Observation: How Threads Go Awry - Duty Calls (funny)

falkcor

So it used to surprise me at first, how some threads with seemingly simple and straightforward titles end up with hundreds of replies and sit at the top of the page all day…

Case in point gloriously illustrated today, the 5-10X ‘Carnival Eliminates Fuel Surcharges’ / ‘Fuel Surcharge Drop is a Rip-off!!!’, and even ‘Why are there so many FUEL threads’ threads…

But it’s also applicable to all those other hot button type threads here – titles like:

'Smoking question?' :confused:

'Can my minor son/daughter drink?'

'Can I / How do I smuggle on alcohol?' :D

'Can I bring (insert non-pg) to the pg party?'

'Missed port - shouldn't my cruise be free?' :mad:

'I didn't get an OBC #$%!'

'Can I wear jeans / t-shirt on formal night?' :eek:

You get it... Often these get totally off topic, often very quickly, and sometimes downright personal and nasty...

Well, I figured out how this happens – and it seems to pretty succinctly explain this phenomenon.

duty_calls.png

LOL. Look familiar? :cool: That made me laugh, and CC was the first thing I thought of, just thought I’d share…

Aptly, this comic is entitled 'Duty Calls'

http://xkcd.com/386/

(all in good fun, no offense or indictment intended)

I think that a Mod should make a read this first sticky on the thread with all these basic questions answered, PROPERLY! Not an opinion, just a correct answer. That would help cut down on the crap we have to sift through.

gill_boo, your "crap" may not be another person's "crap". I think people need to quit worrying about how many threads there are about a particular topic and just not read them. I basically ignore threads I have no interest in and post in those that I do. Just as conversations go off topic, threads do also. It's called conversation and it's part of life. This thread has no more real purpose, nor does it add any more value than any other thread.

I think that a Mod should make a read this first sticky on the thread with all these basic questions answered, PROPERLY! Not an opinion, just a correct answer. That would help cut down on the crap we have to sift through.

I agree - the fact these questions are posed so frequently are indicative of the fact that a good number of people are looking for exactly this info.

The key would be finding an appropriate balance between just boilerplate policy statements and personal experience / observation.

I thought the same thing when somebody recommended posting the 45 day letter info as a sticky, and the concensus said - well what about everything else... well, what about everything else? why not?

The key is the logistics of circumventing personal bias (as the cartoon would illustrate), and finding that happy medium.

The best I can think to ascertain such a perspective - is to have users / multiple persons write entries, and then have even more people select the best.

This thread has no more real purpose, nor does it add any more value than any other thread.

It wasn't explictly intended too... It was supposed to be a funny observation - a joke, one that made me laugh, and I thought other people might also enjoy.

I thought I made that clear by stating it was an 'Observation' and (funny).

I'll tell you I really hestitated even posting anticipating possible immediate comments like this...

That's why I even noted (all in good fun, no offense or indictment intended), to be clear...

I guess you didn't laugh. :(

It wasn't explictly intended too... It was supposed to be a funny observation - a joke, one that made me laugh, and I thought other people might also enjoy.

I'll tell you I really hestitated even posting anticipating possible immediate comments like this...

That's why I even noted (all in good fun, no offense or indictment intended), to be clear...

Actually, I thought the CARTOON was funny, the rest not so much. gill_boo missed the point entirely though which is where my post was really directed. I also feel that if someone's feelings are going to be hurt by people they don't even know, they shouldn't bother posting online.

We live in a free country. This is a discussion board and yet, someone always gets wrapped around the axle because someone asks a question that's already been asked. HORRORS.

What I find even funnier is the competition. Someone will answer and then 3 or 4 people will answer with the exact same information. Why bother?

I did!!! ROFLMAO!!! TYVM!!:D

So it used to surprise me at first, how some threads with seemingly simple and straightforward titles end up with hundreds of replies and sit at the top of the page all day…

Case in point gloriously illustrated today, the 5-10X ‘Carnival Eliminates Fuel Surcharges’ / ‘Fuel Surcharge Drop is a Rip-off!!!’, and even ‘Why are there so many FUEL threads’ threads…

But it’s also applicable to all those other hot button type threads here – titles like:

'Smoking question?' :confused:

'Can my minor son/daughter drink?'

'Can I / How do I smuggle on alcohol?' :D

'Can I bring (insert non-pg) to the pg party?'

'Missed port - shouldn't my cruise be free?' :mad:

'I didn't get an OBC #$%!'

'Can I wear jeans / t-shirt on formal night?' :eek:

You get it... Often these get totally off topic, often very quickly, and sometimes downright personal and nasty...

Well, I figured out how this happens – and it seems to pretty succinctly explain this phenomenon.

duty_calls.png

LOL. Look familiar? :cool: That made me laugh, and CC was the first thing I thought of, just thought I’d share…

well it is a funny post, thx

mike

Someone will answer and then 3 or 4 people will answer with the exact same information. Why bother?

Exactly. I don't care about the 27 pages of arguing about whether denim suits are the same as jeans. What I find is funny is, when the question in the OP is something like "Are jeans allowed on elegant night?" and the first response is "no", there will always be 6 or 7 more responses saying the same thing. I mean, the question has been answered. If you are just repeating what someone has already said, then you just have too much time on your hands.

Exactly. I don't care about the 27 pages of arguing about whether denim suits are the same as jeans. What I find is funny is, when the question in the OP is something like "Are jeans allowed on elegant night?" and the first response is "no", there will always be 6 or 7 more responses saying the same thing. I mean, the question has been answered. If you are just repeating what someone has already said, then you just have too much time on your hands.

yeah, but just consider, that there are 6 or 7 affirmative responses, and then 6 or 7 people saying the opposite...

example: 'can i smuggle on booze?'

6 or 7 people will say 'yes', 'yes, put it in your checked luggage luggage', 'yes, we use rum runners', 'yes, and beer too', 'yes, buy it at the port in san juan', 'yeah, i walked on with 5 bottles of wine!', and yet another 'vodka looks like water :)'

then 6 or 7 other people will say 'no', 'no, it is stealing', 'no, our cruise rates will go up', 'no, don't break the rules!', 'no, if you can't afford to buy drinks you shouldn't be cruising', 'no, it's morally wrong', and then the grand finale - 'no, it's morally wrong, it's stealing, you're cheap, it'll break in your luggage - and you deserve it!'

and then those 12-14 people all argue about it. and then 30 other people join in. and 10 of them post at least 10 times.

that's where the cartoon comes in ;)

gill_boo, your "crap" may not be another person's "crap". I think people need to quit worrying about how many threads there are about a particular topic and just not read them. I basically ignore threads I have no interest in and post in those that I do. Just as conversations go off topic, threads do also. It's called conversation and it's part of life. This thread has no more real purpose, nor does it add any more value than any other thread.

I guess you and I are proving the comic strips point.

"Someone is wrong on the internet" :eek:

yeah, but just consider, that there are 6 or 7 affirmative responses, and then 6 or 7 people saying the opposite...

example: 'can i smuggle on booze?'

6 or 7 people will say 'yes', 'yes, put it in your checked luggage luggage', 'yes, we use rum runners', 'yes, and beer too', 'yes, buy it at the port in san juan', 'yeah, i walked on with 5 bottles of wine!', and yet another 'vodka looks like water :)'

then 6 or 7 other people will say 'no', 'no, it is stealing', 'no, our cruise rates will go up', 'no, don't break the rules!', 'no, if you can't afford to buy drinks you shouldn't be cruising', 'no, it's morally wrong', and then the grand finale - 'no, it's morally wrong, it's stealing, you're cheap, it'll break in your luggage - and you deserve it!'

and then those 12-14 people all argue about it. and then 30 other people join in. and 10 of them post at least 10 times.

that's where the cartoon comes in ;)

That is what makes it fun...

Talking about what to wear in the dining room. I havent looked at the thread, but there was one on the RCL threads that I had to laugh at the title, can I wear black sneakers on formal night and get away with it. The thread was on page 3 last time I looked. These threads might be hot topics, but obviously people love to answer them.

Truthfully, I think that if 1. the search mode was up more often, and 2. people took the time to even try the search mode - many of the "repeat" threads would be gone/not started. BTW - I love the cartoon - gave me my Friday morning giggle! Thanks.

Like so one already said. The thread drifting and the original topic going awry is all part of teh fun of being here .

Haven't you ever had a group of friends or family all together and you start talking about one thing and the next thing you know you have segued into 10 different conversations. Finally someone says "How the hell did we get on this subject?" *LOL*

Its the natural way people converse and interact with eachother.

They've already tried that.

duty_calls.png

SO funny and so true! And, I'm sure I'm a repeat offender!!:D

Archived