Mini bars NO alcohol I am stumped please help!

Lushpuppy

Bottom Line - Is there a Mini Bar? Yes

Is it stocked with alcohol? No

No where does it say "Mini Bar stocked with alcohol?

If you want a drink go to one of the bars. That's what they're there for.

It's really not that complicated.

I've just glanced through some of the replies...and I think what her issue is...is that if she wants to entertain in her suite...is she suppose to tell people to BYOB? Sure, there are bars...but what if she'd like to have some spirits available in her cabin. I could be wrong, but she is questioning why they can't supply any liquor for her cabin...for a price of course.

OK, so it says that if you don't follow the "rules" and you try to bring your own spirits on board they can kick you off and not allow you to board....has anyone ever seen that happen, or had it happen to them??:confused:

OK, so it says that if you don't follow the "rules" and you try to bring your own spirits on board they can kick you off and not allow you to board....has anyone ever seen that happen, or had it happen to them??:confused:

On one of our recent cruises they made an announcement at about 5 pm on Day 1 that if your luggage had not been delivered to your room you should come to a certain area. Those who went were presented their luggage MINUS the booze which had been inside and found by x-ray and removed. They were told they told they were welcome to sail but that their names had been recorded and rules should be followed in the future. There were some sad, long-faced people dragging their suitcases to their rooms!

I've just glanced through some of the replies...and I think what her issue is...is that if she wants to entertain in her suite...is she suppose to tell people to BYOB? Sure, there are bars...but what if she'd like to have some spirits available in her cabin. I could be wrong, but she is questioning why they can't supply any liquor for her cabin...for a price of course.

The concierge can help arrange parties. Maybe that's the way to go.

On one of our recent cruises they made an announcement at about 5 pm on Day 1 that if your luggage had not been delivered to your room you should come to a certain area. Those who went were presented their luggage MINUS the booze which had been inside and found by x-ray and removed. They were told they told they were welcome to sail but that their names had been recorded and rules should be followed in the future. There were some sad, long-faced people dragging their suitcases to their rooms!

You aren't the first one that mentioned that they have a list for future cruises. If they try it again they should be put off.

I think we are dealing with semantics and language usage here. You can store wine/champagne/mixed drinks you bought from a bar/room service etc in your room. You cannot stock, or have RCI stock, a bar in your suite/room (regardless of what furniture/configuration/glassware there is) with bottles of vodka, rum, gin etc for you and your guests to have. As I understand it, you cannot buy this type of beverage in whole bottles anywhere on the ship so that is why I believe they say you cannot store alcohol in your cabin. It seems RCI is using "alcohol" to mean "liquor" and not including wine/champagne in that category. It seems that if you are entertaining, it may have to be BYOB or collective room service order or "bar run".

Big profit loss. Plain and simple.

I love Chamborde. Quite pricey to drink.

The price I can buy it for at the duty free shop-the bartender would not be seeing me at all if I could make my own!

I can't believe this rule, it seems rediculous. I thought only NCL had such harsh rules regarding bottles. RCCL is hardly a budget line (not for the price we get charged in the UK anyway)

I like to have a drink in my room without having to keep bothering the staff each time I want a glass of whisky or something.

It has never stopped me spending $1-2000 per cruise in the bars and shops, just because I have a drink while I get ready in the room. You would have to be seriously sad to stay in your room all the time just to save a few dollars!

It is a stupid rule that obviously causes unnecessary bad will towards the line. Cunard let you take a couple of bottles on board and in ports of call without having to hide it and feel like a criminal. And if you don't want to carry it on board you should be able to buy a bottle from the ship! where's the harm in that?

I'm going on the Explorer of the seas this weekend and seriously hope that they do not uphold such restrictive policies... regardless I will be spending big-style in the bars but it would be nice to be able to relax with a G&T on my balcony.

It will be my first and last RCCL if that is the case.

It is a stupid rule that obviously causes unnecessary bad will towards the line. Cunard let you take a couple of bottles on board and in ports of call without having to hide it and feel like a criminal. And if you don't want to carry it on board you should be able to buy a bottle from the ship! where's the harm in that?

I'm going on the Explorer of the seas this weekend and seriously hope that they do not uphold such restrictive policies... regardless I will be spending big-style in the bars but it would be nice to be able to relax with a G&T on my balcony.

It will be my first and last RCCL if that is the case.

I agree. I admit, I've always smuggled 1 bottle of wine on board so that I can have a glass before dinner. My room steward has always been great for me and kept it on ice for the duration of the cruise. For this upcoming cruise...I am not. I really don't want to get called to the naughty room. I'll have flash backs of high school.

It's one of the reasons we don't sail RCCL anymore. Celebrity and HAL both have spirits packages you can pre purchase. Cunard allows you to buy a bottle at a bar and take it to your room. For Queens Grills guests, they have a free bar set up with two bottles of spirits of your choice which are replentished as you finish them.

There is no WRITTEN policy on the website or in the contract. Just because it is not written anywhere does not mean it is not the policy of RCCL. No alcohol in bottles in the cabins is RCCL policy. Because of this policy you can not purchase bottled alcohol on board for consumption in your cabin, nor can you bring it on board with you at the beginning of your cruise or when returningfrom port.

Keith

If she wants to entertain in her suite...........as we do from time to time, she can have a full supply of liquor.........anything that she wants, with a bartender and cart.

I guess since she has the RS.......she can afford anything that she wants, and Royal Caribbean will provide it.

The concierge will get everything that you need..........you just need to pay for it.

They will set up a full service bar, with bartender.....for about $70.00 per person........for 1 to 1 -1/2 hours. You need to also pay for the bartender. Food is extra.

If you booked the RS because you thought that you could have all kinds of liquor in your cabin...........you better downgrade.......because it will not happen.

What you paid for..........is alot of extra real estate..........and some very nice perks.......as other suite members enjoy.

If you booked it because of the mini bar.........thinking that you are allowed to have hard liquor in your mini bar.........you probably have not sailed on Royal Caribbean in the last few years.

I wish you the best in your quest for RCCL allowing you to have liquor in your cabin.

Rick

I agree with the OP. We had the same situation. We booked a suite where the description included the words 'mini-bar'.

Definition from Wikipedia

A mini-bar is a small, private snack and beverage bar often found in upscale Western-style hotel rooms.

Typically, a mini-bar comes in the form of a counter and small refrigerator stocked with a precise inventory. The room's guests can take a beverage or snack at any time during their stay. The bar is commonly stocked with small bottles of alcoholic beverages, juice, and soft drinks as well as candy (sweets), cookies (sweet biscuits).

It wasn't until after we booked we found out that the 'mini-bar' only contained soft drinks and snacks.

In every hotel and cruise ship I have stayed in (Europe and USA) where there has been a mini-bar it has been stocked with small bottles of alcohol.

What we did was pre-buy the wine package to have the bottles in our cabin. There was no problem with this.

One point to note is that mini-bar is definitely not a fridge and will not cool a bottle of wine. You will need an ice bucket for this.

As a matter of interest here is a photo of the Royal Suite on Navigator showing the bar with chairs. I would think it a fair assumption that when booking such a cabin that alcoholic drinks would be available.

PICT0798.jpg

I agree with the OP. We had the same situation. We booked a suite where the description included the words 'mini-bar'.

Definition from Wikipedia

A mini-bar is a small, private snack and beverage bar often found in upscale Western-style hotel rooms.

Typically, a mini-bar comes in the form of a counter and small refrigerator stocked with a precise inventory. The room's guests can take a beverage or snack at any time during their stay. The bar is commonly stocked with small bottles of alcoholic beverages, juice, and soft drinks as well as candy (sweets), cookies (sweet biscuits).

It wasn't until after we booked we found out that the 'mini-bar' only contained soft drinks and snacks.

In every hotel and cruise ship I have stayed in (Europe and USA) where there has been a mini-bar it has been stocked with small bottles of alcohol.

What we did was pre-buy the wine package to have the bottles in our cabin. There was no problem with this.

One point to note is that mini-bar is definitely not a fridge and will not cool a bottle of wine. You will need an ice bucket for this.

As a matter of interest here is a photo of the Royal Suite on Navigator showing the bar with chairs. I would think it a fair assumption that when booking such a cabin that alcoholic drinks would be available.

PICT0798.jpg

Great picture!!

I must say.......that if you are booking Royal Caribbean........and know of Cruise Critic..............you will know the answer!!

If you want to use your bar in the RS.............look for my last answer......and you can have your own bartender there every night.

On a 14 day cruise with only 4 outside guests per night.....including the two of you........your bill at the end of the cruise.......for the bar.......would look something...........like........something around $6,000 dollars.

For that kind of money........you might want to check with some other cruise lines............Add the RS figure.......plus $6,000.00 and it will put you on some wonderful 6 star cruise lines..........with liquor provided.

Quid pro Ko.

Rick

Great picture!!

I must say.......that if you are booking Royal Caribbean........and know of Cruise Critic..............you will know the answer!!

If you want to use your bar in the RS.............look for my last answer......and you can have your own bartender there every night.

On a 14 day cruise with only 4 outside guests per night.....including the two of you........your bill at the end of the cruise.......for the bar.......would look something...........like........something around $6,000 dollars.

For that kind of money........you might want to check with some other cruise lines............Add the RS figure.......plus $6,000.00 and it will put you on some wonderful 6 star cruise lines..........with liquor provided.

Quid pro Ko.

Rick

I did not discover Cruise Critic until after I booked so I did not know what their mini-bar would contain.

We had another RCI cruise booked in January (booked before taking NOTS cruise) but because of this and other issues we have now cancelled. Because we book through the UK, we lost our deposit.

Lush:

I have three words for you..... Princess Cruise Lines.

THEY allow wine and champagne to be brought onboard at embarkation, to enjoy in your cabin, or (for a corkage fee) in the main dining room.

We do this always.

THEY have "mini-bars" (with alcohol) in all refrigerators, available for purchase in every category of cabin.

AND.....

THEY provide their full suite guests with a complimentary mini-bar set-up (eight drinks with mixers) upon arrival to your cabin. The initial set-up may be switched out for anything of your choice (ie more gin, all scotch, only wine, etc) and this "bar" may be replenished (for a fee) throughout your cruise.

Princess Cruise Line treats their passengers as the responsible adults that they are, and for that, we have become loyal to them. We currently have a GS booked on the Jewel of the Seas, and if anyone so much as gives me a second look about "storing alcohol" in my expensive suite, I can guarandamntee you it will be my VERY last cruise on RCCL.

Julia I agree with you and would still be using the Princess but they took their ship out of Galveston where I like to board since I can drive there. Now I will have to fly to FL. I loved the Princess. They treat you like adults.

Many use rumrunners (RR) which are durable plastic bags made to hold liquids with a pouring spout. They are quite similar to the bags used in box wine but smaller. You can google rumrunners and get the website. They ship very quickly measured in days. I honestly believe they are a 24 hour operation and they are inexpensive. You pour your desired liquid into the RR, screw the cap on tight and put it in your checked luggage. According to what I have read on CC, no one has ever been caught by RCL. They are looking for bottles. I used them on my last voyage and they did not leak.

Your chances of bringing a bottle of refreshment onboard in your checked luggage is excellent. Some do get caught occasionally but the vast majority do not. They have to scan 3000+ bags for a ship holding 3000 pax in a matter of a few hours. They do not have the time that the airport TSA has with your carryon. Spread your bottles or RR between all your checked luggage and the odds of losing it all is much less.

When I was reboarding in Aruba in September on the AOS, the young man (20's and legal) in front of me had two bottles of liquor in the plastic bag they gave him. He put them on the belt, went through the metal detector and they handed him his bag of liquor. They said nothing and they did not have a liquor table set up to collect any bottles being brought onboard. He was a happy man at that point as he went to his stateroom with his booty.

I brought a bottle of rum onboard in Cozumel in my daypack and they did not say a word. I claimed my daypack and went to my stateroom. I have read innumerable posts on CC where pax have simply bypassed the liquor table when reboarding and went to their stateroom. No one tried to stop them.

There have been posts on CC where unlucky pax were called to the "naughty room" and their spirits were confiscated. But no one has posted that they were denied boarding. Usually by the time they call pax to the "naughty room" the ship has already left port. As long as you do not challenge them, they are not going to put you off at the next port. Recording your names is an intimidation move and probably has no merit. Personally one trip to the "naughty room" would be the last time RCL ever got my money again.

Julia I agree with you and would still be using the Princess but they took their ship out of Galveston where I like to board since I can drive there. Now I will have to fly to FL. I loved the Princess. They treat you like adults.

Many use rumrunners (RR) which are durable plastic bags made to hold liquids with a pouring spout. They are quite similar to the bags used in box wine but smaller. You can google rumrunners and get the website. They ship very quickly measured in days. I honestly believe they are a 24 hour operation and they are inexpensive. You pour your desired liquid into the RR, screw the cap on tight and put it in your checked luggage. According to what I have read on CC, no one has ever been caught by RCL. They are looking for bottles. I used them on my last voyage and they did not leak.

Your chances of bringing a bottle of refreshment onboard in your checked luggage is excellent. Some do get caught occasionally but the vast majority do not. They have to scan 3000+ bags for a ship holding 3000 pax in a matter of a few hours. They do not have the time that the airport TSA has with your carryon. Spread your bottles or RR between all your checked luggage and the odds of losing it all is much less.

When I was reboarding in Aruba in September on the AOS, the young man (20's and legal) in front of me had two bottles of liquor in the plastic bag they gave him. He put them on the belt, went through the metal detector and they handed him his bag of liquor. They said nothing and they did not have a liquor table set up to collect any bottles being brought onboard. He was a happy man at that point as he went to his stateroom with his booty.

I brought a bottle of rum onboard in Cozumel in my daypack and they did not say a word. I claimed my daypack and went to my stateroom. I have read innumerable posts on CC where pax have simply bypassed the liquor table when reboarding and went to their stateroom. No one tried to stop them.

There have been posts on CC where unlucky pax were called to the "naughty room" and their spirits were confiscated. But no one has posted that they were denied boarding. Usually by the time they call pax to the "naughty room" the ship has already left port. As long as you do not challenge them, they are not going to put you off at the next port. Recording your names is an intimidation move and probably has no merit. Personally one trip to the "naughty room" would be the last time RCL ever got my money again.

OH the Naughty Room a place no one wants to be......but you can be invited down for things other than Alcohol.........

How can food be extra? :confused:

If you want trays of food there is a charge. We've done it before and had to pay. The concierge is a godsend for this kind of entertainment. When we did it I really didn't know how to go about it and he handled it all. Wine & food showed up and was billed to our seapass.

We also did it on Celebrity when we had a Sky Suite. The difference - the butler was there to give white glove service. Wonderful~!!!!

Lush:

I have three words for you..... Princess Cruise Lines.

THEY allow wine and champagne to be brought onboard at embarkation, to enjoy in your cabin, or (for a corkage fee) in the main dining room.

We do this always.

THEY have "mini-bars" (with alcohol) in all refrigerators, available for purchase in every category of cabin.

AND.....

THEY provide their full suite guests with a complimentary mini-bar set-up (eight drinks with mixers) upon arrival to your cabin. The initial set-up may be switched out for anything of your choice (ie more gin, all scotch, only wine, etc) and this "bar" may be replenished (for a fee) throughout your cruise.

Princess Cruise Line treats their passengers as the responsible adults that they are, and for that, we have become loyal to them. We currently have a GS booked on the Jewel of the Seas, and if anyone so much as gives me a second look about "storing alcohol" in my expensive suite, I can guarandamntee you it will be my VERY last cruise on RCCL.

You beat me too it. RCI is the worst for this stupid policy and it's about time it treated it's paying guests as adults.

If she wants to entertain in her suite...........as we do from time to time, she can have a full supply of liquor.........anything that she wants, with a bartender and cart.

I guess since she has the RS.......she can afford anything that she wants, and Royal Caribbean will provide it.

The concierge will get everything that you need..........you just need to pay for it.

They will set up a full service bar, with bartender.....for about $70.00 per person........for 1 to 1 -1/2 hours. You need to also pay for the bartender. Food is extra.

If you booked the RS because you thought that you could have all kinds of liquor in your cabin...........you better downgrade.......because it will not happen.

What you paid for..........is alot of extra real estate..........and some very nice perks.......as other suite members enjoy.

If you booked it because of the mini bar.........thinking that you are allowed to have hard liquor in your mini bar.........you probably have not sailed on Royal Caribbean in the last few years.

I wish you the best in your quest for RCCL allowing you to have liquor in your cabin.

Rick

NO, we didnt book a suite for drinks, just assumed (wrongly I guess) that booking such an expensive suite, a stocked mini bar was not even a question. Thanks to another lady on here, she has mailed me data about organising parties etc (think you may have been to one of them Rick!), but its really the sort of minor entertaining I am referring to. I think its awful to have to call room service for a measure of spirit, apart from anything else, from a food safety point of view, I want to see my drink poured fresh! Not brought up in an open glass in an elevator. I do think this is one thing RCCL are hiding in their marketing. Its like Celebrity keeping the smoking scenario small print in their brochure. This drink thing with RCCI is pretty low class. I can understand it when kids etc are in the room, perhaps some kind of security would be needed. But two adults, a couple for Gods sake, in ANY cabin not just the Royal Suite, should have access to drinks which they are happy to pay for. We personally dont drink spirits, but I know when my MIL calls by, I will want to offer her our national drink on the rocks! And my niece a Vodka Tonic.. On celebrity, suites of course have Butlers and the Butler does absolutely everything for you. But have seen us having a late night party and have used the mini bar instead of disturbing the butler or room service. And no, I dont see why having paid a fortune for a beautiful suite which is meant for entertaining, that we have to run down to bars etc.. it just seems absolutely crazy! What I have come up with so far, is that I take two nice little decanter bottles with me, buy several measures from the bar, and fill the decanters. Its the only thing I can come up with. That and my husbands flask from his sporran:D (That can hold a few tipples;)) I cant be even bothered to go down the "smuggling" route..just not my style!

It is pretty naff though isnt it for a beautiful suite not to have access to a drinks cabinet. Tacky and totally 2 star. Sure, if we throw a party we will do the bartender bit, but not every darn night! I am STILL waiting on a response from RCI. if it wasnt for this forum I would know very very little indeed.

Thanks all!:)

NO, we didnt book a suite for drinks, just assumed (wrongly I guess) that booking such an expensive suite, a stocked mini bar was not even a question. Thanks to another lady on here, she has mailed me data about organising parties etc (think you may have been to one of them Rick!), but its really the sort of minor entertaining I am referring to. I think its awful to have to call room service for a measure of spirit, apart from anything else, from a food safety point of view, I want to see my drink poured fresh! Not brought up in an open glass in an elevator. I do think this is one thing RCCL are hiding in their marketing. Its like Celebrity keeping the smoking scenario small print in their brochure. This drink thing with RCCI is pretty low class. I can understand it when kids etc are in the room, perhaps some kind of security would be needed. But two adults, a couple for Gods sake, in ANY cabin not just the Royal Suite, should have access to drinks which they are happy to pay for. We personally dont drink spirits, but I know when my MIL calls by, I will want to offer her our national drink on the rocks! And my niece a Vodka Tonic.. On celebrity, suites of course have Butlers and the Butler does absolutely everything for you. But have seen us having a late night party and have used the mini bar instead of disturbing the butler or room service. And no, I dont see why having paid a fortune for a beautiful suite which is meant for entertaining, that we have to run down to bars etc.. it just seems absolutely crazy! What I have come up with so far, is that I take two nice little decanter bottles with me, buy several measures from the bar, and fill the decanters. Its the only thing I can come up with. That and my husbands flask from his sporran:D (That can hold a few tipples;)) I cant be even bothered to go down the "smuggling" route..just not my style!

It is pretty naff though isnt it for a beautiful suite not to have access to a drinks cabinet. Tacky and totally 2 star. Sure, if we throw a party we will do the bartender bit, but not every darn night! I am STILL waiting on a response from RCI. if it wasnt for this forum I would know very very little indeed.

Thanks all!:)

I hope you enjoy your cruise Lush...I remember how excited you were when your husband surprised you. I'm sure everything will be fabulous.

Oh Thank you:)

This is what I came up with

http://www.superprod.com/product/834698.do?cid=shopping.com_834698

I ordered four of these. They each hold half a pint, so will fill with gin, vodka, scotch and brandy from the bar. They will lok nicer than paper cups in our bar I think. I take it the mini bar has sodas and we can get ice. These seem lightweight for luggage and ubreakable. I will also keep receipts handy for bar purchases! At least this way, I have a few measures on hand for visitors.

Me..ahhhhhhh a good few bottles of bubbly and I will be quite happy:D

Oh Thank you:)

This is what I came up with

http://www.superprod.com/product/834698.do?cid=shopping.com_834698

I ordered four of these. They each hold half a pint, so will fill with gin, vodka, scotch and brandy from the bar. They will lok nicer than paper cups in our bar I think. I take it the mini bar has sodas and we can get ice. These seem lightweight for luggage and ubreakable. I will also keep receipts handy for bar purchases! At least this way, I have a few measures on hand for visitors.

Me..ahhhhhhh a good few bottles of bubbly and I will be quite happy:D

Sounds like a plan to me!

Archived