Websites for evening gowns size zero and larger sizes

momofmeg

My daughter is to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in May. Here is the dilemma. She is a size zero - and as she is 5'1" she takes a petite. The other girls are a variety of sizes from 6 to 16, the other girls are 5'5" and over so none of the others are petite.

Any suggestions as to where they can find matching gowns?

How about finding a pattern that works for everyone, then having the dresses made? That's what I did many years ago. It also meant that we could select fabric and a style that everyone would wear again, instead of being stuck with dresses that clearly look like they're intended for a wedding!

Hi,:) try David's Bridal. They have all sizes and colors.

My suggestion too. They also have separates that you can get all in the same color but with different skirts and tops to suit everyone. I tried to get my SIL to go for this idea last year when I was the plus size MoH and with the size 4 to 8 bridesmaids.

09s-2.jpg

Yes, we knew about David's Bridal-we were just trying to find enough choices that the bride could pick out gowns that she likes and wants her bridesmaids to wear. The more sites we can find-the more she has to choose from and the less stress on her.

I seem to remember someone posting that Dillards will send for gowns from other stores. that may be the best choice-in order for the bride to see the gowns on all of the girls. We know the smallest Dillards carries is a 2, (in misses-juniors has smaller-but all these girls are in their 20's so no juniors) however my daughter is willing to pay to have the gown altered if the choice makes the bride happy. She feels because she is so tiny that that is no reason to make it hard on the others and she does not want the bride to "settle" on something she hates-in order for a gown to be found that fits my daughter.

Oh well, hopefully they will find something that the bride likes soon-and one less stress for her.

If anyone else have ideas -please post.

Hi: I hear your concerns, I also have a size 0 daughter who is 5'1. sigh!!! Trips to the mall can be interesting. She is 20.

I helped photograph a wedding this summer where all the bridemaids wore black. There were 8 attendants, all shapes and sizes. The bride had them pick out a cocktail length dress suited to their size etc. There was a nursing mom, the tiny girls, and the talls etc. They looked wonderful and so did the photos. I thought this was a great idea and the dress could be worn again.

Hi: I hear your concerns' date=' I also have a size 0 daughter who is 5'1. sigh!!! Trips to the mall can be interesting. She is 20.

I helped photograph a wedding this summer where all the bridemaids wore black. There were 8 attendants, all shapes and sizes. The bride had them pick out a cocktail length dress suited to their size etc. There was a nursing mom, the tiny girls, and the talls etc. They looked wonderful and so did the photos. I thought this was a great idea and the dress could be worn again.[/quote']

We have thought of that-and I think it is a god idea but I guess it is up to the bride. We did find at David's bridal one style of dress which came in a wide range of sizes. the smallest was a 2 but my daughter uses a great seamstress.

Yes, it is hard for my daughter to buy anything, and most of the time, things still have to be altered. she hates clothes shopping- she loves looking at music and book stores and shops like Claire's when she goes to the mall. Those type places she does not have to worry about fit.

Most young women love clothes shopping. Of course they can find clothes that fit.

J.Crew has bridesmaids dresses in both regular and petites sizes. Petites go down to a size 0 and regular to a 16 I believe. I can speak more to the petites personally.

Also, try Nordstroms as many of their evening styles also come in petites, usually down to a 0 or 2 (they do free alterations if it's full price).

In terms of bridal lines, most of the regular lines should be able to accommodate that range of sizes in bridesmaid dresses. She may have to order the smallest size and have it altered but it should be doable. I have never had any trouble having evening wear taken in.

J.Crew has bridesmaids dresses in both regular and petites sizes. Petites go down to a size 0 and regular to a 16 I believe. I can speak more to the petites personally.

Also, try Nordstroms as many of their evening styles also come in petites, usually down to a 0 or 2 (they do free alterations if it's full price).

In terms of bridal lines, most of the regular lines should be able to accommodate that range of sizes in bridesmaid dresses. She may have to order the smallest size and have it altered but it should be doable. I have never had any trouble having evening wear taken in.

Yes, Meg uses a seamstress regularly. It does seem that evening wear-(because it is lined) is the most expensive-it usually runs her close to $100. She is already VERY aware of that expense! That is the main reason she will repeat gowns on cruises.

• 3 weeks later...

The bride picked a dress from David's Bridal. Meg is going to an Atlanta area store-they have a size 2 in black-the bride picked yellow-but she can get a "feel" on what will need to be done to make it fit her-the smallest it comes in is 2.

Since David's will do alterations also-she will have it altered at the store after she orders it through them.

• 2 weeks later...

Give them some criteria and let each pick their own...I got married in May and had 5 bridesmaids: One overweight, 2 6ft tall, 1 5ft and no curves, and another that has the traditional hourglass figure.

I told them I wanted a long silk lilac gown at David's Bridal. They had about twenty dresses to choose from, it turned out each had a different dress, which looked great on them.

A good suggestion if the color needs to be an exact match is Alfred Angelo. The bride can pick a color and the girls can pick there own dress in that color. They have many styles and the girls can get a style thatworks for them.

Give them some criteria and let each pick their own...I got married in May and had 5 bridesmaids: One overweight, 2 6ft tall, 1 5ft and no curves, and another that has the traditional hourglass figure.

I told them I wanted a long silk lilac gown at David's Bridal. They had about twenty dresses to choose from, it turned out each had a different dress, which looked great on them.

My daughter is one of six bridesmaids, and not the bride- and so it was not her choice. She tired not to complain too much as the bride had a dilly of a time picking a dress out- as she was trying to make all of the bridesmaids happy. (some said no strapless, some said no low cut,etc. etc.)

My daughter does not particularly care for the bride's choice-however it was only $90-so she won't complain. She feels like the poor girl has had enough stress and grief already from some of the other bridesmaids.

The dress is a sleeveless sheath style dress and is knee length. It has a 60's Audrey Hepburn/Jackie Kennedy "look" to it. My daughter was able to try on a size 2 in brown- (bride's color is bight yellow)-and it only needed to be taken up slightly in the shoulders, and also the arm holes were a little big. An easy fix!

Yes, we knew about David's Bridal-we were just trying to find enough choices that the bride could pick out gowns that she likes and wants her bridesmaids to wear. The more sites we can find-the more she has to choose from and the less stress on her.

Any good bridal store should be able to help. You might check in to the Watters&Watters lines, which while they cost more than David's, the quality as well as the look is so much nicer, IMO. Here is a shot of my daughter's bridesmaids The dresses are all made to order and sized correctly. I loved the weight of this dress in dupioni silk.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33bi9g5.jpg

http://watters.com/indexNoFlash.php

Archived