Save up to 72%

Sharicruz

..FDR has a different mentality from all the rest of the CEO's of cruise lines ...
In fact FDR is either particularly wise or lucky. He presumably (or appears to have, correct me if I am wrong) sold most of his shares to Apolo last year at the peak of the market, to become an empolyee himslef. This way, he has made maximum profit for himself and won't get really hurt by the present (and subsequent) economic tsunami, especially with two large newbuilds to contend with! This way, if things turn out well in the future, he will be a hero, and if not, he can still keep his already made profits and move on to something else.

.....they may do it in places you wont see it, UK, Australia, interline TA's etc. but not where the general public here in the states will know about it..

Jancruz1

Australia is essentially a non existent market for O (except, of course, Jennie and a few others). There are many other lines cruising there (Princess, RCI, HAL, P&O, etc). I visit the P&O Australia forum quite frequently (have a few Australia cruises coming up) and there is never any mention of Oceania on that forum. When I once suggested O as an alternative to HAL or Celebrity (leaving Australia) there was no response.

I know that most Aussies would use O to cruise in Europe and other places (not in OZ/NZ) - even then they prefer P&O UK or Cunard for those destinations. They are a very small minority of O customers and with their $ down I don't think FDR can heavily count on them (unless he sweetens the pot a lot).

O's revenue has to come from US predominantly, IMO.

Let's hear from the Aussies.

Australia is essentially a non existent market for O (except, of course, Jennie and a few others). There are many other lines cruising there (Princess, RCI, HAL, P&O, etc). I visit the P&O Australia forum quite frequently (have a few Australia cruises coming up) and there is never any mention of Oceania on that forum. When I once suggested O as an alternative to HAL or Celebrity (leaving Australia) there was no response.

I know that most Aussies would use O to cruise in Europe and other places (not in OZ/NZ) - even then they prefer P&O UK or Cunard for those destinations. They are a very small minority of O customers and with their $ down I don't think FDR can heavily count on them (unless he sweetens the pot a lot).

O's revenue has to come from US predominantly, IMO.

Let's hear from the Aussies.

Here's an example of one of the discounted cruises on offer to Aussies at the moment:-

Istanbul to Venice

14 Day Voyage

Sail Dates Abroard Regatta

October 17, 2009

Inside Stateroom from $12,462 5,155

Ocean View Stateroom from $13,362 5,665

Verandah Stateroom from $15,477 7,350

Concierge Level Verandah from $16,042 7,685

All prices are cruise only per person in AUD, based on double occupancy in category G, D, B2 & A3 & include port taxes,

government fees and gratuities. Prices are subject to availability and currency fluctuations, include all discounts and may be

withdrawn without notice. For full terms and conditions see the Oceania Cruises 2009 European Collection brochure or visit

www.OceaniaCruises.com.au

We would be tempted to book another cruise for later this year, but unfortunately it appears PH1's are *not* being discounted at this stage.

I hope Cruise Critic posters will regularly post this type of information (without infringing on copyrights) on this board. While ANY cruise line is free to set their prices in any market, it is nice that with the internet and helpful public forums like this one, ordinary individual consumers can get as much information as possible, and then make their considered decisions based on knowledge. We should all thank the owners, staff and volunteer hosts of this board in providing us all such a forum.

Shari,

Will this apply to existing bookings as well?

It better apply to existing bookings, or they can say goodbye to our reservation and those of our 14 friends. I feel badly that the economy is hurting the cruise industry (and us) but I expect to receive a reasonable discount on our upcoming cruise or we will cancel. We love Oceania (this will be our third trip with them) and we were looking forward to our upcoming Oct 09 cruise with many of our friends, but reality requires that we make some adjustments to our expenses and, I suspect, that Oceania needs to make some adjustments to keep their passengers. I hope that we can come to an agreement and have another great cruise with Oceania.

It better apply to existing bookings, or they can say goodbye to our reservation and those of our 14 friends. I feel badly that the economy is hurting the cruise industry (and us) but I expect to receive a reasonable discount on our upcoming cruise or we will cancel. We love Oceania (this will be our third trip with them) and we were looking forward to our upcoming Oct 09 cruise with many of our friends, but reality requires that we make some adjustments to our expenses and, I suspect, that Oceania needs to make some adjustments to keep their passengers. I hope that we can come to an agreement and have another great cruise with Oceania.

Well said PK227.

Even though Shari had said a few days ago that she would have the answer "by tomorrow", I don't believe I saw her answer on this topic.

We received a wonderful discount from the Oceania "Sale", and it was quite substantial, we have lost a couple cruisers on our 09/04/09 Athens to Rome sailing, however with the discounts Oceania has done and will do for all sailings booked per our TA this may bring the cruisers back., THANKS OCEANIA for making your customer base, and past customers happy, in this crazy economic life we live today...thanks again...

• 1 month later...

Sharicruz,

Are you a TA who fits the bill of an experienced "Oceania" TA?

I am a novice at these boards, we are contemplating an Oceania cruise for next year and we are soon to start the search for the best way to book our celebratory trip.

Your comments and help to others have been - IMHO - seemingly unbiased and straightforward. That combined with a philosophy of life in which I will take what people say at their word...with a grain of salt...until they prove otherwise. I appreciate those who try and help others without expecting something in return.

If you are a TA could you please let me know the best way to contact you, professionally.

Thanks

OCEANIA CRUISES CELEBRATES ITS FIFTH ANNIVERSARY WITH UPRECEDENTED SAVINGS

Celebration of Savings Kicks Off on January 7th

Miami, FL, December 29, 2008 – On January 7th Oceania Cruises will launch its largest promotion ever with unprecedented price reductions on more than 40 voyages. To celebrate its Fifth Anniversary, exceptional savings will be offered on the lines most alluring voyages in Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand, South America and the Caribbean.

The Celebration of Savings begins January 7th and will offer additional Bonus Savings off existing 2 for 1 Cruise Fares, resulting in historic savings of up to 72% on select sailings.

“As we celebrate our 5th Anniversary, there is no better time to underscore the unrivaled value that the Oceania Cruises Experience represents. Moving forward into 2009, we want to offer our guests enhanced value and lower cruise fares, and for our agents partners to reap greater rewards for all of their support over the past five years,” stated Bob Binder, President of Oceania Cruises.

With Free Airfare from 20 North American Gateways and Bonus Savings on top of 2 For 1 Cruise Fares, the Oceania Cruises Experience will represent the greatest vacation value ever. Specific details on pricing, value-added amenities and departure dates will be announced on Monday, January 5th.

The Celebration of Savings will officially kick off on Wednesday January 7th and these historic savings are certain to generate extraordinary demand.

Shari

CCC Member

Unfortunately, the rules of this forum prohibit Shari or any other agent from soliciting for business, and even go so far as to prevent the rest of us from making any recommendations. Even the posting of one's email for the purpose of passing along agent recommendations is outlawed. You might try clicking on various members' user names to see if they have listed any personal websites or blogs.

They should be discounting. We were on the 12 day Miami to Miama last year (2008) and the price for an OS was $6,800. The same cruise, with out any special promo plans, in 2010 is $9,999. Ouch!!!

Mark

:confused:Hi everyone,

For the last couple of weeks we've been getting lots of Oceania mail. Actually I don't know how they got my information but oh well. We are looking at their 2 for 1 fares but don't exactly understand what it means.. for example the brochure says...August 9, 2009 14 DAy on Insignia....Barcelona to Istanbul....the 2 for 1 fare is $4,299. The special offer per guest is $3,799. Does that mean if I want to book a cabin double occupancy our price is $4,299 for the total cabin or just one person? It also includes Free Airfare. This seems unbelieveable. I would appreciate if one of you experiened Oceania cruisers can explain it to me. Thanks so much!!

:confused:Hi everyone,

...Barcelona to Istanbul....the 2 for 1 fare is $4,299. The special offer per guest is $3,799. Does that mean if I want to book a cabin double occupancy our price is $4,299 for the total cabin or just one person? It also includes Free Airfare.

Prices are PP

The airfare is included in that price but not the related taxes

You can opt out of the included air & they will give you a credit for the airfare thus reducing the price

EG: $3799 pp less air credit of $800. (just guessing a number) new cruise price $2999. + taxes etc...

Another way to look at it -- the original brochure price would have been $8,598 per person. The 2-for-1 price means that 2 people can sail for $8,598. or $4,299 per person. This is the same as saying a 50% discount from the brochure price. The sale price is a reduction of a further $500 per person. The total price for 2 people using the sale price would be $7,598.

Like almost all cruise lines, this price does not include the fees that have been traditionally called "port fees and taxes". In Oceania'a case, they are called government fees and taxes, and include things like security charges. This amount varies by the ports visited, the number of passengers and the latest government policies, so is therefore calculated based onthe cruise lines best estimate. They can add anywhere from one to several hundred dollars; fort planning purposes you could stick in $300 per person and you would not be far off. That raises the price to about $4,100 per person.

Next, a brief discussion of the "free air". Air fares are divided into the actual fare and various taxes, fees and possible surcharges. Oceania includes the air fare portion in their cruise price,but addes the fees and taxes as a separate invoice item. The last couple of flights we have taken have averaged around $400 per person for the air taxes, and this amount, too, must be added to the invoice. The price is now up to about $4,500 per person.

Oceania also typically adds transfer fees from airport to ship and vice versa, anywhere from $75 to $150 or more per person. For planning purposes, call it $100 per person, or a new total of $4,600 per person.

Finally, unless you instruct them to leave it off, they will typically add trip insurance to the invoice. I don't know what this averages, as my travel agent knows to leave it off my invoice.

Depending on your confidence in your ability to make your own transfer arrangements, that's the first thing that most experienced Oceania passengers have removed; it is almost always possible to arrange transfers for a lower price. However, you should remember that the transfers are going to cost something.

As Lyn has said, you can have the "free air" deleted and receive a credit. The credit is different for every cruise; she suggested $800 for planning; I might suggest $600 based on my invoices. Whatever the amount, when you delete the "free air", the credit amount is subtracted from the cruise fare and the associated air taxes and fees are removed from your invoice. If you use $600 for the credit and $400 for the taxes and fees, this will result in a lowering of the bottom line on your invoice of $1,000 per person, However, remember that you will still have to pay something to fly to and from the beginning and end of the cruise, If you can do it for less than $1,000 (in the example above), you would take the credit and book it yourself. If it would cost you more, typically you would let Oceania provide the air.

You should know that if you plan to use air miles to pay for a portion of the fare or upgrade to a better class, you are better off taking the credit and booking yoiur own.

Most people worry that if they take the free air, the flights will be the worst possible. That has not been my experience; Oceania goes out of their way to provide a decent combination of flights. However, once you book your cruise, and once the flight schedule for your trip opens up, you can ask Oceania to propose a deviation. Typically, this is done because you want to arrive earlier or depart later. Oceania will research the flights and offer you a proposal. If they can accommodate your preferred schedule for their amount they will do so; if there is an additional charge to accommodate your schedule, they will let you know in the proposal. You do not have to accept it, but if yhou do, they will charge you an administrative fee of $75 per person plus the upcharge, if any. We have had one deviation for no additional fee and one for $225 per person, which included direct flights in both directions and was worth much more than that.

Once you are reasonably sure you want to take the cruise, you can have a travel agent prepare you an exact quote, including all the options. Or, you can register on the Oceania web site, navigate to the cruise you are thinking about, then choose the "reserve this cruise" option, which will take you to a series of booking screens. You can price it out with and without air, transfers, etc., see what cabins are available and more, all without committing yourself to the cruise until the last moment.

I hope this takes some of the confusion out of the process. I can remember when I first saw the Oceania pricing and was just as confused, if not more so. Thanks to a fantastic agent and this site, I think I finally have it figured out.

So, are you totally confused yet?

I'll try to really simplify it in a moment...

First, just realize that the brochure rate is to be totally disregarded...Nobody ever pays that...I'ts like the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price on Electronics...Don't think you got a great deal on a TV because it's some % off the MSRP...and don't assume "2 for 1" on the brochure rate is a great deal...it's what most of us pay...

And remember regarding "Free Air"--NOTHING is ever really free...In this case, it's really just included in the price...and you can have it waived and get a credit for the real cost...so, there is actually an established price you are paying for it...

Next know that your actual price will bear no resemblance to the brochure price or to the "2 for 1" price...There are lots of extra charges added on...some are mandatory--like fees and taxes...others...like transfers and insurance (and air) can be waived...and you can buy them on your own or not...

Okay...here's the simplified part: Don't even try to figure it out on your own...Go find a good Travel Agent who knows cruises and knows Oceania...and ask the TA to provide you with "bottom line" quotes..."What will this cruise cost me? With air/without air? Inside cabin, balcony cabin, suite? Have them run you comparisons if you want--other dates, other itineraries...even other cruise lines (make sure all quotes are "apples for apples")...

Just don't be shocked when the ads made it look like you were going to cruise for $4,500 total and it comes out more like $7,000...it is what it is...and remember, there are other expenses to budget past there: pre-or post cruise hotels (don't do them through Oceania), port tours or shore excursions, tips, bar bill, etc.

Good luck...

Thank you so much for your responses. Man, I thought it would be simple but I guess nothing about Oceania is simple. My husband and I have always wanted to sail Oceania but we will probably have to still to Celebrity and the other lines until we move up the income scale. For those of you who are lucky to have sailed Oceania, enjoy it for me and you both. Thanks again for the explanation. I am glad I didn't call Oceania and embarrass myself. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Good question - and I see no one has posted a response to your post. These PR ads are very disingenuous and I simply send the web link to my TA to figure out the final pricing. I just did this today - and found out a Silversea cruise which I had calculated out to be approx. $10K was actually $20K. Crazy!

Archived