Wine allowance on Princess?

burm

I had no problem bringing alcohol on Royal Caribbean. In fact the only line I've been on that I've seen them enforce not bringing alcohol on board is NCL.

The royal caribbean does not allow any kind of alcohol brought aboard. However, pax frequently bring it in their checked luggage. There have been reports where it was discovered before being taken to the individual staterooms and was taken.

I brought 7 bottles of wine aboard on the two Princess cruises without any problem. I hand carried them to make sure they arrived safe and were not subjected to any rough behavior. I paid the corking fee at dinner every night. It became a game with our waiter as to which wine we had brought that night.

As for bringing prohibited alcohol onboard in my checked luggage, I would never do such a thing.

18.gif

I called Princess today and asked how much wine one could carry onboard. They said one bottle per person and if they found more it would be confiscated. I said that on their website there was no limit and she responded "yes, but....."

The contract is an overall legal document. The contract does not say much about smoking -- that does not mean one could wave the contract and smoke in the Dining Room.

This is from the Princess Website;

"

Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise, prior to your disembarkation. You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee*.

*Charges are subject to change.

I called Princess today and asked how much wine one could carry onboard. They said one bottle per person and if they found more it would be confiscated. I said that on their website there was no limit and she responded "yes, but....."

Interesting that this topic came up. About a month ago I e:mailed Princess suggesting that when cruising the Med. they would perhaps appeal to more wine drinking people if their policy wasn't just restricted to one or two bottles and at embarkation only. Being able to openly bring wine on in Italy, France, Spain etc. would be very appealing. Low and behold, I got a phone call today wanting to talk to me about my suggestion. I'll be calling them back in the morning. I was pretty impressed they called. Of course we know they don't enforce it, but hell, if you're not going to enforce, advertise that you'll allow it.

I think their allowing wine to be brought onboard to be consumed in your stateroom is lovely, but I think it is extremely rude to carry a glass of your own wine into the dining room.

Those of you who do that will certainly spoil it for us who like to have a drink in our stateroom prior to dinner and we order a bottle of their wine for dinners.

Even tho this is now owned by Carnival Corp., don't make it into a Carnival ship.

I know this is a Princess thread, but do Royal Caribbean or the other lines allow you to bring wine aboard?

I had one bottle of wine in my suitcase and I was called down to security and they took it from me and kept it until we disembarked. This was on the Adventure of the Seas in March 2008.

I had one bottle of wine in my suitcase and I was called down to security and they took it from me and kept it until we disembarked. This was on the Adventure of the Seas in March 2008.

Being "called down to security" sounds scary. I wonder why they didn't just confiscate it when they found it.

Robgvic, that is a very reasonable and good question. The ships stopped selling hard liquor as well as not allowing one to bring it onboard. They have allowed a bottle or two of wine to be brought on board, and you can order it from their gift dept. For a while HAL stopped allowing any kind of "gift" purchase.

They are in business to make money, and the bars do bring in a nice sum.

We travel mainly Oceania, and they allow you to bring on as much as you wish but ask that your personal liquor not be consumed in the public areas. Everyone abides by that, thank heavens, for if they didn't, Oceania would probably stop that privilege. My allegiance has gone to Oceania because of that--well, not only that as they are a fabulous line.

I guess it is up to the ship's staff to monitor that.

A wine group that was with us on the Island brought 60 cases. :eek:

We took 5 cases on an 18 day cruise with 4 people and a visit with relatives in NYC!!!

I always print out a copy of the Cruise Contract as a "just in case". We put the wine in a shipping container and off it goes with the luggage.

Of course, we only do this when we are leaving from our home port.....like in April :D:D:D

Cheers, Denise

Spendrift:i certainly agree that the ships are in the business of making money. Sometimes i wish they would just raise the fares instead of making up the money through liquor and excursions. When i have a balcony or mini suite we want to be able to enjoy sitting outside and having a quiet drink. I enjoy getting away from the "maddening crowds sometimes".

I understand that with holand america you can buy larger bottles of liquor at rates maybe $5 above the price of their duty free and then drink in your cabin.

I hear that oceana is doing a great job. I love princess but have thought of them several times. I remember seeing a repositioning cruise from rio to barcelona a few years ago starting at about $1200 for 18 days and it included air. Obviously they were just trying to get known when they were new.

We travel mainly Oceania, and they allow you to bring on as much as you wish but ask that your personal liquor not be consumed in the public areas. Everyone abides by that, thank heavens, for if they didn't, Oceania would probably stop that privilege. My allegiance has gone to Oceania because of that--well, not only that as they are a fabulous line.

Keeping your post in mind I just booked my first Oceania cruise. To my dismay, they told me that we are only allowed 3 bottles per cabin. :mad: And I was so excited to think we could take a case.

Can we take wine to the dining room if we keep it in the brown paper bag? :D In a discrete thermal mug with a lid? :p

So my question is, do you all bring your wine from home or do you buy it brfore you get on the ship?

If you bring it from home what is the best way to transport it? You can't carry it on the plane. If you buy it before you get on the ship where id the best place to get it? Do you think the shuttle would stop on the way to the ship?

I prefer to bring wine from home. I used the 3 bottle cardboard and styrofoam wine shipping cartons that I've saved, sealed it, and packed it in checked luggage.

Being "called down to security" sounds scary. I wonder why they didn't just confiscate it when they found it.

My suitcase had a TSA lock on it PLUS their rules were that they can not open the bag or suitcase without the owner being there.

It was embarrassing to say the least! It was just one bottle ~ oh well

$15.00. We were charged the corkage once but not the second time on our most recent cruise.

Is it standard policy to charge corkage only once or did you get a kind waiter? It would certainly save a lot of money if you only paid once on a 14 day cruise.

Not so. It entirely depends on the Maitre D' / Headwaiter. But if one buys a few bottles in the dining room then more likely a few of your own will not be charged corkage.

Is it standard policy to charge corkage only once or did you get a kind waiter? It would certainly save a lot of money if you only paid once on a 14 day cruise.

I have carried many a glass of wine or champagne to the dining room after the Captains Return Cruisers Party and also while waiting in one of the bars before dinner. Never a problem!

Archived