Sorry. It's our first cruise. We didn't know the etiquette...

Roboat

Just a few suggestions:

While it doesn't affect my cruise, I've gone by cabins with the door open and the cabin looks like a scene from Hoarders. There's no reason to leave piles everywhere making the cabin steward's job impossible, plus I would be embarrassed. If you have teens and allow a cabin next to or across, check the room occasionally.

Don't run down the hall drunk, yelling, stomping. The doors and walls on the ship are thin. Respect the fact that some people may be sleeping at 2 a.m. Don't allow teens to run down the hall sober and yelling and stomping in their sneakers.

Tip for room service. Leave the tray neatly on the table in your cabin.

Don't stiff the wait staff and stewards on end of cruise tips.

Don't assume healthy looking people on the elevator are healthy. I look very healthy and have severe heart failure and can't climb the flights of stairs.

We always have children on our cruise and LOVE kids, but large groups that decide to sit all the children at one table, adults at a separate table shouldn't happen. We actually had a toddler walk to our table and take a piece of food with his little hands out of my son-in-laws plate. Keep your children with you at dinner. There was always one of the children crawling under tables, wandering in the dining room without any notice from the adult table. Ocassional meltdowns happen but you should at least be with your children when they have them.

We always have children on our cruise and LOVE kids, but large groups that decide to sit all the children at one table, adults at a separate table shouldn't happen.

I somewhat agree.

However, on our last cruise was a large family, grandparents, parents, aunts uncles, etc.

There were 12 children, ages 4 to 16, and all of them sat at the table next to us. They were the most well behaved and mannered table in the MDR. It was a pleasure and we actually had some nice interaction with both the kids and the adults.

I somewhat agree.

However, on our last cruise was a large family, grandparents, parents, aunts uncles, etc.

There were 12 children, ages 4 to 16, and all of them sat at the table next to us. They were the most well behaved and mannered table in the MDR. It was a pleasure and we actually had some nice interaction with both the kids and the adults.

John, the post you quoted said children should not sit at separate tables from the adults. They did not say children should not be at a table WITH adults-I agree-even the best mannered children will show out to their friends/cousins if mom and dad and other adults are a ways away.

John, the post you quoted said children should not sit at separate tables from the adults. They did not say children should not be at a table WITH adults-I agree-even the best mannered children will show out to their friends/cousins if mom and dad and other adults are a ways away.

My point was the table next to us had only kids, 12 of them. No adults at the table. They were a pleasure. Just a great group and a nice family.

After our recent cruise, I need to add:

-- discipline your children and/or grandchildren in private, don't humiliate them in public

Amen to that! Folks this advice should also be taken while ANYWHERE in public.

I'm all for well disciplined children, but shouting at them and swatting them in front of everyone makes everyone involved feel uncomfortable.

Don't forget to teach your children ship etiquette such as no running in the halls and yelling at all hours and not using the elevators as their private play areas.

I so agree with this one on our last cruise there were kids running in the halls every night around 2am. It was terrible. Then there are the older people in the scooters using the hallways as race ways. I got run over by one that raced around the corner and right into me, and we would have to plaster ourselves against the walls to not get run over. What are they thinking? Common sense is all that is needed.

Just a few suggestions:

Don't run down the hall drunk, yelling, stomping. The doors and walls on the ship are thin. Respect the fact that some people may be sleeping at 2 a.m. Don't allow teens to run down the hall sober and yelling and stomping in their sneakers.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves!! THANKS for bringing it up :).

While those with children (autistic or other problems) have my sympathy - I do not want my dining experience or quiet time disrupted. I am paying well for a relaxing vacation and it is up to the parents who choose to bring that child to find a way to keep it from bothering others or to remove them promptly to a private place.

Just a few suggestions:

While it doesn't affect my cruise, I've gone by cabins with the door open and the cabin looks like a scene from Hoarders. There's no reason to leave piles everywhere making the cabin steward's job impossible, plus I would be embarrassed. If you have teens and allow a cabin next to or across, check the room occasionally.

This made me laugh as I've often seen the same thing. It makes me wonder if they are being slobs because they know someone is there to pick up after them, or if that's the way they always live.

It's one thing to maybe drop a shopping bag or a sweater on a chair instead of putting it away, but I have also seen those cabins with clothes and towels dropped all over the floor and not a flat surface in the entire cabin clutter free. I just don't understand it, but I guess it's not my business, except as you pointed out, it causes a lot of extra work for the steward who in turn might not be able to give my cabin the attention they should.

This made me laugh as I've often seen the same thing. It makes me wonder if they are being slobs because they know someone is there to pick up after them, or if that's the way they always live.

It's one thing to maybe drop a shopping bag or a sweater on a chair instead of putting it away, but I have also seen those cabins with clothes and towels dropped all over the floor and not a flat surface in the entire cabin clutter free. I just don't understand it, but I guess it's not my business, except as you pointed out, it causes a lot of extra work for the steward who in turn might not be able to give my cabin the attention they should.

I would suspect that most of the slobs, you are referring to, live that live that way at home

While those with children (autistic or other problems) have my sympathy - I do not want my dining experience or quiet time disrupted. I am paying well for a relaxing vacation and it is up to the parents who choose to bring that child to find a way to keep it from bothering others or to remove them promptly to a private place.

It depends on how they behave. Our last cruise the young teen son had Aspergers- he would get a little excited telling us about his day but I enjoyed him. I had no problem with him.

However, a 3 year old who screams in frustration because he/she has not learned how to express themselves-yes-we did not have this child at dinner but on an excursion-it was horrific. We ran into "Sasha" several times that cruise and we always "heard" before we saw her-LOL! Sasha screaming and then one of her parents calling out "Sasha" to calm her-not that it did.

I am fairly sure she was autistic and surely the parents realized, as they had 2 older children, both well behaved- their other daughter only about a year older than Sasha.

I will say this. The other times I saw them was in the lido restaurant so I believe they did not take her to dinner-but they should have known an excursion of several hours would be too much for her. I felt, as grandparents were with them also-that one of the 4 adults should have stayed with her on ship and skipped the excursion, if they were uncomfortable sending her to the kid's club. (which I could understand with this child)

Just a few suggestions:

While it doesn't affect my cruise, I've gone by cabins with the door open and the cabin looks like a scene from Hoarders. There's no reason to leave piles everywhere making the cabin steward's job impossible, plus I would be embarrassed.

I love this thread, great tips!!! I too would be embarrassed if my room looked crazy when I left it.

Thank you for all these tips! As a first time cruiser I am not quite sure what to expect and some of the people I have asked questions to here and on the Carnival board tend to be rather dismissive with their replies. I appreciate the knowledge you have all shared to help me be a better cruiser.

Wow. That is a totally new one to me! How is such a status obtained? I have seen priority given for embarking, but I didn't know there was any situation aboard ship when VIPs could go to the front of the line.

On NCL, if you're in a suite, you are entitled to some additional VIP perks other than embarkation... priority tender tickets, reservations in any restaurant (thus moving to the head of the line), reserved seats at the Shows (in some categories), etc. Many of these also apply to those who have achieved Platinum status, as well, regardless of what type of category they book.

One time we were on the NCL Dawn and had reservations at one of the restaurants. As we were walking up to the desk, a lady grabbed my arm and said, "Where the He*$ to you thin YOU'RE going?? The back of the line is over there..." I won't tell you what my response was... I'd be banned from this board if I repeated EXACTLY what came out of my mouth! :) :cool:

Nice to see this thread keeps getting revived.

The one tip I haven't seen mentioned yet:

If you are trying to pass some one and they can't/don't see you please don't barge through, a quiet "excuse me" will have the person moving and no one need grumble under their breath. Instead they can smile at each other.

Excuse me goes along with please and thank you in my world (on land or at sea).

As for lifts (elevators) I always try to use the stairs, and I say try because the day after we had done a horseback ride followed by a hike down to a waterfall I was reduced to tears trying to walk down stairs! Yes, I still looked my usual self, but it took 2 days to feel as though my legs belonged to me ;).

Lifts are for all: be courteous using them.

Cheers, h.

I've seen the "kids only" table with well-behaved children and I've seen the tables with antics that are just jaw-dropping horrible with the adults clearly ignoring it all. I honestly don't think most look for trouble from the children at the table and only came to our attention because of the following (1) tennis shoes with skates in the bottom, skating through the MDR (2) two small children crawling out from under another parties table, being assisted to their feet by a waiter (3) a child toddling over to our table and taking a piece of food from one of our plates and walking away (4) banging the table with knives and forks (5) a child around 8-9 years old who smacked the waiter's hand repeatedly when he was trying to serve them (6) multiple overturned plates crashing with broken dishes. They were keeping the waiter, asst. waiter, head waiter busy every single night, taking away from service fo the other tables. In all our cruises, we've only encountered this behavior once. I speaks volumes for the vast majority of the children onboard being well behaved and courteous. The hoarders just can't be helped (LOL).

I've seen the "kids only" table with well-behaved children and I've seen the tables with antics that are just jaw-dropping horrible with the adults clearly ignoring it all. I honestly don't think most look for trouble from the children at the table and only came to our attention because of the following (1) tennis shoes with skates in the bottom, skating through the MDR (2) two small children crawling out from under another parties table, being assisted to their feet by a waiter (3) a child toddling over to our table and taking a piece of food from one of our plates and walking away (4) banging the table with knives and forks (5) a child around 8-9 years old who smacked the waiter's hand repeatedly when he was trying to serve them (6) multiple overturned plates crashing with broken dishes. They were keeping the waiter, asst. waiter, head waiter busy every single night, taking away from service fo the other tables. In all our cruises, we've only encountered this behavior once. I speaks volumes for the vast majority of the children onboard being well behaved and courteous. The hoarders just can't be helped (LOL).

I wonder if these were the "well behaved" kids that parents object to paying the autotip for?

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the 11 pages.

Please don't roll your eyes at those who take elevators down just one floor. Some may be lazy but I am not.

I am able bodied and can walk up numerous flights of stairs but I have trouble with depth perception looking down. It makes walking down stairs extremely difficult as I feel I might fall.

After our recent cruise, I need to add:

-- unless you are entering or leaving your cabin, please keep your cabin door closed

-- if you have other members of your group across or down the hall from you, please don't just lay on your bed and yell information to them through your open cabin door

-- discipline your children and/or grandchildren in private, don't humiliate them in public

EXCELLENT! I don't know how many times I have wanted to "save" a kid from a parent that was embarrassing not only the kid, but me!

EXCELLENT! I don't know how many times I have wanted to "save" a kid from a parent that was embarrassing not only the kid, but me!

I can't stand unattended children, I love kids but screming unattended ones just urk me..

-KD

Archived