Sorry. It's our first cruise. We didn't know the etiquette...

Roboat

Right. Because it is never the mother in this scenario who is being insensitive and unaware of how her volume, tone and/or behavior are impacting those around them. It is never some self involved mommy who has decided that their child's 'meltdown' is an adequate reason to shriek at their child or barge through groups of others without regard for the activities of those around them.

Nor has a mother ignored the signs of an impending 'meltdown' (or even encouraged it by keeping the kiddos active till they are too tired to do anything BUT melt down) for her own selfish interests.

Because of course a mother under the stress of a 'melting down' child has never been known to focus on her small world or be overly sensitive to comments and glances of those around her.

Perhaps mommies need to consider that the commentary or looks aren't any more a personal attack than their own behavior is.

(And heaven forbid we mention the father in all of this)

Good Point! I had one of those kids that did the meltdowns. I soon learned that I had to not exert her as much. She could deal with my shopping for an hour or so at Walmart fine. Spending half a day at the mall was different though. I soon leaned that I could not expect a small child to be capable of what I was. As long as I shortened my trips, she was fine.

The same would go for a cruise. Perhaps your small 3 year old is not up to that 4 hour excursion you booked. Perhaps it is better for you not to book those excursions until the poor child is older, or else use the babysitting services on on board. After all they still charge half price for that little child, surely a sitter would not be much more expensive, and then the parent, the child, and their older siblings looking forward to that excursion, would be much happier.

You know, maybe sometimes it is the mom reacting to the kid's meltdowna nd making it worse. How many kids do yo have?

i have 4 under the age of 11. i experience meltdowns on a daily basis from my beautiful little drama queens, and USUALLY it is because they are overstimulated.

I can imagine, being on a ship with lots of bright lights, activity, and prolly more ppl per square foot than a mall on a saturday can and WILL cause meltdowns.

Now, imagine the mom who has been saving to go on this trip, and wants to share the experience with her children.

They board, everythings cool, but then say, the excitement overwhlems them, or perhaps they start not to feel so good becasue of motin sickness but they are too little to EXPRESS THAT in anything but a throwdown with the neareest carpet.

hauling a child in that kind of distress, plus packing however many else you have with you BACK acrosw the ship, past many ppl glaring, staring or talking about "that woman with the awful kids" will wear down any mom...especially because kids are not BAD.

So, kids are over stimulated and upset, mom is getting worn out and upset at the reactions of other ppl....

yet those same ppl who wouldnt offer a kind word, or maybe try to help redirect the child/ren for a second so she can deal with this are usually the same ones who are JUDGING her.

My five cents.

Sorry to sound so bitchy about it, but this kind of thing really pisses me off.

I cant count how many times Ive offered help to other parents who were having a rough go of it.

oh yeah..add onto the fact that usually there are no relatives to help out on ship, and yo cant just leave your kids in the room and take a walk around the block so you dont completely freak out. there is NO WHERE to go.

So, your trapped with little to no help.

Then perhaps a cruise is not the best vacation for you to take. You are going alone with 4 children? From your post, it sounds as though they are not enjoying the experience, perhaps they are too young. Perhaps you should see if Grandma would babysit occasionally for you to go with a friend on one of the shorter cruises, and then, when the kids get a few years older, try a cruise again.

What is the best way to deal with the (usually inebriated) ones who dont respect the peace and quiet on the way back to their cabins at 3 am or whatever. We are light sleepers and once woken like this, find it hard or impossible to get back to sleep!

-- if you have other members of your group across or down the hall from you, please don't just lay on your bed and yell information to them through your open cabin door

This really happened? I can't stand it when my kids yell for me across my house I couldn't imagine having someone yell for me on a large ship. That's funny!

• 1 year later...

I, too, look like I could handle the stairs but I have arthritis. I would like to mention a small thing that would really help me: if someone is slowly, painfully, hobbling down (or up) the stairs while leaning heavily on the railing, please let them continue to hold on to the railing by switching to the other side if you possibly can. In the States, almost everyone uses the right side of the stairs, whether they use the railing or not. I can't always get down the stairs without holding onto the "wrong" (left) railing. So, even if annoys you, please don't make me risk falling by forcing me to let go of the railing when you refuse to cross to the other side of a wide staircase. I don't know why I seem to encounter this more on cruises, but I do. Maybe I should just be one of those "annoying" people who take the elevator for one floor. ;)

Thanks to everyone who has added info to this topic. I will be crusing with my wife and three children for the first time this january on RCI's Freedom. I completely agree with using common sense and courtesy but here is my take. I would never travel with my children if I didn't have the feeling that their behavior would be to my expectations, but let me be the parent and do not try to discipline my children. Problems should be addressed to a staff member, do not expect them to be resolved by mumbling to yourself. Also if I want to take an elevator because I am lazy it is my vacation and I will wait happily for my turn. There are many people in this world who are there to serve you, this does not mean that they are your servants and they should not be treated that they are. We are staying in a top level cabin, this does not allow me to treat others like I am more important than they are. Everyone is there on vacation for themselves, do not let your actions ruin theirs and likewise do not allow their actions to ruin yours. Happy sailing.

What is the best way to deal with the (usually inebriated) ones who dont respect the peace and quiet on the way back to their cabins at 3 am or whatever. We are light sleepers and once woken like this, find it hard or impossible to get back to sleep!

Ear plugs. Maybe put a towel under your door to try to block out noise coming in through the gap (if there is one).

Unfortunately there's really not much you can do about it unless the people are camped out on the other side of your door. If that's the case, a call to security should get them moved on pretty fast.

the thing that irked me the most was the lifts. People using them for only one flight, when htey looked fit enough to use the stairs ( I don;t do stairs well ) & then those that go into a trance when in the lifts, so when they reach their desired floor, they are oblivious to the fact & don't get off till the new people get on. I understand its a vacation, but day dreaming when on a public lift irritates me.

You can't always tell by looking at people how their health is and if they have problems doing stairs or if they have been told by a doctor to not do stairs if an elevator is available. Are there signs saying not to use the elevators for one flight or use only if health requires or instructing them to ask you if you mind if they use the elevator? Didn't think so. Anyway, I presume the elevators are for the use of all the passangers, not just the ones going up a certain number of flights or the ones who you judge to fit to use the elevator. IMO, that attitude is rude.

You can't always tell by looking at people how their health is and if they have problems doing stairs or if they have been told by a doctor to not do stairs if an elevator is available. Are there signs saying not to use the elevators for one flight or use only if health requires or instructing them to ask you if you mind if they use the elevator? Didn't think so. Anyway, I presume the elevators are for the use of all the passangers, not just the ones going up a certain number of flights or the ones who you judge to fit to use the elevator. IMO, that attitude is rude.

Agreed. I might look very fit, but I have asthma. You might see me walking up a couple flights of stairs with no problem one day, but waiting for the elevator to go up a single floor the next as a result. A good friend is in incredible shape (runs marathons) but suffers from vertigo, and some staircase designs set it off terribly. You never know what hidden medical condition a person might have.

Thanks to everyone who has added info to this topic. I will be crusing with my wife and three children for the first time this january on RCI's Freedom. I completely agree with using common sense and courtesy but here is my take. I would never travel with my children if I didn't have the feeling that their behavior would be to my expectations, but let me be the parent and do not try to discipline my children. Problems should be addressed to a staff member, do not expect them to be resolved by mumbling to yourself. Also if I want to take an elevator because I am lazy it is my vacation and I will wait happily for my turn. There are many people in this world who are there to serve you, this does not mean that they are your servants and they should not be treated that they are. We are staying in a top level cabin, this does not allow me to treat others like I am more important than they are. Everyone is there on vacation for themselves, do not let your actions ruin theirs and likewise do not allow their actions to ruin yours. Happy sailing.

I would add to this by saying that Couples should take their first cruise without children. That way when you do not everyone in the family is new at it. Even if you are on another cruise line, you kinda know what to expect, and than can then focus on your family having a great time.

Agreed. I might look very fit, but I have asthma. You might see me walking up a couple flights of stairs with no problem one day, but waiting for the elevator to go up a single floor the next as a result. A good friend is in incredible shape (runs marathons) but suffers from vertigo, and some staircase designs set it off terribly. You never know what hidden medical condition a person might have.

Vertigo is a problem with me also-on some ships-I can't go upstairs-but can go downstairs-it all depends on the design of the staircase-go figure who could know? I never know until I try the stairs if I can comfortably go up or not.

Another weird thing with me-I have developed corns on one of my toes on all 3 of my RCI cruises- never happened on the other 6 lines I have cruised-I have never understood that-but I can only guess it is something to do with the design of the staircase and how I walk. I take my 4th RCI cruise in 2 months-maybe I should take corn pads? LOL!

A couple of other ideas:

Don't forget to teach your children ship etiquette such as no running in the halls and yelling at all hours and not using the elevators as their private play areas.

Please, please wear some kind of footwear in the buffet area. Too many times I've seen people come into the buffet with bare feet, stop and scratch the bottom of said feet and then serve themselves in the buffet. That's just gross. Heck, for that matter, please wear a cover up if you're in a bathing suit. Nothing like sitting in a chair after someone in a thong was sitting there, covered in greasy suntan lotion.

I thought this was not allowed. On my first (and only, so far) cruise, I watched a crew member in the Windjammer kindly tell a young woman with no top on (she only had on a bikini) she had to leave and clothe herself properly.

No, I don't think people do these things by accident.

I am sure that many first-time cruisers board without knowing the nuances of cruise ettiquette, BUT these rules are stated in the daily news paper, and signs (especially by the pool) explain the rules. Anyone who is even remotely aware of his surroundings KNOWS the expectations. People who break these rules KNOW they're doing wrong -- they just don't care, or they fall back upon the stupidest excuse of all: It's my vacation, and I'll do what I want (as if everyone else onboard isn't on vacation).

Also, in many cases, people KNOW because the rules aren't significantly different from similar land-based spots. Saving chairs is frowned upon everywhere. Lack of sanitation at the buffet is wrong everywhere. Diapers in the pool -- I'll give them that one; it isn't a rule everywhere on land.

Um, I've never been to a public pool that allows diapered kids in it!!!!!! I always see signs that say no street clothes, no diapers, no running on deck, et cetera...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011

Carnival Miracle December 2011 <-----birthday/holiday cruise

Carnival Dream May 2012

???? December 2012 <-----birthday/holiday cruise

Oh dear. With all these rude, obnoxious and inebriated people and their ill mannered uncontroled offspring on board I am afraid to take another cruise.

Actually I'm not. I just thought that I would make the point that these people are a small minority, and if by some misfortune you come across them, the best thing to do is ignore them and enjoy your cruise.

Oh dear. With all these rude, obnoxious and inebriated people and their ill mannered uncontroled offspring on board I am afraid to take another cruise.

Actually I'm not. I just thought that I would make the point that these people are a small minority, and if by some misfortune you come across them, the best thing to do is ignore them and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, Bob. I'm going on my first cruise on Sunday (!!) and after reading about inebriated people have been resigning myself to no sleep for a week. I really hope it isn't that bad and that it is, as you say, a small minority. (I can handle the uncontrolled offspring better unless they too are screaming and crying at 3 in the morning!)

I would add to this by saying that Couples should take their first cruise without children. That way when you do not everyone in the family is new at it. Even if you are on another cruise line, you kinda know what to expect, and than can then focus on your family having a great time.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. The first time my husband and I cruised it was with our youngest daughter (then 9). I had been on CC (as these newbies are), and accordingly had more knowledge than the average non-CC'er. We didn't have any newbie glitches and a great time was had by all.

Thanks, Bob. I'm going on my first cruise on Sunday (!!) and after reading about inebriated people have been resigning myself to no sleep for a week. I really hope it isn't that bad and that it is, as you say, a small minority. (I can handle the uncontrolled offspring better unless they too are screaming and crying at 3 in the morning!)

We've been on 20+ cruises and have never missed out on sleep due to either inebriated/loud passengers or screaming children. Never even close. There have been a few minor annoyances with other passengers, but nothing worse worrying over.

Of course, you can get very unlucky and be in the wrong place (or cabin), but for the most part this just hasn't been an issue. We've sailed on Carnival, Princess, RCI, NCL and Celebrity with no problems to speak of on any of them.

The only note I might add that is we have never sailed on a cruise at the peak of Spring Break or during school holidays or on a 3-4 night 'party cruise'; that may be a whole different story, but I still believe most cruises during these time periods would be more great than not.

My first cruise was a 3 night "party" cruise, but I still enjoyed myself. As a matter of fact, there were quiet areas in the ship when we didn't care for noise, and we enjoyed people watching on the deck when it was crowded. A good time was had by all! Now, I've heard so many great things about Carnival, I can't wait to go!!!

Counting the days until December 20th......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011

Carnival Miracle December 2011 <-----birthday/holiday cruise

Carnival Dream May 2012

???? December 2012 <-----birthday/holiday cruise

Um, I've never been to a public pool that allows diapered kids in it!!!!!! I always see signs that say no street clothes, no diapers, no running on deck, et cetera...
Who said public pools?

When I was a kid, we went to public pools all the time. These days, though, things are different: So many people have pools at home; I can't remember when I was last in a public pool. We're invited to home pool parties frequently, and those families make their own rules.

We've been on 20+ cruises and have never missed out on sleep due to either inebriated/loud passengers or screaming children. Never even close. There have been a few minor annoyances with other passengers, but nothing worse worrying over.
We had a problem with some drunk passengers on our last cruise -- we've seen plenty of drunk people on cruises, but these were the only ones who ever caused a problem for us:

We'd gone to bed around midnight, and someone knocked on our door several times -- but by the time we woke and reached the door, they were gone. It happened 2-3 times with 15-20 minutes (just enough time to go to sleep) in between. Finally I got to the door in time, and the three drunken 20-somethings were shocked to see that I wasn't their friend. I wasn't clear on whether they were trying to find their friend or keep him from sleeping, but they clearly didn't mean to wake me. They stared a minute, then ran away (these people can drive and vote -- it boggles the mind). Then one of them -- the responsible one, I suppose -- came back and knocked on the door AGAIN. My husband opened it that time. She apologized and explained that they hadn't meant to bother us, and she promised they wouldn't come back again. They didn't, but what could they have been thinking?

The passengers who have bothered us have been the older teens who hang out around the pool area late at night. They aren't necessarily drinking, but they typically aren't polite -- frequently smoking, using foul language, sometimes doing dangerous things like turning flips off the pool rails. My kids like to swim late at night, and this is something I've seen repeatedly.

i am surprised that only I'mHooked on nov 15, 2009 is the only one that has mentioned about not slamming the cabin doors.

that is what bothers me the most. we all know the cabin doors are designed to shut with significant force partly to close in case someone forgets to close it. however the doors slam shut and slam even harder if you leave your balcony door open. the slamming door can be felt and heard quite a distance away and is unpleasant anytime but particularly during typical sleep hours.

this is a problem for first timers as well as experienced cruisers.

it is so easy to gently assist the door in closing and your neighbors will love you (though they might not notice because you are being quiet and thoughtful).

smoking on balconies is another problem (on another thread) but if allowed really cannot be avoided; just that you can't enjoy your own balcony as much as you would like.

i'll put up with the inebriated passengers only because most of them aren't drunk 24/7.

Some great tips above.

I thought of others I have been guilty of...

- Casino etiquette

I haven't spent much time in casinos, and did not know the etiquette/rules. For example, I tried to hand a $20 bill to the dealer or croupier in order to buy some chips. That's a no-no. Always place bills on the table, and let the dealer pick them up. And don't blow on the dice.

In general, however, the dealers realize that many passengers are unfamiliar with casino rules, and they are very kind and helpful, especially when the crowd is light.

Most cruises offer an Intro course early on for new casino patrons, which can help you avoid a scowl, as well as teach you the basics of how to lose your money and have fun doing it!

How about some guidelines for spa services? I've never availed my self of these services. Are there any innocent no-nos besides asking for a Happy Ending with your massage?

I love the spa - it's where I spend my on-board money! Some guidelines there -

• tips are not included, so be prepared to add them!
  • You will be given an "opportunity" to buy every product they used on you - and many more! Just say no with a smile. They have to try!!
  • There are great spa bargains on port days, so keep an eye out for those.
  • If you like a therapist, and plan to go back to the spa, you can request that therapist. The spa manager will do whatever is possible to accommodate your request.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how much they check the luggage? Do they take things out of suitcase to check? I really want to take a steamer, but am afraid it will be confiscated.

TGhey check luggage if the see something suspicious when they scan it.

Archived