Need clarification on CURRENT stockholder benefit

This is the current information on http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit will not be combinable with other Onboard Booking Credits, Loyalty Programs and/or other Reduced Fare Offerings. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to InvestorRelations@rccl.com, and a prompt response will be forthcoming.

If RCCL does not allow you to get an OBC for the FCB and Diamond discount what would be the point of even doing a FCB? I know I would not be doing them anymore..seems to me RCCL would lose in that situation based on the number of loyal customers who use this program frequently.

I asked the Loyalty amb the same thing when we were on Freedom a couple of weeks ago, she was not aware of the change and was shocked when I told her about it. She also became concerned because lack of repeat business could affect that position. I told her I would write to C&A when I returned home which I did. I would strongly urge anyone reading this post to call or write C&A and let them know that you are not happy at all with that decision.

yes if that statement 'for any sailing that is confirmed' could be clarified it sure would help. I will be on Liberty next week and want to do a couple of bookings. One I know the sailing date and the other I am debating between doing a Next Cruise or just booking a sailing in the future that I might transfer at a later date.

I am thinking that if you have NC to use you need to book something before Dec 31..that is my thought

Well, this is OLD NEWS. It's been on the boards for quite some time. I thought from the comments here that they had changed back to the original way of handling it - could combine shareholder, NC, and balcony discount. Apparently not?? Someone on this board indicated that RCCL was welcoming e-mails to back up our complaints; however, when I asked for the e-mail address to use, nothing was forthcoming.

So right now (and correct me if I'm wrong), December 31 is the deadline. (Actually, someone said December 30.)

I think I may have read somewhere on these boards, that RCL has once again done a switch, and the stockholder benefit IS now again combinable with other onboard credits. Can anyone clarify, and tell me exactly what, if anything, can be combined, such as savings certificates, future cruise onboard purchases, etc?

We have recently booked two RCCL trips, one in March 2009 and one in Nov 2009. My agent had me fax in the shareholder info yesterday as it must be applied by 12/31/08 to be applicable for 2009.

They are no longer allowing the shipboard credit along with other credit. It will be one or the other.

Personally... with the way the stock has devalued... they should throw us one.

This information was sent to me directly from RCL Shareholders Benefit office in response to my questions about the shareholder benefits.

"After 12/31/08, the shareholder onboard credit will only be combinable with Diamond and Platinum member discounts and onboard credits or discounts that are applied from your Royal Rewards credit card points. Nothing else will be combinable with the shareholder benefit offer."

When I asked what the combinable Diamond/Platinum member discounts were, I received this reply:

"It will be combinable with the Diamond member discount you receive when you confirm balcony space on certain sailings."

Since I don't book the balcony, it doesn't make much sense for me to do any future cruise bookings after the end of 2008.

This information was sent to me directly from RCL Shareholders Benefit office in response to my questions about the shareholder benefits.

"After 12/31/08, the shareholder onboard credit will only be combinable with Diamond and Platinum member discounts and onboard credits or discounts that are applied from your Royal Rewards credit card points. Nothing else will be combinable with the shareholder benefit offer."

When I asked what the combinable Diamond/Platinum member discounts were, I received this reply:

"It will be combinable with the Diamond member discount you receive when you confirm balcony space on certain sailings."

Since I don't book the balcony, it doesn't make much sense for me to do any future cruise bookings after the end of 2008.

Well, I think this is very fair. We are till going to be allowed D+ balcony discount and one OBC from either shareholder/booking on board.

Patti,

I agree with the posters link to the shareholders benefit post. If I keep the stock and am a Diamond member, as well as a NC certificate holder I would be a happy camper if I could get my stockholder credit and my balcony discount. If I was booking other people with me on a NC certificate I would hope that they would allow me the stockholder credit and the NC. Not looking for all three, would love it but know the times. I just booked a Jan 2010 cruise and have one friend booked and possibly another, still have about 25 days.

Something RCCL hasn't thought about is a reward program. Bring in new cruisers with your booking and you get a OBC for bringing them in without a TA. I book direct and don't use a TA. I wish the people that book directly with them and don't require them to pay out a fee to a TA get a break. They don't lose any money from me unless I cancel the cruise.

Do any of you know if we can use shareholder OBC, and the Diamond balcony disc. and still use the NC OBC for friends nooking same cruise?

If you received Certificate for Friends and Family when you booked your NC, then yes, they would get the OBC from booking the same cruise as you do. You can't give your NC OBC to friends doing the same cruise.

You will get the OBC from being a shareholder along with your balcony discount.

Not that I've found. It's like we are all on "double-secret probation". They never posted or announced the sudden change to shareholder benefits, and they never announced their reversal of that decision either - although the language on their investor website was revised both times.:( CC members got the word out:D

HA! I love Animal House.

Sorry to say this but when I spoke with C&A two nights ago I was told as of 12/31 you could only use either our platinum discount or Next Cruise OBC not both. I decided I was angry enough to email Adam Goldstein. this is the first time I ever did this but it really bothered me about the message this was telling me about being a repeat customer. Royal communication at their best is bad. I would really want someone from Royal to spell this out to stopped all this confusion on what is and what is not allowed as of 12/31. To me Adam Goldstein would be the man who could do that. If Royal does decide to just go with one whatever it would be such a blow to their Loyalty program, their repeat customers especially in these economic times.

I know when I did speak and wrote to C&A you can tell that they were in our corner especially the girl I talked with, she told me she has received nothing but complaints and are building a case to take up to Management. I strongly urge anyone to call or email C&A this is not the time to be writing on cruise critic but to take this to RCL and let them know.

To me it is more the principle behind the decision that has me upset and normally am a quiet type of person but we have worked our way up to Platinum over the last few years and feel the rug has been pulled out from underneath us. As much as Royal is our cruise line of choice we have not sailed anything else since our first RCL Cruise. We were looking forward to working our way up to diamond but now if these changes do go into effect then there is no sense in being diamond to us.

I hope what the other posters have stated is correct that you can still combine our balcony discount with our next cruise obc after 12/31 but I am not hearing that from C&A

Just to validate what I said I just got off the phone with C&A and nothing is combinable after 12/31

Sorry to say this but when I spoke with C&A two nights ago I was told as of 12/31 you could only use either our platinum discount or Next Cruise OBC not both. I decided I was angry enough to email Adam Goldstein. this is the first time I ever did this but it really bothered me about the message this was telling me about being a repeat customer. Royal communication at their best is bad. I would really want someone from Royal to spell this out to stopped all this confusion on what is and what is not allowed as of 12/31. To me Adam Goldstein would be the man who could do that. If Royal does decide to just go with one whatever it would be such a blow to their Loyalty program, their repeat customers especially in these economic times.

I know when I did speak and wrote to C&A you can tell that they were in our corner especially the girl I talked with, she told me she has received nothing but complaints and are building a case to take up to Management. I strongly urge anyone to call or email C&A this is not the time to be writing on cruise critic but to take this to RCL and let them know.

To me it is more the principle behind the decision that has me upset and normally am a quiet type of person but we have worked our way up to Platinum over the last few years and feel the rug has been pulled out from underneath us. As much as Royal is our cruise line of choice we have not sailed anything else since our first RCL Cruise. We were looking forward to working our way up to diamond but now if these changes do go into effect then there is no sense in being diamond to us.

I hope what the other posters have stated is correct that you can still combine our balcony discount with our next cruise obc after 12/31 but I am not hearing that from C&A

Just to validate what I said I just got off the phone with C&A and nothing is combinable after 12/31

It appears that after December 31, according to Investor Relations, if you are a shareholder then you can combine your OBC with a P/D/D+ discount, but you can not add an OBC from a cruise booked while on a ship/OBC from a NextCruise. The key word here is "shareholder".

If you are not a shareholder than I believe C&A is saying that you have to select just one benefit...............OBC from booking a cruise while on a cruise/OBC from a NextCruise or the P/D/D+ discount.

These are two independent departments within Royal Caribbean.

They really aren't making it easy................are they?

It appears that after December 31, according to Investor Relations, if you are a shareholder then you can combine your OBC with a P/D/D+ discount, but you can not add an OBC from a cruise booked while on a ship/OBC from a NextCruise. The key word here is "shareholder".

If you are not a shareholder than I believe C&A is saying that you have to select just one benefit...............OBC from booking a cruise while on a cruise/OBC from a NextCruise or the P/D/D+ discount.

These are two independent departments within Royal Caribbean.

They really aren't making it easy................are they?

Patti, That is what they are saying choose one or the other. As I mentioned I did call C&A to double check and I was correct I am not a stockholder just a lowly Platinum member and can only use my balcony discount or Next Cruise..OBC. Glad I did not purchase a Next Cruise while I was on Freedom a few weeks ago.

The Loyalty Amb was pushing the Next Cruise at our party and I asked her if she was aware of the change she said she heard it was just in the pipe line and told her it is no longer that but it is a fact and she needs to be upfront with her repeat customers about this.

I can only imagine some frequent cruisers who is not aware of this and finding out after they purchased a NC or a FC that they are no longer combinable. there are going to be some mighty upset customers down the way mark my words.

We didn't buy a Next Cruise on our recent cruise either. I still have one I am holding. But that really doesn't make much sense. It works for us, but it doesn't make much sense......the balcony discounts are combinable with the shareholder OBC. But the balcony discounts ARE NOT combinable with the Next Cruise OBC?

I don't really see the logic in that. They pushed the Next Cruise program, but now I wonder if they are thinking about eliminating it? There is really no reason to purchase a cruise onboard or NextCruise certificate then (for balcony dwellers). It sure would be nice if they would explain our options in a concise and consistent manner. I know....when pigs fly. :D:D

We didn't buy a Next Cruise on our recent cruise either. I still have one I am holding. But that really doesn't make much sense. It works for us, but it doesn't make much sense......the balcony discounts are combinable with the shareholder OBC. But the balcony discounts ARE NOT combinable with the Next Cruise OBC?

I don't really see the logic in that. They pushed the Next Cruise program, but now I wonder if they are thinking about eliminating it? There is really no reason to purchase a cruise onboard or NextCruise certificate then. It sure would be nice if they would explain our options in a concise and consistent manner. I know....when pigs fly. :D:D

That was the best laugh I had today, thanks, you should call C&A I have to admit they have been very supportive this could affect their jobs as well.

Patti, That is what they are saying choose one or the other. As I mentioned I did call C&A to double check and I was correct I am not a stockholder just a lowly Platinum member and can only use my balcony discount or Next Cruise..OBC. Glad I did not purchase a Next Cruise while I was on Freedom a few weeks ago.

The Loyalty Amb was pushing the Next Cruise at our party and I asked her if she was aware of the change she said she heard it was just in the pipe line and told her it is no longer that but it is a fact and she needs to be upfront with her repeat customers about this.

I can only imagine some frequent cruisers who is not aware of this and finding out after they purchased a NC or a FC that they are no longer combinable. there are going to be some mighty upset customers down the way mark my words.

Dale, most LA's haven't a clue what is being done. They are there to book cruises..............that's the sad part.

I don't really see the logic in that. They pushed the Next Cruise program, but now I wonder if they are thinking about eliminating it? There is really no reason to purchase a cruise onboard or NextCruise certificate then. It sure would be nice if they would explain our options in a concise and consistent manner. I know....when pigs fly. :D:D

Patti.............it really doesn't make any sense to allow the P/D/D+ balcony discount to be combined with an OBC to those that are shareholders............but deny it to those that just book a cruise while on a cruise.

I don't think that they thought this through.................maybe pigs will hit the fan..........and fly!!:p

I think their calculus is that the three situations are fairly compartmentalized. For example most passengers booking NC/FC probably haven't reached Platinum/Diamond and are not shareholders. My guess is their thinking is that the onboard bookings are people fairly new to cruising and their enthusiasm takes hold onboard so they run off to the LA and book something. Those that are shareholders are probably also Platinum/Diamond, and are aware of the rules, will be unhappy but they constitute a fairly small percentage of passengers. And by the time you reach Diamond you have a lot "invested" in RCI and are likely to stay with them for the continuing benefits. The people on this forum are likely not typical passengers.

I think their calculus is wrong but I'm guessing, they've got the numbers and the research to back up their decision --- maybe :-)

I think their calculus is that the three situations are fairly compartmentalized. For example most passengers booking NC/FC probably haven't reached Platinum/Diamond and are not shareholders. My guess is their thinking is that the onboard bookings are people fairly new to cruising and their enthusiasm takes hold onboard so they run off to the LA and book something. Those that are shareholders are probably also Platinum/Diamond, and are aware of the rules, will be unhappy but they constitute a fairly small percentage of passengers. And by the time you reach Diamond you have a lot "invested" in RCI and are likely to stay with them for the continuing benefits. The people on this forum are likely not typical passengers.

I think their calculus is wrong but I'm guessing, they've got the numbers and the research to back up their decision --- maybe :-)

You might be right because the LA was very busy booked up solid for the entire week. I still think this is very wrong and I do use NC but not anymore. I think you might be surprize how many platinum members are not part of cruise critic...and probably do not know. CC represents a very small population of the cruise world. I do think there will be fall out from this will wait and see after 1/1

Archived