Money Belt Question

Can you go through airline security with a neck or waist money belt in place or does the zipper set off the alarm?

Thanks

Most metal detectors are not sensitive to zippers--otherwise anyone with pants or jackets would not be able to get through!

Can you go through airline security with a neck or waist money belt in place or does the zipper set off the alarm?

Thanks

Had no issues this summer with either the belt kind or the over the neck one.

Depends on the type. The type I wear is all soft fabric, with a plastic (not metal) snap connector, and a small metal zipper. It was no problem at all. If it has a larger metal buckle you might want to take it off.

You can wear one through the metal detectors. However when I was selected for a special pat down, I thought it prudent to alert them that I was wearing one. Didn't need anyone thinking I was wearing a bomb! :eek: They had no problems with it at all.

I was selected for that wand (?) check in US. The security person couldn't find what was making it go off. When I tried to show her a hidden zipper, she brusquelly signalled for me to keep my arms straight out from my sides. If there is a next time, I'll let them find it themselves.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll get to experience the "wand" as this will be my first time through security with my new "knee". I don't want to leave my purse with a large sum of money unattended during this process as I'm sure it will go through the scanner and have to wait on me. I think I'll go with the money belt and thanks for the warning about a plastic buckle.

My husband was wearing one when we made our connection in Amsterdam earlier this month. He completely forgot that he had it on - until he went through the metal detector. Security there takes their job seriously. Two armed officers approached him and told him to drop his pants right there in front of everyone! Then they wanted to know how much money each of us was carrying. I do all the vacation planning so he didn't have any idea how much money he had and had to ask me. Even so, they counted it all. Very embarassing to say the least. That's a mistake he won't be making again anytime soon.

2P.P1

My husband was wearing one when we made our connection in Amsterdam earlier this month. He completely forgot that he had it on - until he went through the metal detector. Security there takes their job seriously. Two armed officers approached him and told him to drop his pants right there in front of everyone! Then they wanted to know how much money each of us was carrying. I do all the vacation planning so he didn't have any idea how much money he had and had to ask me. Even so, they counted it all. Very embarassing to say the least. That's a mistake he won't be making again anytime soon.

2P.P1

There must have been a reason for the money belt to set off the metal detector. Were there a lot of coins in there? Large metal buckles?

To avoid this in the future, you should not carry large amounts of coins (either in a pocket, or a money belt). And your money belt should not have large metal buckles, or you will have to remove it, just like a belt with large metal buckles.

There must have been a reason for the money belt to set off the metal detector. Were there a lot of coins in there? Large metal buckles?

To avoid this in the future, you should not carry large amounts of coins (either in a pocket, or a money belt). And your money belt should not have large metal buckles, or you will have to remove it, just like a belt with large metal buckles.

No there were no coins in it at all. The moneybelt itself was made of fabric and the zippers were plastic. It was the metal zipper sliders that set off the detectors.

2P.P1

Ganny,

I, too, have new knees (thank goodness!). Have some good news for you. At least domestically, they have changed the rules. Your travelling companion can collect your carry ons while you are being searched. I would still wear the around the neck or money belt but at least you won't have to worry about someone walking off with your bags.

Ganny,

I, too, have new knees (thank goodness!). Have some good news for you. At least domestically, they have changed the rules. Your travelling companion can collect your carry ons while you are being searched. I would still wear the around the neck or money belt but at least you won't have to worry about someone walking off with your bags.

Thanks for the information. I feel better because leaving bags , especially my purse was a big concern for me.

Barbara

been busy this AM. I am taking a money belt around the waist. (bought)

I measured the size of USD and Euros and then proceeded to sew a cotton bag with a tab that buttons.

this will accommodate over 25 bills laying flat and could be pinned to the inside of your waistband.

just another idea for security that is not a money belt. if you want a picture, please ask.

When wearing a money belt I use the soft around my waist under my pants. I always take it off because I have credit cards in it. Somtimes I put my watch in it and those can set off alarms,Also I have my house keys in it also.The only thing I keep in my pockets are change, and a few bucks.

Archived