Tipping styles on Celebrity

JahHaus

I'm eagerly looking forward to our 10-day cruise on Constellation in two weeks and want to inquire about various tipping styles...specifically, which style has the most impact on service. Of course, most cruisers settle with the envelopes at the end of the cruise, but, I've heard some say they tip in advance...others tip partially at the start of the cruise and give the rest on the final day. Which has been most effective for you...and why?

Some have tried tipping in advance and the workers have refused it because they view it as an insult to their abilities. Some see pre-tipping as a bribe and not a tip. Do you go to a nice restaurant and give your server their tip before you eat the meal? No, and I don't know anyone who does that. In all my cruises, I've never tipped early and I've always had good service. If you have a bad, lazy worker, they will be that way whether you tip early or not.

Boy, do I agree with Kitty9!!! Who ever heard of going into a restaurant and tipping before you order and are served? Do you tip your hairdresser before she does your hair? Those are bribes, not tips, and the waiter or steward has every right to be insulted. But there are people who do it all the time thinking they are buying something beyond what they would get if they tipped after the fact:(

I had pre-paid gratuities on my last cruise, and switched to a CC cabin once on board. I knew the prepaid amount wasn't enough to cover the CC steward. So, on the first day, I handed him $20. His response: "What's the matter?" He wasn't insulted, just confused! He was okay, not great (two or three times I didn't receive the daily program the night before, for instance) and if I hadn't tipped him up front I probably wouldn't have given him any extra at the end.

Our waiter and assistant, however, were just excellent and we happily tipped them both extra on the last night. I think from now on I will stick to handing out the tips at the end of the journey.

Cathy

I'm eagerly looking forward to our 10-day cruise on Constellation in two weeks and want to inquire about various tipping styles...specifically, which style has the most impact on service. Of course, most cruisers settle with the envelopes at the end of the cruise, but, I've heard some say they tip in advance...others tip partially at the start of the cruise and give the rest on the final day. Which has been most effective for you...and why?

Why would you tip in advance? When you go to a resturant do you pay in advance? I always tip at the end and usually give extra if I think the service people added value to my enjoyment of the cruise. If the service is there then be known as a generous tipper. If the service is not there then be stingy. Hint: Celebrity cruise line has excellent service.

He was okay, not great (two or three times I didn't receive the daily program the night before, for instance) and if I hadn't tipped him up front I probably wouldn't have given him any extra at the end.
This doesn't make sense to me. I would you feel compelled to tip him extra at the end? You had already given him a bonus.

On our most recent Celebrity cruise, I took advantage of charging the tips to our account. I received vouchers to hand over to our cabin steward and dining room personnel. I put them in the envelopes and got to give the envelopes to each person as if they were traditional ones with cash in them. I liked that system.

This doesn't make sense to me. I would you feel compelled to tip him extra at the end? You had already given him a bonus.

Celebrity apply a higher rate tip for CC cabins and suites than for staterooms, so the tip paid initially wasn't enough.

Yeah, that's what I took it as meant. The $20 was given to meet the difference, but if she hadn't been aware of the difference herself when changing cabins or brought up the matter at the beginning (so that it hadn't been paid then), the service may not have impressed enough to warrant any further tip at the end.

Archived