strife and doubt.

Well it sounds pretty official now, with Mark Conroy mailing people to announce this. It's also apparently certain that the owners will keep the ship in FP, and operate it with help from a former Regent employee. So perhaps the product will continue to be nice, and some of the great staff on board may continue to have jobs--let's hope so. I'll see what I can find out in December, there will be bound to be lots of rumours floating around amongst the staff.

Archived