Disappointed with one RCI Rule!

storfie

On Jeopardy tonight, one of the categories was the ever-popular, "Potent Potables".

One question/answer was The WineRack.

Another question/answer was The BeerBelly.

:)

Bibo ergo sum.:p

Why do people who loudly proclaim that they will not sail on Royal Caribbean because of this rule still post here?

Just sayin'.......................

I am...ad idem.;)

Thats part of what I read - the mother's lawsuit said records showed they served him 5 drinks in 4 hrs - that's not a whole lot of booze IMO. He was drunk from smuggled booze - and his friends left him drunk on deck sleeping in a deck lounger to sleep it off. He woke up at 2:15 or so and puked over the rail and fell over. In addition - his mother's suit claimed RCI was negligent for not making sure he got to his room safely. Because they don't constantly monitor all the cameras to watch for people going overboard. And that the cruiseline had a duty to warn passengers that it was dangerous to be on deck on a moving ship - and there was no deck watch to prevent it. Seriously - he was 21 - she wanted a babysitter.

http://*****.com/5zw9x7

I guess it depends on what article you read. I read an interview with his mother who said that RCI did try and pin it on alcohol that had been smuggled on board, but when they checked the bottles, very little had actually been drank and RCI didn't disclose that.

Either way, RCI decided to treat all of it's guests as out of control 21 year olds. Just doesn't work for me.

Why do people who loudly proclaim that they will not sail on Royal Caribbean because of this rule still post here?

Hmmm, last time I checked this was Cruise CRITIC not some private little club where you had to agree with everything a cruise line did to attend.

I do know what you're sayin'...and I realize that this is a rhetorical question, and you don't actually want an answer to it. But I'm going to answer it straight anyway, as if you actually DID want an answer.

I still occasionally post to the RCI board for a couple reasons. First of all, as someone who has taken several RCI cruises in the past, even if I don't plan on taking any in the near future (at least until they change their booze policies ;)), I do believe I can still consider myself an RCI cruiser. As such, I still have an interest in their cruises, and enjoy talking about my experiences on them...and I believe I sometimes even have wisdom to offer to new RCI cruisers. Especially when it comes to booze smuggling, which RCI's policies render a requirement for people who, like me, wish to enjoy their personal beverages in their cabins. Unfortunately, too many "booze smuggling" threads get deleted when people who object to this practice get hostile and insulting... so even though it's a frequent topic on here, there are surprisingly few remaining threads for new cruisers to learn about things like Rum Runners.

So there's my straight answer to you rhetorical question. :D

There can be little doubt that alcohol/drink sales are a major profit centre for many companies including RCCL. They most certainly have the right to prevent alcohol being brought on board for consumption and they make this a "condition of carriage." If you purchase a ticket you agree to the conditions of carriage and enter into a formal contract on the basis of those conditions.

Whilst understandable and reasonable that people might question or object to this policy, it is a little strange that anyone would complain having entered into the contract. Worse still, smuggling the stuff onboard places you in breach of contract and at serious risk of having your cruise terminated without compensation. I expect they take a fairly pragmatic approach to this, nevertheless is saving a few dollars really worth the risk?

Playing Devils advocate slightly, it is worth reiterating that RCCL demonstrably advertises and promotes its products to a family target market. It has a very large youth demographic on board. I am not suggesting for one minute that it is universally successful in preventing alcohol consumption within this group, but it has a serious responsibility to attempt to do so. Onboard sales give it some control in this area. Alcohol brought onboard, or purchased in ports (some of which will have more lenient age rules), would present a serious challenge in this regard.

Airlines do not permit passengers to consume alcohol that has been brought on board by the passenger and they have a right to remove it. Obviously this is because onboard sales are a profit centre, and also because it enables the crew to have some control over consumption. Once again these rules form part of the "conditions of carrriage" and have been agreed to as part of the ticket purchase (or electronic booking where no physical ticket is issued.)

I understand that RCCL has no restriction on passengers purchasing alcohol to be transported as seperate baggage for return at the end of the voyage. If the cruise line doesn't stock a wine or brand that you simply cannot live without, then I suppose the answer is don't book with them.

I disappear from the board for a few months and when I return, the same crap posts about alcohol in the cabins from off the ship.

I guess you could always disappear again!

bet this guy's family sued - unfortunately he's not named so can't confirm - and Carnival is known as a party line.

Party line compared to what?... Seabourn? Ok I can agree with that!

However, comparing to RCI??? LMAO that is funny. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I did not even realize this policy existed, as it does not pertain to me. However, I do not see what the big deal is for an adult to bring a bottle of wine aboard at embarkation and/or each port. Sounds to me like $$$$ more than anything.

Playing Devils advocate slightly, it is worth reiterating that RCCL demonstrably advertises and promotes its products to a family target market. It has a very large youth demographic on board. I am not suggesting for one minute that it is universally successful in preventing alcohol consumption within this group, but it has a serious responsibility to attempt to do so. Onboard sales give it some control in this area. Alcohol brought onboard, or purchased in ports (some of which will have more lenient age rules), would present a serious challenge in this regard.

Airlines do not permit passengers to consume alcohol that has been brought on board by the passenger and they have a right to remove it. Obviously this is because onboard sales are a profit centre, and also because it enables the crew to have some control over consumption. Once again these rules form part of the "conditions of carrriage" and have been agreed to as part of the ticket purchase (or electronic booking where no physical ticket is issued.)

Just a couple of things, on the first paragraph, I agree, they try and portray a family vacation...100% agreed...but so does Disney and you can take wine and booze on a Disney Cruise. Now you don't find a more family oriented cruise line than Disney.

This is direct from Disney's website:

Alcohol is permitted onboard. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $15.00 per bottle.

Second Paragraph, I don't stay on an airplane for 7 - 14 days. A plane is my mode of transportation. A cruise ship is both my mode of transportation and my hotel room. No hotel room is going to restrict you taking a bottle of wine to your room even though they have a bar.

There can be little doubt that alcohol/drink sales are a major profit centre for many companies including RCCL. They most certainly have the right to prevent alcohol being brought on board for consumption and they make this a "condition of carriage." If you purchase a ticket you agree to the conditions of carriage and enter into a formal contract on the basis of those conditions.

Whilst understandable and reasonable that people might question or object to this policy, it is a little strange that anyone would complain having entered into the contract. Worse still, smuggling the stuff onboard places you in breach of contract and at serious risk of having your cruise terminated without compensation. I expect they take a fairly pragmatic approach to this, nevertheless is saving a few dollars really worth the risk?

I understand that RCCL has no restriction on passengers purchasing alcohol to be transported as seperate baggage for return at the end of the voyage. If the cruise line doesn't stock a wine or brand that you simply cannot live without, then I suppose the answer is don't book with them.

While I appreciate your articulate and well-thought-out post, and I can see some of your logic, there are key parts with which I disagree.

First and foremost is the issue of risk. While the cruise contract does include language suggesting you could be "denied boarding" for attempting to smuggle alcohol, the reality (and I prefer to make my decisions based on reality, not speculation or conjecture) is that never, in all the years I've been on Cruise Critic (longer than my profile lists), has there ever been a report of a single passenger being denied boarding for smuggling alcohol. The fact is that many passengers attempt to carry on alcohol on every single RCI cruise, with varying degrees of success. And when passengers are caught, the ONLY thing that has ever been reported as a consequence is having one's booze confiscated. So the reality is that the risk is minimal - and many are quite willing to take the risk of having their bottles confiscated and held till the end of the cruise, in order to be able to enjoy their legally purchased beverages in the privacy of their cabins.

Second is the "agreeing to the terms and conditions". I realize that I don't have a legal leg to stand on in this, but I personally do not feel any moral obligation to adhere to a condition that I consider to be nothing more than a self-serving attempt by a for-profit corporation to increase their profits, at my expense, and to my detriment. So I have, on my past RCI cruises, chosen to disregard it by carrying my own alcohol onboard. Am I in "breach of contract" with RCI? Probably - but I feel no guilt for it, and, as described above, the risk is minimal (and non-existent if you do it right ;)). That part of their contract is, IMO, unreasonable, self-serving, and detrimental to me as their customer...and thus, not worthy of my adherence.

Does this mean that I randomly and indiscriminately disregard policies I don't like, as a general practice? No. I am actually a law-abiding person who believes in rules - WHEN there's a valid purpose for them OTHER than simply padding a corporation's profits at my expense. (Just thought I'd throw this paragraph in to head off the usual attacks thrown at booze-smugglers at this point that we're all lawless rule-breakers who disregard rules everywhere we go - which is simply not true.)

Further, I disagree with the comparison to a commercial airliner. A more valid comparison is to a hotel - and I doubt any of us have ever stayed at a hotel that disallowed bringing our own consumables, alcoholic or not, into our private bedrooms. There are numerous reasons why the airline/cruiseline comparison is not valid - for example, the safety issues and potential risks to other passengers are significantly different on each - but I'm not going to go into the details. I think I've made my point.

In any case, I DO agree with your final point: that if we find their restrictions to be too limiting, we can simply not book them. And that's what many of us do.

As I mentioned earlier, I continue to post in this forum about this topic to help those cruisers who still want to cruise on RCI, but need assistance in getting past their restrictive policies. I'm all about helping others. :)

while I would also appreciate being able to bring back and drink a bottle in the cabin it has always been prohibited since we began cruising and we arent going to change our plans over it

Ditto! That's how we feel too. Certainly not a deal-breaker when you already know the rules going in.

I do know what you're sayin'...and I realize that this is a rhetorical question, and you don't actually want an answer to it. But I'm going to answer it straight anyway, as if you actually DID want an answer.

I still occasionally post to the RCI board for a couple reasons. First of all, as someone who has taken several RCI cruises in the past, even if I don't plan on taking any in the near future (at least until they change their booze policies ;)), I do believe I can still consider myself an RCI cruiser. As such, I still have an interest in their cruises, and enjoy talking about my experiences on them...and I believe I sometimes even have wisdom to offer to new RCI cruisers. Especially when it comes to booze smuggling, which RCI's policies render a requirement for people who, like me, wish to enjoy their personal beverages in their cabins. Unfortunately, too many "booze smuggling" threads get deleted when people who object to this practice get hostile and insulting... so even though it's a frequent topic on here, there are surprisingly few remaining threads for new cruisers to learn about things like Rum Runners.

So there's my straight answer to your rhetorical question. :D

LeeAnne, just for the record: I don't like Royal Caribbean's policy AT ALL. I think that we should be permitted to bring on a reasonable amount of wine, both at embarkation and from ports, and they have the right to charge a reasonable, even an UNreasonable corkage fee in the dining room. I don't even like that we can no longer purchase liquor in the onboard store for in-room consumption for a fee.

When they first changed the liquor policy, I posted a poll: How much would you be willing to pay for in-room consumption?

People actually were NOT willing to pay much. They want it all. Cheap booze at no risk. Many said, "$5 is about right". The cruiseline has a complete right to make a profit! They certainly aren't doing it on the $159 that I am paying for 4 nights on the Majesty next week!

So, to sum up:

I don't like Royal Caribbean's policies as they pertain to alcoholic beverages.

For the most part, I abide by those policies.

I *do* believe that it's all about the money.

I would rather they make more profit from booze and keep the fares low.

JM (never H) O.

What's more disappointing is when you go to a port and buy a special bottle or two of something you can't get at home or on the ship and turn it in at the gangway but never get it back at the end of your cruise. This happened to us last year on the Navigator causing us to waste valuable time the morning of debarkation chasing down a resolution. We were finally compensated with a couple of the ships branded cheap bottles.

Our headwaiter once tried to charge me corkage on a bottle of wine that was given to me as the most travelled cruiser. I told him that he could give it back to the Captain, then, with my regrets. He backed off.

I wish I could have seen the look on his face. Priceless. ;)

there's no reason to restrict everyone's activities because of a few idiots.

Yes, if only that were true. Future generations would be deprived of such wonderful things as the TSA, Bag searches at Disneyland, Suitcases being lawfully destroyed for your protection.

I don't believe they restrict anyones activities beyond their own declared conditions of carriage. They don't prevent adults enjoying alcoholic beverages, they simply insist that those beverages consumed onboard are purchased from their own specified outlet points.

Understand, I am not strongly advocating their position, however I do understand the multi level rationale behind this part of the contract.

]..<<snip>>.. I don't even like that we can no longer purchase liquor in the onboard store for in-room consumption for a fee..<<snip>>..[/b]

Which tells me that it is all about the ******* lawyers. RCI refuses to sell you booze (which it makes a nice profit on) to chug in your cabin.

All drinking onboard ship to be done where they control what you buy and how much you imbibe.

I have a couple of slip and fall guys as clients and will ask them about this in January.

As a new cruiser to RCI am I understanding right that they do not offer a "bar set-up" where you can order ahead of time to have liquor in your suite upon arrival?? We always have ordered ahead of time to have some Jameson, vodka, ect. as we enjoy entertaining new friends and travel companions. It is always more expensive(bar set-up)then your reg. liquor store prices, but still cheaper and easier than hanging out at a loud or crowded bar when you want to sit back and relax before dinner.

As a new cruiser to RCI am I understanding right that they do not offer a "bar set-up" where you can order ahead of time to have liquor in your suite upon arrival?? We always have ordered ahead of time to have some Jameson, vodka, ect. as we enjoy entertaining new friends and travel companions. It is always more expensive(bar set-up)then your reg. liquor store prices, but still cheaper and easier than hanging out at a loud or crowded bar when you want to sit back and relax before dinner.

Yes, you understand correctly. You cannot buy bottles of liquor on board the ship for consumption in your cabin. Only wine.

Which tells me that it is all about the ******* lawyers. RCI refuses to sell you booze (which it makes a nice profit on) to chug in your cabin.

All drinking onboard ship to be done where they control what you buy and how much you imbibe.

I have a couple of slip and fall guys as clients and will ask them about this in January.

They make a nicer profit on drinks at the bar.

again I will say... MAYBE if they decided to offer something slightly nicer than Beringer White Zin on a 13 night Med cruise it wouldn't be such an issue for people....

Yes, they had other stuff, but seriously...the wine special for the night was Beringer.... after spending days in Tuscany.... seriously? Bring on some Italian wine, mark it up to high heaven and get on with it. At least OFFER something Italian on an ITALIAN cruise. they had 1 bottle from Italy listed on the wine menu... it was like $54 or something and yes we bought two.... but seriously people - have more than one choice.

So you discriminate against people that don't drink wine? The rule is you are not allowed to bring alcohol of any kind on board the ship with you. I don't drink wine but I sure would like to have a bottle of gin or whiskey in my room to enjoy once in a while at my leisure. I don't agree with the rule either but I think if you change it for one, you have to change it for all.

It IS discriminating against those of us who do not drink wine. Wine can get a person drunk too! I rarely drink except on cruises and I hate wine and beer! If RCI would let me order a bar setup like Princess and Norwegian do then I'd be real happy.:D

LeeAnne, thanks for standing up for us wine snobs! I will say, that the policy has failed to stop me from sailing RCI, but it does make me uncomfortable because of this thuggish policy. Fortunately, my experience has been that a bottle or many bottles or rumrunners in my luggage has gotten to my cabin each and every time I have sailed. If they take my wine and hold it for me until the end of the cruise, I won't be happy, but I don't have any rational reason to be mad at RCI. If they were to deny me boarding (which by the way I can't believe anyone has not played that card yet in this thread) I will get more than my money's worth out of publically humilating them for this policy. I am a mature adult and I am legal to possess alcohol and if they become a law unto themselves then they are a lot dumber than I believe them to be. If you are 20 or less then this is a completely different issue. I probably would not try to bring alcohol on board during spring break or summer when the kiddies are out of school, but even then as a mature adult. Of course, I avoid those sailings like the plague, and wouldn't be found with or without alcohol on one of those sailings. I really don't think any major thing would ever result from bringing a legal product with me. Remember if you don't use rumrunners, you must use a waterproof float bag. I never leave home without one.

peace and love

jc

Yes, if only that were true. Future generations would be deprived of such wonderful things as the TSA, Bag searches at Disneyland, Suitcases being lawfully destroyed for your protection.

I don't believe they restrict anyones activities beyond their own declared conditions of carriage. They don't prevent adults enjoying alcoholic beverages, they simply insist that those beverages consumed onboard are purchased from their own specified outlet points.

Understand, I am not strongly advocating their position, however I do understand the multi level rationale behind this part of the contract.

I want to preface my reply with my thanks for continuing to state your position in a polite, respectful manner! Sadly, all too often the posters who are "against" booze smuggling can't seem to help themselves from sinking into the typical depths of insults and hostility towards us "smugglers". Can I tell you how refreshing it is to have this discussion with someone who can do so respectfully and intelligently? :) This has been a wonderful, and highly unusual, booze thread!

Now I have to dive into the part that I disagree with. (Of course! ;)) I disagree with your assertion that their policy doesn't "prevent adults from enjoying alcoholic beverages, they simply insist that those beverages consumed aboard are purchased" from them.

The issue is that they don't sell what we want to drink! It may officially be "wine", but I'm sorry, those of us who actually know something about wine wouldn't be caught dead drinking a Berringer white zindfandel if we were starving in the desert. (<-- that's hyperbole, of course - just to head off the anti-booze-smuggling bullies from attacking me for it.) But I'm NOT kidding when I say that I would choose iced tea over most of what they sell on board RCI ships. And there we are, in some of the best wine regions in the world, having just purchased vintages that I've been studying and reading about, and perhaps sampled at a delightful Enoteca in an ancient hill town in Tuscany - and I can't drink it until I get home, or off the ship? I can't sip my personal, legal purchases in the privacy of my bedroom, that I've paid thousands of dollars to live in for 13 days? The fact is, their policy DOES prevent me from enjoying alcoholic beverages - because they don't sell what I drink.

Anyway, that's the part I disagree with. What I DO agree with you about is that their rationale for their booze policies probably IS multileveled, and based on various things including liability and lawsuits - but primarily, IMO, on increasing profits by creating a monopoly on our booze dollars. And that's what I object to. I would also object if they somehow insisted that I had to use ONLY their excursions, or banned toothpaste and insisted I only buy what they sell on the ship, or insisted that we purchase all our jewelry from their shops. They have no more right to insist that I buy my booze from them, then those other items.

And since they seem to think they do, I have written them off my list. But I'll will say that if I happen to find myself in a situation where they are the only game in town for a particular itinerary that I absolutely have to have - I will cruise them, and cheerfully smuggle. And I won't spend a dime in their bars - just on principle. ;)

LeeAnne, thanks for standing up for us wine snobs! I will say, that the policy has failed to stop me from sailing RCI, but it does make me uncomfortable because of this thuggish policy. Fortunately, my experience has been that a bottle or many bottles or rumrunners in my luggage has gotten to my cabin each and every time I have sailed. If they take my wine and hold it for me until the end of the cruise, I won't be happy, but I don't have any rational reason to be mad at RCI. If they were to deny me boarding (which by the way I can't believe anyone has not played that card yet in this thread) I will get more than my money's worth out of publically humilating them for this policy. I am a mature adult and I am legal to possess alcohol and if they become a law unto themselves then they are a lot dumber than I believe them to be. If you are 20 or less then this is a completely different issue. I probably would not try to bring alcohol on board during spring break or summer when the kiddies are out of school, but even then as a mature adult. Of course, I avoid those sailings like the plague, and wouldn't be found with or without alcohol on one of those sailings. I really don't think any major thing would ever result from bringing a legal product with me. Remember if you don't use rumrunners, you must use a waterproof float bag. I never leave home without one.

peace and love

jc

Jc, you could have taken those words right out of my mouth. (Or my keyboard!) Exactly how I feel.

Archived