Here is the Fuel Surcharge Refund Tracker

Aussiemate

Octobrtr 22 was the first day the price closed below $70. If I am reading the Carnival Corporation release correctly and counting days on fingers right, the first cruise date that could get a refund is about December 5.

Im loosing the plot with it all.....for me its not very clear on the princess website whos entitled to what....dont think I would be one of the lucky ones anyway :(

Link won't open up

So here it is-

Effective October 31, 2008, the existing fuel supplement will be eliminated for all new bookings on 2010 departures for its brands serving the North American market – Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and the Yachts of Seabourn. At that same time, a price increase on 2010 sailings will become effective. Price increases will vary by individual line. Additionally, we have established specific guidelines under which the current fuel supplement may be reimbursed to our guests for 2008 and 2009 voyages.

For 2008 and 2009 departures, if the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is $70 per barrel or less at the 2:30 pm close of business as reported by Reuters on each of the 25 consecutive trading days ending five trading days prior to the guest's cruise departure date, the fuel supplement will be automatically refunded in the form of a shipboard credit.

The fuel supplement for five of the six Carnival Corporation brands is currently $9 per person per day for the first and second guest (not to exceed $126 per person per voyage) and $4 per person per day for third, fourth and fifth guests (not to exceed $56 per person per voyage). Seabourn’s supplement is $15 per person per day for the first and second guest (not to exceed $210 per person per voyage) and $4 per person per day for third and fourth guests (not to exceed $56 per person per voyage).

The closing price per barrel of oil as described above is provided for your convenience:

Oct. 2008

13th: $81.19

14th: $78.63

15th: $74.54

16th: $69.85

17th: $71.85

Oct. 2008

20th: $74.25

21st: $70.89

22nd: $66.75

23rd: $67.84

24th: $64.15

Oct. 2008

27th: $63.22

28th: $62.73

29th: $67.50

30th: $65.96

31st: $67.81

Nov. 2008

3rd: $63.91

4th:

5th:

6th:

7th:

Nov. 2008

10th:

11th:

12th:

13th:

14th:

*All prices listed are in USD$

Im loosing the plot with it all.....for me its not very clear on the princess website whos entitled to what....dont think I would be one of the lucky ones anyway :(

J10enn,

No, you will not get a refund of the surcharge under the current rules.

July 2008 we booked our 2010 11 Night 10 Day Mexican Coastal Cruise on the Star Princess thru an online Cruise Agency. At time of the booking we were charged $180.00 Fuel Supplement Surcharge. This past Sunday I checked the price on our Cruise and for the same Cruise it was $180.00 less due to the Fuel Supplement Surcharge was drop on all new bookings made on or after 1 Nov. 2008. I contacted Princess and they stated currently the Fuel Supplement Surcharge isn’t being imposed on new bookings. I called the TA and asked what they could do. Bottom line the TA cancelled our Cruise and immediately rebooked it allowing us to get the lower rate. We were able to retain our Early Traditional Dining time and our same cabin. Persistence does pay off by constantly monitoring your Cruise and keeping in contact with your TA. The TA also took care of my sister in law and her husband’s reservations also. Kudos to the TA. Booking early paid off for us!

I just returned from the 10 day Mexican Riveria on the Star (Oct. 11 sailing) Our cabin was given a $12.20 credit in addition to our OBC. When I asked about the additional $12.20 the purser's office explained it was a partial refund on the fuel surcharge. I heard others saying that they had received similar credit and were told the same thing. My guess is that for future cruises, the fuel charge refund will be larger and will be credited to your onboard account, IMHO.

I just returned from the 10 day Mexican Riveria on the Star (Oct. 11 sailing) Our cabin was given a $12.20 credit in addition to our OBC. When I asked about the additional $12.20 the purser's office explained it was a partial refund on the fuel surcharge. I heard others saying that they had received similar credit and were told the same thing. My guess is that for future cruises, the fuel charge refund will be larger and will be credited to your onboard account, IMHO.

$12.20? I am going to guess that had something to do with port fees (did you miss any ports?). No fuel surcharge refunds are going out right now for sailings currently. And especially not partical refunds.

I know that is what the pursers desk told you, but I would have actually questioned this a little more as I think the staff member made a mistake here.

This offer doesn't seem genuine and fair.

Today oil closed just above, at $70.53 and the clock re-sets (and perhaps oil goes back down into the $60's up until the cut off period)!

http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com/AboutUs/FuelSupplementUpdate.aspx

Of course it isn't fair. If they wanted to be fair they would have made it a tiered refund that reflected the surcharge as it was implemented e.g. < $70 oil full refund, < $90 oil surcharge of $5, etc. The most recent surcharges were adjusted when oil was over $140, now oil is half that price so if they wanted to be fair it wouldn't be an all or nothing situation, they would use the same benchmarks for the surcharge refunds that they used for their implementation.

I feel they had to do something. The minute oil prices feel, everyone was screaming for a refund immediately. Even though the fuel they bought for the ships/upcoming cruises was probably purchased at the higher price.

This way, if it stays low, there is a chance of getting the fuel surcharges refunded. The way it was, there was no chance.

OR, they just wanted to give everyone something else to complain about. :mad::confused::mad:

If you want to know for certain when the price will go above the $70 amount, just look at when I will be sailing and plan on it happening the day before we leave. That's my luck. Doesn't matter, we are going anyway and will love paying the surcharge.

If you want to know for certain when the price will go above the $70 amount, just look at when I will be sailing and plan on it happening the day before we leave. That's my luck. Doesn't matter, we are going anyway and will love paying the surcharge.

It went above $70 yesterday.

Actually, you'd be fine in that case. What you really mean is 6 trading days before you leave, which would be the last day of the 25 trading day period :).

Archived