UK Cruisers Fuel Surcharge

yorky

A few weeks ago when I upgraded to an outside cabin I only had to pay £14 instead of £140 (for two of us) .The travel agent was told that this was because of the fuel charge refund .We are travelling in February on the Star Princess to Antartica -can't wait !!!:)

We are travelling on Diamond Princess from Sydney in February and our fuel surcharge was deducted on final payment yesterday. We were informed that they had so many to do which was why it had not been taken off the online account. Just mention it when paying!

Maddie

UK cruisers do not pay a fuel surcharge! if you go to book online at Princess it tells you. I also seem to recall it being in their news section as well.

When we booked it did include a fuel surcharge.

UK cruisers do not pay a fuel surcharge! if you go to book online at Princess it tells you. I also seem to recall it being in their news section as well.

I paid final invoice 20th Dec for our Feb holiday, TA said the fuel charge will be added to onboard credit along with our future cruise. Check your booking invoice the fuel was added as a sundry item above the tax. I think it varies dependant when you booked

Was at my TA today and present when he was on telephone to Princess Cruises who said that they will either reconfirm bookings with reduction for the fuel supplement, or credit onboard accounts, depending on dates of departure.

They say that all customers who paid the fuel supplement for forthcoming cruises will be recompensated either way.

Did your Ta tell you the amount ? We are cruise only as we prefer to travel a route and flight times of our choosing so we will have less than you, but every little helps with the $ v £ so low:eek:

Yes they sent me a new Princess invoice showing obc.

About $1.40 to £1.00 but nothing we can do about it

Hi - I hadn't realised about this until I read it on the boards (refunds etc) - I see these things as annoyingly unavoidable - however, final payments made a few weeks ago (booked direct) and the online booking summary is showing a shipboard credit against fuel:)

Me and my family are sailing on the 4th April 2009 on the sea princess and final payment date is coming up! we got a letter from our TA the other day saying £33 per person had been taken off the original price of the holiday! not alot but better than nothing! :)

Did your Ta tell you the amount ? We are cruise only as we prefer to travel a route and flight times of our choosing so we will have less than you, but every little helps with the $ v £ so low:eek:

The fuel surcharge was a surcharge that had been charged for the cruise only.

Your air arrangements, either by yourself or via Princess, have nothing to do with it.

We travel on sea princess in April and have been told by TA that we will be getting £60pp refund off our total price.

I have asked to change from inside to outside cabin been told got to pay £650 per couple. If I cancel loose my £240 dep I can re book a outside cabin on a slightly different cruise and it will only be £500 including lost deposit. Intersting that someone could change at a cost of £14. Was this booked via TA or direct?

fiona... it appears that UK cruisers get a Raw Deal when it comes to what you describe, unlike those who live in the USA!! on our cruise in November on the Ruby one of our group from the USA Cancelled their booking picked another cabin on another deck and got it for less and with no surcharge!

When this came up a couple of weeks ago I phoned Princess UK and was told that $126 each person had been credited to our account. We go on Sea Princess on Saturday. I think it depends when you booked. We booked late October.

Of course if the price of oil suddenly goes up again we will lose it.

We travel on sea princess in April and have been told by TA that we will be getting £60pp refund off our total price.

I have asked to change from inside to outside cabin been told got to pay £650 per couple. If I cancel loose my £240 dep I can re book a outside cabin on a slightly different cruise and it will only be £500 including lost deposit. Intersting that someone could change at a cost of £14. Was this booked via TA or direct?

The cruise was booked via TA.We upgraded from an outside cabin with an obstructed view on Emerald Deck to and outside cabin on Plaza deck with an unobstructed view -total cost for two £140 but with fuel charge refund £14 . hope that explains a little better.

Hi Yorky

I telephoned TA. Was told that those travelling 2nd week in January are not eligible but she thinks February departures will benefit and that it will be in the form of OBC. She wasn't 100% certain though, and reading previous posts it contradicts what some have already confirmed.

We travel 25 Jan so I guess it is much dependant on if the price stays down and if we fall into the "so many days" category.

I think it will be "wait and see". I'll post on my return.

Regards

Glenda

Hi Yorky

I telephoned TA. Was told that those traveling 2nd week in January are not eligible but she thinks February departures will benefit and that it will be in the form of OBC. She wasn't 100% certain though, and reading previous posts it contradicts what some have already confirmed.

We travel 25 Jan so I guess it is much dependant on if the price stays down and if we fall into the "so many days" category.

I think it will be "wait and see". I'll post on my return.

Regards

Glenda

Hi Pretenda

I have now given out TA a phone and they say we are not eligible for a refund as we never paid any. We had a cruise booked ,then canceled and re-booked due to the price dropping. It seems that the original booking had a fuel surcharge added but by the time we re-booked it had been removed which probably explains the big price drop.

Our TA explained that it had been complicated and had effected many people differently because Princess had originally no fuel charge, then added a charge, then increased it, then dropped it. So obviously it's not when you are cruising but when you actually booked.

Hi Pretenda

I have now given out TA a phone and they say we are not eligible for a refund as we never paid any. We had a cruise booked ,then canceled and re-booked due to the price dropping. It seems that the original booking had a fuel surcharge added but by the time we re-booked it had been removed which probably explains the big price drop.

Our TA explained that it had been complicated and had effected many people differently because Princess had originally no fuel charge, then added a charge, then increased it, then dropped it. So obviously it's not when you are cruising but when you actually booked.

It is a complicated issue isn't it!!:eek: Still - in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be too much money, but we'll wait and see what happens.

Our best wishes for a Happy New Year and a great forthcoming cruise.

Glenda and Tony

Archived