Possible CC Cruise to Alaska??

kellywhitehills

I saw that, still hard to find good info on the CCL site, I called my PVP for details.

I'm currently planning a group for what looks like July 6th for the RT from Seattle.

I like the idea of one airport, and simple air travel planning.

Dennis

I have emailed Cruise Critic twice now for pricing..I am sure they will be back to me soon....

The cruise is for Sept 7th..Leaves Seattle and arrives in Vancouver...R/T airfare to Seattle will be possible....SOO here we sit still waiting for pricing!

Kelly

I just found your post, I also am trying to plan a group cruise to Alaska. I was thinking on May 11, 2010. I am waiting on them to get back to me. I have never been to Alaska and it is one I have been hoping to go on for some time but when you add plane fare from the East coast, it has always been a dream. I am going to make it a reality in 2010. I love your pics, they just make me even more excited.

its a bummer that so many are dismissing a seattle to seattle cruise due to the glacier bay thing. Ive seen it twice, and after the first it became a been there done that experience, but doing an excursion out of one of the ports where you literally fly right over the glacier is priceless. in fact my pilot said for an extra fee he would land up there, I said no way to that. Its a long way back if something went wrong.

For many people Glaciers are the biggest reason they want to cruise Alaska....Only 25% of the cruise ships that sail Tracy Arm get close enough to view the Glaciers at the end...Not a very good itinerary for Glacier viewing...For me Tracy Arm cruising is much better via small boat..The Sawyer Glaciers are not that big in the first place but getting up so close to them in a small boat is awesome,..From a cruise ship just not that awesome like say Glacier Bay...But then thats my opinion..:)

Flight seeing has piqued my interest but its just sooo expensive..I would much rather sit out up front and close to a glacier really getting to study it and feel the cold breeze coming from it..watching the seals and if we get lucky enough to see and hear it calve and fall into the water...This dosent mean I would never do a Glacier Flight seeing excursion..But I am a nervous flyer and I know I would prefer my viewing the other way..:)

its a bummer that so many are dismissing a seattle to seattle cruise due to the glacier bay thing. Ive seen it twice, and after the first it became a been there done that experience, but doing an excursion out of one of the ports where you literally fly right over the glacier is priceless. in fact my pilot said for an extra fee he would land up there, I said no way to that. Its a long way back if something went wrong.

The reason I would dismiss RT from Seattle instead of Vancouver is due to the route the ship takes. Cruising on the west side of Vancouver Island and spending time in the open water is not my idea of a scenic inside passage cruise. Did that one time and I won't make that mistake again. I could sail Glacier Bay and the surrounding area of Stephens Pass many more times for all the marine life in the area...so this is just the icing on the cake for me :D

The reason I would dismiss RT from Seattle instead of Vancouver is due to the route the ship takes. Cruising on the west side of Vancouver Island and spending time in the open water is not my idea of a scenic inside passage cruise. Did that one time and I won't make that mistake again. I could sail Glacier Bay and the surrounding area of Stephens Pass many more times for all the marine life in the area...so this is just the icing on the cake for me :D

Linda I agree with you there!...a whole day cruising the open ocean is kind of a waste for an Alaskan cruise..But then there are a lot of people who like to cruise the ocean...I am just not happy with this move by Carnival...But there are alot of people who are..:)..Plus you lose an Alaskan port Sitka in favor of Victoria....I am just glad they still offer one Glacier bay sailing..

Linda I agree with you there!...a whole day cruising the open ocean is kind of a waste for an Alaskan cruise..But then there are a lot of people who like to cruise the ocean...I am just not happy with this move by Carnival...But there are alot of people who are..:)..Plus you lose an Alaskan port Sitka in favor of Victoria....I am just glad they still offer one Glacier bay sailing..

Yes, a bit of a bummer for sure. On the one RT I did from SEA - the first port was Juneau so we sailed the outside passage the entire 1st day (until after midnight) before our arrival in port. :(

We missed out on the scenic daytime cruising and marine life spotting. Since we headed out after 10 pm from Juneau in route to Hubbard Glacier we missed cruising this awesome area again (in daylight).

The entrance to Glacier Bay is just too good to miss!

So a lot depends on the actual itinerary you sail.....

Kelly, one more thing.... Have we seen the actual itinerary?

Going later in September is not so great either as I was hoping to do that first week.

I posted the one I found either the page back or 2 pages back. Tue-tue sailing.

"Prior to the start-up of the new program, Carnival Spirit will operate two special voyages – a six-day Inside Passage voyage from Vancouver to Seattle departing May 5, 2010 and a seven-day Glacier Bay cruise from Seattle to Vancouver Sept. 7, 2010. Both voyages include a cruise through the Inside Passage along with port calls at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan; and the seven-day cruise also includes a day of cruising in spectacular Glacier Bay."

Looks like the one we want may have Glacier Bay. I read a post earlier that someone was able to book it already through their TA

Yes, and thanks for posting the information on the ports for the Sept 7 sailing. I was hoping to see an actual itinerary with port times and route. Sometimes the cruise lines say "inside passage" and you actual sail to the west of Vancouver Island - which is usually the case when leaving Seattle. If so, and Juneau is the first port that means a long first day and night in open seas with land barely visible.

On the plus side since this cruise will end in Vancouver that should mean that we sail the last full day on the east side of Vancouver Island which I have never done :) From what I have read that is very scenic and lots of marine life is in the area :D

Tue, Sep 7Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 pm Wed, Sep 8At Sea -- -- Thu, Sep 9Juneau, Alaska 2:00 pm 11:00 pm Fri, Sep 10Cruise Glacier Bay -- -- Sat, Sep 11Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 4:30 pm Sun, Sep 12Ketchikan, Alaska 11:00 am 7:00 pm Mon, Sep 13Cruise Inside Passage -- -- Tue, Sep 14Vancouver, British Columbia 7:00 am --

here it is, from bottom of last page

Thank you so much. Don't know how I missed that!

So with this itinerary - I'm going to have to look for something else. This requires a minimum of 8 days off :( Bummer.....

Tue, Sep 7 Seattle, Washington -- 4:00 pm

Wed, Sep 8 At Sea

Thu, Sep 9 Juneau, Alaska 2:00 pm 11:00 pm

Fri, Sep 10 Cruise Glacier Bay

Sat, Sep 11 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 4:30 pm

Sun, Sep 12 Ketchikan, Alaska 11:00 am 7:00 pm

Mon, Sep 13 Cruise Inside Passage

Tue, Sep 14 Vancouver, British Columbia 7:00 am

So, after reading as many of the posts as I thought necessary.

Knowing that your Group was first going out of Vanc. BC, but now out of Seattle.

Do you still have a group going?

I see it is only $35pp to get on Amtrak out of Vanc. to Seattle

Not sure what the Carnival might offer...

And this could be a trip of a life time, with the Glacier Bay included.

The only cruise I have ever been on was the Spirit last Nov.

I only heard other cruisers saying what a beautiful ship she is...I agree

If we go on her, I want my same Cabin guy too! Constantin, He was wonderful!

Only I will be with the hubby, so we will be looking into an Ocean view or Balcony, depending on price.

So, do you still have a group or what?

We would be looking at 2 cabins, as My sister and hubby will be wanting to cruise too.

So, after reading as many of the posts as I thought necessary.

Knowing that your Group was first going out of Vanc. BC, but now out of Seattle.

Do you still have a group going?

I see it is only $35pp to get on Amtrak out of Vanc. to Seattle

Not sure what the Carnival might offer...

And this could be a trip of a life time, with the Glacier Bay included.

The only cruise I have ever been on was the Spirit last Nov.

I only heard other cruisers saying what a beautiful ship she is...I agree

If we go on her, I want my same Cabin guy too! Constantin, He was wonderful!

Only I will be with the hubby, so we will be looking into an Ocean view or Balcony, depending on price.

So, do you still have a group or what?

We would be looking at 2 cabins, as My sister and hubby will be wanting to cruise too.

Kelly (the group leader) posted that she has emailed Laura at Cruise Critic to get pricing for the Sept 7 sailing. So, the group should be ready to go pretty soon :)

Kelly (the group leader) posted that she has emailed Laura at Cruise Critic to get pricing for the Sept 7 sailing. So, the group should be ready to go pretty soon :)

Linda, you still looking at going on the Oasis...

I looked at the photo Janet put up, and I almost am affraid to go on her.

SHE is BIG!

Thanks for the answer by the way.

My hubby said he will only go on a cruise to Alaska,

out of Seattle is great for us, I was thinking a rt,

but if I have to give up a glacier, I might want to try this group.

so I am looking for one with discounts,

so I can do the Dream, and the Oasis :O)

Linda, you still looking at going on the Oasis...

I looked at the photo Janet put up, and I almost am affraid to go on her.

SHE is BIG!

Thanks for the answer by the way.

My hubby said he will only go on a cruise to Alaska,

out of Seattle is great for us, I was thinking a rt,

but if I have to give up a glacier, I might want to try this group.

so I am looking for one with discounts,

so I can do the Dream, and the Oasis :O)

I'm not real excited about her. I think it is too many people trying to get off in the ports and there will probably be lines everywhere! The big problem will more than likely be the rates. For a February sailing they probably will be a too high. I would want a balcony to enjoy on sea days and also to have a quiet sanctuary on a ship that size.....

My guess it once the rates are published I will be out :(

Kelly, I was checking the calendar for this cruise and since Monday, Sept 6 is Labor Day - that will save one vacation day. So it is possible to have 2 full weeks off and only take 9 days (I don't want to return to work mid week after we return).

So, I'm going to see what rates you come up with and then make a decision. If this doesn't work out I may book with Celebrity since the Mercury is returning in 2010 with a RT from Vancouver).

Hope you hear from Laura soon :D

Kelly,

I wasn't able to find anything on the Carnival site but I did find some nice prices on this sailing. Including all taxes and fees:

4A $ 741.70

6A $ 941.70

8A $1191.70

So group pricing should be even better :D

Kelly,

I wasn't able to find anything on the Carnival site but I did find some nice prices on this sailing. Including all taxes and fees:

4A $ 741.70

6A $ 941.70

8A $1191.70

So group pricing should be even better :D

Hi Linda,

I have emailed Laura again!...Hopefully she will get back to me asap....I feel like I am bugging her..But we have all waited soo long!!!! Lets hope things go well and you can still join us!!

Kelly

Archived