Best Money Belt

OK, you've helped me out in finding the best maps out there, what about the best and most comfortable money belt?? My husband doesn't wear any jewerly and hates even wearing a watch, so we're looking for a belt

that's very comfortable and easy to get at.

Kathy

OK, you've helped me out in finding the best maps out there, what about the best and most comfortable money belt?? My husband doesn't wear any jewerly and hates even wearing a watch, so we're looking for a belt

Kathy

Here are two that are worth looking at.

http://www.rei.com/product/650675

http://www.rei.com/product/736041

I tried both and went with the Victorinox. It has two pockets with zippers to seperate stuff like cash/passports. It could carry more, and felt better built of the bunch. If you stuff it full of cash, passports, you can't avoid having it feel a bit uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what you mean easy to get at. If it is easy to get at, it'll be easy for the pickpocketers too ;) There isn't any way around that, pulling out a thick belt from underneath your pants to get a wadd of cash :o

As to comfort, it isn't uncomfortable but in no ways comfortable and unintrusive either. With 6 passports and $8K you were always aware it was there, but that is actually a good thing as you were very aware of your valuables :D

I would also suggest using the one that goes around the neck.

Keith

I agree with the one that goes around the neck and you can put it under your shirt. Easily accessible to you and security.

I purchased a Rick Steve's one that you wear around your waist in 1996. Upon tranferring in Frankfurt, going through Security, the gal grabbed at my middle and asked "what's this" I reponded lowly "my money belt" she repeated in the loudest voice imaginable, "0h you're wearing a money belt". I thanked her for letting everyone in the airport know that. Since that time, I wear the neck one.

If it's just money and credit cards you want to carry, this worked great for me at $6.95! http://www.travelwares.com/Bra_Stash_p/a1130004f.htm

We never take our passports off the ship, DH carries a copy in his wallet, so this was just great. Very comfortable, doesn't show, and a quick pop into a restroom and you have cash in hand.

It made my trip much more enjoyable since I wasn't constantly looking out for marauders! This company also has a nice selection of hidden wallets too.

Cathy

We never take our passports off the ship, DH carries a copy in his wallet, so this was just great.

In some ports you MUST take your passport or risk fine (Dubrovnk) or not even allowed out of the port area. (Egypt) So, the bra bag would not work.

I like the over the neck one. I find it easier to use.

It depends on what you want. Lots of "money belts" are thin belt pouches designed to be worn under your slacks.

If you want a "true" money belt (one that is designed for money ONLY) try REI or Travelsmith. Look for the "Eagle Creek" brand. (I am wearing one at the moment) It is a nylon web belt with a cloth zippered patch attched to the inside. You have to undo the belt to get to the zipper and the cash, but it is very secure and unobtrusive (you will have to fold the bills to make them fit). Also it is totally non-metalic so you dont need to take it off when going through Airport metal detectors.

(You could also search Eagle Creek belts online, I believe they do sell direct)

If you want to carry more than cash, i.e. passports, credit cards etc I suggest either the neck pouchs or the samsonite belt/neck wallet available from most luggage stores.

Good Luck.

You need something big enough to hold your passport but with no metal to avoid, when you pass through the metal detectors of the Vatican or the Colosseum, to pull it out in front of everybody!!

Happened to me...:mad:

There a simple little "pocket" made by Eagle Creek that is simply attached onto your belt and is then tucked into the front of your pants. It has both a tan and dark loop and you use the one the most closely matches your belt or the belt loop of your pants. We also normally don't take Passport's off the ship, but when you need to, it's big enough for them. It's available through all of the on-line travel stores. I used it in Europe in October and was very pleased!

Here's a link to what it looks like:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV622R?Args=

Anybody ever use the Zip-it socks? I bought DH a pair for Christrmas and they are very well made and a nice weight for winter travel. The zip pocket in one of the socks is large and seems easier to access then something under clothes around the waist, especially in the winter when you have on several layers. Money and passports in it might be a bit bulky, but then I will have a neck pouch so we can split the valuables up.

You need something big enough to hold your passport but with no metal to avoid, when you pass through the metal detectors of the Vatican or the Colosseum, to pull it out in front of everybody!!

Happened to me...:mad:

The Eagle Creek neck pouch will solve that problem.:)

There a simple little "pocket" made by Eagle Creek that is simply attached onto your belt and is then tucked into the front of your pants. It has both a tan and dark loop and you use the one the most closely matches your belt or the belt loop of your pants. We also normally don't take Passport's off the ship, but when you need to, it's big enough for them. It's available through all of the on-line travel stores. I used it in Europe in October and was very pleased!

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Security_Wallets___Money_BeltsSV622R?Args=

Thanks for this link. I think DH might like this better! :)

For riding on planes, I always wear a shirt sold by TravelSmith that has two breast pockets with buttoned flaps. But, as with all TravelSmith garments, it also has secret pockets. Under the flap is a zipper. When unzipped, it gives access to a very deep pocket behind the breast pocket that not only fits (and safely hides) passports ... but it's also deep enough to hold your airline tickets without folding them.

They have several styles ... both short sleeved and long sleeved. Here's a link to an example:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=9470&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C251%2C257%2C313&iProductID=9470&sortBy=0

Kathy

My husband and I both invested in Travel Smith vests that have many zippered pockets. Some are large enough for passports. We use them on the plane and in most cities. Husband had had his pocket picked in Costa Rica and he is now much more careful. He puts some items in pockets that are secure but easy to reach. I, too, find them so much easier than carrying a purse. We also have some travel pants that have zipper pockets. There are many more choices for men when it comes to pants with secret pockets and their vests have more pockets than ours but mine work too.

I hope this helps.

I like the PacSafe around the neck pouch that goes under your clothing. My husband likes to wear a vest that has lots of inner and outer pockets, some with Velcro. My husband ends up with the camera, and when I need money, I usually turn to him because it is easier. If you have a chance, get a vest!

The Tilley vest is very helpful when travelling as it too has the many pockets and zippers and of course, the hidden pocket (s)

I wear the money belt (DH does too)

I wear pants with zipper pockets. I also made a little pack that I pinned into the waistband of my pants (so my money was there and in my moneybelt)

The best solution will be something you actually use. Make sure you go to a store that has them so you can try it on, whichever style you decide to go with, and make sure its something you'll be comfortable wearing. I know one person that had her bag stolen, but the money belt solution she chose wasn't comfortable to her so instead of wearing it, she had put it in the bag that was stolen. OOOPS!!!! For some people a vest is the best solution, for another the belts with the secret pockets, for others the neck pouches, etc.... Find what works best for you, maybe even wear it around before you leave to make sure you get used to it.

There a simple little "pocket" made by Eagle Creek that is simply attached onto your belt and is then tucked into the front of your pants.

We also use this one.

I found the waist style ones ride up

For what it is worth, I have a light money belt but, as an added precaution, use a couple of safety (nappy?) pins when actually -"in theatre" . I would like to carry a light weight gibbet for dealing with thieving scum but such an item seems to be a missed market opportunity.

I went with two money belts. Both of them I got on Rick Steve's website. One was an around the waist belt and the other was a neck pouch. Both fit fine, but I ended up hating them. The belt gets wet from sweat, and that is a fact. There is a plastic pouch included that would be needed if you carry your passport. Then I tried the neck pouch. Again, it worked well, but I still found it a hassle. I ended up just carrying my Sea Pass card, some money, and a credit card in my front pocket. I wore jeans, as it was October. We went all over Rome, including really crowded subways with no problem. The same in Athens, Naples, Florence, etc. After reading about pickpockets here, I was so freaked out and so wary. But I found the locals to be safe. I have never been to Barcelona, so it may be different. The only pickpockets (or unsavory people) we saw was on a train platform waiting for a train to Florence. Two men with a dog had people come up and pet the dog, an obvious chance to pickpocket. But within a few minutes, Italian police arrived and moved them along. All in all, I felt very safe. The same in London.

I went with two money belts. Both of them I got on Rick Steve's website. One was an around the waist belt and the other was a neck pouch. Both fit fine, but I ended up hating them. The belt gets wet from sweat, and that is a fact. There is a plastic pouch included that would be needed if you carry your passport. Then I tried the neck pouch. Again, it worked well, but I still found it a hassle. I ended up just carrying my Sea Pass card, some money, and a credit card in my front pocket. I wore jeans, as it was October. We went all over Rome, including really crowded subways with no problem. The same in Athens, Naples, Florence, etc. After reading about pickpockets here, I was so freaked out and so wary. But I found the locals to be safe. I have never been to Barcelona, so it may be different. The only pickpockets (or unsavory people) we saw was on a train platform waiting for a train to Florence. Two men with a dog had people come up and pet the dog, an obvious chance to pickpocket. But within a few minutes, Italian police arrived and moved them along. All in all, I felt very safe. The same in London.

You're right about the sweat. My technique: I carry no money or credit cards at all (but hubbie then must carry all); if I need a credit card or paper money, I stick it in my bra! My husband's technique used for the first time this trip to get away from the sweat issue: uses pants front pocket only, with his water bottle stuck on top of the other goodies.

Archived